• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

reKon

Banned
Moved to Swiftkey. Closest there is to WordFlow on Android.

The Samsung KB is a PITA, and doesn't correct for two languages at once like SwiftKey and the Google Keyboard.

not sure when GBoard implemented GIFs, but in my eyes this is some GOAT shit.

I don't remember the reason I switched from Swift Key, but Gboard is amazing.

thenexus6

I can't move away from swiftkey but I HATE the fact you can not disable gesture typing, its so annoying.

My main problem with Gboard is the lack of auto complete / remembering my typing habits. Like if I pull up google search there is no auto complete, but there is with SK. Makes Gboard too frustrating to use.

kaiyo

What's the Xperia phone to get nowadays? I'm stuck of my 6P's shitty battery life and have always been interested in Sony's phones due to the remote play functionality. Are there any Xperia phones with 6 inch displays?

The 6" Xperia phones are low-mid range (Xperia XA1 Ultra, Mediatek chipset). The closest flagship would be the Xperia XZ Premium 5.5" 4k HDR, which comes out in early June.

Zackat

my s7e has been a little sluggish lately. should i factory reset it? I've never done it on this phone before and am not really sure if it will make things better or not

I mean, just using it. Not photo quality. You can take photos again and again without it freezing up or stopping you from taking more photos. HDR is instant. Even Portrait mode (lens blur in Android land) is near instant and you can keep pumping out photos.

Most of the high end phones are similar in timing or less for camera launch and hdr picture taking time. Phonearena has rankings.
Iphone is easy to use that is why it is famous. I mean taking picture can be very tricky. Have you seen Kardashians? Kylie is always taking pictures with 7+. Snapchat helps a lot too. It is the most famous phone on instagram.

Nikodemos

Finally received the Nougat upgrade on my Xperia Z5 Compact.

Also, I've just bought a Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus (WiFi version). Good impression so far. No audio sync issues (I remember reading they were fixed with a patch in February). The built-in-stand is quite useful. Can mount a memory card as internal storage (and install apps directly to it, by choosing Migrate Data). No tap-to-wake, but I can overlook that.

Does anybody know when it will receive Nougat? Lenovo have been rather vague from what I've read, something about "later this year".

Also, if you plan to buy one, go for the WiFi. The LTE model has weaker hardware.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Can't wait till we get some sales figures on the S8 to see how much of a bump this new redesign has done for sales.

Also more rumors the iPhone J8sus is gonna miss the traditional launch window due to OLED. That shit is gonna end up like the current Pixel aka eternally OOS.

If the Pixel 2 ends up also having supply problems again getting a flagship phone this year gonna be a mega PITA.

Blackhead

Redarse
Can't wait till we get some sales figures on the S8 to see how much of a bump this new redesign has done for sales.

Also more rumors the iPhone J8sus is gonna miss the traditional launch window due to OLED. That shit is gonna end up like the current Pixel aka eternally OOS.

If the Pixel 2 ends up also having supply problems again getting a flagship phone this year gonna be a mega PITA.

If the iPhone 'S8' is $1,000+ you'll have no trouble getting one.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If the iPhone 'S8' is $1,000+ you'll have no trouble getting one.

It'll sell regardless in the West. Maybe it won't have the full legs, but the initial stark redesign will be huge for people that want to own the best.

Plus nobody gonna pay $1000 anyways. Everyone just pays monthly. So if it's $5-$10 more a month people won't bat an eye.

Blackhead

Redarse
It'll sell regardless in the West. Maybe it won't have the full legs, but the initial stark redesign will be huge for people that want to own the best.

Plus nobody gonna pay $1000 anyways. Everyone just pays monthly. So if it's $5-$10 more a month people won't bat an eye.

The only Western nation where iPhone has consistently high sales and marketshare is USA which is 'coincidentally' the only market where the entry-level new iPhone model hasn't received a price increase and the only market where Apple offers the upgrade program. The iPhone 7 32GB right now is $32.41/$650 on Apple's upgrade program (the iPhone 7+ 256GB $45.75/$969). If iPhone 'S8' is $1,000+ it'll be $15-$20 more a month. Even in the USA that will be sticker shock.

Wonder if Apple would lower the price of the regular model to make the new design more desirable as a status symbol.
o_O

Naaah
that's basically what they did for the Apple Watch series 1/2 though. Of course more people are buying the Series 1 instead...

Blackhead

Redarse
People will pay their $200 down payment and will gladly pay $40 a month extra on top of their cell bill because they don't want to think.
We'll find out soon enough. It'll be fascinating watching Apple market the rumored lineup. I still can't believe it'll be $1,000+; I think $850 is the sweet spot (and no iPhone 7s+)

https://www.gizmochina.com/2017/04/23/lenovo-vp-reveals-moto-upcoming-phones-will-come-zuk-zui/

Seems like future Motorola phones will have the zuk skin?

Uh... No thanks.
Everybody overreacting while one of the comments in the article says "This is only for Motorola devices sold in China". The article makes it sound like they are just changing the software for the Chinese market to be competitive against other Chinese manufacturers that use their own popular skins.

Before now, the Moto brand basically runs on native Android OS right from when Google acquired Motorola and even after the brand was purchased by Lenovo. With such setup, competing in a market where custom ROM like the MIUI, Flyme, EMUI, and others exist will be a minus on its part. Thus, the latest move could be a last dash effort to tweak things for the Moto brand and make it more appealing and competitive in the market.

Anybody hace any useful Tasker tasks? I have used mine to turn off my WiFi automatically when I leave home and turn it on when I get back home.

Might go ahead and do other stuff like getting a different ring tone when it's someone not from my contacts list. But curious what other day to day stuff others have to help with keeping the phone in tip top shape. Might have mine turn off the Bluetooth when it doesn't sense my car's head unit is on but I don't know how to make it turn back on. Maybe when it senses android auto, but I think android auto turns it on automatically so I might be in the clear

Everybody overreacting while one of the comments in the article says "This is only for Motorola devices sold in China". The article makes it sound like they are just changing the software for the Chinese market to be competitive against other Chinese manufacturers that use their own popular skins.
TouchWiz is more popular than stock.

The bottom of the article also says "we tried to find the post confirming this, but we couldn't, it might not even be true".

So why even publish the article if you couldn't verify it first, geniuses? Just put rumor in front of it that's the level of reporting these people do.

Pretty disappointing that it is nearly the end of April and we still don't have any solid Pixel 2 leaks. The iPhone 8 looks to be slowly leaking out more and more and yet there's been nothing out there in regards to the Pixel.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I can't move away from swiftkey but I HATE the fact you can not disable gesture typing, its so annoying.

Since when? It has been several months since I used SwiftKey, but it used to be an option. I turned it off so I could use the gesture to swipe from right to left on the keyboard to delete the previously typed word.

IronRaven

Pretty disappointing that it is nearly the end of April and we still don't have any solid Pixel 2 leaks. The iPhone 8 looks to be slowly leaking out more and more and yet there's been nothing out there in regards to the Pixel.

I mean, it's probably not going to be anything to exciting. In fact, I'm going to make my own predictions based on current trends and my own uninformed opinions.

It's going to have a dual camera set-up, Snapdragon 835, minimal bezels, retains the headphone jack, and will ship with Bluetooth 5.0

There. Done.

Edit: My friend is still giving me shit about last week and my raving of mobile payments being the future. (-.-)

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

It's only April

Nexus season didn't start till late summer/early fall. I would expect the same thing for the Pixel

Zackat

When I reset my phone last night I forgot to backup my nova launcher settings 😭

Time to do it all over again I guess.

When I reset my phone last night I forgot to backup my nova launcher settings 😭

Time to do it all over again I guess.

This has happened to me so many times it is almost second nature to just set everything back up quickly...

I am lazy when it comes to settings backups.

So will there ever be a decent android tablet update?

Blackhead

Redarse

... you do know that leaks aren't supposed to happen, right? The longer the company keeps the device under wraps, the bigger the surprise.

Zackat

Whats the best/easiest solution for getting rid of bloatware? I did it by hand last time but I don't even wanna do that again. Isn't there a paid app that does it?

No Love

Banned
Whats the best/easiest solution for getting rid of bloatware? I did it by hand last time but I don't even wanna do that again. Isn't there a paid app that does it?

Package disabler for Samsung devices is the only one I know of.

I read somewhere last night that disabling packages can cause more errors and battery life drain than allowing the S8/+ to do its own optimization and disable unused apps etc. I just factory reset my phone to test this. Uninstalled/disabled most apps by hand and will see if my battery life is the same/worse/better.

Why in the world does Samsung takes so long to get their OS updates out? The volumes they sell, you'd think they'd want to offer the newest as soon as possible but no.

My G5 got Nougat mid December and the S7's got it in March? The S8 launched with 7.0 instead of the 7.1.

Just unacceptable.

CronoShot

Why in the world does Samsung takes so long to get their OS updates out? The volumes they sell, you'd think they'd want to offer the newest as soon as possible but no.

My G5 got Nougat mid December and the S7's got it in March? The S8 launched with 7.0 instead of the 7.1.

Just unacceptable.
To be fair, the G6 also launched with 7.0.

It's weird, because say what you want about Samsung and LG support, but until now they both consistently launched new phones with the latest Android update. It's genuinely strange that neither did this time.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Pixel leaks will come in the summer. Don't sweat it. iPhone leaks happening around now-ish are only because of the iPhone J8sus being a tremendous shift.

Actually debating whether to turn on iMessage. I've still kept it off.

Just unacceptable.

Whats in 7.1 that isn't in 7.0? I doubt anyone even knows without looking it up.

Top Bottom