• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Tomita

I was hoping Seaman would make that statement just to see the nerd's reaction, but oh well.

This makes me even more disappointed that 3DS version got cancelled.

You have got to be kidding me! Oh, what a shame. I would buy Seaman on 3DS DAY ONE.

Anyone happen to know of any cool let's plays for this game or at least stuff like the Screw Attack video (which I didn't see yet but will check out)?

That was an excellent episode. Loved the clock cheating shit. The ending was nuts, haha.

Hupsel

Amazing episode. I missed the 15 minutes + episodes, they are so much better! Im okay with the nerd taking his time but producing way better content! Thanks nerd!

vocab

Good episode. Worth the wait on that one. Seaman always interested me as a game. It's the one game I remember seeing ads in every magazine at the time. Never owned a dreamcast, but that's the one game I always remembered.

Yeah, before watching his review I didn't really care about Seaman but now I think it would have been really cool to get another sequel.

Too bad we never got this in the us

:(

Seaman_2.jpg

I love their videos, but sometimes I feel like the childish humor is a little too much. Yeah, it's funny to see a curse word in a game but to spend 5 minutes on it in the video? o_O

I sortof blame Mike in this. After the room tour with AOS some weeks back, doesn't he know that vulgar vocabulary gets old with age? Or maybe it's just me, lol

I entirely agree with you on this one, I wanted them to move on to the gameplay long before they did. Mike's comments about how the game "doesn't even matter compared to the F-word" and such weren't great either, particularly with how he started saying that stuff before even playing the game... seriously, that matters more to them than the actual game?

As for that room tour, I'm not going to watch that, not with how AOS is a Gamergate supporter. And it's unfortunate that the people who mention him on big gamer youtube channels never seem to criticize him for that.

Raitaro

Amazing episode. I missed the 15 minutes + episodes, they are so much better! Im okay with the nerd taking his time but producing way better content! Thanks nerd!

I agree. The Seaman episode is one of his best in years in terms of creativeness and - dare I say it about someone who apparently slaps shit as a hobby - philosophical depth.

I think AVGN is starting to more closely mimic the format he developed these past years for the excellent Board James episodes, where there is always a good balance between covering the actual game and letting the game bring to life a narrative context (complete with the familiar Rolfe-style humor and surreal-ness).

Keep it up James!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Seaman is one of my most cherished video game memories. It was an amazing experience.

I entirely agree with you on this one, I wanted them to move on to the gameplay long before they did. Mike's comments about how the game "doesn't even matter compared to the F-word" and such weren't great either, particularly with how he started saying that stuff before even playing the game... seriously, that matters more to them than the actual game?

It's about perspective.

If you were a kid in the early 90s and you saw the word "fucking" in a Nintendo game you would have lost your mind.

It's immature, but that's the point. It harkens back to a simpler time, when language wasn't so free.

The thing that gets old about Mike is that he swears every other sentence. He doesn't seem to understand the concept of swearing and just uses it as normal vocabulary.

The thing that gets old about Mike is that he swears every other sentence. He doesn't seem to understand the concept of swearing and just uses it as normal vocabulary.
I agree; Mike is very tiring. He's pretty much the reason I stopped watching a lot of James' content.

It's really too bad.

magnetic

I actually enjoy James and Mike as a duo. The regular AVGN episodes don't really do it for me anymore, and they rarely have anything new or particularly clever to say during their videos, but I just like watching them sit on the couch and casually talking once in a while.

Maybe it's because I've been watching James' videos since the beginning, but he has this aspect of familiarity to me that I enjoy.

Again, there's hundreds of channels that are more intelligent or insightful, but I can't help but like them.

I'm even starting to like Bootsy, he felt so out of place at first, but I like him in his Battletoads video.

It's interesting how empty the regular episodes feel when it's just James, I think he's much more likeable as himself and with his friends around him.

TI82

Banned
I like Mike. Him and James have a real friendship and it reminds me of my old friends who are scattered around the country now.

Camwi

Man, that really was one of the best episodes in a long time, and a real blast from the past. I remember watching my buddy play through this ages ago, and he did most of what the AVGN did (when it came to swearing and such).

Yeah I was surprised how good that one was. For a long time now I've been finding the AVGN episodes pretty bland, and all of a sudden it was like wow this one seemed really well done. My only complaint is that whole conspiracy schtick at the end is overused. It was funny the first time or two way back when, when it came up naturally. Now it's just kinda forced I think.

As for Mike, I like him other than sometimes he lashes out with certain opinions and acts like they're a fact. I wish he would keep doing his reviews though. His delivery was really bland but I thought he knew his stuff when it came to old games. Plus his choice of game to review was always pretty random, which I liked.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
You know, I've just been thinking... this thread is 9 years old and still active! Is there an older thread on GAF that is still pretty active? And i mean, not just a necro bump once in a while with only 2 posts from 2015.

janoDX

"It's basically a form a virtual pet game, a pet that happens to be a sarcastic, wise-ass, son of a b*tch."

That line got me hard.

Daingurse

Man, that was a fun episode! Still can't believe Seaman is something that actually existed, and that I got the opportunity to experience it back in the day. I don't think I've played a commercial game since that was weirder.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
You know, I've just been thinking... this thread is 9 years old and still active! Is there an older thread on GAF that is still pretty active? And i mean, not just a necro bump once in a while with only 2 posts from 2015.

I've just looked myself up, and this thread was actually active even before I got a NeoGAF account. Damn...

Ferrio

Banned
Seaman was such a weird gaming experience. Played and beat it at release, certainly a game before it's time. Remember him asking me about console I owned, he was not happy I had a PS. Also that song at the end.

Seaman was awesome

I had to bring my Dreamcast on vacation because I didn't want my pet to die lol

Hmmm, I don't remember Seaman leaving the tank in my games but it was a looooong time ago, I wonder if I still have the disc lying around

Tomita

It's about perspective.

If you were a kid in the early 90s and you saw the word "fucking" in a Nintendo game you would have lost your mind.

It's immature, but that's the point. It harkens back to a simpler time, when language wasn't so free.

Yeah, you also have to remember how crazy Nintendo was with censorship back then--shit like taking the crosses out of Zelda and stuff, even really benign things. They started to cool it in the 90s, but James and them grew up with the 80s games. On the other hand, I didn't mind James' comments, but I felt like Mike kind of carried that topic on for too long. I actually like Mike, but he can be very "old man shaking cane" about stuff sometimes. The comments about simulators in that one video were pretty eye roll worthy. Still, it was cool we got a "follow up" video about the game, even if they most likely made it before the Seaman ep.

As for that room tour, I'm not going to watch that, not with how AOS is a Gamergate supporter. And it's unfortunate that the people who mention him on big gamer youtube channels never seem to criticize him for that.

Man, I try to keep up with this thread, but get lost with this sort of discussion. Who's AOS again? Is he that fellow who's been in some videos with Mike recently?

Dremark

Banned
You have got to be kidding me! Oh, what a shame. I would buy Seaman on 3DS DAY ONE.

Anyone happen to know of any cool let's plays for this game or at least stuff like the Screw Attack video (which I didn't see yet but will check out)?

That was an excellent episode. Loved the clock cheating shit. The ending was nuts, haha.

I am not sure if it would have actually been Seaman or a spiritual successor, it didn't sound like Sega was involved from what I read about it.

Anyway the creator talked about what happened to the project and his relationship with Satoru Iwata shortly after Iwata passed. He ended up giving up on the project and seemed to greatly regret it.

It's honestly a pretty sad read but you can look at it here: http://www.destructoid.com/yoot-saito-on-iwata-canned-seaman-3ds-game-296034.phtml

Man, I try to keep up with this thread, but get lost with this sort of discussion. Who's AOS again? Is he that fellow who's been in some videos with Mike recently?
Alpha Omega Sin. Loud and obnoxious Youtube guy who mostly makes gaming-related rant videos. He's done multiple videos ranting about how bad SJWs and Anita Sarkeesian and such are. Despite this he has a room tour video with Mike, gets positively mentioned by, if I'm remembering right, the Happy Console Gamer, Game Sack and Classic Game Room (albeit in that last case pretty much just as another gaming youtuber from Mark's area, Pittsburgh), etc. I haven't heard any of them say a word about AOS's stance against equality, either to agree or disagree, at least not on their Youtube channels (I don't read their twitters or whatever, who knows about that). I can understand wanting to stay away from the subject, but being friends with or positively mentioning a vocal supporter of Gamergate without saying anything about it doesn't look great.

Olly88

I've see absolutely nothing to suggest that AlphaOmegaSin is against equality or a "gamergater". You can be for equality and yet completely disagree with the way certain people go about trying to achieve things.

I've seen most of his videos about all this stuff, and I agree with him on most of the things I've seen him talk about. When I see him bring up a point I think most of the time he hits the nail on the head. I'm absolutely for equality and all kinds of racism, homophobia, sexism and anything else like that pisses me off, and if I see anyone that holds an opinion that sides with any of those views I'll automatically think they're a fucking idiot and a dickhead.

It seems that so many people think that if someone has a different opinion on certain things than they do, then they're automatically dismissed as being on the other "side", which is ridiculous IMO.

I've see absolutely nothing to suggest that AlphaOmegaSin is against equality or a "gamergater". You can be for equality and yet completely disagree with the way certain people go about trying to achieve things.
Umm, you DO know that you are talking about someone, AOS, who just days ago put a video up on Youtube titled "SJWs need to leave the entertainment industry alone & fuck off", with the promo pic of him holding his middle finger up to the camera, yes? I clicked on it to make sure that the sentiments inside were the same as the title, and they are: within 30 seconds into the video he has already said that "SJWs" are "fucking scum". I really hope that you don't agree with such awful sentiments.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Alpha Omega Sin. Loud and obnoxious Youtube guy who mostly makes gaming-related rant videos. He's done multiple videos ranting about how bad SJWs and Anita Sarkeesian and such are. Despite this he has a room tour video with Mike, gets positively mentioned by, if I'm remembering right, the Happy Console Gamer, Game Sack and Classic Game Room (albeit in that last case pretty much just as another gaming youtuber from Mark's area, Pittsburgh), etc. I haven't heard any of them say a word about AOS's stance against equality, either to agree or disagree, at least not on their Youtube channels (I don't read their twitters or whatever, who knows about that). I can understand wanting to stay away from the subject, but being friends with or positively mentioning a vocal supporter of Gamergate without saying anything about it doesn't look great.

Umm, you DO know that you are talking about someone, AOS, who just days ago put a video up on Youtube titled "SJWs need to leave the entertainment industry alone & fuck off", with the promo pic of him holding his middle finger up to the camera, yes? I clicked on it to make sure that the sentiments inside were the same as the title, and they are: within 30 seconds into the video he has already said that "SJWs" are "fucking scum". I really hope that you don't agree with such awful sentiments.
Please don't ruin this thread.

Top Bottom