• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Kensation

Bixby Voice went live today. After using it for an hour:
anigif_enhanced-25705-1455912685-2.gif

sinxtanx

I went from an iPhone 4S to a Samsung Galaxy S5 mini today, whatever that means

I think it has Android 6? yes, it does

I have all my accounts and Firefox, what else should I get? I got that SwiftKey keyboard and now I can type like Initial D

Jeffrey

I have all my accounts and Firefox, what else should I get? I got that SwiftKey keyboard and now I can type like Initial D

All your social apps? Don't know.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Get Disscord then PM for a link to join our merry band of posters who chat there from GAF.

yagal

A better phone :)

sinxtanx

ok I'll do none of those things but thanks anyway

was mostly fishing for "oh shit your phone will explode" type stuff and that has been avoided

Mindwipe

I would not use Firefox on that device, myself. Samsung Internet will be unambiguously faster.

Otherwise, I would always recommend using Google Play Music and uploading your cloud collection from iTunes on your PC/Mac if it's available in your country. I'd use a different launcher like Nova or Action Launcher. I'd grab MX Player for video playback, a password manager (your preference), Google Duo, and ArkTube from XDA Developers (it's not on the Play Store) for YouTube. Other apps, it depends what you use. Games wise, I liked Solitarica a lot (it's free with a single IAP to unlock the whole game and that's it) and it's not too demanding hardware wise.

Jeffrey

ok I'll do none of those things but thanks anyway

was mostly fishing for "oh shit your phone will explode" type stuff and that has been avoided

Could still though. Batteries are flammable. I'd recommend everyone to avoid charging your phone near your bed.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If anyone wants a discord invite to GAF chat to hear people bitch about headphone jacks and a gazillion Google messaging services among other random shit hit me up via PM.

DagsJT

Hmm had the Pixel for a day and it's such a nice phone, really smooth compared to the S7.

But the Bluetooth is shit. I use it regularly for streaming in my car and running but the stutter is driving me crazy already.

I might just put up with it until Pixel 2 but it's going to be tough given how annoying it is already.

These are all compatible with the rapid charge feature, yeah? I got a monoprice replacement for my broken Google cable and it only charges slowly.

you got to worry about some of those cables still
while they are technically verified some will lose their "snugness" after a few months when connected to chargeres/power banks

Hmm had the Pixel for a day and it's such a nice phone, really smooth compared to the S7.

But the Bluetooth is shit. I use it regularly for streaming in my car and running but the stutter is driving me crazy already.

I might just put up with it until Pixel 2 but it's going to be tough given how annoying it is already.

Bluetooth stuttering? Never seen that on my Pixel XL.

It takes a abnormally long time to sync up with my car stereo, but never stuttering.

The first crack is always the hardest

It does suck.

Ouch

So your crack cherry has been...cracked?

Yup, got over it now. Then again I'll most likely get either the new iPhone/Pixel this year, so not going to get the display changed, not yet anyway.

Rip. Rugged armor has worked well for me for most phones but I guess s8 is just more fragile?

Remember not to go swimming with that phone anymore!

Yeah it does, the phone fell on the screen first, then flipped over to the other side which is where the case is, if it happened the other way around, it would have been just fine. Sucks :(

Now that I think about it, less than knee level drop made the phone flip with the case on it, damn!

I usually recommend the RhinoShield (if they support your phone). I've dropped my phone multiple times with this on my phone and the phone is still all good.

Yeah but like I said, it isn't the bumper/back/case, the screen fell on the ground and there might have been something on the floor that knocked on the screen to give that crack. So don't think a case/bumper case would have done the job, probably a tempered glass would have saved it but then again I wouldn't want to use a phone with a tempered glass on the display. The texture changes.

Are you resting your hand on your phone?

My Mazda's Bluetooth has shit range compared to whatever Philips player I had installed in my old truck, but the connection really only gets spotty when some part of me is between my phone and the dash. Like when I put my hand on my thigh near my phone.

DagsJT

Are you resting your hand on your phone?

My Mazda's Bluetooth has shit range compared to whatever Philips player I had installed in my old truck, but the connection really only gets spotty when some part of me is between my phone and the dash. Like when I put my hand on my thigh near my phone.

Nope, it's sitting an inch away from the Bluetooth receiver in my car in a cubby.

RoKKeR

Hey everybody, I need some serious help. I just got to Ireland and am having substantial issues with my GS7e. I turned the phone off to charge, and plugged it in using Samsung's wall adapter and a US -> Euro wall adapter. I turned the phone back on and things are all fucked up. My screen/resolution is stretched to all hell, it is as if the aspect ratio is completely off. For example, my keyboard literally takes up half of the screen at the moment. I keep getting random notifications that say "x app has stopped working". When I turned it on I got all of these System UI "help" notifications as if I had factory reset my phone, not to mention that my keyboard was overridden to the default Samsung keyboard.

What the hell is going on? Did I just fry my device while charging it or something? I have no idea how to fix it or get it back to normal, and am obviously very frustrated that this happened my first day overseas.

Jeffrey

It does suck.

Yup, got over it now. Then again I'll most likely get either the new iPhone/Pixel this year, so not going to get the display changed, not yet anyway.

Yeah it does, the phone fell on the screen first, then flipped over to the other side which is where the case is, if it happened the other way around, it would have been just fine. Sucks :(

Now that I think about it, less than knee level drop made the phone flip with the case on it, damn!

Yeah but like I said, it isn't the bumper/back/case, the screen fell on the ground and there might have been something on the floor that knocked on the screen to give that crack. So don't think a case/bumper case would have done the job, probably a tempered glass would have saved it but then again I wouldn't want to use a phone with a tempered glass on the display. The texture changes.

Depends on the quality of temper glass. But all the ones for curved phones are trash anyways. It sucks. I don't think curve Glass add anything useful. Just makes protecting it impossible

kaiyo

Hey everybody, I need some serious help. I just got to Ireland and am having substantial issues with my GS7e. I turned the phone off to charge, and plugged it in using Samsung's wall adapter and a US -> Euro wall adapter. I turned the phone back on and things are all fucked up. My screen/resolution is stretched to all hell, it is as if the aspect ratio is completely off. For example, my keyboard literally takes up half of the screen at the moment. I keep getting random notifications that say "x app has stopped working". When I turned it on I got all of these System UI "help" notifications as if I had factory reset my phone, not to mention that my keyboard was overridden to the default Samsung keyboard.

What the hell is going on? Did I just fry my device while charging it or something? I have no idea how to fix it or get it back to normal, and am obviously very frustrated that this happened my first day overseas.

Did you try turning it off and back on? Or try going into safe mode to see if the problem persists there? (Turn off of the phone then press and hold the power button until you see the Samsung logo and then immediately hold the volume down button until you see safe mode at the bottom corner. To get in to safe mode)

Saiyan-Rox

Lol

Don't even get the crew started. We've jump to sooo many different chat apps.

Mother fuckers always be bitching when we'd purge a chat and move to a new program. Lol

Last time I was in the chat it was hangouts and I checked one day to see it gone. how many clients have you all been through?

Furyous

AndroidGAF, help me find my next smartphone crush.

*smartphone crush means the device I want to buy after it's gone down in price because I'll be fucked if I spend $500 for something that only receives a maximum of two OS updates

The G6+
The Q8 (aka LG V20 Mini)
The new Xperias announced at the end of next month

The G6+ ticks most of my list minus the IR blaster, removable battery, and wireless fast charging but slow update history.

The Q8 misses the wireless fast charging and has 2016 SOC but slow update history.

I only want a new Xperia because near AOSP software, side mounted fingerprint sensor and stellar update history.

I'd be fine with a Moto device but seriously they love excluding basic sensors everyone else includes and have shotty update history.

Jeffrey

Also no 6gb ram option in the US.

Oneplus and that one random ASUS phone are basically it for phones over 4gb ram.

More ram is better than less ram. Also I'm averaging 5.5 to 6 hr sot on my op5 so battery isn't an issue.

RoKKeR

Did you try turning it off and back on? Or try going into safe mode to see if the problem persists there? (Turn off of the phone then press and hold the power button until you see the Samsung logo and then immediately hold the volume down button until you see safe mode at the bottom corner. To get in to safe mode)
The first ended up being to turn Power Saving mode on and then off. So strange, but it seems to be back to normal for the moment...

Sad to hear about the passing of a fellow GAFer. Fuck cancer.

Moto G5 Plus battery life is impressive as someone coming from a Nexus 5X. Woke up at 3am to travel from Philly to New Orleans for a family reunion. Battery life is at 51% with 5 hours of screen on time. The 5X would have been struggling.

Top Bottom