• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Lmao at same camera. That's messed up. No, it's not good enough. The phone is still expensive and as such, it should have a new and better camera. It can't touch the iPhone 7+ camera which is an absolute joy to use. If you haven't used the 7+ camera, you don't know what you're missing. That dual camera should be the standard for a Samsung phone today. Shame. I bet the dual cameras software is harder to accomplish than the hardware is to make.

Screen is beast. Fingerprint reader is such a compromise. At least it means we'll get in screen readers next year.

Not a bad phone. It's a pretty good upgrade from last year. Not a skip year.

14c.jpg

If you've used them both you know. Seen any camera comparisons? I'm guessing not.

Hi, Lumia camera user here. Samsung is still shit compared to Pureview cameras. And those are 2 year old cameras now. And then there is the 1020 with a 41MP camera...

Will look into a S8 due to the X16 modem. AT&T is pimping it as "5G capable", which means we will have the same BS as "4G" being HSPA and "4G LTE" being the actual 4G.

What about my statement even throws Nokia into the mix?

Lmao at same camera. That's messed up. No, it's not good enough. The phone is still expensive and as such, it should have a new and better camera. It can't touch the iPhone 7+ camera which is an absolute joy to use. If you haven't used the 7+ camera, you don't know what you're missing. That dual camera should be the standard for a Samsung phone today. Shame. I bet the dual cameras software is harder to accomplish than the hardware is to make.

Screen is beast. Fingerprint reader is such a compromise. At least it means we'll get in screen readers next year.

I've used them both and the Samsung is better.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've used them both and the Samsung is better.
In what way?

Another note, it's nice to be able to take up close photos again with the iPhone. The 6P camera couldn't focus on objects within three feet. Great camera but a pain to use.

Guess I'll be waiting for the Note 8 to upgrade my S7 Edge, just doesn't seem like enough new or improved about it to justify the upgrade price. I've been missing having a stylus from my old Note 4.

The only other phone I can see myself being interested in is the Moto Z Play if/when it hits $200 or lower, or if they come out with an updated model that keeps the great battery life and improves things like performance and camera.

ElNino

Hi, Lumia camera user here. Samsung is still shit compared to Pureview cameras. And those are 2 year old cameras now. And then there is the 1020 with a 41MP camera...
Yeah, I'm bringing my 1020 along with me on my cruise next week to use when I don't want to bring the DSLR.

LeleSocho

Banned
What the hell are you going on about?

Sorry but i'm going to flip that question to you.
Your claim is that "The Samsung camera has murdered the iPhone camera for years" is pure insanity since the single time iPhone camera hasn't been that great in recent times was in the 6S against Samsung's S6, all the other years the quality of the camera between the two phones has been AT LEAST comparable.
And at the request of facts that support your claim you can only respond with a crappy ad hominem... so yeah i ask you... What the hell are you going on about?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The problem is your essentially getting the S7 with the new display.

The display is next level, but is it worth the extra cash whenever everything else is basically the same.

Sorry but i'm going to flip that question to you.
Your claim is that "The Samsung camera has murdered the iPhone camera for years" is pure insanity since the single time iPhone camera hasn't been that great in recent times was in the 6S against Samsung's S6, all the other years the quality of the camera between the two phones has been AT LEAST comparable.
And at the request of facts that support your claim you can only respond with a crappy ad hominem... so yeah i ask you... What the hell are you going on about?

Forgive me for using a bit of hyperbole. Dang.

You're right. It started pulling ahead with S6. Yes, since 7+ has come out it has evened out a bit. I have read websites that rated the S7 higher and read some that rated the 7+ higher. Unfortunately it has been fanboy websites on both sides.

Bboy AJ

reKon

Banned

The only thing that I think is better is this.

In terms of picture quality in regular and low light situations, the S7 takes just as good as photos and is just as easy to use. You would know if you used an S7 before, this shouldn't even an argument.

It's a three-way tie between Pixel, S7, and iPhone 7.

Bboy AJ

The only thing that I think is better is this.

In terms of picture quality in regular and low light situations, the S7 takes just as good as photos and is just as easy to use. You would know if you used an S7 before, this shouldn't even an argument.

It's a three-way tie between Pixel, S7, and iPhone 7.
I'm not talking about quality. I think they're all about equal and agree with you. It's just that the iPhone camera is more fun and simpler to use. Just my opinion. I don't know why it's more fun. I think it's using the dual lenses that's cool and a totally new experience for me. I do know that it's simpler in that focusing is far easier than on my 6P. 6P can take no up close photos without freaking out. And even after all that commotion, it still can't take the shot.

I'm annoyed at the iPhone not being able to leave HDR always on. Also, the Portrait mode is really fun. It's far simpler than lens blur. I'm just super impressed with the camera software work Apple puts in. Everyone wants to know why we need faster processors. A big reason is camera software IMO.

Also, it's really annoying how so many airlines are still talking about the Note 7. Gonna be a pain when the refurbs hit the poorer countries. Great phone rip

Damon

I'm not talking about quality. I think they're all about equal and agree with you. It's just that the iPhone camera is more fun and simpler to use. Just my opinion. I don't know why it's more fun. I think it's using the dual lenses that's cool and a totally new experience for me. I do know that it's simpler in that focusing is far easier than on my 6P. 6P can take no up close photos without freaking out. And even after all that commotion, it still can't take the shot.

I'm annoyed at the iPhone not being able to leave HDR always on. Also, the Portrait mode is really fun. It's far simpler than lens blur. I'm just super impressed with the camera software work Apple puts in. Everyone wants to know why we need faster processors. A big reason is camera software IMO.

Also, it's really annoying how so many airlines are still talking about the Note 7. Gonna be a pain when the refurbs hit the poorer countries. Great phone rip

You can leave HDR on always unless I'm missing something?

Personally I leave it on auto and let the phone decide, I don't really notice much If any difference when it's used or not.

Where as when I had my HTC 10 I noticed a difference and the auto setting triggered HDR more often than it does on the iPhone 7

That number seems so low but I know at the carrier I work for the numbers are abysmal so it is believable. Maybe they'd sell more if they made more but not much.

Vanillalite

Still not sold on that S8 screen aspect ratio.

All of the current apps, games, and video content is made for wider screens. So either you have to roll with black bars or shit gets stretched.

I get that it's so you can have the onscreen nav buttons not take up the regular 16x9 space. That means fuck all when I'm watching YouTube or playing Hearthstone fullscreens.

Vanillalite

While the bezel design has less than to be desired it appears HTC has fixed that with their new up coming phone.

Bigger issue going with HTC again if they can't make enough phones. Samsung probably gonna sell as many Galaxy S8 phones at launch as Pixels have sold LTD.

LoL

I don't know if I'm reading this right but Google has this RSC message and Verizon isn't a supported carrier. Does that mean Google's own flagship doesn't even support their universal message system?

Probably not even worth it but my phone is dying so I need to get a new one, came across this while researching and was just curious.

While the bezel design has less than to be desired it appears HTC has fixed that with their new up coming phone.

Bigger issue going with HTC again if they can't make enough phones. Samsung probably gonna sell as many Galaxy S8 phones at launch as Pixels have sold LTD.

LoL
which htc phone has less bezel?

we all gonna be rocking coolpad phones soon

Bboy AJ

You can leave HDR on always unless I'm missing something?

Personally I leave it on auto and let the phone decide, I don't really notice much If any difference when it's used or not.

Where as when I had my HTC 10 I noticed a difference and the auto setting triggered HDR more often than it does on the iPhone 7
I don't think you can leave it always on. Just auto.

Apparently HTC shipped only 2.1 million Pixels?

l-m-a-o
Sad. Stock issues and not demand issues.

According to a report, HTC is building the pixel 2, and LG is building the pixel 3

other contenders: TCL and....Coolpad

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20170329PB200.html

sheesh
SAD!! Not good news for Pixel 2.

Vanillalite

which htc phone has less bezel?

That concept phone while not bezelless doesn't have near the Pixel bezels it appesr.

I might be wrong doe.

Also the Ultra wouldn't have as much top bezel if they got rid of that 2nd screen thing at the top which the Pixel 2 won't have.

Maybe I'm just trying to be optimistic.

That concept phone while not bezelless doesn't have near the Pixel bezels it appesr.

I might be wrong doe.

Also the Ultra wouldn't have as much top bezel if they got rid of that 2nd screen thing at the top which the Pixel 2 won't have.

Maybe I'm just trying to be optimistic.
no bezel is as bad as pixel but it's pretty bad

htc-ocean.jpg

Bboy AJ

nexus2cee_Screen-Shot-2017-03-29-at-6.02.33-PM-728x477.png

Just a company with no taste. None. The lack of taste is just a cultural norm in a crappy company like Samsung.

Vanillalite

What I don't get is you can just make the same S8 display in the usual wider aspect ratio.

The times you want to watch or use the full screen in apps like movies or games you're gonna go full screen no buttons anyways.

Yet now if you watch say YouTube as Austin Evans points out in his GS8 video you get fucking black bars. FFS

Jeffrey

Oh, and this is kind of interesting, I guess: Samsung has also implemented the fingerprint scanner gesture to bring down the notification bar. It's off by default, I think, but it's there.

From a android police hands on.

Might be a bit of a reach but still nice to see it there.

Top Bottom