• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

dickroach

As for Mike... that was a stupid rumor that got out of hand with zero evidence. Also, how does having a big dick effect the videos? That's insanely idiotic.

he replied to a youtube comment a couple weeks back and confirmed it
or played along with the joke. whatever.

I don;t quite understand the popularity that this game is having right now. There's a lot of different youtube channels that are making a big deal out of this game.
It's got a massive learning curve, but once you master it the game is amazing for diehard Godzilla fans .

Though I will agree that the lack of local multiplayer is really disappointing and I wouldn't have bought this game on launch if I didn't have GamerClub Unlocked and a $10 certificate.

Also, link to those channels? I need some new people outside of the COD and BF monkeys.

tell_me_more.jpg

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Asalieri got noticed with his "Reviewing a Reviewer" series, where he did caustic "reviews" of notable bad reviewers like the Irate Gamer and Game Dude.
Overtime though, he changed his MO to just bash everyone and that anyone who makes internet reviews for monetary gain are "evil".
When the AVGN movie entered production, Asa made a video claiming that James "pocketed the money". His evidence? The movie's IMDB page. When people called this out as bullshit, he claimed he did have real evidence and he would present it. He never did (because it didn't exist).
Things got worse. When one of his friends started to see that he was being a total asshole, he broke it off. Asa resorted to stalking and threatening phone calls.

Even on /v/ his name is toxic. Yeah.

WillyFive

It's cool to see them play new games, just to see a fresh look on how far removed today's games are from old ones. The look on His face when he realized p the game had no multiplayer and he was instead getting an online match; it's ridiculous how few games have local play nowadays considering that with the advent of widescreen and HDTVs there has never been a better possible time for them.

shanafan

It's cool to see them play new games, just to see a fresh look on how far removed today's games are from old ones. The look on His face when he realized p the game had no multiplayer and he was instead getting an online match; it's ridiculous how few games have local play nowadays considering that with the advent of widescreen and HDTVs there has never been a better possible time for them.

I was more amazed how Mike breezed over the text indicating that the VS Mode was online only, and then Mike and James had a discussion over PS Plus being a requirement for couch co-op games. And then James was pressing random buttons and thought he entered the lobby to play against Mike, but it was an online player instead.

They seemed so out of it. Almost surprised that they didn't call the PS4 "the Nintendo" after awhile, lol.

I feel like his output has really slowed down since the movie. The writing isn't as sharp as it used to be either. The "James & Mike Mondays" are fun, but honestly it's something any Youtuber could do.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Could've sworn local co-op was a phrase coined back when Xbox Live was becoming a thing with the original Xbox, & then became more popular once the PS360 era was starting.

I mean, he's still technically right on the fact a game that has no local yet has online multiplayer is rather silly, but reading comments like the ones on here are kind of why I stick with watching them play order games rather than current-gen stuff.

Lothar

Banned
I think they should really stick to 6th gen and earlier titles. That's what James and Mike know best (they played GameCube in college a lot).

It's a shame that unlike the typical nerd their age, they weren't too into the Nintendo64 and Playstation. It could have reinvigorated AVGN if he had some nostalgia for Playstation, as I do. The shitty games from that era beg for a ripping apart.

Every gamer I know who was a kid for the NES is incredibly nostalgic and passionate for the PS1/N64 because that came out when we were in our teens, but they seem to know and care little about them.

I'm the same way as them for new consoles. I had a PS4 for a year, this is the first time I'm learning about PS Plus. They make you pay for online now? I don't have any interest in online multiplay so I would never look into that. If I'm going to play a game with someone, I want it to be with friends not strangers, and if I'm going to play it with friends, I want them at my house.

Mikey Jr.

Jesus it's simply amazing how out of touch they are with the current systems. How does one own a PS4 and not know that online multiplayer you need playstation plus, know what plus even is after owning the console for how long? and not even knowing they are playing online.

Yeah, I notice that on all their current gen videos.

They just seem in general pretty clueless, despite being surrounded by videogames.

If I didn't know who they were, I would say they were casuals.

edit: James thinking that he had entered the versus mode when an online match had started looking for players.

A poster here was right. They really should stick to PS2 and under. Its what they know best.

Asalieri got noticed with his "Reviewing a Reviewer" series, where he did caustic "reviews" of notable bad reviewers like the Irate Gamer and Game Dude.
Overtime though, he changed his MO to just bash everyone and that anyone who makes internet reviews for monetary gain are "evil".
When the AVGN movie entered production, Asa made a video claiming that James "pocketed the money". His evidence? The movie's IMDB page. When people called this out as bullshit, he claimed he did have real evidence and he would present it. He never did (because it didn't exist).
Things got worse. When one of his friends started to see that he was being a total asshole, he broke it off. Asa resorted to stalking and threatening phone calls.

Even on /v/ his name is toxic. Yeah.

Sounds like quite a guy.

On topic, James has done AVGN episodes on some PS1 games, I definitely remember Independence Day for one. Not sure about N64, though.

I wish he'd cover that period more, though. So many shitty games. He wouldn't even have to have played them when he was young as the really shitty ones are pretty notorious (Superman 64, Carmageddon etc).

Mikey Jr.

Yea, it was hilarious and sobering to watch Mike and James come to grips with that. Playing against someone sitting next to you was such a huge part of the games they and many of us grew up with, and their bewilderment seemed genuine.

Yeah, when James thought an online player being matched with them was actually him joining the match, it kinda just showed how far removed they are from modern consoles.

Old men yelling at clouds lol. Love James, never was a Mike fan... But everyone they do new Gen games it's frustrating on both accounts. Mike needs to understand how to use his consoles smh. Yelling and cursing because thing doesn't do what thing did 10-15 years ago is kinda stale...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Sounds like quite a guy.

On topic, James has done AVGN episodes on some PS1 games, I definitely remember Independence Day for one. Not sure about N64, though.

I wish he'd cover that period more, though. So many shitty games. He wouldn't even have to have played them when he was young as the really shitty ones are pretty notorious (Superman 64, Carmageddon etc).
He did Superman 64 at one point. & as someone pointed out, Castlevania 64......but that's it.

There was that one PS1 game during the 12 Days reviews. It that that V.I.P. with Pamela Anderson game, plus he did Bubsy 3D in that Wish List Part 2.

........but yeah, 2 N64 games and 3 PS1 games, one of which was part of a review featuring multiple games.

Edit: I wouldn't really count it because it was more of a brief mention than an actual review, but he did talk about Shadows of the Empire in his Star Wars episode about how they started doing original stories instead of sticking to the movies.

They did a 3 part James and Mike Mondays about Shadows Of The Empire, too. I can't remember if that was their first time playing it or not. I think they actually liked it if Irecall correctly. Man, that game was dogshit apart from the opening Hoth level. The 3rd person and Speeder bike controls :/

Yea, it was hilarious and sobering to watch Mike and James come to grips with that. Playing against someone sitting next to you was such a huge part of the games they and many of us grew up with, and their bewilderment seemed genuine.

Yeah, but thinking every game (good or bad) that we played as kids had co-op at all is some seriously rose tinted glasses. If you were Mike, you could have just as easily picked up a game at a store in the 80's or 90's, assumed that it was 2 players and erroneously invited your friend over to play it with you. Only difference now is that Mike can also go:

tumblr_m81ldjV4cs1r6o36mo1_500.gif

That said, it'd be cool if I could filter by local multiplayer on PSN:

CKaVGBNUMAADIjV.jpg:large

They did a 3 part James and Mike Mondays about Shadows Of The Empire, too. I can't remember if that was their first time playing it or not. I think they actually liked it if I recall correctly. Man, that game was dogshit apart from the opening Hoth level.

They also played Pilot Wings 64, ExciteBike 64, Mario Kart 64 and a couple other N64 games on Kames and Mike.

shanafan

They did a 3 part James and Mike Mondays about Shadows Of The Empire, too. I can't remember if that was their first time playing it or not. I think they actually liked it if Irecall correctly. Man, that game was dogshit apart from the opening Hoth level. The 3rd person and Speeder bike controls :/

Their Shadows of the Empire series was pretty good. I think it was 3 parts, and they finished the game iirc

Balb

James' N64/PS1 reviews haven't been nearly as good as the other reviews. Even Superman 64 wasn't as good as it could have been, despite the buildup.

I remember that playthrough. It was a fun watch, but they kept making excuses for the game, that it was good for the time. Nah... that game was punishing nonsense and rental-only material even back then.

thefro

I feel like his output has really slowed down since the movie. The writing isn't as sharp as it used to be either. The "James & Mike Mondays" are fun, but honestly it's something any Youtuber could do.

Board James is as good as anything he's done. Seems to be where most of his video focus is now.

We're probably about due for another new AVGN episode. Doubt he starts cranking out monthly ones because he's likely already working on a Halloween AVGN episode/Monster Madness which are big time sinks. Wouldn't surprise me if he's working on a script for another feature movie (smaller-scale, non-AVGN) as well.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66OqYaps_Ao
SPECIAL EFFECTS - Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie (documentary)
Today is the 1 Year Anniversary of the premiere of Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie. The first public screening was on July 21, 2014 at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood. It was an epic night for all of us.

Here, for the first time on YouTube, is the special effects documentary from the Blu-ray/DVD. It shows the creative process behind the practical effects in the film.

Most of the film was shot in the Los Angeles area, inside studios and exterior locations which all required expensive permits. We also worked with union cast and union crew members. It was a big production, but ironically, many of the effects were done with a small local crew, Cinemassacre-style, after I returned home to the East Coast.

Enjoy this documentary, which only gives a small glimpse at the making of the film. There is so much more to it. I plan to release more videos like this, over time.

thefro

Documentary on the practical effects is great.

The people who were bashing the special effects in some scenes for looking cheap probably didn't realize it was James and maybe Mike shooting a lot of them by themselves and using firecrackers/sparklers for pyro in their backyard or basement.

Pretty impressive considering what it was.

Documentary on the practical effects is great.

The people who were bashing the special effects in some scenes for looking cheap probably didn't realize it was James and maybe Mike shooting a lot of them by themselves and using firecrackers/sparklers for pyro in their backyard or basement.

Pretty impressive considering what it was.
Well, the effects are one of the very few funny things about the movie sadly.

Top Bottom