• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

ty_hot

I knew sony would bring a 4k HDR screen to the market. That is going to be beautiful. And probably thick, to have a big battery. Not a problem though.

neoemonk

Almost got my Pixel today. The box came but there was no phone inside. Someone decided to help themselves to it. I called customer service and they bricked the phone, but now I'm waiting again for a new one to ship.

Saiyan-Rox

Almost got my Pixel today. The box came but there was no phone inside. Someone decided to help themselves to it. I called customer service and they bricked the phone, but now I'm waiting again for a new one to ship.

That;s the 2nd one of these posts i've seen. first one was on reddit.

Jzero

That;s the 2nd one of these posts i've seen. first one was on reddit.

Great, one of the reasons i use Android phones is so people don't want to steal my shit (had 2 iPhones stolen in the past)

RCS is cool and all and a good step up from SMS but it's nowhere near imessage. Benefit of messages on ios is that it's all done in one app and done well from facetime to wifi messaging to sms'ing, etc...

I'm glad google is rallying around Android Messages and I'm glad OEMs are doing the same (fuck you samsung lol) but there's still going to be a separate app where I'm talking to the same people on allo?

Are they going to make Allo the one app that supports everything from desktop clients, to wifi messaging, to SMS which I assume they'll add soon. Or is Android Messages going to have those features as well. But like...what if it doesn't? Are we destined to use separate apps forever?

Their messaging strategy is still dumb as hell.

don't we already have to use separate apps anyway?

it's not like iMessage works on Android

Toki767

Man T-Mobile workers got lifetime 20% off codes for switching from another carrier to the One plan.

If I got one of those codes I'd switch in a heartbeat.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
C5jxwZ7UwAA57Uh.jpg

Sony Xperia 2017

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/835683716051660801

No Love

Banned
there's no reason they can't have one app that does messaging, sms, video calling, has a desktop client, and is pre-installed on all android devices.

They do. It's called Hangouts. They just decided that it's not worth putting 100% into it, hence all the other half-baked messaging apps (my theory).

If they'd just take Hangouts and rename it "Google Messaging" with the same functionality and polish the fuck out of it, they'd have a home run IMO. The foundation is right fucking there!

Toki767

They do. It's called Hangouts. They just decided that it's not worth putting 100% into it, hence all the other half-baked messaging apps (my theory).

If they'd just take Hangouts and rename it "Google Messaging" with the same functionality and polish the fuck out of it, they'd have a home run IMO. The foundation is right fucking there!

They seem so annoyed that businesses liked using Hangouts more than regular people for some reason.

I wish but by designating it for enterprise it basically means they're done with it and will put less effort into it

vivftp

Side finger print sensor again probably means they miss the boat for US yet again.

I really do wonder what it is about the fingerprint sensor that prevents them from using it in the US. Obviously they'd have to pay someone who owns a patent on the tech there, but who is it? And even if they did move the fingerprint sensor to another location, would it really make a difference? Unless they switch to another type of tech they'd still be unable to use it in the US.

Anyways, glad to see the new Ultra variant. I do like that they went with front stereo speakers on it this time, but I think the Premium is going to be my choice this year. The camera on it just sounds too good with that new sensor in its ability to take images in a far shorter timespan than a traditional camera for comparable results, and the larger pixel size should work out nicely for better low light photos. I suppose the 960FPS video mode might be fun as well, we'll have to see.

As the mid-range devices are rumored to support 64GB storage I do hope they offer the Premium in a 128GB variant.

Also on the topic of bezels, I'm absolutely pleased with 'em. The top and bottom bezels aren't likely to be larger than the ones on my Xperia Z Ultra and my thumb is already about 20% too large for those bezels. I spend a lot of time holding my phone in landscape mode and I need something to hold on to.

Jeffrey

Me too before I saw it was S625 :/
It looked quite laggy in a preview which could mean input lag.

The uneven keyboard lighting also looks cheap. Pretty obvious there are only two LEDs.
Check-out-the-image-gallery-3.jpg

Hopefully fixed with production models.

Moto z play is fairly smooth so as long as Blackberry doesn't completely fuck up the skinning it should be fine. Battery life should be insane as well.

vivftp

Soooo did they just reuse the hardware again?

?

Reuse what? The Premium is the only one we have rumored specs on and compared to the last Premium it has some notable spec bumps:

- The 4k display should support hdr so it's a new screen
- The camera should be the new sensor Sony just unveiled with built in DRAM so it can take extremely fast shot and do slow mo at 960 fps
- The phone should be running Snapdragon 835 so the latest processor
- It seems even mid range units will get 64GB of storage so the Premium should get the same or more. Plus either 4 or 6 gigs of RAM depending on the leaked rumors

And we'll have to wait and see what else it might have. Based on the pic tho it has a headphone jack, stereo front speakers, a camera shutter button and will likely be waterproof. If it's like previous Xperias it should still support expandable storage.

I really do wonder what it is about the fingerprint sensor that prevents them from using it in the US. Obviously they'd have to pay someone who owns a patent on the tech there, but who is it? And even if they did move the fingerprint sensor to another location, would it really make a difference? Unless they switch to another type of tech they'd still be unable to use it in the US.

Anyways, glad to see the new Ultra variant. I do like that they went with front stereo speakers on it this time, but I think the Premium is going to be my choice this year. The camera on it just sounds too good with that new sensor in its ability to take images in a far shorter timespan than a traditional camera for comparable results, and the larger pixel size should work out nicely for better low light photos. I suppose the 960FPS video mode might be fun as well, we'll have to see.

As the mid-range devices are rumored to support 64GB storage I do hope they offer the Premium in a 128GB variant.

Also on the topic of bezels, I'm absolutely pleased with 'em. The top and bottom bezels aren't likely to be larger than the ones on my Xperia Z Ultra and my thumb is already about 20% too large for those bezels. I spend a lot of time holding my phone in landscape mode and I need something to hold on to.

i think the real point is they charge the same kinda cash as everyone else but you don't get to use the FP sensor. why would you as a consumer support that with your hard earned money?

vivftp

i think the real point is they charge the same kinda cash as everyone else but you don't get to use the FP sensor. why would you as a consumer support that with your hard earned money?

Well I would get to use it here in Canada just fine. I don't know what the deal is with the USA and the fingerprint sensor, and if it will ever become available there officially. I know there are workarounds where you can use it as the hardware is all present, but that's up to the individual user if they want to take those extra steps.

Everyone else: Let's move to minimal bezels, or even edge screens to eliminate them altogether!

HTC and Google: I like bezels. They're quaint.

Sony: MAKE BEZEL BIGGERRRRRRRR

Groof

I bet they went like but that's how people differentiate our phones when their designers tried to remove the bezels

LeleSocho

Banned
You guys are nuts with your obsessions of the above and below bezels, the Pixel looks great and so does the Xperia, the important thing is to trim the side bezels.

You guys are nuts with your obsessions of the above and below bezels, the Pixel looks great and so does the Xperia, the important thing is to trim the side bezels.

I would be okay with bezels if it meant that Google world sell their phone in more then for countries. It's baffles me they aren't selling it across Europe.

Saiyan-Rox

I see Google Assisstant is coming to all devices after all

That 700 quid (Or contract in my case) for a few months exclusive was really worth it....not!

Still happy for Nexus owners though.

yogloo

I am so incredibly happy with my p9. Thanks for everyone who recommended it to me.
The fake bokeh is amazing at the right condition.

G6 is meh. Only thing it has that I want is the IP68 rating. It'll probably get at least $650. Makes my $360 V20 a much better buy. Also no Quad DAC in the USA? LOL wtf?

yagal

Hi-Fi DAC

LG G6 with Hi-Fi DAC on board for high-quality audio will only be sold in South Korea and select other Asian markets. Again, LG claimed that this move was necessary due to the local consumers love for higher quality audio. Again, this data is coming from a research LG made on its own.

Wireless charging

Only the US version of the LG G6 will support wireless charging. LG described its decision to make this feature a US exclusive due to local consumers' love for this charging solution. G6 users sporting a non-US unit will have to resort to wired charging like it's 2007. At least Quick Charging 3.0 is present on all units - a minor consolation price!
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Dont...-only-Asian-ones-will-get-Hi-Fi-audio_id91432

RoyPlease.png

lawdjspel.png

Ahahaha man, just got a nice surprise at work right now. Just got my hands on a P10 right after the announcement.

First impressions of the design is I actually like it. Much better live than in the stock photos we got today. It was the black version. I thought it was a step up from the P9.

Top Bottom