• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe gets called out by IGNs review editor for misquoting their Titanfall review

LX_Theo

Banned
This deserves a quote because it is all up in the subtext of this Twitter fight.

You do realize that IGN gets views and such from a lot more than youtube, too? Just saying, but people really need to think threw this whole attempt to "catch" IGN in something before they make themselves look stupid.

*golf claps* It's amazing how people who want Joe to act mature resort to name calling when they think they can get away with it. I hate hypocrites.

*Facepalm*

Wow, because I'm totally a content creator who cares about being taken seriously or what other people think about him.

unbias

Oh, goodness. Its literally just a range of numbers that a reviewer picks to represent these opinions. Great, but not quite amazing. Good, but not quite mediocre. They aren't really quantifying it, they are putting it in a range of numbers that the rating system describes where they feel it falls. Where it falls into those 3 or 4 different ranges in each set of 10 numbers (like 80-89) is up to the reviewer, sure. But the point of having the 0.1 scale is to have those various ranges rather than one or two options to choose for representing their opinion. You could probably do the same thing with a 0.25 scale, but its probably just simpler for them to do the 0.1 scale.

So yes, it makes sense. Is it some hard science? No. Does it have its flaws? Yeah. So does every rating system.

That would only make sense if they regularly used the full scale numbering that they already have. The sligh differences in ranges are not helpful, you can defend them if you want but they dont serve a purpose to the reader, unless the points are added up as the review is written. There is no way you can accurately articulate the actual difference between a 8.6 and a 8.7, beyond just saying .7 is closer to 1. Getting angry because someone considers an 8.9 a 9 is ridiculous because unless you are an avid follower of one particular reviewer you cant possibly understand the difference between small fractional differences.

jediyoshi

*Edit Two, Son of Edit One!*
This should be added to OP, missed it in Joe's Post.
nyDugib.jpg

This is only a slightly shittier comparison than analyzing Mario Kart and Portal sales together. One has their content solely on YouTube, the other has their own website that also locally hosts theirs.

You do realize that IGN gets views and such from a lot more than youtube, too? Just saying, but people really need to think threw this whole attempt to "catch" IGN in something before they make themselves look stupid.

It's a surprisingly apt countpoint to Dan's beyond ridiclous argument that IGN's YouTube is bigger, as if it were representative of anything, beyond his inability to make a coherent argument

wildfire

Banned
Why did I read all that

Why did this forum write 1100 posts on this? This on the surface doesn't seem to be worth as much attention as the Adam Orth incident but it certainly touched various nerves. I guess we care a lot about the integrity of our sources for information.

I played Titanfall. I would rate it a solid 8.9744392 out of 10. It's not wondrous, stupendous, and exhilarating the in way an 8.9744293 game might be, but it is wondrous, stupendous, and exciting in the way an 8.9744292 game should be.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.

I don't even have the patience to read all the "attempts" in this thread.

Angry Joe presented a PR problem for IGN before this Twitter fight and thread, pure and simple. Now it's just worse. I don't look for conspiracy truths behind PR problems. Truth is subjective, it's the fact that a YouTube personality presents a PR problem for a games journalism outlet that fascinates me.

LX_Theo

Banned
It's a surprisingly apt countpoint to Dan's beyond ridiclous argument that IGN's YouTube is bigger, as if it were representative of anything, beyond his inability to make a coherent argument

Its just a ridiculous thing that people feel the need for there to be a counterpoint period, is more of what I'm saying. Especially one that works more specifically on what he said rather than the idea behind it.

That would only make sense if they regularly used the full scale numbering that they already have. The sligh differences in ranges are not helpful, you can defend them if you want but they dont serve a purpose to the reader, unless the points are added up as the review is written. There is no way you can accurately articulate the actual difference between a 8.6 and a 8.7, beyond just saying .7 is closer to 1. Getting angry because someone considers an 8.9 a 9 is ridiculous because unless you are an avid follower of one particular reviewer you cant possibly understand the difference between small fractional differences.

It takes next to no logical leaps to see the difference between mid 80s, low 80s, high 80s, and low 90s. I really feel as though you are grasping way to much here to make it not make sense.

It was a misquote, he did make a mistake and he really just should have said 'sorry bro' instead of arguing about it. Oh well, internets. Watcha gonna do.

LegoArmo

I don't think he was attacking anyone in particular, he was just making a general point that a lot of games media-outlets hyped the game up to oblivion before release, and on release, failed to mention any issues, and slapped very high scores on it.

Semantics. No reason to argue though, just apologise and move on, or ignore it.

DocSeuss

I just think it is an incredible cop out to spend weeks (or maybe months) hyping a game, including a hyperbolic preview that makes such over the top statements, and then have the "out" of saying "ya but we gave it an 8.9! A good score but hardly something bought and paid for!"

Fuck off with that bullshit. They'd have a little more ground to argue if it were at least different people writing the preview and review in question, but if I remember right, Ryan McCaffrey wrote both.

Hey, do you like Dark Souls? For the sake of argument, let's pretend you do. Dark Souls II has looked pretty cool, right? If you were previewing, maybe you'd be excited. Maybe you played it and thought it was worth the hype Dark Souls II gets. Eventually, you get to review it. It's still as cool as it was when you previewed it--but there are some problems, so you can't give it a 9+.

You want to, but you give it an 8.9 instead. Then someone comes along and whines about how you praised it and eventually gave it a 9. AAAAAnd you didn't. Sure, mathematically, the numbers are close, but your scale doesn't work exactly like that.

What's wrong with that situation? Literally nothing.

The only way I can see you getting upset at this is if you don't think that someone's subjective opinion of a game is accurate.

Yes, he probably should have quoted the review and not the preview, but the effect would have been the same

THIS. LITERALLY. DOESN'T. MATTER.

That isnt how it works in the world. He is in demand, what he is in demand for is what his obligations should be. What he did didnt hurt the consumers or his fans, at worst what he did is start shit with IGN. The "misrepresentation" was minor at best.

Uh, yes... yes it is. This is literally what my educational background is in. I know what I'm talking about here.

You act like it's okay for him to have a beef with IGN, and it wouldn't be okay if it was for the consumers and fans. Sorry, no. Misrepresenting a publication is bad, period. Just because it's SUPPOSEDLY not somehow consumers or fans (and fans literally do not matter) being harmed doesn't mean it's okay. And you know what? Misrepresenting a publication is bad. Telling people "hey, don't listen to those people, because they did something they didn't do" hurts consumers. So yeah. His actions are bad.

These are hyperbolic claims, especially for a preview and a review, the latter which "crticizes" the main complaint against the game, no single player, by handwaving away it's multiplayer "substitute" in the full game.

Hyperbole is a statement not intended to be taken literally. "Believe the hype" is a valid, subjective statement. For instance, I'd be happy to say this about Titanfall, because it really is the most remarkable multiplayer game we've had in years. Maybe you don't think it was, but no one's protecting anyone by acting like high scores and excited previews are a bad thing.

It's not as if Titanfall gives people cancer or something. The game is everything it claims to be. Decrying the scores and response it receives boils down to personal opinion, not consumer advocacy.

Who are you talking about? Joe loved Xbox until they fucked up and lied to his face personally, and he still mainly uses their system, but now he's being counter culture? Titanfall is a game that I am still getting emails about in regards to their E3 awards.

Joe's popularity has been grounded in part due to his anti-establishment stance, usually towards sites like IGN.

And once again you are back to talking about yourself which Joe is not worried about. He is directly challenging publishers for the uninformed and those without the power to do it.

Except that his audience isn't the uninformed, it's gamers. The old ladies buying Titanfall for their grandkids aren't watching this show, and Joe acting as if the high scores this game received isn't valid is just plain silly.

You and Dan are hinging on a small technicality to conflate and confuse the larger issue. The fact that Dan pulled youtube stats to try to belittle Joe shows his actual mentality behind the whole attack.

It's not a small technicality, it's literally the groundwork for all basic good journalism. Cite your sources. Joe screwed up his sources. That's a huge problem.

I'm not saying it's a valid defence, just that Joe's tweets make Joe look bad, while Dan's make IGN look bad.

Joe made a mistake, but Dan should have contacted Joe directly (and not publicly) clearly explaining the mistake (about the preview/review clarification, not the score part).

From the sound of things, Dan did in fact contact Joe before.

Dan reached out publicly because Joe did not correct himself in a timely manner. That's not a mistake, that's wilful.

They're both wrong for acting like asses, Joe's just worse for screwing up a basic journalistic tenet of "CITE YOUR SOURCES."

Since numbers are being used their inherent value, and thereby the length one has travel from one value to the next, are being perceived as the basis for difference.

In this case the difference between 8.9 and 9 is being perceived as abysmal by many reading the values. Of course they get to define their scale, but they should be prepared that it is the consumer that assigns the weight to each number.

Yeah, the review system is a bit dumb. But people focusing on the review scores are missing the bigger point, which is what set Dan off, which is misquotes.

BPoole

The fact that Angry Joe doesn't specifically state that it is IGN makes this not as big of a deal.

I also just want to say that this is literally the most disgusting piece of gaemz gurnylism I have ever read:
IGN deserves every bit of criticism that they get if they are willing to publish such hyperbolic trash onto their website.

unbias

Its just a ridiculous thing that people feel the need for there to be a counterpoint period, is more of what I'm saying. Especially one that works more specifically on what he said rather than the idea behind it.

It takes next to no logical leaps to see the difference between mid 80s, low 80s, high 80s, and low 90s. I really feel as though you are grasping way to much here to make it not make sense.

Huh? That would still be seen in a fractional difference, when you actually break it down. Explaining the difference between an 87 and an 86 would be no more possible, again unless it was actually math deciding the scores. It just isnt helpful in regards to the inherent difference between numbers and words. Scoring systems in general I have a problem with for things like this, but the more complicated(bigger) they get, the less helpful they become.

DocSeuss

The fact that Angry Joe doesn't specifically state that it is IGN makes this not as big of a deal.

I also just want to say that this is literally the most disgusting piece of gaemz gurnylism I have ever read:

IGN deserves every bit of criticism that they get if they are willing to publish such hyperbolic trash onto their website.

I am literally annoyed at someone on the internet. So I'ma step away from this thread for a while, but before I do:

Showing a picture of something while talking about something ELSE that is bad is just as bad as specifically stating it, because the audience reaction is the same. Actually, the audience reaction can be much more strong when it isn't explicitly stated, because it forms an unconscious connection, rather than a conscious one that can be rationally thought through.

How do you not understand a concept this simple?

Valnen

I am literally annoyed at someone on the internet. So I'ma step away from this thread for a while, but before I do:

Showing a picture of something while talking about something ELSE that is bad is just as bad as specifically stating it, because the audience reaction is the same. Actually, the audience reaction can be much more strong when it isn't explicitly stated, because it forms an unconscious connection, rather than a conscious one that can be rationally thought through.

How do you not understand a concept this simple?

It's funny you think a guy on youtube needs to be held to stricter standards than someone who works at a huge company.

Those tweets make Joe look like the immature child he is.

It's funny you think a guy on youtube needs to be held to stricter standards than someone who works at a huge company.

Why is that funny? Stop pretending that this isn't the 21st century and that the lines between big gaming journo entity and regular person haven't been blurred. No, as a non-professional Joe really has no standards to meet. But if he wants to be part of the conversation and have a presence in the gaming community then he'll have to put on his big boy pants like everybody else and be held personally accountable by people.

DocSeuss

Not stricter. If the guy at IGN conflated Joe's words with, say, Yahtzee's, I'd do the same thing.

I don't care about the childishness. I care about the inappropriate citing.

LX_Theo

Banned
Huh? That would still be seen in a fractional difference, when you actually break it down. Explaining the difference between an 87 and an 86 would be no more possible, again unless it was actually math deciding the scores. It just isnt helpful in regards to the inherent difference between numbers and words. Scoring systems in general I have a problem with for things like this, but the more complicated(bigger) they get, the less helpful they become.

You're just ignoring the entire point now. The 0.1 part isn't the point. Its the ranges they fall into. The 0.1 is probably just simpler for IGN to use than a system like a 0.25 scale or something else of the sort. 8.9 is simply in that high 80s range. Thats the entire point.

antitrop

Finally? That wasn't posted that long after the quoted post...
That image has been posted since the first few pages of the entire thread, it was just repeated again.

I'm as much at fault for not calling it out as anyone else, though. But it's completely ridiculous that some just think IGN is "all jelly", because Angry Joe's YT video has more views than theirs, when they host their content on their own site.

meanspartan

People need to quit defending on the technicality of "but it was a preview!"

When your preview speaks in "Definitives" and is that sure of itself, then it CAN be taken to be at least close to a review, especially when the SAME PERSON wrote both.

Re-read that preview excerpt. Tell me, was there any chance the person who wrote that was going to give the game any sort of mediocre or worse score? Hell, 8.9 seems kind of surprisingly low, as if they were trying to defend against criticisms for overhyping and then overrating the game.

Kind of like they did with their week long orgy for GTA V, climaxing with the 10 they gave it.

Joe was wrong to start the namecalling, he was right with just about everything else.

Suprised to see IGN take action over Joe fearing for their reputation. I thought major outlets tend to look at youtbe people over their shoulders. If at all.

That's why I find fascinating about this. Angry Joe has stated multiple times that he isn't a journalist but someone who is well known on YouTube. For IGN to respond to a YouTube video that isn't an official publication is pretty big...and funny....and pathetic on IGNs part.

I think the major issue here is that someone's work was called into question about a review during a review.

The only way i can see that or interpret that as self serving nonsense, filled with bias for the sole purpose of furthering AJ viewpoint/opinion of the game under the guise of "fighting for you".

Not only that, it undermines his own review, rendering it mute. How can he criticise other people's opinions when he himself is discussing his opinion!! Any reviewer has the right to call a game great, or fun, or bad, or perfect

like its said in other posts its all subjective

unbias

Uh, yes... yes it is. This is literally what my educational background is in. I know what I'm talking about here.

You act like it's okay for him to have a beef with IGN, and it wouldn't be okay if it was for the consumers and fans. Sorry, no. Misrepresenting a publication is bad, period. Just because it's SUPPOSEDLY not somehow consumers or fans (and fans literally do not matter) being harmed doesn't mean it's okay. And you know what? Misrepresenting a publication is bad. Telling people "hey, don't listen to those people, because they did something they didn't do" hurts consumers. So yeah. His actions are bad.

Umm, what? His "misrepresentation" was saying "believe the hype" then going on to talk about reviews, however the same guy who did the review did the preview, and in that sense made sense if he was questioning motives(wasn't exactly professional, but that is what I got out of what he did). And again, I wouldn't say his critique of the lack of criticism of the campaign was in fact erroneous, just his opinion on the lack of what was actually in the piece. And he said, "dont listen to those people because they didnt do something they should have done", that difference is one I agree with if he thinks the campaign should have been talked about more.

If a game is good but not great it'll probably receive around a 7 flat. If it's almost but not quite great it might be a 7.8.

I don't speak for any other critics (or for Dan), but I can tell you that the guideline is not to think about a review in a numerical sense. Instead the number is meant to communicate whether a game is bad/good/great, and the decimal place gives people (who want it) a little more fine-grain detail.

I think the problem most people have with IGN's review score system is that the level of detail this provides for is silly. "If it's almost but not quite great it might be a 7.8." Okay, but why not a 7.7? Why not a 7.9? This superfine level of detail does not actually contain any real meaning.

If you reduce this insane scale that allows for 101 different possible evaluations of a game to something simpler, you give it greater meaning. You won't have to explain your convoluted scale to people as often. For example, if a game is "just" good, give it a 7. If it's very good, but not quite great, give it a 7.5. If it's great, give it an 8. And so on. Roger Ebert was an acclaimed and successful film critic not just for his excellent writing, but because he used a 9-point scale (0, 0.5, 1, ..., 4) that was easy to understand and immediately intuitive to readers. The idea that any outlet would feel the need to use a 101-point scale is equal parts baffling and incomprehensible to me.

Trying to shoehorn in 10 degrees of "goodness" is ridiculous, and it's part of why I personally can't take IGN's game critiquing seriously when it comes to the review score. You claim review scores aren't math, but your site injects fuzzy math into what would otherwise be a straightforward labeling system. You can't use the most numerically complex and diverse scoring scale out there and then fall back on "review scores aren't math" when people wonder what the hell is the actual difference between an 8.8/8.9 or a 8.9/9.

Labeling each score with a clear and visible associated word is a good approach. Good on IGN for that. But you should lose the insanely overpopulated scale your site clings to. I can't believe anybody knows what makes a 5.3 different from a 5.2, and that includes the person assigning the score.

DocSeuss

People need to quit defending on the technicality of "but it was a preview!"

When your preview speaks in "Definitives" and is that sure of itself, then it CAN be taken to be at least close to a review, especially when the SAME PERSON wrote both.

Re-read that preview excerpt. Tell me, was there any chance the person who wrote that was going to give the game any sort of mediocre or worse score? Hell, 8.9 seems kind of surprisingly low, as if they were trying to defend against criticisms for overhyping and then overrating the game.

Kind of like they did with their week long orgy for GTA V, climaxing with the 10 they gave it.

Joe was wrong to start the namecalling, he was right with just about everything else.

So are you saying it's not okay for a good game to get good press and a good score?

What exactly are you asking for people to change here? What's wrong?

A great game has a metascore of like 86 on metacritic, and a lot of people really like it. Where's the problem? Most gaffers would lose their minds if a site had nothing but positive press for, say, Dark Souls II, then reviewed it low. They'd start calling foul, saying the score was just to get hits, and all sorts of other stuff. It makes way more sense that a game that looks good in previews ends up getting a good review score. 'cause, um, well... it's good.

Umm, what? His "misrepresentation" was saying "believe the hype" then going on to talk about reviews, however the same guy who did the review did the preview, and in that sense made sense if he was questioning motives(wasn't exactly professional, but that is what I got out of what he did). And again, I wouldn't say his critique of the lack of criticism of the campaign was in fact erroneous, just his opinion on the lack of what was actually in the piece. And he said, "dont listen to those people because they didnt do something they should have done", that difference is one I agree with if he thinks the campaign should have been talked about more.

If I were reviewing the game, literally all I would need to say is "the game has a campaign mode, which is just the multiplayer modes, in a particular order, with some extra dialog. It's not really the point of the game, and it's pretty forgettable." There's just not a whole lot the guys at IGN needed to say.

unbias

You're just ignoring the entire point now. The 0.1 part isn't the point. Its the ranges they fall into. The 0.1 is probably just simpler for IGN to use than a system like a 0.25 scale or something else of the sort. 8.9 is simply in that high 80s range. Thats the entire point.

Yes, and the range is the problem, because the difference in that ranges between 81-84 and 85-89 is incredibly unhelpful unless you add numbers in the review and/or if you could articulate the difference between the reasoning behind it getting an 8.9 instead of a 8.7. Give the score and then just explain why it didnt get a 9 and instead got an 8(you can explain in words the short comings or what exactly it was missing to get a 8 instead of 9) but the differences of an 8.6 and a 8.7 from game to game does nothing but confuse the value of the numbering system. If they are afraid that people dont read the reasoning behind their scores, then dont use them, and if you think you need them to be successful, make the scoring system as pointless as possible(I guess you could argue IGN is doing that, but they dont act like that is what they are doing).

DeaviL

Banned
An 8.9 is what you give when you're trying to give a high score while trying to act like you aren't doing exactly that.
It's like selling a 199.99$ tv. It's 200$, it just doesn't feel like 200$

hehe

meanspartan

So are you saying it's not okay for a good game to get good press and a good score?

What exactly are you asking for people to change here? What's wrong?

A great game has a metascore of like 86 on metacritic, and a lot of people really like it. Where's the problem? Most gaffers would lose their minds if a site had nothing but positive press for, say, Dark Souls II, then reviewed it low. They'd start calling foul, saying the score was just to get hits, and all sorts of other stuff. It makes way more sense that a game that looks good in previews ends up getting a good review score. 'cause, um, well... it's good.

I am saying it is disingenuous for Stapleton's whole point to be "what you quoted was a preview!!!!!" when the preview in question was THAT hyperbolic and written by the same person who did the review. If they had even added in some uncertainty, i.e. "This game COULD be the next evolution in fps games, we'll see if extended play was as good as my preview session" it'd be different.

And then the whole .1 thing is just kind of ludicrous. So if Joe had said "8.9 or higher", Stapleton woulda been cool with it then? Come on. I have no idea why IGN feels the need to pick a fight with a niche Youtube personality. A sizable niche to be sure considering he often gets to a million views on his videos, but it is still odd.

unbias

If I were reviewing the game, literally all I would need to say is "the game has a campaign mode, which is just the multiplayer modes, in a particular order, with some extra dialog. It's not really the point of the game, and it's pretty forgettable." There's just not a whole lot the guys at IGN needed to say.

If that is what was actually said, I doubt Joe would have picked up on it(well not letting Ryan act the way he did with the hype, would have prevented this). That isnt what was said, and the campaign was mentioned in a way that made it impossible to understand what exactly made it forgettable. What you said made it understandable.

Gears of War 2's story was pretty forgettable and then titanfalls story was pretty forgettable... While both statements are true both are true for very different reasons. That should matter in a review when it comes to informing people.

Atrophis

I played Titanfall. I would rate it a solid 8.9744392 out of 10. It's not wondrous, stupendous, and exhilarating the in way an 8.9744293 game might be, but it is wondrous, stupendous, and exciting in the way an 8.9744292 game should be.

I think your review scale is wonderful. Really offers the kind of granularity that games criticism deserves. After all games are just that much more important, deep and harder to quantify than all other forms of entertainment.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Got one simple question:-

Why now? isn't it like a month later? Why not take it with Joe (in a less public way) when the review went up?
If it's like anywhere else in corporate America, it went through 13 managers and a lawyer before anyone decided to respond.

That Angry Joe guy has no manners, at least reply back in a professional manner. He tells him to grow up then resorts to name calling.
Joe Vargas isn't a professional. He's just a guy in Austin with a monetized YouTube channel. I don't know what he does as his real job, but I'm gonna presume YouTube is not his only livelihood. It's not intended as an insult to Joe, it's just the fact of the part of the business that he's in.

Dan Stapleton, however, is a professional. He works for Ziff-Davis Media, which is an actual job. Burden really is on Dan in the exchange because, by all rights, Dan is the one with an actual reputation in his business, and he probably shouldn't be engaging these guys in a pissing contest, because it's not going to accomplish anything but pissing on his own shoes.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
One of these two argument participants should make big stinky video rant about it.

I think the major issue here is that someone's work was called into question about a review during a review.

The only way i can see that or interpret that as self serving nonsense, filled with bias for the sole purpose of furthering AJ viewpoint/opinion of the game under the guise of "fighting for you".

Not only that, it undermines his own review, rendering it mute. How can he criticise other people's opinions when he himself is discussing his opinion!! Any reviewer has the right to call a game great, or fun, or bad, or perfect

like its said in other posts its all subjective

If you think your viewpoint is contrary to the norm you can certainly demonstrate how it is contrarian and site examples.

If the IGN reviewer says he isn't gushing over the game because he gave it an 8.9 instead of a 9... well IGN should probably fix their scoring system....

Top Bottom