• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

I had no clue that audio reversal happened in the 3T. I'm also 99% sure 1+ won't bother fixing it.

But anyway, I need it shipped nowwww! Damn this 4th of July thing, interrupting my phone's arrival.

Toki767

Is there any difference between the AT&T and T-Mobile S8?

They seem to have the same hardware model number.

Do they both have the same bands?

Jeffrey

anyone familiar with selling carrier phones?

kinda want to sell my at&t s8+, paid it off over the weekend, anything else I need to do?

rc213

kinda want to sell my at&t s8+, paid it off over the weekend, anything else I need to do?

You could request a unlock from AT&T. Make after you reset that you go through the initial Android setup completely to make sure your info is good to sell.

NeOak

Is there any difference between the AT&T and T-Mobile S8?

They seem to have the same hardware model number.

Do they both have the same bands?

Yes, but AT&T has their own IMEI Whitelist for Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE, so if you wanna use any of that, it has to be their carrier version for almost all Android Phones.

You could request a unlock from AT&T. Make after you reset that you go through the initial Android setup completely to make sure your info is good to sell.

Indeed. Other than asking for the unlock code from AT&T at https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/ , and doing the regular wipe of data, nothing else.

Toki767

Yes, but AT&T has their own IMEI Whitelist for Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE, so if you wanna use any of that, it has to be their carrier version for almost all Android Phones.

I just wanted to make sure that all the bands were covered since T-Mobile phones seem to be cheaper to buy on Swappa than AT&T versions. Probably cause of the BOGO that was around.

kaiyo

wonder if there are any youtube reviewers that go indepth on 'ui performance'.

When every reviewer just calls every single phone 'fast and smooth' and show them scrolling down the multitasking carasole... that doesn't tell me shit lol.

Show me where the ui hangs, show me where the customizations over stock work and don't.

show not tell... that's the whole point of a video right? I can get artsy angles of the phone from the official website of the device, thanks.

What I can't get from a demo unit at best buy is the performance of a phone loaded up with apps.

Like here is something that no review mentioned about OP5, you know how the 'share menu' always hangs on android on load? near instant on OP5. Rotating from portrait to landscape? The delay is basically half of the s8.

It's these little things that actually impact your day to day usability for a power user which reviews and dumb speed tests don't tell ya.

I'm not saying every reviewer needs to go nerd out about this stuff, but it beats having everyone give the most basic of overviews of a phone, telling you absolutely nothing, that you couldn't figure out from a glance.

I think Damir Franc does pretty good video reviews.

Don't think he has any sponsor promotion in his videos either.

I just wanted to make sure that all the bands were covered since T-Mobile phones seem to be cheaper to buy on Swappa than AT&T versions. Probably cause of the BOGO that was around.

If you want a S8+ I have a brand new Verizon one I can flash to unlocked firmware so it works on any network and send it priority to you. It has all bands to work worldwide. All accessories unopened. Fully paid off. If interested pm me

NeOak

If you want a S8+ I have a brand new Verizon one I can flash to unlocked firmware so it works on any network and send it priority to you. It has all bands to work worldwide. All accessories unopened. Fully paid off.

You forgot the 12 MP pics and a price

jwk94

Give it a go some day, the only one who actually speaks for the general consumer

His reviews are a major major major go.
On a scale of 1-10 of course

Floss's reviews are pretty funny.

They're very entertaining. I like to listen to them in the background almost like a podcast.

I hate all of you lol. I decided to watch his Moto G5+ review and suddenly 12 minutes had passed. I can see why he's so popular. Gonna have to watch a few more of his reviews in the next few days.

You forgot the 12 MP pics and a price

Lol you seem a little salty over that gear 360 pic 😜 I used quotes and mobile resizes photos anyway, so I didn't see any issue with it.

I hate all of you lol. I decided to watch his Moto G5+ review and suddenly 12 minutes had passed. I can see why he's so popular. Gonna have to watch a few more of his reviews in the next few days.

Flossy is great. Can't wait for his OnePlus 5 review. Should be dropping soon.

NeOak

Lol you seem a little salty over that gear 360 pic �� I used quotes and mobile resizes photos anyway, so I didn't see any issue with it.

lol I was just joking.

And it is due to bandwidth consumption. There were times when there was 100+ images per page with all the reposts, 4 to 5MBs each, and most were on limited data plans browsing from their phones. A lot still are.

300 to 400 MB in pictures per page was too much, hence why we ask that everyone uses small pictures in their posts.

lol I was just joking.

And it is due to bandwidth consumption. There were times when there was 100+ images per page with all the reposts, 4 to 5MBs each, and most were on limited data plans browsing from their phones. A lot still are.

300 to 400 MB in pictures per page was too much, hence why we ask that everyone uses small pictures in their posts.

Ahh ok, i was joking too lol I've been on unlimited data so long I never even think of people that have data caps. That makes sense. I haven't kept up to date since I haven't really sold anything in the bst thread in a long time.

Nope that's only with Verizon and pixel right now. Definitely gonna lose money on resale. Oh well. I got other ways to make money.

Ah thought it was from any other carrier. Guess they stopped that deal.. Yeah, if you don't care about losing money it should be easy enough to sell. Pretty happy with your OnePlus 5? Maybe I should buy another and see if it also has the jelly issue.

Jeffrey

Ah thought it was from any other carrier. Guess they stopped that deal.. Yeah, if you don't care about losing money it should be easy enough to sell. Pretty happy with your OnePlus 5? Maybe I should buy another and see if it also has the jelly issue.

Yep. Don't care about camera much. Probably will be my phone for the year unless pixel or essential or op5t do anything notable.

Yep. Don't care about camera much. Probably will be my phone for the year unless pixel or essential or op5t do anything notable.

Probably a good move. I don't see any of them doing anything better speed wise than OP5. Hope the 5T comes quicker by September with a new screen or they can fix the screen on the 5 so I can get back on board.

Maddrical

Does anyone know if there is a way to turn off the alarm from showing on the lock screen? I've looked around and can't find anything. It doesn't bother me enough to turn my alarm off after each morning but this alarm is a constant in my life, I don't need the reminder there on my lock screen.

EDIT: I tried a different app instead of the default clock but it still displays the bloody thing.

kaiyo

Probably a good move. I don't see any of them doing anything better speed wise than OP5. Hope the 5T comes quicker by September with a new screen or they can fix the screen on the 5 so I can get back on board.
Well XZ premium is the faster than OP5 =P

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Fans of smaller phones rejoice? That might not be small enough for some though.

Samsung-Galaxy-S8-Mini.jpg

Mindwipe

Fans of smaller phones rejoice? That might not be small enough for some though.

It's not happening.

To be honest, at least the S8's lack of bezels and it's shrink mode (plus the shink mode on Google Keyboard) make it pretty usable one handed compared to most handsets.

I really don't see how the 821 as a chipset for a smaller S8 was ever probable. It's got a higher thermal window than the 835, so it'd be worse for a small form factor, not better.

Quixzlizx

What are the chances Samsung rejects this phone : \ The screen is fine.

I don't know why they're being such hardasses. I'm just going to return the s8+ if they don't accept it. I guess they're hoping most people will just eat the $175.

Ernest

Banned
I played around with my friend's new Blackberry KEYone android phone, and it was pretty sweet. Not too different from a Galaxy, only with a physical keyboard, which I kinda liked. Might be my next phone if I find a good deal...

source_merc_11.png

Sanic

Looking for some information here.

I've been using an iPhone on Sprint for the last 2+ years. I cracked the screen, and in the interest of not being wasteful i'd like to go back to using my old phone, an HTC One M7. The last version of Android that was officially supported was 5.0 (lollipop).

Having used different android phones in the past, I remember custom roms being a big thing and I was interested in finding a 7.0 rom for my HTC One. While they exist, there aren't many and all of them seem to have a variety of issues from what i'm seeing. My question is if I should feel alright (primarily from a security standpoint) in using a 5.0 phone as my daily driver for the time being? Is there somewhere outside of XDA I should be checking for custom roms? Should I really just buy a new phone?

Top Bottom