• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Honestly I can't see that you would ever use built in speakers for any kind of sound experience anyway tbh. Stereo phone speakers will always be just as crap as mono tbh.
Honestly I only ever use my phone speakers when I'm watching a youtube video by myself at home or showing someone said youtube video.

Samsung seems to have posted battery life estimates, which are usually optimistic, for the s8 and they seem to last less time than s7 but will retain more of their full capacity after 2 years than the s7.

But the numbers don't look very good. Particularly if I'm to believe that the g6 under heavy use can last 16-18 hours.

I'll have to see tests and comparisons though. Definition of heavy use vary from person to person. If ultimately the g6s battery life puts it way ahead of the s8 I might have to go with that. But if it's close enough, I think the s8 will have to be it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So how good would be getting a couple S7s half off?

Family.

Well it's the same camera as the S8 on the back. Speakers on the S8 is still mono. Performance won't be as good, but you shouldn't notice a difference.

If you can get it cheap it's a totally viable option vs the S8 or G6.

Groof

Honestly I can't see that you would ever use built in speakers for any kind of sound experience anyway tbh. Stereo phone speakers will always be just as crap as mono tbh.

Bruh while playing Apollo Justice the front facing stereo speakers were a godsend. Made it that much more enjoyabe

Ashes

Banned
Why do you need the dock for a pc like experience?

Can't you mirrorcast wirelessly​? Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and off you go.

So only US market gets the 835, all other markets get the Exynos?
No, Exynos is for South Korea. Or the international version.

Anyone who has the 3T can give me information about the camera​? I've looked​at user posts and many are saying that the camera isn't good contrary to video reviews.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Why do you need the dock for a pc like experience?

Can't you mirrorcast wirelessly​? Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and off you go.

Mirrorcast to what though? You'd still need some kind of receiver.

Not to mention when you dock the phone you get a different interface than you'd get just simply mirroring your phone.

That being said I don't particularly need all of the extra ports and shit the dock provides. A simple dock with an HDMI out that was cheaper would be more appealing to me personally.

Jeffrey

Anyone who has the 3T can give me information about the camera​? I've looked​at user posts and many are saying that the camera isn't good contrary to video reviews.
I had the op3. Camera is pretty good for the price. Low light isn't amazing. But they've been improving the camera with software updates.

Go snag a firesale S7 if you need a good camera at a similar price.

For any T-Mobile folks interested Samsung.com has the Arctic Silver S8 ringing up at $650 instead of $750 and it still includes the free GearVR. Add to cart to see price.

ty_hot

So the S8 is 5% better than the 3T in Antutu singlecore. Big improvement in multi core though.

Glad I got my 3T 2 months ago.

I posted this a few pages ago, photos I took:
http://imgur.com/a/m5JiJ

Camera is great during the day, in low light it is still good most of the times. I have problems when the background is too bright, then the subject gets dark (or the backfround becomes an all white thing and subject is ok). For its price, its awesome.

But if you really want a great camera you can probably get a S7 now with good discounts.

So the S8 is 5% better than the 3T in Antutu singlecore. Big improvement in multi core though.

Camera is great during the day, in low light it is still good most of the times. I have problems when the background is too bright, then the subject gets dark (or the backfround becomes an all white thing and subject is ok). For its price, its awesome.

But if you really want a great camera you can probably get a S7 now with good discounts.

With those kind of numbers, I seriously can't wait for the OP4 :).

I had the op3. Camera is pretty good for the price. Low light isn't amazing. But they've been improving the camera with software updates.

Go snag a firesale S7 if you need a good camera at a similar price.
I don't really want the S7 though.

It's alright, but it's a clear downgrade from my 6P.
With those kind of numbers, I seriously can't wait for the OP4 :).
Maybe I should just wait until later in the year and stick out with my 6P.

I don't really want the S7 though.

It's alright, but it's a clear downgrade from my 6P.

Maybe I should just wait until later in the year and stick out with my 6P.

That's what I'm doing. I have a 6P and I'm hoping and waiting for the OP4 to work with Verizon. Or maybe just say fuck it and buy the new Pixel 2 XL.

Jeffrey

Want to see snapdragon 835 benchmarks. Hope they come soon. Someone had to run antutu at the event.
There's been benchmarks for the sd835 during the press tour last week or 2 from their reference devices. Should give you a good idea of the performance. Just search anandtech or other tech sites.

That's what I'm doing. I have a 6P and I'm hoping and waiting for the OP4 to work with Verizon. Or maybe just say fuck it and buy the new Pixel 2 XL.
I know :p I remember our conversations. I need a phone with amazing battery life and great camera. I refuse to comprise on these two issues.
Who needs a fingerprint sensor when you have a iris/face scanner?

I watched one video on the S8 and the guy said iris scanner isn't as secure as finger print and I'm like ???

Jeffrey

It's confusing. Think iris scanner is fairly secure (can be used for authentication for Samsung pay), but the face scanner option isn't?

Do we not have any lg g6 battery life tests/hours yet? S8 plus seems to have a similar battery life to the s7 edge. Potential better battery life was the only reason I was considering a g6 seeing how with best buys deal you can get the s8 plus got 30 more than the g6.

reKon

Banned
Samsung seems to have posted battery life estimates, which are usually optimistic, for the s8 and they seem to last less time than s7 but will retain more of their full capacity after 2 years than the s7.

But the numbers don't look very good. Particularly if I'm to believe that the g6 under heavy use can last 16-18 hours.

I'll have to see tests and comparisons though. Definition of heavy use vary from person to person. If ultimately the g6s battery life puts it way ahead of the s8 I might have to go with that. But if it's close enough, I think the s8 will have to be it.

My S7 Edge (Exynos) has better battery life than that G6. In real world usage, I average about 6 hours of on screen time while being on LTE for the Majority. I think if I had the snapdragon version it would be more like 5 hours.

My S7 Edge (Exynos) has better battery life than that G6. In real world usage, I average about 6 hours of on screen time while being on LTE for the Majority. I think if I had the snapdragon version it would be more like 5 hours.
Do we have actual real world usage tests of battery life for g6 though? I use my phone fairly heavily throughout the day while working.

Jeffrey

So excited. Going from pixel to s8.

Let's see if faster processor combined with TouchWiz 2017 will beat Google bloat dull phone in smoothness at least out of the box.

IronRaven

So excited. Going from pixel to s8.

Let's see if faster processor combined with TouchWiz 2017 will beat Google bloat dull phone in smoothness at least out of the box.

So jealous! You gotta give us your impressions of it. I really hope TouchWiz is trimmed down enough not to bog down the phone after a few months.

thuway

The S8 Plus feels like 2010 again when phones were interesting and things were poppin' off every year. I remember a time where Android was synonymous with Galaxy S or the Note.

Glad to see them back in the saddle. I hope other OEM's start adopting bezel-less displays soon people aren't going to want to get normal looking phones after they get this in their hands.

Top Bottom