• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Wear |OT| 2nd Gen is Here

Danj

So I know everyone's talking about iThingies right now but can anyone tell me what's the best Android Wear 2.0 smartwatch to get in 2017?

I'm particularly interested in models with NFC which can do Android Pay.

Jzero

How's Android Wear nowadays? I still love my Gear S3 but I might consider grabbing a Zenwatch 3 or Huawei Watch 2 Classic to change it up a bit.

The software is way snappier but there's still not an "ultimate" watch out there that has all the good features while also looking good.

Husker86

The software is way snappier but there's still not an "ultimate" watch out there that has all the good features while also looking good.

This is where I'm at and it sucks.

Huawei Watch is probably the longest I've ever actively used a piece of mobile technology and I want to upgrade badly but...there's nothing that seems worth it.

Husker86

Zenwatch 3

Hmm, looks nice and great price. No heart rate monitor, though. Though it's not like the one in the Huawei is that useful since it doesn't do constant monitoring. Ambient Light sensor would be refreshing.

My ideal watch would have constant HR monitoring (I just like stats, what can I say), light sensor, and standard band support like the Huawei Watch.

I wish Google put more into fitness apps, they're really falling behind there and I can't see that category as being a fad so I don't get it.

Hmm, looks nice and great price. No heart rate monitor, though. Though it's not like the one in the Huawei is that useful since it doesn't do constant monitoring. Ambient Light sensor would be refreshing.

My ideal watch would have constant HR monitoring (I just like stats, what can I say), light sensor, and standard band support like the Huawei Watch.

I wish Google put more into fitness apps, they're really falling behind there and I can't see that category as being a fad so I don't get it.
I have a Fitbit One for keeping track of steps, etc. I like the look and feel of the Zenwatch 3 but can see where it's missing some features. I wish there was Fitbit integration but given they want to sell their own (ugly ass) watches I doubt we'll ever get it.

This is where I'm at and it sucks.

Huawei Watch is probably the longest I've ever actively used a piece of mobile technology and I want to upgrade badly but...there's nothing that seems worth it.

i'm thinking about upgrading from my Huawei Watch ... to a Gear S3

they got WatchMaker now, perfect time to jump in.

Hasney

I'm still happy with my LG Watch R. Other than NFC for Google Pay, none of the newer features are things I care that much about.

Nafai1123

Banned
Finally got my watch to work with AW 2.0. Had to factory reset my phone for it to finally allow me to sync my Google account on my watch. Google Assistant on the watch is sweet.

Now I'm thinking about getting a new watch, but running into the same issue everyone else is in regards to style//size/functionality/price. I just want a sleek, thin round watch with decent battery life and NFC. I don't really care about HR monitor/GPS.

Zenwatch 3 is stylish and thin but no NFC.

Fossil is chunkier and doesn't have any more functionality than Zenwatch 3.

LG Watch Style is thin and looks good but doesn't have NFC and battery is shit.

New Ticwatch S/E doesn't have NFC even though it has GPS/HR monitor.

Huawei Watch 2 Classic has everything but doesn't look as good as OG Huawei and is expensive.

LG Watch Sport has the same issue and has LTE which I can't even use on Verizon.

Seems all these manufacturers are fighting for the sports market, making their watches uglier and chunkier to fit in as much tracking functionality as they can (see, Huawei, Samsung, LG). How about just one watch that is stylish and thin and can do NFC without breaking the bank?

Blackhead

Redarse
Finally got my watch to work with AW 2.0. Had to factory reset my phone for it to finally allow me to sync my Google account on my watch. Google Assistant on the watch is sweet.

Now I'm thinking about getting a new watch, but running into the same issue everyone else is in regards to style//size/functionality/price. I just want a sleek, thin round watch with decent battery life and NFC. I don't really care about HR monitor/GPS.

Zenwatch 3 is stylish and thin but no NFC.

Fossil is chunkier and doesn't have any more functionality than Zenwatch 3.

LG Watch Style is thin and looks good but doesn't have NFC and battery is shit.

New Ticwatch S/E doesn't have NFC even though it has GPS/HR monitor.

Huawei Watch 2 Classic has everything but doesn't look as good as OG Huawei and is expensive.

LG Watch Sport has the same issue and has LTE which I can't even use on Verizon.

Seems all these manufacturers are fighting for the sports market, making their watches uglier and chunkier to fit in as much tracking functionality as they can (see, Huawei, Samsung, LG). How about just one watch that is stylish and thin and can do NFC without breaking the bank?

How cheap are you trying to get? I mean the Huawei Watch 2 is $250--$350 (same price range as the Apple watch series 1)... if you can't afford that then wait for sales/ebay I guess

Nafai1123

Banned
How cheap are you trying to get? I mean the Huawei Watch 2 is $250--$350 (same price range as the Apple watch series 1)... if you can't afford that then wait for sales/ebay I guess

Yeah, I noticed the HW2 sport is $216 on Amazon right now, which seems like a good price for the functionality. I had kinda written it off due to the ho-hum reviews. Might go to Walmart tonight to check them out since they've got them in stock.

Jzero

Anyone getting delayed notifications with Instagram? I get the notifications like 2 hours later but it doesn't seem to happen with other apps
What's the lightest android wear watch that can do bluetooth/google play music?
Pretty sure all the watches need Bluetooth. Or do you mean store music on the watch and listen with wireless earphones?

Nafai1123

Banned
What's the lightest android wear watch that can do bluetooth/google play music?

They all do BT/google play music. The lightest one is probably the LG Watch Style, but I've heard battery life isn't the greatest.

I ended up getting the new Fossil Explorist on sale for $191. Should be delivered today!

Ended up getting a Fossil Q Explorist. Hopefully with light use I can crank out at least 2 days of life. It looks much nicer than my Gear S3 Frontier. Not used to the Wear interface but the rotating crown helps alot.

Top Bottom