• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Kind of LTTP here, but watching LG G6 reviews make it look like a pretty great phone. It is a shame it is going to sell like crap because it definitely looks like the best LG phone of recent years. I have to say that I like a few things about it over the S8. The camera looks like it is going to be better, the design of the phone is IMO better and it has a better fingerprint scanner location. Also, I do not really like the "Edge" screen that Samsung is sticking with.

Too bad LG made some questionable decisions with it like limiting features based on market, pricing it too high for old technology, and using 32GB base when Samsung went with 64GB.

Asgaro

nexus2cee_Screen-Shot-2017-03-29-at-6.02.33-PM-728x477.png

Just a company with no taste. None. The lack of taste is just a cultural norm in a crappy company like Samsung.

6LX16dq.gif

Reminds me of Play-Doh.

Jeffrey

Kind of LTTP here, but watching LG G6 reviews make it look like a pretty great phone. It is a shame it is going to sell like crap because it definitely looks like the best LG phone of recent years. I have to say that I like a few things about it over the S8. The camera looks like it is going to be better, the design of the phone is IMO better and it has a better fingerprint scanner location. Also, I do not really like the "Edge" screen that Samsung is sticking with.

Too bad LG made some questionable decisions with it like limiting features based on market, pricing it too high for old technology, and using 32GB base when Samsung went with 64GB.

Not out in the US before the Samsung event is fatal mistake

https://twitter.com/oneplus/status/847463547470626816

Some oneplus announcement tomorrow related to dash charger. Midnight black charger!

reKon

Banned
Do we have actual real world usage tests of battery life for g6 though? I use my phone fairly heavily throughout the day while working.

No, but I'm going off GSMarena benchmarks. When it comes to RELATIVE testing (if one device has significantly higher scores compared to another, real life usage mimics that, they are pretty damn accurate.

demented

So it's coming on 28th here (or later) which is pretty much may, and in june or so we should expect oneplus which should be as good or better with it costing few hundred less, any reason not to wait? I do really want to buy new phone but the price... Can buy a car for price of s8+

Toki767

So it's coming on 28th here (or later) which is pretty much may, and in june or so we should expect oneplus which should be as good or better with it costing few hundred less, any reason not to wait? I do really want to buy new phone but the price... Can buy a car for price of s8+

What kind of car are you buying for under $1000? An RC?

tried to reserve an s8 plus from best buy, but at the end of the whole process they're like 'ERROR, CREDIT CHECK REQUIRED'

fucking A. I guess I'll go to the store tomorrow and try to do it in store.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Jeffrey is our go to guy since he has tons of experiences with different phones.

Can't decide between LG G6, Samsung S8, or the Pixel.

Concerns....

S8 - I don't know if I'll like the edge screen. Like... I really don't think I'll like it at all. I have concerns about Samsung's Android skin.

G6 - Doesn't look as pretty as the S8 (orchid gray is so sexy). Lower storage, basically requiring an SD card purchase. Not amoled. I have concerns about LG's android skin.

Pixel - Super ugly. But stock android.

Welp, I just ordered the One Plus 3T. I'll use it as a stop gap until later this year to see what's going on. Once I find a phone I like, I'll upgrade to that and give my one plus to my mom.

kaiyo

I hate how both the G6 and S8 are like

"Yo look at our screen! Isn't it baller? It's even got HDR. Plus it's huge! You'll want to watch all sorts of shit on this!"

Then they go and put a weak as mono bottom firing speaker in the damn thing. FTL...
That's what the Xperia xz premium is for =P

What's your overall thoughts on the s8? Fingerprint sensor location as bad as it seems? Any notable stutters navigating?

BTW when will retail have demo units out?

fingerprint sensor is just in a bad spot.

phones were smooth when i used them at the launch event and again today at Samsung 837.

as an aside, how can Samsung think coffee/juice and donuts/muffins qualifies as a 'Breakfast' event. i mean, the donut i had was fantastic, but still...

NeOak

S8+, Samsung Folio case (fuck you Samsung for the chip) and the ZAGG glass screen protector preordered.

inb4 Unknown tells me "about time"

I was really interested in the G6, but there's still no official release date for the UK and it looks like its going to be priced around £650, which is about £30 less than the S8.

And its also a hell of a lot of money for a 2017 phone that has a 2016 SoC.

On the plus side, it'll probably have a few price cuts when it doesn't fly off the shelves.

The g6 fucked up with pricing. It has absolutely nothing over the s8 besides possibly the camera. Why they don't take a risk and price it like 200 below the galsxy series is beyond me. Focus on being the cheaper of the flagship series. If the thing was noticeably cheaper I would get it over Samsung.

reKon

Banned
I just realized how close Sony was to making a God tier phone with the XZ Premium. If it weren't for those bezels and lack of finger print this scanner in the US...

Damn it Sony!

Mindwipe

I just realized how close Sony was to making a God tier phone with the XZ Premium. If it weren't for those bezels and lack of finger print this scanner in the US...

Damn it Sony!

Ehh, exposure on the camera still isn't quite right, and I think it needs to move to OLED.

It is nice otherwise though.

Well it also doesn't have that gimmicky curved screen at the edges which is silly to me. It's the only thing I don't like about it and I'd be willing to get the G6 because of that. I'd just want to hold both of them in my hand first. But I know I don't like that screen on the S7 Edge...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I have the feeling the iPhone 8 is gonna look more like a sexy refined version of the G6 vs the S8.

I also wonder if Apple will move to 18:9 as Apple hates shit like having dumb black bezels on screen when using apps.

Jeffrey

I have the feeling the iPhone 8 is gonna look more like a sexy refined version of the G6 vs the S8.

I also wonder if Apple will move to 18:9 as Apple hates shit like having dumb black bezels on screen when using apps.

Pretty sure ios has allowed more variable resolution options and what not since iPad had splitscreen so a taller iPhone should be feasible with the current api.

Apple is generally conservative though. Might take the next major refresh in 2 years before they go tall.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Pretty sure ios has allowed more variable resolution options and what not since iPad had splitscreen so a taller iPhone should be feasible with the current api.

Apple is generally conservative though. Might take the next major refresh in 2 years before they go tall.

I figure we'll know at WWDC as Apple will want to get app makers to make their apps forward compatible with the new aspect ratio.

Supposedly Google is already trying to pressure devs to make their apps more compatible with the new 18:9 ratio.

reKon

Banned
Well it also doesn't have that gimmicky curved screen at the edges which is silly to me. It's the only thing I don't like about it and I'd be willing to get the G6 because of that. I'd just want to hold both of them in my hand first. But I know I don't like that screen on the S7 Edge...

I really think a very thin case helps. I've had absolutely no issues with the edge design. Also, most impressions from the web are saying that the curved screen is improved from the S7 Edge one.

Top Bottom