• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fuss is that it's a solid, well rounded app that not only handles your SMS, MMS and group texting but also has a cross platform (Android, iOS, PCs) online chat with group video calling capabilities.
It's feature rich and well made. And if you don't like having your chats being synced across devices for seamless hopping between phone, tablet and PC then hope is lost for you my friend.

I beg to differ.

I do not own a tablet and personally do not find the need to send a text message from my computer when my phone is literally two inches away from it to begin with.

Obviously everyone does things in their own unique way, but for me, Hangouts is nothing special and hope is definitely not lost over an app.

Toki767

For people like me, being able to send SMS and whatever from a computer is quite useful since it's a lot less inconspicuous texting from a computer than on your phone all day while you're at work.

Groof

Android |OT4| Everything's amazing and no one's happy
Yep this I like

For people like me, being able to send SMS and whatever from a computer is quite useful since it's a lot less inconspicuous texting from a computer than on your phone all day while you're at work.
It also makes you have to look at your phone less, meaning longer lasting battery life. I won't knock anyone for not using hangouts, but it's certainly way more appealing than most IM apps, especially because your IMs are synced already so no need for backups, and built in SMS backup seems to be coming.

terrier

Yep this I like

It also makes you have to look at your phone less, meaning longer lasting battery life. I won't knock anyone for not using hangouts, but it's certainly way more appealing than most IM apps, especially because your IMs are synced already so no need for backups, and built in SMS backup seems to be coming.

it does not sync sms with desktop hangouts does it?

Telegram is a bit like hangouts,but with the simplicity of whatsapp: multiplatform (still missing from Windows phone too) and desktop client too. Too bad people are hooked to whatsapp, which did two things right at the right time: sync with phone (actual phone numbers) agenda, and allowing to share multimedia . We can also add a very simple interface that helps everyone.

Others came too late, or were there with missing features, like gtalk/hangouts which did not have multimedia sharing capabilities or didn't sync with contacts properly, and i think it still does not allow to send pictures unless a g+ account is activated. Yesterday i was texting with my wife, she sent me messages wia whatsapp and i replied via hangouts all the time. lol. I will never be able to make her leave whatsapp behind. Friends are there, groups are there..... too late.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Android |OT4| We've moved to Hangouts

Man I can't believe how badly I let the OP get out of date. Let me redeem myself, AndroidGAF.
Not a chance. I would like to do it, for once. It will be an epic link to PM someone for the Hangouts invite. That's it.

PriitV

Android |OT4] No consistency

I'm still disappointed that there are #holoyolo blue lines everywhere but the statusbar is white.

Android |OT4|
tumblr_n41i8rNepl1qb1z5go1_400.gif

kehs

Banned
I just got an Appradio 3 on clearance from Future Shop last week. With a rooted phone and arunchained, it's amazing. I use tasker to automate the fiddly stuff like making sure bluetooth is connected. It's the same as having your phone mounted in the dash. There's a GPS injector for it too, that will send the head unit's GPS data to the phone so you can use the increased accuracy from the head unit's GPS with your "unsupported" apps.

I have a Pioneer AppRadio 2, which supposedly lets you plug your phone in and control various apps via the large touchscreen. It's total shit, and everyone should avoid it at all costs.

So I looked at the Pioneer 3, and it looks like they made leaps and bounds between the 2 and 3. People seem to like the 3, but I noticed it's dependent on MHL (RIP Moto G). With root you can control your device from the head which is super cool.

Although I was kinda hoping for a head unit that I didn't have to pull my phone out of my pocket for functionality.

I'm still thinking it might be cheaper/better to get and mount a N7.

---

Google Mobile Bloatware |OT4| Android Edition

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Android |OT4] No consistency

I'm still disappointed that there are #holoyolo blue lines everywhere but the statusbar is white.
Second best option, after mine.

Blablurn

I was hyped for the 1+1 but im not sure anymore. Im thinking about buying the LGG2 now. Can anyone tell me if thats a good idea or do you think i should wait and try to get one?

Karish

Getting the Galaxy S5 (and Gear 2) next week. How can I make the S5 less Samsung-y? All the reviews say the phone itself is amazing but the software lags...

Gwanatu T

I was hyped for the 1+1 but im not sure anymore. Im thinking about buying the LGG2 now. Can anyone tell me if thats a good idea or do you think i should wait and try to get one?

Honestly you can probably sell the G2 for what you buy it for once the 1+1 actually comes out. As far as I know the official 1+1 release date is May 15th, but that might just be for the first batch of invites. What has changed your mind about the phone?

Blablurn

Honestly you can probably sell the G2 for what you buy it for once the 1+1 actually comes out. As far as I know the official 1+1 release date is May 15th, but that might just be for the first batch of invites. What has changed your mind about the phone?

I don't know if I can wait for it :/ I guess I will wait how the launch turns out. For some reason I'm afraid they will fuck it up.

Gwanatu T

I don't know if I can wait for it :/ I guess I will wait how the launch turns out. For some reason I'm afraid they will fuck it up.

I can't wait for it either but I'm trying to force myself to. I'm actually considering getting a G2 in the meantime as well, LOL.

Blablurn

I can't wait for it either but I'm trying to force myself to. I'm actually considering getting a G2 in the meantime as well, LOL.

everything looks good about the g2. great battery, great camera, great display. i just dont like the plastic cover.

but maybe we should wait and stay still.

if the 1+1 wont be available by mid may i might go for the lgg2

Gwanatu T

everything looks good about the g2. great battery, great camera, great display. i just dont like the plastic cover.

but maybe we should wait and stay still.

if the 1+1 wont be available by mid may i might go for the lgg2

Mid May at the earliest for sure. You won't regret the G2, and again the 1+1 is so cheap you can always sell the G2 once it's readily available.

I'd personally stick to Nova launcher but I just like the simple stuff. But yeah any launcher will make the lag go away pretty much.

I vote for Nova launcher as well.

So I looked at the Pioneer 3, and it looks like they made leaps and bounds between the 2 and 3. People seem to like the 3, but I noticed it's dependent on MHL (RIP Moto G). With root you can control your device from the head which is super cool.

Although I was kinda hoping for a head unit that I didn't have to pull my phone out of my pocket for functionality.

I'm still thinking it might be cheaper/better to get and mount a N7.

---

Google Mobile Bloatware |OT4| Android Edition

What I've heard some people do with the appradio is use an android hdmi stick in the radio then use their phone as a portable hotspot for the data connection.

You can get actual android based head units on ebay, but I can't really speak to their quality.

kehs

Banned
What I've heard some people do with the appradio is use an android hdmi stick in the radio then use their phone as a portable hotspot for the data connection.

You can get actual android based head units on ebay, but I can't really speak to their quality.

ThatS pretty genius..interest rising.

Bboy AJ

I keep saying Google is looking to control Android completely. I don't know why you guys keep arguing with me. Google only wants to screw you.

SimleuqiR

I keep saying Google is looking to control Android completely. I don't know why you guys keep arguing with me. Google only wants to screw you.

Eh...Nexus line is full control Google.
The problem is if they shift to this model it won't be "fully control" Google. And that's my problem.

I would love for Google to control Android completely. You said that like it's a bad thing.

Cheebo

Banned
Eh...Nexus line is full control Google

Except most people don't buy phones off contract online. Unless you are sold on contract by all of the big 4 with a lot of marketing then its a niche at best. Which Google doesn't want. Nexus is very much a niche. Having control of a tiny niche really isn't control.

That is sad. I never like the Nexus line that much and after getting a Galaxy Nexus (in the summer after its release) and having a terrible time with it a year later (no Kitkat, everything post 4.1 slowed the device down), I don't think I would've wanted another one, but the Nexus 5 seems like such a good device for its price that it's hard to pass up on it (especially in red). I would've liked to see a follow-up on that model.

Gwanatu T

Looks right. Dual LED flash, heart rate sensor, etc.

I'm all for it. Just keep Android open to the point where we can custom ROM stuff and make sure the modularity of Android doesn't change and I'll be fine with it. More Google control means a better experience for all. There's nothing worse than looking at the Next Big Thing and seeing garbage on there that doesn't belong.

Honestly, if this means that Google can get Verizon to back the fuck down from locking down their phones and putting on shit tons of bloatware, then I'm all for it.

SimleuqiR

Honestly, if this means that Google can get Verizon to back the fuck down from locking down their phones and putting on shit tons of bloatware, then I'm all for it.

That would be the day. I have my doubts.
This "Silver" package thing won't be mandatory, and if OEMs want that Big Red monies they are going to do what big red wants.

Futureman

wait Moto X 1+1 is next month? I thought rumors were August?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom