• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Mr.Shrugglesツ;231063036 said:
9voEUWV.png

yes pls

What happens if people start buying these to stick on phones and Nintendo Switch bombs?

clav

If you ever been to a GAF meetup, you would think Nintendo is not failing as you're the odd one out if you didn't bring one of Nintendo's portable devices.

Yep. Maybe a little sooner in the UK, but in continental Europe looking to be mid April. Does LG know how to take the wind out of their own sails (or sales ho ho) or what.

This reminds me of when they said they were the first device with nougat but they actually didn't ship until after Pixel.

Mindwipe

Aren't there gamepad attachments available for iPhone/iPad? If these have never taken off for the iPhone it won't take off on a Moto product.

Yes, but they were a) crap (Apple mandated things like the microswitch supplier, and as per usual know fuck all about gaming so got it horribly wrong), b) were on a platform that doesn't allow emulation and c) were incredibly expensive due to Apple's rent seeking - like literally four times what they were worth.

Of course, these are handicapped by being tied to Moto. If Samsung had one of these for the S8 I think it could do pretty well tbh.

EmiPrime

Yeah I'm really interested to see how oneplus keeps up. They can't release a better spec'd 3T. Radio silence on pixel 2 is a bit worrying but we'll see. I want it to be a hard decision come sept/oct but so far it's not seeming like it will be.

Only time will tell.

Yeah just a spec bump from One Plus and Google won't cut it. I'm glad Apple have finally come around on on-screen buttons and battery size if the leaks are to be believed. Hopefully iOS11 will finally get notifications right: just copy Android!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yeah just a spec bump from One Plus and Google won't cut it. I'm glad Apple have finally come around on on-screen buttons and battery size if the leaks are to be believed. Hopefully iOS11 will finally get notifications right: just copy Android!

One Plus is fine with a spec bump. Even with the $30 price hike that shit is still mad cheap compared to the Pixel and iPhone.

Spec bump with a non pentile screen and better camera is a win.

Google has more to worry about as the Pixel 2 won't be $500-. It'll be like $650+ depending upon which size you get. That iPhone 8 is hawt, but that shit gonna cost you a 1000 bones.

Jeffrey

Dude, the Mate 9 Pro is basically a novelty item that selling for 1,000 EUR. I mean, it's cool, but unless money is no object for you it shouldn't really enter into the discussion. The P10 Plus (128GB+6GB RAM version) is going to retail for EUR 750 in my area, same price as the LG G6 and only 90 EUR more than the regular Mate 9. Compared to the Mate 9: higher res screen, better cameras and smaller size (and still with a hefty 3,750mah battery), exactly what I was looking for. So I guess Huawei's too many phones strategy worked out in one case, haha, because I'm pre-ordering it. Blue or black though...

Really? I'm seeing new mate 9 pro for about $800 or less on ebay here.

ty_hot

The LG G6 is so beautiful. Shame they are using the 821 still, noone on their right mind will pay flagship launch price for it.

And LG is now talking about how they optimized the software for the 821 and that they expect it to have a 835 performance lol.

Took a train here in Barcelona, it was never so crowded, specially for a Sunday. MWC brings lots of people here. Wish I could be there. This is me begging for a free ticket in case you have one. Pm me. Thanks... Not gonna happen :(

Gotta admit I really like how the LG G6 looks after all. I don't know if it is because it looks a lot like the Jet Black iPhone or what but it looks pretty great. I cannot wait to see how the Galaxy S8 looks since rumors indicate it will have a larger screen and even smaller bezels than the G6.

Quasar

The new 3310 certainly is interesting. Probably the thing that worries me is the 2.5G internet. Not that you'd need faster internet on such a phone, but here at least we're seeing older networks shut down so just how long will it be able to connect to networks.

If you ever been to a GAF meetup, you would think Nintendo is not failing as you're the odd one out if you didn't bring one of Nintendo's portable devices.

I've been to a GAF meetup and no one had Nintendo portables.

There was a TV in the living room with random people playing Mario Kart on it the whole time though. Most of us were outside around a grill though. There was food, so no time was wasted on video games.

The new 3310 certainly is interesting. Probably the thing that worries me is the 2.5G internet. Not that you'd need faster internet on such a phone, but here at least we're seeing older networks shut down so just how long will it be able to connect to networks.

They are actively shutting down the old 2G networks in the US because of the desperate clawing back of scarce spectrum. This isn't really such a big problem elsewhere in the world, where the frequencies on which GSM operate have been standards for decades and many many devices still depend on it, especially in developing countries. The new 3310 will work where it needs to.

The Cowboy

As an owner of the S7 edge, the G6 is the phone I'll be buying. I really like the 90% screen front, but I really don't like the edge on the S7 edge/S8 (I've tried to get used to it, but it just annoys me more than it helps).

Hopefully it'll be priced a bit lower than the regular S8.

Volotaire

As an owner of the S7 edge, the G6 is the phone I'll be buying. I really like the 90% screen front, but I really don't like the edge on the S7 edge/S8 (I've tried to get used to it, but it just annoys me more than it helps).

If it helps, the Note 7 reduced the degree to which the screen is 'edged' from the S7. The edged screen shifted focus from additional utility to aesthetics. The S8 seems to be adopting the Note 7 approach.

Really? I'm seeing new mate 9 pro for about $800 or less on ebay here.
On Ebay yeah, but for my purposes I'm sticking to availability at local retailers. That's one of the reasons I don't go for the OP3T despite loving its specs and price. If I'm having problems I want to be able to walk into a shop, not chase after a dude in China.

Vanillalite

I fail to see the appeal of the Nokia lineup.

Why wouldn't you just get the Moto?

Also I'm interested in seeing the Moto G benchmarks as Qualcomm's naming structure sucks.

Unlike last year the G5 and G5 Plus don't share the same chip.

I wonder if the G5 will be slower than the G4 while the Plus model will be faster than last year.

Too many chips to go along with too many phones out there.

Zackat

Wonder how much those Galaxy Book's are gonna cost lol

I am interested in the s3 tablet depending on the price. I need something to read comics on that has a decent sized screen.

Quasar

They are actively shutting down the old 2G networks in the US because of the desperate clawing back of scarce spectrum. This isn't really such a big problem elsewhere in the world, where the frequencies on which GSM operate have been standards for decades and many many devices still depend on it, especially in developing countries. The new 3310 will work where it needs to.

They have shut down 2G networks here in Australia too. I actually thought about getting one for my Dad, who much prefers big buttons over touch screens and basically only uses phones to talk to people.

you need to try out a Note 7

Quasar

Not trusting Lenovo / hating Lenovo for ruining Moto I guess. Nokia seems to be promising timely updated stock, which automatically puts it higher up the list for me than most others. Of course who knows if they actually deliver on that promise.

Also I'm interested in seeing the Moto G benchmarks as Qualcomm's naming structure sucks.

Unlike last year the G5 and G5 Plus don't share the same chip.

I wonder if the G5 will be slower than the G4 while the Plus model will be faster than last year.

Too many chips to go along with too many phones out there.

Aluminium unibody brah.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
So the specs for the 2017 Xperia Premium have leaked:

Based on the latest rumor, the Sony Xperia XZ Premium will feature a 5.5-inch display carrying a 2160 x 3840 resolution. Under the hood is the Snapdragon 821 chipset, probably for the same reason that the LG G6 is sporting the same chipset. It seems that Samsung has locked up all available supplies of the Snapdragon 835 SoC for the time being.

The Xperia XZ Premium is said to be equipped with 4GB of RAM and has an IP68 certification rating. On back is a 20MP camera with ultra-fast photo capture and 960fps slow motion recording. Keeping the lights on is a large 3900mAh battery, and Android 7.1 is pre-installed.

I *might* give that a shot based on this:

- Camera isn't garbage
- Doesn't come out in May or June
- Isn't $900

....doesn't seem likely lol

Vanillalite

Not trusting Lenovo / hating Lenovo for ruining Moto I guess. Nokia seems to be promising timely updated stock, which automatically puts it higher up the list for me than most others. Of course who knows if they actually deliver on that promise.

Mr.Shrugglesツ;231076727 said:
Aluminium unibody brah.

It's a worst spec'd device though? The Nokia 5 is only 720p vs 1080p on the G5. Then on Plus your getting a 6XX series chip vs just the 430 again on the Nokia 6.

Pricing seems to be pretty much the same. So I'm struggling to find a reason to like either Nokia device. Hell the Honor 6X is already out and set a high standard for the Plus/6 range.

Quasar

It's a worst spec'd device though? The Nokia 5 is only 720p vs 1080p on the G5. Then on Plus your getting a 6XX series chip vs just the 430 again on the Nokia 6.

Pricing seems to be pretty much the same. So I'm struggling to find a reason to like either Nokia device. Hell the Honor 6X is already out and set a high standard for the Plus/6 range.

Well I'm generally not a spec chaser when it comes to phones, aside from battery life.

That said, I'm confused by the point of having Dolby Atmos in a phone. Now Dolby Headphone, assuming that still exists, that would seem more appropriate. Not having USB-C in this day and age is weird too.

So the specs for the 2017 Xperia Premium have leaked:

I *might* give that a shot based on this:

- Camera isn't garbage
- Doesn't come out in May or June
- Isn't $900

....doesn't seem likely lol

If the price isn't outrageous, I'd take a look at it. The battery alone is huge.

Vanillalite

Software updates are not appealing?

Hardly at a meetup. That's like seeing someone with a Windows Phone.

How many times have we heard OEMs and updates. Plus it's not as if Moto doesn't update the G series nor is it a heavily skinned phone.

Well I'm generally not a spec chaser when it comes to phones, aside from battery life.

That said, I'm confused by the point of having Dolby Atmos in a phone. Now Dolby Headphone, assuming that still exists, that would seem more appropriate. Not having USB-C in this day and age is weird too.

True enough on spec chasing, but if the price is the same why go for the lesser specs?

Not to mention it's lower end specs so the chipset difference is usually more noticeable.

Quasar

True enough on spec chasing, but if the price is the same why go for the lesser specs?

Not to mention it's lower end specs so the chipset difference is usually more noticeable.

Well if it actually has timely OS updates and longer support, that would be worth it to me. That something a lot of brands don't do.

I assume that's how all reviewers of electronics who put out reviews day one do it. And depending on when they got their hardware I'd think it would be close to the same hardware.

but it's not a day 1 review, it's a legit non-production preview unit.

several other sites had one for the same amount of time and did impressions.

Jeffrey

Wonder if Sony will go amoled? Like the only benefit I can see atm for 4k phone screen is vr.

Like I barely can notice the pixels on my 1080p 6" mate 9 without squinting lol.

Top Bottom