• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angela Rye absolutely sons Joe Walsh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

It isn't about changing HIS mind, it's about making sure the viewer doesn't get distracted by bullshit defenses. Even the host falls victim to it.

csrb0wfwcaephbs1.jpg

Derwind

Fuck this nonsense too. the man said that the bar was lowered for Obama because he was blac, you think he suddenly going to change his mind if we give him a warm blanket, and some tea and tell him "it is ok, we black folks are no angels but..."

Agreed, it's like some people miss the fact that Joe specified that for Obama's presidency the "bar was lowered because he was black."

The man is 55, his opinion didn't form in a vacuum, it was built up from decades of strongly held racial resentment.

Calling him a bigot isn't exactly a wild accusation.

Slayven

Agreed, it's like some people miss the fact that Joe specified that for Obama's presidency the "bar was lowered because he was black."

The man is 55, his opinion didn't form in a vacuum, it was built up from decades of strongly held racial resentment.

Calling him a bigot isn't exactly a wild accusation.

Why must we fight a war on 2 fronts? One side folks are trying to kill us and dehumanize us, and if we speak on it we have to shuck and jive with the softest of shoes. "Welp you didn't say it nicely, too bad you didn't change my mind about niggers looking like apes and should be shot in the streets. Come back when you ready to tickle some balls, then we can talk,"

Ok? And how to do you change the minds of the white moderate? We all know that the white moderate has a problem with race issues. This isn't new. What do we do to change that?

Stop worrying about what they think about us, and continuing fighting for justice. Respectability politics is a losing strategy.

RootCause

A low bar for Obama? Did the guy just wake up?
Trump's bar was so low, all he had to do was restrain himself from mocking his opponents. "So presidential" 🙄

Edit
Just saw the interview. Speechless.🤦

Ok? And how to do you change the minds of the white moderate? We all know that the white moderate has a problem with race issues. This isn't new. What do we do to change that?

You can't. You can have black people murdered by the dozens, and the white moderate won't give a shit.

Cyframe

Uh, no one is coddling racists here. Fuck outta here with that. I'm saying that in order to rob them of their weak ass "don't call me a racist" defense, which is used to influence and distract viewers from the fact it was indeed a racist statement, single out the comment as racist. The audience who's watching probably doesn't know shit about Joe and what all he has said and done. She was accurate in calling him a bigot, but the viewer doesn't have enough receipts to agree wholeheartedly with the accusation and thus become sympathetic to him.

Having dealt with my fair share of bullshit, I've gone from doing the former to the latter, and it's been very effective. I wasn't calling "them" a racist, but what they said. With that defense no longer being in play, they had to confront it and answer for what they said. I knew from the moment she called him a bigot it that he was going to take that and use it to distract and it's exactly what he did. It's pathetic and embarrassing that they have to be treated like children, but in my experience, it's been effective.

The fact is, until White America can collectively pull their heads outta their ass and actually discuss the issue of race openly and honestly, we as POC have to be calculated in our approach if we're going to engage. It ridiculous and it shouldn't be that way, but here we are.

And for the record, I absolutely love Angela Rye and she had an amazing presence of mind here.

This. So many White people shut down as soon as you call them racist. Judge the act and hold them accountable for what they did or said that was racist, and not the the person and call them a racist that devolves into us speculating who they are as a person and distracts from from us holding them accountable for what they said or did.

First, you can't reason with Walsh. Just view 10 tweets and you'll see, no matter how Angela would have responded, he would have reacted like a petulant child.

I have to disagree in most part with both of this quoted posts. In my experience, white people(teens and kids) took advantage of my civility and honed in on the statements that I made in order to exhaust me and torment me further with racial abuse. Me saying "that came across as offensive", allowed them to distance themselves from what they said and did, no accountability, no change, and I was worse off because of it.

Angela Rye certainly knows how to navigate her way around a conversation regarding race and she has had conversations with very nasty individuals, not named Walsh. The thing here is that he purposefully disrespected her, and she had every right to respond that way.

It's not her responsibility if white people take it a certain way. I don't want to put any words into either of what you say, but it is slightly reminiscent of respectability politics. The onus is all on US to approach things differently when it should be the other way around

Martin Luther King Jr. was hated and called a hater monger and a person who created violence despite being the pinnacle of peaceful activism. They hated him even though he had that approach.

If you want to approach situations with bigots like Walsh, utilize your autonomy to do that. But when I and others have experiences where a different approach didn't work, hinting that we should still do it, is not something I'm going to do.

Granted, I am not able to express myself in the same manner Angela does, but if I encounter someone like Walsh, I'm going to be 100% with Angela, calling him a racist and bigot.

Even if you don't call a white person a racist or bigot, if they feel a certain way, they'll view your comments as if you called them racist and say you're accusatory...so...it's a loss.

For me, I think you have some conversations with diet racists, but for most, it's not something I'm going to waste my time with.

I mean look at the rational email she got

jykFNP9.png

Hopefully she wrote him back with cool calm dialog that was respectful of his feelings, last thing we want to do is make him uncomfortable on the conversation of race. If she doesn't respect his view/opinion and try to see it from his point of view we'll never get anywhere!

Cyframe

But that the way he did it made people uncomfortable! He has to protest the right way! And his interviews were too uppity

Right!?

Bo Bice got a fast food worker suspended because they said: That white boy over there when calling out his order for pickup. He got national attention and cried on TV because a worker forgot his name. That's absurd. And the worker who was Black shouldn't have been punished for that.

And I bring up that specific and very recent and example because if a white person wants to feel a certain way and wants to paint an encounter as racist, they will.

So this whole, take a different approach and don't call people racist is hollow. I can understand how other Black and other PoC want handle things in their own life, but I definitely don't want to hear "don't call them racist" from white people, because as a Black person, I have to utilize specific tactics because the majority of spaces I'm in are predominately white. But, if I'm dealing with someone like Walsh, I'm not going to hold anything back (if I'm not going to get fired or my life is put in danger anyway).

Joe Walsh is a racist piece of shit.

And lol at people "I can't understand these strange slang terms!" I'm white, never heard son used as a verb, but was able to immediately determine what it meant by context clues. You know those things you learn about in grade school English.

Derwind

This is a pointless way of thinking, these are grown ass men and women. What exactly do you think can be said that hasn't already?

"Hey guys, here me out, what I'm about to say might be a little hard to hear but let this sink in.... ready?... please treat our problems as human problems and our lives as human lives...

You still there?"

Who are we really trying to convince? Ourselves?

The US specifically but this applies to the West at large as well but it's never really shed this baggage yet, specifically because of the refusal to properly address it.

andycapps

Fuck this nonsense too. the man said that the bar was lowered for Obama because he was blac, you think he suddenly going to change his mind if we give him a warm blanket, and some tea and tell him "it is ok, we black folks are no angels but..."
He is a racist. He's not going to change his mind no matter what you say, but if you call him a racist he's going to turn the conversation to him instead of the shit he was spewing about how Obama was held to a lower standard because he was black, etc.

It is funny reading people acting like they dont know what "sonning". It's not regular word in my vocabulary but I def knew what it means. If not, Google isn't far away.

Why does anyone have to change the minds of the white moderate? Why do they matter? Are these people legislators and elected representatives? This is like saying you have to get the approval of Twitter to change anything.

Right!?

Bo Bice got a fast food worker suspended because they said: That white boy over there when calling out his order for pickup. He got national attention and cried on TV because a worker forgot his name. That's absurd. And the worker who was Black shouldn't have been punished for that.

And I bring up that specific and very recent and example because if a white person wants to feel a certain way and wants to paint an encounter as racist, they will.

So this whole, take a different approach and don't call people racist is hollow. I can understand how other Black and other PoC want handle things in their own life, but I definitely don't want to hear "don't call them racist" from white people, because as a Black person, I have to utilize specific tactics because the majority of spaces I'm in are predominately white. But, if I'm dealing with someone like Walsh, I'm not going to hold anything back (if I'm not going to get fired or my life is put in danger anyway).

I forgot about that Bo Brice thing, the best part is him saying "shame on you America".

Joe Walsh is a racist piece of shit.

And lol at people "I can't understand these strange slang terms!" I'm white, never heard son used as a verb, but was able to immediately determine what it meant by context clues. You know those things you learn about in grade school English.

Thank you

Manbig

they should be happy we explain these terms instead of just letting them look shit up on urbandictionary and be wrong for the rest of their lives.

Exactly. It's especially obnoxious when someone clearly explained earlier in this thread what the word is and even one of the areas it was more popular in (New York City) and they still feel the need to come in with a bunch of smart ass nonsense.

FFS people, you don't even need to look it up. It should be pretty damn obvious what it means in the context of this video.

Exactly. It's especially obnoxious when someone clearly explained earlier in this thread what the word is and even one of the areas it was more popular in (New York City) and they still feel the need to come in with a bunch of smart ass nonsense.

FFS people, you don't even need to look it up. It should be pretty damn obvious what it means in the context of this video.

Many people absolutely love not knowing things and love to brag about not being able to utilize basic skills to figure them out. It's like a badge of honor to be as clueless as possible. I would say it's internet culture but the phenomenon has been around for a while.

rjinaz

Don't do this.

Nah that racist totally deserves it.

That said, there is no need, it's already been done by now.

I remember that one white supremacist that's popular on twitter, shared his email when he was showing he was boycotting something then moments later he had like 7000 emails.

Edit found it:

C4LD5ogWYAchPWI.jpg

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Jesus fucking Christ, that video. Angela is fucking amazing. Love her. Walsh can go suck a dick and die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom