• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anecdotal evidence RE: Xbox One vs PS4 demand

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfur

Do you understand the concept of two things sitting in front of you and determining on your own the difference in size? There is not a dramatic difference.

Do you work for IGN?

/jk

Seriously though, in the vertical stacking space of ~7 Xbones, you can stack ~12 PS4.

dmr87

The #thirst is real.

iycw7J02m48Ae.gif

Hurt you? That would be the greatest possible outcome. The meltdowns and Bonus Round crow-eating would make this the best Christmas ever. And I say that as a PS4 owner.

Actually you're right. That would be the best outcome not just because of the blood in the water from it but also because I believe the Wii U has the best exclusives at present and thus should do the best this winter imo. It won't at all of course

This is also coming from a PS4 owner lol

Sakura

Yea PS4 demand here is kind of crazy. I've talked to a number of people that used to be Xbox and have switched to PS4, but I haven't met any body that's done the reverse. It also doesn't help that MS isn't shipping nearly as many XBOs (here where I live in Canada at least).

someone needs to explain to me how someone can buy a different console when the one they actually want is not in stock and they are not willing to wait a week or two to get it.

I find it genuinely baffling.

Jabba

Banned
Yet I get the feeling doesn't apply in reverse. Yes, I'm dismissive of Sony's exclusives but others are dismissive of Microsoft's as well. I don't have a problem with it, but it comes across as hypocritical. That's because you know as well as I do that Microsoft could release a whole bunch of great games and there are people that are still going to hold a grudge, whether it be for DRM or Kinect in the box or 720p or whatever.

I'll eat crow if the situation doesn't turn out to be like that, but I doubt I'll have to.

And that success turned into complacency. You can see it in any industry. It's why we shouldn't be celebrating domination. What Y2Kev said is wrong: it doesn't always mean the best product is winning. Neither the iPhone or the Galaxy S series are the best phones on the market and they are still the market leaders. There is so, so much more to it and his view is rather blinkered.

I'm sorry but DRM, imo, but not the other stuff is grudge worthy. Am I saying everyone should hold DRM against Microsoft? No, but imo it's a reasonable grudge to hold. The other ideas were not going to possibly give all control to the corporations. Leaving consumers with very little recourse to solve problems should they arise.

The company was going to try and corner the market and wage war on consumer fair use. Who the hell knows what else they would have done after gaining control of your purchase after your purchase. It isn't the point that they may not have succeeded, it's that they dared to do it in the first place. Then when the consumer base questioned it, acted as if consumers didn't understand real threats to fair use.

As someone who supported them till about 08, it was sad to see such agressive moves against the consumer to that extreme.

In an even bigger picture, it could have opened other industries to come up with their own schemes as to why they also should be special and no one should control anything in their respective industries either, except of course, the corporations involved in the industry. There should be a healthy gain for both. That DRM scheme was no where near close.

The next gen would have gotten worse had DRM succeeded. Now that they have truly showed their ttrue end game you wonder why some are holding a grudge? That's my take on DRM and why I'm extremely leary of Microsoft.

Every corporation is guilty in one way or another. I know that also. This one was hard to just over look for myself.

Gurrry

There are no ps4s or xbox ones anywhere near me.

So what does that mean?

Thats what I thought. Doesnt mean shit.

fritolay

I think Halo 4 has hurt MS a lot. Customers who may have stuck with XB1 for the next Halo game, the champion of all exclusives for years on a console, if there was still the hype and fan base there. Without that, and the 100 dollar price difference, more people are inclined to jump ship to PS4.

Lots of posts about how real competition is bad and pseudo-competition with the artificial propping up of failing parties is better.
Apple and Samsung are winning the smartphone war because they make and sell the best value proposition. Samsung offering the better value proposition is why they began to eat Apple's marketshare.

If dominance breeds complacency, to the extent that the company's products no longer offer sufficient value proposition, then they will lose marketshare.
If Sony becomes too dominant with the PS4 and that results in them resting on their laurels, and their product consequently stops being the more compelling for the consumer market, then they will be "punished" by the consumer market. If they become dominant and yet continue to strive to provide the best value proposition, then they will be "rewarded." But that's on Sony, or Microsoft, or Nintendo, or EA, or Activision; it's not on the consumer.

That is the nature of competition. And that is how it should be.

The onus is on the maker to make compelling products, not on the buyer to buy or think kindly of them, and try to create false balance, regardless of whether they are compelling.

CLEEK

Here on GAF? Pretty much. Albert and MN certainly seem to have packed it up.

The reason is obvious. They were reputation managing like crazy, to just get over the line until the console was on sale. Using calming words to ease the folks who had pre-orders, and hopefully convincing others that the the Xbox was a worthwhile purchase.

Everything they said said prior to the Xbone being available - all their claims, justifications and reasoning - could only be taken at face value, as the end user didn't know for sure.

But you can't put spin on facts and actual end suer experiences. So once the Xbone released, and face/offs started happening, owners started experiencing the broken UI, dodgy scaling etc, they stopped posting.

Racer1977

NA is always going to be a battleground were MS will be strong, no matter what shit has gone on in the past.

Over here in the UK, the 360 was a hit due to it's price, early launch, and better multi-plats. Those advantages are no longer a factor, and as we are starting a new generation, no one is invested into the online ec0-systems, friends can switch on mass.

Well, the XB1 sales, "for the time being" are tracking over 360 in both US and UK. You also have to consider the fact that not all 100 million of the Wii owners were "casuals". Some of those dedicated gamers will swing both to XB1 and PS4. Also remember that the 360 is already over 80 million consoles and will end closer to 90 million, so an 80 million lifetime for XB1 isn't that extraordinary and in fact a decline in their ecosystem.

I expect the entire market to shrink (mainly because of the absence of the Wii phenomenon), but I still believe the total sales of this generation will at least reach 200 million, which does not contradict currently available data on market size.
Remember that the 360 sold relatively poorly out the gate, as it was preceded by the Xbox and most people were waiting for Sony's new console. It was a combination of 599 US DOLLARS and Gears of War that lead to the 360 taking off.

I think the Xbox One's launch is more comparable to the ps3's early years, which saw high launch sales due to its predecessor's popularity, followed by a very steep drop off due to its price.

It remains to be seen how far they'll fall relative to Sony circa 2007, but they lack the advantages Sony had that allowed them to recover gracefully: being the de facto HD console of choice in Japan and much of Europe, and having a splattering of additional exclusives because of that that would pad their already strong first party line up, helping them prop up sales globally.

I think Xbox One reaching 80 million will depend heavily on the reception of its media features, and whether Microsoft can land an exclusive game that's "the next big thing". I, personally, don't think the former will be perceived as being different enough from ps4 to swing enough sales in their direction, and the latter is completely unknowable.

Gurrry

I think Halo 4 has hurt MS a lot. Customers who may have stuck with XB1 for the next Halo game, the champion of all exclusives for years on a console, if there was still the hype and fan base there. Without that, and the 100 dollar price difference, more people are inclined to jump ship to PS4.

Wrong.

MS shot themselves in the foot early. So hardcore gamers decide to "stick it to the man" and goto PS4. The softcore/casual people probably still think that Xbox One still has the DRM policies in place. They also go for the PS4 due to that. Not to mention its cheaper.

So now what you have, are a bunch of people (especially folks on the Gaf) who are trying to find any type of "evidence" that their choice was the right one. You want your purchase to be justified. You want the other console to suffer so that you dont feel as though you are missing out on anything. Its understandable.

It has nothing to do with Halo. And the stock and sales so far also have zero bearing. Threads like this are becoming the most annoying thing about neogaf lately.

Its a console war.. I get it. But some people here act like the war is already over, and those people are the ones who are trying to justify their purchase with evidence that is hardly an indicator of anything.

Gurrry

So you came into an anecdotal evidence thread that is clearly labeled as such to post this? For shame.

Does it really matter what the title says? I see these exact same threads every single day. The point he/she is trying to make is the same regardless.

"OMG Xbox one isnt sold out everywhere!?! I guess sony wins! Now let me get back to not playing my awesomely awesome next gen console and making sure I tell everyone who got the other one that their purchase was WRONG!"

Sakura

What's with stores that do this? People could get hurt, they could be breaking PS4s by knocking them over, fights could break out, etc. My Walmart keeps the systems behind the counter on launch and people have to line up, makes far more sense to me.

matthieuC

Yep, if halo 4 was any good, I'd be on the X1 train for sure. Since it wasn't, there isn't any reason for me to get it for Halo 5, for I can only assume I won't enjoy it.

Sizzle55

In Tasmania, Australia every store I know of have heaps of xbox one consoles even some day one editions. Ps4 not a single unit anywhere most stores not expecting any til next year!

I know five people who bought Xbox One. I know zero who have bought PS4. The same five people will probably end up buying PS4 alongside the One. This proves nothing

prag16

Banned
I don't see how MSFT can hang with Sony in worldwide sales this time. They may not be able to keep up in US/UK. They'll get curb stomped in the rest of Europe. And we know they're almost completely DoA in the far east.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Yep, if halo 4 was any good, I'd be on the X1 train for sure. Since it wasn't, there isn't any reason for me to get it for Halo 5, for I can only assume I won't enjoy it.

I have to admit... Halo 4 turned me into a former fan too. And 3 other folks I played Halo 3 and Reach with regularly.

That series is over for me now and I don't play Forza, so no desire for an X1 at the moment.

ViciousDS

Banned
In Tasmania, Australia every store I know of have heaps of xbox one consoles even some day one editions. Ps4 not a single unit anywhere most stores not expecting any til next year!

When I got my xbox one bundle from gamestop last Friday aka a week after launch, it was a day one edition available 7 days after day one lol and I'm in northern Illinois.

What is so special about Sunday?

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/12/05/ps4-stock-best-buy-sunday-morning-xbox-one/

Shoppers that are still looking for a PS4 in stock online or at a local store will want to get to Best Buy early Sunday morning as the retailer promises to have the PS4 and Xbox One in stock in limited quantities when the store opens.

The new Best Buy ad shows a PS4 in stock and an Xbox One in stock in limited quantities and our call to a local Best Buy confirms that the store will have limited quantities of the PS4 and Xbox One on Sunday December 8th. A CAG forum member shares other information about the deal.

Actually the market thinks those are the best products. Sorry.

Just because the market thinks they are the best doesn't mean they are. Your view completely ignores marketing, peer pressure, brand value, etc. Like I said, it's blinkered.

For example, people hate being different. There have been studies that show that people are more likely to recycle if everyone on their street is doing it because they don't want to be seen as different. Likewise, when looking at a Zune or an iPod (old comparison but bear with me), people are going to factor in what a muppet they are going to look like even if the Zune is the better product.

So again, the market leader isn't necessarily the better product. It's just the one that everyone is buying. You're making a correlation that isn't there.

EDIT: Just look at the issue here. Half of the problem isn't even what Microsoft is offering, but that they're fighting an uphill battle because they're seen as the big bad wolf who tried to take our used games away.

jcracken

Banned
Wrong.

MS shot themselves in the foot early. So hardcore gamers decide to "stick it to the man" and goto PS4. The softcore/casual people probably still think that Xbox One still has the DRM policies in place. They also go for the PS4 due to that. Not to mention its cheaper.

So now what you have, are a bunch of people (especially folks on the Gaf) who are trying to find any type of "evidence" that their choice was the right one. You want your purchase to be justified. You want the other console to suffer so that you dont feel as though you are missing out on anything. Its understandable.

It has nothing to do with Halo. And the stock and sales so far also have zero bearing. Threads like this are becoming the most annoying thing about neogaf lately.

Its a console war.. I get it. But some people here act like the war is already over, and those people are the ones who are trying to justify their purchase with evidence that is hardly an indicator of anything.

This^

The reason is obvious. They were reputation managing like crazy, to just get over the line until the console was on sale. Using calming words to ease the folks who had pre-orders, and hopefully convincing others that the the Xbox was a worthwhile purchase.

Everything they said said prior to the Xbone being available - all their claims, justifications and reasoning - could only be taken at face value, as the end user didn't know for sure.

But you can't put spin on facts and actual end suer experiences. So once the Xbone released, and face/offs started happening, owners started experiencing the broken UI, dodgy scaling etc, they stopped posting.

You make it seem like using the X1 results in you dying or using something like Symbian. It's not, At all. The UI isn't broken at all except for maybe the party system, the "dodgy scaling" isn't a negative thing to 90% of people (trust me, otherwise OLED would be dead out of the gate and that definitely won't be the case). Lastly, they stopped posting probably because everytime they did, people flamed them nonstop. Even on Reddit, only Major Nelson posts, and only very rarely to say things like "we're changing the party system" or to say "here's how you can fix that problem." Lastly, looking at your posting history shows that you're very critical about the Xbox One. See the first quote as to why I feel you are that way and why acting that way doesn't matter.

Salex_

What PS4 game could possibly get people into such a frenzy? Maybe Killzone and Knack are a lot better than I assumed...

Well, there are these small games called COD, BF4, NBA 2k14, Madden, NFS, AC4, etc....All of them are far better than the current gen versions and those games will sell the most regardless. Launch lineup isn't the final lineup.

Replicant

I feel like I'm going to be repeating this in all these sales threads, but really, what benefit is there for the consumer from Sony dominating?

I mean even as a PS4 owner, what is it you think that huge sales will lead to? This isn't the PS2 era -- no major publisher is going to risk putting a game exclusively on one platform unless it's given a hat made or money. The cost of development is too high. This is the generation that will take us even closer to the homogeneous in all factors.

It'd make it harder for MS to moneyhat anything.

timlot

Banned
I don't see how MSFT can hang with Sony in worldwide sales this time. They may not be able to keep up in US/UK. They'll get curb stomped in the rest of Europe. And we know they're almost completely DoA in the far east.

From a revenue stand point they don't have to. At their current price points ($399vs$499) for ever 2 million Sony sells MS needs to sell 1.6 million to generate the same revenue. Both will develop large enough install bases to assure publishers of AAA games (like GTA) that million can be sold on each platform.

Alchemy

I feel like I'm going to be repeating this in all these sales threads, but really, what benefit is there for the consumer from Sony dominating?

I mean even as a PS4 owner, what is it you think that huge sales will lead to? This isn't the PS2 era -- no major publisher is going to risk putting a game exclusively on one platform unless it's given a hat made or money. The cost of development is too high. This is the generation that will take us even closer to the homogeneous in all factors.

The benefit is that it shows competitors they made the wrong fucking choices. That we care about performance and cost, and we don't appreciate being fucked around with during console reveals that cater to a completely different crowd. We made your brand, if you don't want to cater to us we will buy the competition.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just because the market thinks they are the best doesn't mean they are. Your view completely ignores marketing, peer pressure, brand value, etc. Like I said, it's blinkered.

For example, people hate being different. There have been studies that show that people are more likely to recycle if everyone on their street is doing it because they don't want to be seen as different. Likewise, when looking at a Zune or an iPod (old comparison but bear with me), people are going to factor in what a muppet they are going to look like even if the Zune is the better product.

So again, the market leader isn't necessarily the better product. It's just the one that everyone is buying. You're making a correlation that isn't there.

EDIT: Just look at the issue here. Half of the problem isn't even what Microsoft is offering, but that they're fighting an uphill battle because they're seen as the big bad wolf who tried to take our used games away.

You are shouting into the wind and it is kind of obnoxious. It's not that apple and Samsung offer a product the vast majority of people prefer and express at the checkout aisle, it's that they are tricked, hoodwinked by marketing, and peer pressured into it.

In your opinion, the market leader is not the best product. Everyone else that made it these key leader disagrees. It's about time for you to drag Britney Spears album sales into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom