• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

LogicStep

I keep thinking about the damn iPhone. This has been the hardest upgrade I've had to think about. I'm waiting on Pixel 2 info but I'm seriously not sure what I'm going to end up getting. The longer I can push this purchase back the better but I feel my phone could die any day.

Pocketcasts have launched a beta of their web player 2.0.

https://playbeta.pocketcasts.com/web/settings/about

Hmm, better than the old version, but really wish episodes would sync with the Android app.

How do you mean? I'm listening to an episode on my phone that I started earlier on the web app and the progress synced right over.

When I jump onto the browser version, it'll have a bunch of other episodes listed that I've already listened to and removed from my phone. Most times, it'll have my progress on most episodes, but even then, they don't all sync right.

Huh? Mine always have. Syncing across platforms is pretty much the feature that sold me on it.

Syncs fine here, although I am using the iOS app but that shouldn't make any difference. The one thing the web player has always had an issue with is that it always thinks that some really old episodes are unplayed in the web app even if they are marked as played on your phone. Only seems to be an issue for things that you listened to or marked as played before you logged into the web player for the very first time.

keuja

I keep thinking about the damn iPhone. This has been the hardest upgrade I've had to think about. I'm waiting on Pixel 2 info but I'm seriously not sure what I'm going to end up getting. The longer I can push this purchase back the better but I feel my phone could die any day.

Same but between iPhone X and LG v30. To be honest I'll probably buy the first one I can get my hands on, buy the other one when it's out and resell the one I like less before it depreciates too much...

Jeffrey

Both are stable for me except for a little lag on iOS 11, even Android Auto works correctly on my car now that I have a pixel.
Are you experiencing crazy battery lost? Seems common for folks on iPhone 7 and older.

A bit more complaining than usual from my quick observation.

XAL

Is there a trusted APK site? Aptoide?

I really want the fall update for Abyssrium Tap Tap Fish and I always get stuck on the tail end of the staggered update rollout (waiting 2 weeks +).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Are you experiencing crazy battery lost? Seems common for folks on iPhone 7 and older.

A bit more complaining than usual from my quick observation.

Yeah my iPhone 7 battery life is utter garbage. Tired of this phone already. Is the Note 8 battery life bad for its size? I'm concerned about the smaller battery compared to s8*

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah my iPhone 7 battery life is utter garbage. Tired of this phone already. Is the Note 8 battery life bad for its size? I'm concerned about the smaller battery compared to s8*

My wife has the 7 as well and has the same problem. She is pretty much done with Apple after her contract is done.

I'm gonna pass on Pixel XL 2 I think. Seems insane to pay $850+tax. I'll either keep my OnePlus 5 or get a pixel XL 1st gen. On the cheap.

Dr. Worm

Banned
Just ordered the 64/4 Moto G5S+ from Motorola. They had a thing come up that gave me a 10% student discount, so I paid a little under $300 after tax.

kaiyo

Get the XZ1 Compact, has a 108 h battery endurance.

With Qnovo and battery care, the battery lifespan should be close to new even after a couple of years.

Just installed iOS 11 on my mini 4. Not feeling it so far. Performance in certain areas is really choppy now. At least there's some split screen stuff now. Don't think I could do that before.

Majine

Banned
Is there a way to replace Samsungs emojis?

It's very jarring having them look one way (Samsung) in the keyboard, and output in a different emoji style in Messenger.

andthebeatgoeson

My pixel xl battery has gone to shit after going to Android 8.0. I'm losing 20% over 30 minutes.

What are the different reset options? I've cleared the cache but that did nothing. Is the next step factory reset?

That's all it takes?

Some people think it's cool to walk down the street while music blasts from their phone. It's like the 21st century version of those old boom boxes.

Well we know the hardware is going to be good and it runs stock android. Camera should be good. Price is high af though.

I think the window of opportunity for when anyone might have cared about stock Android closed around 3 years ago now. The roughly 28 people on Earth who still care all own Pixels, which is why it's not selling well these days. Google knows their niche and is determined to exploit it which is why they price the Pixel so high, especially compared to how Nexus used to cost. It has zero mainstream appeal anyways, so extract every dime they can from the few who care and are willing to pay.

axb2013

I've only had my mix 2 for a few days. I've moved on from a 3 &1/2 year old OPO so it was easy to be impressed.

It's really thin. It should have been "fatter", to make the camera flush with the body and accommodate a bigger battery. It just feels so thin, even with the case on. Cameras have gotten a lot better since the last time I was in the market for a new phone, SoC's too, no lag or stuttering. Battery life seems great initially, I can only imagine what the original mix was like. Enough space in the chin bezel to incorporate capacitive buttons, maybe it will happen for the mix 3. The other 3 bezels are definitely there, the rounded corners aren't helping but I'm not bothered at all. Speaker is quite loud, not as shrill as I'm used to hearing from phone speakers.
Excellent fit & finish. It is a good phone, with minimal changes it could have been a great one. If Xiaomi makes it easier to buy their phones internationally, opens up stock android options and doesn't go mainstream but rather have the mainstream follow their bold mix 1 concept, they can skyrocket their market share. Especially with current pricing, they can go from "a alternative flagship" to "the flagship to buy".

MIUI is definitely quirky. There is a setting that's enabled by default, it won't let you use mobile data to download apps. Unlocking the bootloader is complicated. MIUI account is mandatory to gain "admin" privileges. Lots of bloatware, most of it in Chinese. The global or EU ROMS are needed. The phone is functional enough once play store and access to google apps is there but if you are used to nexus/near stock Android experience, you will want to tinker.

I have no issue with lack of waterproofing, never owned a ip rated phone. The ceramic won't survive a fall, even with the included case that has no "lip" protecting the screen.
I think I made the right decision already but custom, stock oriented ROM's will make it a lot better. If you want to make a stand against the rising prices of flagships, mix 2 and the original are a good place to start. From the US, the original can be imported for $405 and while it's camera, display and SoC are 2016 standards, it holds up well especially with value proposition in mind. The early adopter fee for the mix 2 is slowly fading, once it settles at $500, it'a great alternative to $700+ flagships.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
dual front speakers on the pixel 2 xl. MAMA MIA! Now I'm interested again.

I don't understand why anyone would consider that important, and I ESPECIALLY don't know how anyone could want it over a headphone jack. Are people seriously listening to music through their phone speakers?! Speakers on phones, be it one or two of them, suck. Sure, for the random video here and there it's nice I guess, but fuck doing any real listening without headphones.

Worst design decision ever.

snacknuts

we all knew her
The deal of the day at Woot.com is a refurbed Google Pixel.

5" 32GB - $349.99
5" 128GB - $399.99
5.5" 32GB - $399.99
5.5" 128GB - $449.99

Not all combinations are available in all colors. They have the 5.5" 32GB model available in blue.

I don't understand why anyone would consider that important, and I ESPECIALLY don't know how anyone could want it over a headphone jack. Are people seriously listening to music through their phone speakers?! Speakers on phones, be it one or two of them, suck. Sure, for the random video here and there it's nice I guess, but fuck doing any real listening without headphones.

The Sony MDR-1000X says otherwise. Like, I understand the whole headphone jack argument but like Bluetooth headphones are getting better...much better than before. so for me, it's not that big of a lost. Before the headphone jack was removed, I bought the original Jaybirds X which was the best Bluetooth earphones on the market so transitioning to a phone without it wasn't a killer. Having one is Handy though, but I'd rather have less cords rather than a ton of cords...if anything, what I really miss the headphone jack for is AUX to car but I have Bluetooth so that's not an immediate problem.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I mean if I'm gonna be listening to music or a podcast I usually put my headphone on.

That being said a lot of times I'll just be chilling in bed with the wife playing Hearthstone so it would be nice to have better speakers for that. They don't even need to be HTC book sound.

Just do the Apple implementation. I see no reason why everyone shouldn't be doing this especially Samsung.

I consider front facing (stereo) speakers important, just not at the expense of a headphone jack. There's no reason this phone couldn't have both.

Blue Lou

When I jump onto the browser version, it'll have a bunch of other episodes listed that I've already listened to and removed from my phone. Most times, it'll have my progress on most episodes, but even then, they don't all sync right.

That sounds like an issue on your phone. It's not syncing with the Pocket Casts server to let the web player know your done with a podcast.

Husker86

I watch a random video far more often than putting on (bluetooth) headphones to listen to music/podcasts.

I get why people are angry at losing the headphone jack, but I don't think it's hard to understand why people would like front facing speakers. I'm so damn tired of cupping my hand at the ass of the phone to direct sound towards me.

Top Bottom