• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Avtomat

It's interesting, that definitely seems to run against my personal perception that real life use on the Exynos is better than the Snapdragon I use for testing.

Someone on the reddit thread on this states that the snapdragon variants have slower UFS storage than the exynos variants so I would imagine that may play a part in your perception.

Also the International version devices always receive updates first. The recent discovery of two critical security flaws in Broadcom WiFi chips which are fixed in the April and July security patches for Android highlights just how important speedy updates are these days, barring overpaying for Pixel devices this is as good as it gets for the majority of Android device owners.

I love all the updates my international unlocked Exynos S7 is getting. Still sitting on the May 2017 security update at the end of July. So fast. Got Nougat in March, while carrier versions got it first. Again, love it.

reKon

Banned
Hoping that Sony's bezel less phone will deliver. I bet it ends up looking so much better than it's other flagship, but pisses me off with poor low light capabilities. I might comprise though if it came back to being a battery beast like the old Xperia phones were, but I don't that. A 1080P screen might be another feature that I may be willing to comprise on, but it a device would have to kill it on almost everything else.

reKon

Banned
Just a heads up. I was reading on XDA that there are certain apps that may cause all that jankiness that may be seen on the S8 phones. One that was bought up was any bixby remapping app can cause issues (fucking Samsung). As always I would factory reset your phone and start off with the most basic apps you use if you want to test and see if that makes a difference.

Esqueleto

Banned
Just a heads up. I was reading on XDA that there are certain apps that may cause all that jankiness that may be seen on the S8 phones. One that was bought up was any bixby remapping app can cause issues (fucking Samsung). As always I would factory reset your phone and start off with the most basic apps you use if you want to test and see if that makes a difference.
Been saying this since day one. All the ones I tried start lagging like crazy when there is any kind of input. Scrolling was really janky until I let go of the screen. They might have improved over time but it was still horrible the last time I checked before tmobile patched them out.
No need to reset. Just disabling the service fixes it.

gerg

Finally put in an order for a Oneplus 5. In a way it was a toss-up between that and a Moto Z2 Play (as the OnePlus 3T isn't available off contract, and I decided to splurge in the hope that it'd last me a good 2-3 years. Has anyone had any experience here with the insurance company OnePlus partners with?

Saiyan-Rox

Anyone tried these magnetic type USB chargers? Sort of turns a cell phone plug into a magnetic Apple type connector.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/GET...lgo_pvid=39b43e7d-4f50-4892-86ad-414a01b26e38

I got a couple of these and for a bit they were pretty cool but after a while I noticed that while charging the screens were extremely unresponsive and gave ghost touches everywhere. also no quick charging either. it's also hit or miss on magnetic strength one cable was really strong to the point taking the charger off pulled the whole thing out of the port while the other one disconnected with just a tap.

Jeffrey

Finally put in an order for a Oneplus 5. In a way it was a toss-up between that and a Moto Z2 Play (as the OnePlus 3T isn't available off contract, and I decided to splurge in the hope that it'd last me a good 2-3 years. Has anyone had any experience here with the insurance company OnePlus partners with?

nope. but expect nothing good.

also don't expect to keep them around too long because of their support...

luckily op phones hold their value well, so you could always upgrade annually without losing too much money.

Sold the s8+ finally. Learned my lesson. Luckily I got a nintendo classic from the Amazon truck thing so that makes up financially.

akileese

Has anyone been having issues with Waze on AA since it went out of beta and into live? I had zero issues with the betas at all but the first live version brought a slew of issues. No markers on the map, no traffic indications, alternate routes hanging the navigation and forcing me to stop it.

I've got an S8+ so I'm curious if anyone else around here is having these problems.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
S8 US variants all seem to use the slower 2.0...

BUT

S8+ variants in the US all seem to have shipped with the 2.1

Wish Anandtech could have tested both to see a difference.

reKon

Banned
S8 US variants all seem to use the slower 2.0...

BUT

S8+ variants in the US all seem to have shipped with the 2.1

Wish Anandtech could have tested both to see a difference.

As always though, nobody reads.

In terms of noticeable peformance, it doesn't matter what version you get. This concerns write speeds more than read speeds. I guess that I shouldn't be surprised that people here skimmed that part of the anandtech analysis. Even less technical sites have commented on this manner. Therefore if people are upset then they are so out of principle, which is sort of silly. Last year the peformance disparity between the SD820 and Exynos 8890 was noticeable something to be legitimately angry about.

Vanillalite

Write speeds matter a ton for me cause my games are always fucking updating.

When I'm installing gig hearthstone patches I fucking care about write speeds.

Ditto when I play Minecraft as that shit has to write all kinds of data depending upon what I'm doing playing.

As always nobody considers that write speeds matters to people.

gerg

nope. but expect nothing good.

also don't expect to keep them around too long because of their support...

luckily op phones hold their value well, so you could always upgrade annually without losing too much money.

So does this mean the insurance isn't worth paying for? I know that they use an external company (simplesurance) which is significantly cheaper than the monthly charge a phone carrier would add for insurance. (I'm in the UK, btw. I think the situation with support is quite different in the US.)

Jeffrey

So does this mean the insurance isn't worth paying for? I know that they use an external company (simplesurance) which is significantly cheaper than the monthly charge a phone carrier would add for insurance. (I'm in the UK, btw. I think the situation with support is quite different in the US.)
Hmmm not familiar with them. Might have to do some research although people that write reviews for insurance service usually only do it if they get fucked lol.

Jeffrey

Mkbhd got that red phone lol.

I hate hyping up my videos too long before they’re done, but…

You’re gonna want to turn on notifications for this week of uploads 🔥🔥🔥 https://t.co/ARkWYQswpb

The other interesting phone of the summer.

Jeffrey

Yeah its weird how 2016, smartphones were basically perfected besides fireball.

Now 2017 Samsung with lol fingerprint sensor, Huawei giving up on Olephohic coating, HTC trying to pull a fast one with HTC u. Oneplus jelly. Lg with region locking features. Zte giving up on axon. Honor giving up on US.

Ty4on

Now 2017 Samsung with lol fingerprint sensor, Huawei giving up on Olephohic coating, HTC trying to pull a fast one with HTC u. Oneplus jelly. Lg with region locking features. Zte giving up on axon. Honor giving up on US.
It's so bad that HTC is looking kinda decent lol

Skip year. Google is also gonna pull shenanigans and piss people off.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
DGGdRMDWAAEIEBP.jpg

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/892167245740347393

We already knew, but for those who didn't, here's Note 8: THE OCHO

Vanillalite

5G has yet to be deployed? There aren't even standards set in stone yet. It's still years out.

Well I did put it in ""s as whatever you want it to call it. 4.5G, 4G HSPA+, LTEA whatever the fuck you want to call whatever it is we are getting now.

reKon

Banned
Write speeds matter a ton for me cause my games are always fucking updating.

When I'm installing gig hearthstone patches I fucking care about write speeds.

Ditto when I play Minecraft as that shit has to write all kinds of data depending upon what I'm doing playing.

As always nobody considers that write speeds matters to people.

Lol fair enough. But, is it a common enough problem for everyday usage!?!

Massa

I'm on Android O DP4 with the latest Gmail app and it seems you can't have a different notification sound for different Gmail accounts anymore. :/

Android O has been nothing but a huge disappointment so far. I still can't believe they have every app using the same icon shape now. And by "every" I mean half of them because of course this is how it goes.

Top Bottom