• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Laekon

Is Swappa considered to be very trustworthy if the seller has a good amount of feedback? I'm not a big fan of eBay like sites. Since Exynos S7s didn't drop in price with the S8 launch I'm looking at just getting a used one in good shape.

IronRaven

Is Swappa considered to be very trustworthy if the seller has a good amount of feedback? I'm not a big fan of eBay like sites. Since Exynos S7s didn't drop in price with the S8 launch I'm looking at just getting a used one in good shape.

From my limited experience, yeah, it's a great place. The customer service people at Swappa are pretty good as well.

TP-DK

Xperia xzs vs s8+ (sd835) speed test

https://youtu.be/0b6oxPeJas8

Wonder how fast the xz premium is with sd835 and ufs storage instead of emmc.

I just got the xperia xzs yesterday, and Im loving how responsive and fast it is.
His comparison with taking photos might be a bit misleading, because as far as I have understood (havent tried myself yet), xzs takes photos before and after you click the shutter button, so you have multiple photos to choose from.

Jeffrey

a trackball on the side of the phone could be neat, because bringing back old ideas is the thing now.

scrolling down like a 100 post gaf page could be a pain. But best to wait to see this out and about.

Wonder if any carriers will carry it though to test. HTC seem to sell so bad that carriers stop bothering in the US lol.

So Google Assistant on my Pixel has stopped providing my weather. Any ideas on why? It just gives me Google search links.

Working as intended.

A lot of phone makers will take a L, that Sony Xperia XZs do look old

The "tactile delay" ( feedback?? latency?? Sorry I speak french ) on the S8 is 89 ms, this is double the GS7 edge and even the triple of the GS6 edge.

Will you recommend the G6?

I would but only if you can get it for around $550 or less.

torontoml

Working as intended.

What? I used to get the weather forecast for the day when I requested it. It was also part of the daily briefing. But over the last couple months all I get is what would result from a google search of what I say.

Edit: A screenshot of what I get, I live in Fort McMurray, Alberta.

ac7sDHR.jpg

Fyi Halifax is on the other side of the country

Jeffrey

What? I used to get the weather forecast for the day when I requested it. It was also part of the daily briefing. But over the last couple months all I get is what would result from a google search of what I say.

Edit: A screenshot of what I get, I live in Fort McMurray, Alberta.

Fyi Halifax is on the other side of the country

weird is location services on? What if you try a more detailed query like

"whats the weather like in Fort McMurray, Alberta."

No Love

Banned
After using the iPhone SE and S8+ together for the last few things, one thing has become very clear to me: Android (and especially the S8x series with multiwindow) absolutely slays iOS when it comes to multitasking. It's not even fair.

Switching between and using multiple apps in a short span of time on iOS is so awkward and jarring. It reminds me of Windows Mobile back in the day, or early Android. That's the #1 thing Apple needs to fix.

They honestly should just allow a voice command in iOS that begins multiwindows by having you draw two squares and define the new multiwindow.

torontoml

weird is location services on? What if you try a more detailed query like

"whats the weather like in Fort McMurray, Alberta."
Everything is on as far as I can tell. And the specific city request works. What can I uninstall to reset it?

Edit: just uninstalled any Google updates and reinstalled the updates. And I get the same results as before.

Jeffrey

After using the iPhone SE and S8+ together for the last few things, one thing has become very clear to me: Android (and especially the S8x series with multiwindow) absolutely slays iOS when it comes to multitasking. It's not even fair.

Switching between and using multiple apps in a short span of time on iOS is so awkward and jarring. It reminds me of Windows Mobile back in the day, or early Android. That's the #1 thing Apple needs to fix.

They honestly should just allow a voice command in iOS that begins multiwindows by having you draw two squares and define the new multiwindow.

Yeah. Ios will always win at speed tests but it's impossible to use all that power effectively lol.

Hopefully ios 11 brings something.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Even the iPhone 6S and SE outperform the S8 in single-threaded performance. Disgustingly embarrassing.

Yeah. Ios will always win at speed tests but it's impossible to use all that power effectively lol.

Hopefully ios 11 brings something.
With multitasking, yes. Everything else? Not even close. Camera use is the biggest difference to me. Huge real world and very palpable reason why performance matters.

Saw the pics of the Moto Z2 Play. Seemed pretty much identical to the first one, but with a round fingerprint button.

But I'm way more interested in hearing about the specs, especially the battery life and how it compares to the current model.

If it's an incremental bump, hopefully it'll at least lower the price of the Z Play down.

Jeffrey

Even the iPhone 6S and SE outperform the S8 in single-threaded performance. Disgustingly embarrassing.

With multitasking, yes. Everything else? Not even close. Camera use is the biggest difference to me. Huge real world and very palpable reason why performance matters.

camera is all personal taste at some point with the top flagships. How saturated do you want your stuff?

Also can you still not get RAW files on iphone?

Besides camera (maybe), not sure what else it offers? Guess they age better, but its not like we stick with a phone long enough for that to matter lol.

Apparently there is a new app that allows the Bixby button to be mapped to Google Assistant. Trade one shitty assistant for another.

do I really need 3 ways to activate that thing?

Husker86

Anyone else find it incredibly hard to pick a decent USB C-C cable?

If you want USB 3.1 support, they're all super thick and stiff. If you want ones that support high power delivery, they're almost always USB 2.0.

And damn near every single one has huge connector shrouds, or whatever the hell you call the ends of the cable.

Anyone else find it incredibly hard to pick a decent USB C-C cable?

If you want USB 3.1 support, they're all super thick and stiff. If you want ones that support high power delivery, they're almost always USB 2.0.

And damn near every single one has huge connector shrouds, or whatever the hell you call the ends of the cable.
Yeah, the transition to USB C has seemed pretty messy, but it's the first major one I've dealt with (mini and micro USB was annoying for a little while, but I didn't have too many things with mini before mini pretty much went away).

I just bought a USB to USB 3 (not even 3.1) cable since it was cheap and I wanted another way if charging my switch without the gigantic included charger.

I haven't even looked into what kind of adapter I need if I want it to charge quickly (and whether it it will be compatible with my next phone or other USB C device).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
camera is all personal taste at some point with the top flagships. How saturated do you want your stuff?
I mean, just using it. Not photo quality. You can take photos again and again without it freezing up or stopping you from taking more photos. HDR is instant. Even Portrait mode (lens blur in Android land) is near instant and you can keep pumping out photos.

Groof

Flashed a Pixel rom on my old n5 and I'm now officially dual wielding because of my 6p's shitty battery. Missed the red n5 tbh, such a great colour

timnich

What's the Xperia phone to get nowadays? I'm stuck of my 6P's shitty battery life and have always been interested in Sony's phones due to the remote play functionality. Are there any Xperia phones with 6 inch displays?

JoeFu

Banned
My 6P battery life has been getting worse and worse every day. I hit around 60% battery life with like 35 min on screen time and I also have the stupid ~20% battery death thing.

This is so stupid. Hopefully that class action lawsuit does something.

Looking to replace the phone though. Don't want to get any of those fancy new flagships, but anything from last year worth it? For some reason I really want to get an HTC 10 ... someone talk me out of it?

Also don't want a chinese phone
someone please don't try to say taiwanese phone and chinese phone are the same

My 6P battery life has been getting worse and worse every day. I hit around 60% battery life with like 35 min on screen time and I also have the stupid ~20% battery death thing.

This is so stupid. Hopefully that class action lawsuit does something.

Looking to replace the phone though. Don't want to get any of those fancy new flagships, but anything from last year worth it? For some reason I really want to get an HTC 10 ... someone talk me out of it?

Also don't want a chinese phone
someone please don't try to say taiwanese phone and chinese phone are the same
3T

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I posted in the windows phone thread, but after a lag free experience on a best buy demo unit, I played around with my friend's Sprint version of the S8 and found a shocking amount of delays and lag. I just don't understand how Samsung is this inept. Swiping to bixby was as bad as swiping to that laggy blinkfeed screen on the old HTC m7 and 8 phones.

Jeffrey

bruh that's chinese, but I guess I haven't heard of spyware claims on OnePlus

------------

just saw on the last page the LG G6 lol. How is the price that low already? Does the mobo thing still affect LG phones?
There is a lawsuit that includes the V20 which was last year lol.

Also every phone has Spyware. Would you rather give your info to corporations, China, or trump?

teiresias

We don't seem to have a Chromebook OT (at least not one that pops to the top enough to where i think posting in it would get me any feedback), so forgive me if this is completely left field.

I've been debating getting either the Samsung Plus or Pro and was wondering if anyone has any experience with either one. A primary use-case for me would be reading PDFs (8.5x11 sized) of datasheets and large manuals and making notes, so the stylus appeals to me. I know most people say get an iPad for such a thing, but I make fairly good use of my current Chromebook, so getting one that just has a better screen and is convertible to add the PDF reading capability to the whole package appeals to me.

Anyone?

Zackat

We don't seem to have a Chromebook OT (at least not one that pops to the top enough to where i think posting in it would get me any feedback), so forgive me if this is completely left field.

I've been debating getting either the Samsung Plus or Pro and was wondering if anyone has any experience with either one. A primary use-case for me would be reading PDFs (8.5x11 sized) of datasheets and large manuals and making notes, so the stylus appeals to me. I know most people say get an iPad for such a thing, but I make fairly good use of my current Chromebook, so getting one that just has a better screen and is convertible to add the PDF reading capability to the whole package appeals to me.

Anyone?

I have one. I love the damn thing, use it constantly. I read a lot of pdfs on it but haven't messed with the stylus too much. I can test it out for you if you'd like.

Mindwipe

Camera usage isn't really related to single threaded performance. It's generally because of dedicated pathways in the processor for the camera hardware, and stacks of (expensive) on sensor cache RAM. Storage performance also helps to get the app up quickly.

No doubt Apple is good here (and Android OEMs are widely variable), but the two issues are coincidental rather than related.

Anyone?

Don't have the Samsung, but my suspicion is that the Plus will always be better there. Android apps fundamentally don't like Intel processors, and everything I've seen suggests that performance isn't really a big issue with the Plus. ChromeOS seems to be much more tolerant of different processor architectures than Android is.

Also I've been playing around with a Chromebook and I was really surprised at how well it worked for Android apps. On high end hardware it should be a really nice experience.

liquidtmd

Banned
Calling Android Tech-GAF - Got a new Moto Z Play and loving it. Have a Bluetooth issue though...I can't seem to find / pair my headphones.

Running Android 7.0 with latest security patch. Headphones are Phillips SHB8750NC. Worked fine with my Moto X Play. Have tried Wiping the Cache Partition but to no avail. Open to troubleshooting tips and providing more info. Ta!

Jeffrey

Calling Android Tech-GAF - Got a new Moto Z Play and loving it. Have a Bluetooth issue though...I can't seem to find / pair my headphones.

Running Android 7.0 with latest security patch. Headphones are Phillips SHB8750NC. Worked fine with my Moto X Play. Have tried Wiping the Cache Partition but to no avail. Open to troubleshooting tips and providing more info. Ta!

bluetooth is always a pain, took me awhile to pair my s8+ with my headphones even though bluetooth 5 is suppose to make this better lol.

Best to keep putting the headphones into pairing mode, and occasionally turn bt on and off on the phone. Eventually you will get it.

liquidtmd

Banned
bluetooth is always a pain, took me awhile to pair my s8+ with my headphones even though bluetooth 5 is suppose to make this better lol.

Best to keep putting the headphones into pairing mode, and occasionally turn bt on and off on the phone. Eventually you will get it.

Hopefully! It's weird. I can see other devices around, just not these headphones. The headphones themselves equally still connect to other sources.

Both are Bluetooth 4.0

reKon

Banned
Man I should have themed my keyboard all black sooner. This is pretty nice. It feels like the screen is keyboard is an extension of phone the way it looks wrapping around. On the GAF theme, it all comes together pretty nicely.

IronRaven

Man I should have themed my keyboard all black sooner. This is pretty nice. It feels like the screen is keyboard is an extension of phone the way it looks wrapping around. On the GAF theme, it all comes together pretty nicely.

Black/dark theme is the best.

NeOak

Moved to Swiftkey. Closest there is to WordFlow on Android.

The Samsung KB is a PITA, and doesn't correct for two languages at once like SwiftKey and the Google Keyboard.

Top Bottom