• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

There is a certain part of me that says what's the fucking point of a Pixel in the world of the Galaxy S8.

That makes 0 sense. It could have a better camera or dual cameras. Sensible fingerprint scanner. Actually good battery life. No useless Bixby. No curved screen. Also, stock android for those that like it. And faster updates (I've heard Samsung can be pretty slow).

I like my S8 but I bought it because it came out at the perfect time (when my previous phone started shitting the bed). But it's not a perfect phone by any means and there's a lot to improve on.

reKon

Banned
That makes 0 sense. It could have a better camera or dual cameras. Sensible fingerprint scanner. Actually good battery life. No useless Bixby. No curved screen. Also, stock android for those that like it. And faster updates (I've heard Samsung can be pretty slow).

I like my S8 but I bought it because it came out at the perfect time (when my previous phone started shitting the bed). But it's not a perfect phone by any means and there's a lot to improve on.

There's a certain part of him though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
you're talking about a product nobody knows anything about

We can reasonably guess what the damn thing will be just like we did with the S8.

It isn't rocket science other than the build look.

Edit: Unless Google gets into the components game then we will always know what's available ahead of time.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Is it safe to import the S8+ from Dubai? I'm getting it for about $175 cheaper than what I can purchase it locally.

What do you say GAF?
As long as it's a reputable company and the version they're selling has the matching LTE bands of your carrier, you should be golden

Vanillalite

Thankfully I don't need a new phone this year, but I think anyone hoping to be blown away by the Pixel 2's design is going to be very disappointed.

Which begs the question what's the point with the S8 already out.

Rather Google just not have a phone for a year or two while they straighten their own shit out to release their own Android Jesus phone vs just half assing it again.

As someone who thinks Google should spend more time and effort with the Android One program (bringing it up to mid-to-high specs), the Pixel isn't supposed to sell like a S8 and if it "helps" OEMs get their shit together and make a better product, I'm fine with it. It's not made to compete with the Iphone sales-wise.

Having said that, there's a complete lack of direction at Google regarding Android outside of "let's get as many users on our services as possible"
The Pixel isn't like Microsoft's Surface devices. The whole point of it is to make a phone to compete with the iPhone and other premium devices and for Google to establish their own hardware brand similar to iPhone/iPad/Etc. If their plan was anything else they would have just stuck to the Nexus name and continued pumping out devices like that. I'm not sure where you got the idea it isn't supposed to compete with iPhone because the entire advertising push that Google's done is supposed to signal the oppose of that.

I think it's too early to say whether this year's Pixels will have a more modern design or not. We just haven't heard anything solid enough in the rumor/leak space. And if it doesn't, I don't see the issue with them releasing new ones this year. There's still a number of people who want faster updates and Google/"stock" Android, so that's who these devices are for.

Yeah, since HTC is making the Pixel again, my hype is at an all-time low for new Google phones.

Jazzy Network said:
It'll look like some old ass HTC phone with giant bezels. You heard it here first.

Pretty much. That, plus missing flagship features while commanding a premium price again.

As someone who thinks Google should spend more time and effort with the Android One program (bringing it up to mid-to-high specs), the Pixel isn't supposed to sell like a S8 and if it "helps" OEMs get their shit together and make a better product, I'm fine with it. It's not made to compete with the Iphone sales-wise.

Having said that, there's a complete lack of direction at Google regarding Android outside of "let's get as many users on our services as possible"

oh, that explains their marketing blitz on tv, radio, online and ads from times square to random highway signs in the dirty south...

The Pixel isn't like Microsoft's Surface devices. The whole point of it is to make a phone to compete with the iPhone and other premium devices and for Google to establish their own hardware brand similar to iPhone/iPad/Etc. If their plan was anything else they would have just stuck to the Nexus name and continued pumping out devices like that. I'm not sure where you got the idea it isn't supposed to compete with iPhone because the entire advertising push that Google's done is supposed to signal the oppose of that.

The Pixel will not sell over 10 million worldwide (probably won't hit 5 million). Apple does 10x that, Samsung does 3x that, even Huawei and Xiaomi do multiples of that.

Just because there's a advertising push in the US doesn't mean Google can remotely compete with Samsung and Huawei in sales.

The lastest Oppo and Vivo probably sold more in one week in China than Google in 6 months lol.

Is the Pixel a good phone? Absolutely, but I doubt Google/Alphabet will have the patience to build up the brand into something premium.

The Pixel will not sell over 10 million worldwide (probably won't hit 5 million). Apple does 10x that, Samsung does 3x that, even Huawei and Xiaomi do multiples of that.

Just because there's a advertising push in the US doesn't mean Google can remotely compete with Samsung and Huawei in sales.

The lastest Oppo and Vivo probably sold more in one week in China than Google in 6 months lol.

Is the Pixel a good phone? Absolutely, but I doubt Google/Alphabet will have the patience to build up the brand into something premium.
That's still different than what you were saying. You were saying it isn't supposed to compete with the iPhone or other devices, and I said that Google intends for it to compete with them (Although obviously it isn't as selling as well). Now you're saying it won't compete with them because it isn't selling well.

It seems obvious that Google intends to build out Pixel into a smartphone line-up to take on the iPhone however long it takes. It's not just some side project to get OEM's to work harder like the Nexus program might have been.

That's still different than what you were saying. You were saying it isn't supposed to compete with the iPhone or other devices, and I said that Google intends for it to compete with them (Although obviously it isn't as selling as well). Now you're saying it won't compete with them because it isn't selling well.

It seems obvious that Google intends to build out Pixel into a smartphone line-up to take on the iPhone however long it takes. It's not just some side project to get OEM's to work harder like the Nexus program might have been.

Long-term If Google wants to sell like a Galaxy S it better start selling well, however like I said spec-wise it's great but the Nexus line wasn't gimped spec-wise so the price bump makes it harder for them to sell.

I know they're trying the premium route but I doubt they can convince the general public to buy a Pixel over a S7 or S8 or another flagship phone. I also doubt they're in it for the long game knowing how Google cancels projects.

So for me it's hard to see what's different with the Pixel over the Nexus outside of being more expensive, having a marketing budget and some retail push. Google can't really compete with Samsung and Huawei in the marketing dollars, so it can only compete with the big boys with specs.

Is it safe to import the S8+ from Dubai? I'm getting it for about $175 cheaper than what I can purchase it locally.

What do you say GAF?

As long as it's a reputable company and the version they're selling has the matching LTE bands of your carrier, you should be golden

I got my wife an S6 off of eBay daily deals from there.

Works fine in the US on GSM.

Oh no, a friend of mine is visiting and she is going to get one from me in the store. Same device, bands and all. Just a different charger. The only downside to it is that the warranty wouldn't apply here in India.

So I'm going to be taking a chance, if at all I do come across problems. Which is why I was asking how safe are these devices or Samsung in general. This is going to be my first Samsung device besides the S6 I got for my mom.

IronRaven

Oh no, a friend of mine is visiting and she is going to get one from me in the store. Same device, bands and all. Just a different charger. The only downside to it is that the warranty wouldn't apply here in India.

So I'm going to be taking a chance, if at all I do come across problems. Which is why I was asking how safe are these devices or Samsung in general. This is going to be my first Samsung device besides the S6 I got for my mom.

After the Note 7 fiasco, I think Samsung have learned to better their QC to prevent any safety issues from arising. You'll be fine.

If you mean everyday issues that might occur like a cracked screen and whatnot, you should be able to repair it at a local repair shop. As you said, Samsung might not be able to help you since you bought it from out of the country.

Vanillalite

Just cross check the bands.

If the bands match that's all that matters.

Hesemonni

Banned
Ms28v2L.png

OnePlus 5. Are you hyped yet?

After the Note 7 fiasco, I think Samsung have learned to better their QC to prevent any safety issues from arising. You'll be fine.

If you mean everyday issues that might occur like a cracked screen and whatnot, you should be able to repair it at a local repair shop. As you said, Samsung might not be able to help you since you bought it from out of the country.

Yeah that I'd have to pay either way. Only manufacturer's issues would have been sorted through warranty but I won't be eligible to that now considering it is imported.

Just cross check the bands.

If the bands match that's all that matters.

Same device and model numbers. Just different plug in for charger.

Jeffrey

Need to see the front.

Also weird camera placement. Works better if they are side by side in the Apple/LG way.
Front probably is the same. Black slab with capacitive buttons and front finger print.

Can't tell from this render/bad photoshop if they will do a edge screen though.

Ms28v2L.png

OnePlus 5. Are you hyped yet?

Need to see the front.

Also weird camera placement. Works better if they are side by side in the Apple/LG way.

Front probably is the same. Black slab with capacitive buttons and front finger print.

Can't tell from this render/bad photoshop if they will do a edge screen though.

Most likely. There is no fingerprint sensor on the back, so definitely the physical button on the front.

Display resolution will be upped 2k. SD835. 6/8GB Ram. Dual lens camera.

That's probably it.

Is this a bigger deal in China than it is in Japan? I remember people saying the same about the PS4. It sounds ridiculous to me that that would be the reason for the naming.

It's pretty much confirmed they're going to skip the 4, just like Oppo and Vivo (seem to all be part of the same company).

Xiaomi don't seem to have a problem with the 4, though.

I'm probably gonna end up getting this year's 1+ since it'll be the least expensive of the three phones I'm interested in. The Note 8 and this year's Pixel XL are the other two.

Ty4on

Man, imagine what a phone the G6 could've been if it wasn't stuck at 32GB with the S821 and LG skin.

Edit:
Blind test top 5 smartphones cameras

My results are:
DDCACBEC
So Pixel XL wins
C and E almost all of the way for me. B was surprisingly bad and in the first picture you can make out a red cast in the center. Detail with D looked like over processed crap most of the time; especially in the first picture where the fine detail is completely lost and I don't mind some moire.

Noema

Most likely. There is no fingerprint sensor on the back, so definitely the physical button on the front.

Display resolution will be upped 2k. SD835. 6/8GB Ram. Dual lens camera.

That's probably it.

This could be my next phone.

Give it a 1440p display (I'd settle for 1080p if it's a quality LCD) and a 3400maH battery like the 3T for $440 and it's a no brainer.

Give me a no-frills hi-end phone with an unlocked bootloader that doesn't cost a fortune. Basically what the Nexus used to be.

rSpooky

Anyone know if it is worth upgrading from the LG v10 to the G6?

My wife got the S8 , and it is a great looking phone , but I am not super excited about the Samsung OS and on the LG's I just pushed the google app /overlay ( whatever you call it) to run things in a way I enjoy.

Maybe I should save some $$ and just wait? Anyway questions stands . G6 worthy to choose? (or any other suggestions?)

TheZink

Anyone know if it is worth upgrading from the LG v10 to the G6?

My wife got the S8 , and it is a great looking phone , but I am not super excited about the Samsung OS and on the LG's I just pushed the google app /overlay ( whatever you call it) to run things in a way I enjoy.

Maybe I should save some $$ and just wait? Anyway questions stands . G6 worthy to choose? (or any other suggestions?)
I bought one off swappa. Should have it tomorrow.

Top Bottom