• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

ty_hot

I honestly dont get all the hype for these all-screen phones, in the end the 'extra screen' will be used for nav buttons. Which is basically the same as we have now with capacitive buttons. The 'usable' area of the screen is the same.

They do look nicer (the G6 at least), but they dont add any functionality. Gona be even wierd to watch a 16:9 movie on it, with the black bars.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
OP3T still the GOAT

Nothing I've seen so far changes this especially since all the big name manufacturers want to charge premium pricing still.

Jeffrey

Man what's the point of these sick displays at movie aspect ratios if your speaker solution is mediocre?

LG is single mono at the bottom and it doesn't seem like s8 will have a stereo solution based off leak specsheets.

I'm guessing Apple will if the 7 did.

Well the S7 Edge was already that.

I mean the rounded corners of the screen. Don't think S7 edge has that?

23qwerty

Android OS apparently just used nearly 75% of my monthly data yesterday? fucking nice..

must have been the update that I'm quite positive I did at home on wifi

Jeffrey

Sony at the very least should offer printed out instructions with their xperia phones with how to flash a different region version to enable fingerprint sensor lol.

Could be a loophole!

Those mid range Lenovo tablets seem nice. I might pick up the 8" Plus version. Don't really need to upgrade but if it's $200 with fingerprint and usb-c I will bite.

Man I just got the Pixel XL last week and its the best phone I've ever had.

Also, Agreeing with an earlier post, google really is terrible at horizontal screens lol

I told you guys LG was launching the G6 with premium pricing. They are stupid like that. Will be on the resale market for $400 by summer. The only cool thing about it is the wide angle camera.

Quasar

This still makes no sense to me. I guess this information will never be disclosed. What a fucking stupid penalty. Why not penalize in some other way?

It is freaking bizarre if you ask me that a carrier could even ask for such a penalty or even why they would want it.

And frankly that makes a flagship unsellable. A bit different on a budget phone.

What total bullshit. lol if anyone believes that. Sony doesn't even deserve the time of day with their smartphones. It's sad because they had potential at one point.

I love how they're still throwing the gimmicks and the kitchen sink into the camera yet they still don't perform well. Meanwhile everyone else is killing it with their sensors.

vivftp

What total bullshit. lol if anyone believes that. Sony doesn't even deserve the time of day with their smartphones. It's sad because they had potential at one point.

I love how they're still throwing the gimmicks and the kitchen sink into the camera yet they still don't perform well. Meanwhile everyone else is killing it with their sensors.

I'm giving them the time of day :)
Can't wait to own the new Premium!

I wonder who's dick at Samsung did Sony suck to get a 835 phone out in april?

The XZs doesn't run s835. The Premium will likely be out May or June

What are the good midrange phones nowadays? I've had a Zenfone 2 for 1.5 years and I'm looking to upgrade by the end of 2017. Would prefer to keep the price under $500, but I have some flexibility on that front.

Jeffrey

What are the good midrange phones nowadays? I've had a Zenfone 2 for 1.5 years and I'm looking to upgrade by the end of 2017. Would prefer to keep the price under $500, but I have some flexibility on that front.

Well a bit early to ask now because their successors will be where it's at later this year xD

oneplus 3T you're welcome. Though it's not midrange. It's a high end phone, just happens to cost less.

Note - their new phone might come out in 2-4 months. But that one is good.

this_guy

Moto G5 Plus looks solid. Same camera sensor as the Galaxy S7 and same processor as last year's Moto Z Play which had amazing battery life.

I'd also wait to see the new OnePlus, ZTE Axon 7's successor, and if Huawei releases a successor to Honor 8. These three phones basically match specs with the high end phones but are in the $400 range.

LeleSocho

Banned

So we are already acting as we know the XZ Premium will not take advantage of its sensor? Can we at least wait the previews to draw such conclusions?

So we are already acting as we know the XZ Premium will not take advantage of its sensor? Can we at least wait the previews to draw such conclusions?

In his defense, Sony has time and time again talked up it's imagery and fallen flat. There is no reason to believe it is any different until they prove it is.

Thanks for the suggestions! I suppose I'll keep an eye out for the next few months to see what gets announced, but I'll also look into the OnePlus and the Moto G5 in particular.

Jeffrey

Moto z play sequel is weirdly my most anticipated mid-range of the year.

Keep headphone jack. Better camera. Maybe even better battery life with newer low energy processor.

this_guy

Keep headphone jack. Better camera. Maybe even better battery life with newer low energy processor.

Same here. I wouldn't be surprised if it uses the same camera as the G5 Plus (which is the Galaxy S7 sensor) as last year's G4 Plus and Moto Z Play unlocked shared the same camera. I just wished Moto made the unlocked version compatible with all 4 US carriers like the G series.

Well I'm also interested in the Asus Zenfone 3 zoom. Snapdragon 625 processor with a 5000mah battery should mean great battery life, and the camera should be great (at least the specs are). I'm just expecting it to be the worst software experience, and I'm generally ok with Touchwiz and other skins.

rugioh

Banned
This MWC has been jokes. Only thing I see coming out of it I could pickup is the Moto G5 Plus, or maybe a Z Play until Google gets their Pixel 2 out.

Laekon

You can get high end phones for that price. The S7 and P9 are both a good bit under $500 and basically current flagship 5" phones. If you want a bigger screen then the OP3T. For under $400 there is the Honor 8 for normal size and Axon 7 for a larger phone.

I'd be curious to see that too, maybe add waterproofing too if they can keep the price down.

Honestly, if the current Moto Z Play gets down to $200 of lower at some point this year I'd be very tempted to just get it. Samsung Pay (which I barely use) and the good camera are about the only things I really like about my S7 Edge, and I think I'd be willing to sacrifice those for a phone with fantastic battery life.

this_guy

I'd be curious to see that too, maybe add waterproofing too if they can keep the price down.

Honestly, if the current Moto Z Play gets down to $200 of lower at some point this year I'd be very tempted to just get it. Samsung Pay (which I barely use) and the good camera are about the only things I really like about my S7 Edge, and I think I'd be willing to sacrifice those for a phone with fantastic battery life.

The new Moto G5 Plus uses the same processor as last year's Z Play so battery life should approach the Z Play (but Z play had a bigger battery). The G5 Plus uses the same camera sensor as the Galaxy S7 so camera should be pretty good.

hands on previews so far are where I got it from...obviously it's preliminary but would it really be surprising?

I agree that this MWC has been mad questionable. Mostly sad all the watches got worse. I knew it wasn't the place for the phones.

Jeffrey

Like I'm playing around with a moto z play I borrowed from work and am actually a little pissed off at how well it runs compare to the pixel I bought lol.

Like I'm finding pretty much zero difference in app boot up and performance for the stuff I daily use including the games and emulators.

Heck it's smoother than the mate 9 which definitely has some animation bugs. AI to smartly manage your performance my ass.

625 successor is more hype than 835.

Top Bottom