• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Does anybody know where I can buy the Board James DVD that was released a year or two back? It's not on the ScrewAttack store and I can't find it on eBay even. I'm guessing it's out of print..

So, last night on your guy's recommendation I went and watched all the Board James stuff.

You guys were right. It's great.

The tone is at times sincere, endearing, bizarre, and creepy. And I love that they are so short (most less than 5 minutes). It really forces James to create more interesting shots and edit at a brisker pace than he does with AVGN, and Mike and Bootsy are terrific on it. The only experience I had of Bootsy were his appearances on James and Mike Mondays where he doesn't talk much, does't joke much, and is just good at games, so it's great seeing him have fun and act like a clown; he's probably the most enjoyable thing about Board James for me.

shanafan

I don't want to be "that guy" when I say this, but maybe I already am by saying that, but Cinemassacre wants to portray Bootsy as an expert at retro games. I admit, he does pretty well in the videos. But, is that just smoke and mirrors because Mike and James are just OK at retro games? If I could rank the 3 of them, James is definitely third but Mike is closer to Bootsy as far as playing skill.

The Sonic 06 video was an opportunity to really see them play a video game uninterrupted and unedited. I thought it became a little bothersome how they just didn't know what to do, and especially skipped tips that popped up. Sonic 06 isn't a good game, but it was like come on guys..

What do you guys think?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Anyone who can beat Battletoads is an expert at retro games. That game is complete and utter shit.

kinda surprised they didn't do a thing on rare replay. we know mike at least has a xb1 and it seems like something they could do a video on.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
kinda surprised they didn't do a thing on rare replay. we know mike at least has a xb1 and it seems like something they could do a video on.
I don't know, think they'd complain about X1 updating & having to download some stuff and how Rare's newer games don't hold up to the "good old Rare days" and all that, then maybe a minute about the actual game itself.

Now if they did something like a complete playthrough of, say, Battletoads Arcade, considering this is the first time it's been ported, & would talk about the game & not how things are different and worse now, I'd probably watch it.

It should be a proper AVGN episode: "You guys wanted me to review modern games, well here's one that came out this year!" or something.
....okay, I'd actually be okay with this if the Nerd was unaware of what happened with Rare, going over the history of all their games, questioning the move from Nintendo to Microsoft.

Dereck

I don't know, think they'd complain about X1 updating & having to download some stuff and how Rare's newer games don't hold up to the "good old Rare days" and all that, then maybe a minute about the actual game itself.
Yeah

EDIT: Then they would complain about new consoles not having enough new and innovative games of their own, and then they would praise the old games in the collection.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
They need to stay the fuck away from anything after the 6th gen. It's so much better when they dealing with games they grew up with.
Pretty much. I don't mind GCN/Xbox/PS2 era, but after that, it's less about the games & more about "UUGGHH, THINGS ARE SO DIFFERENT NOW, LET'S COMPLAIN ABOUT THE CONSOLES oh right we're playing this gaAAAHH THINGS WERE BETTER BEFORE THIS".

I kind of stopped watching their Let's Plays unless it's something I've barely seen played/talked about & is older. I remember trying to watch that NES Remix one and I just couldn't enjoy it, not to mention the comments here on the Godzilla one. They don't actually talk about the games themselves, they just complain about the systems themselves & how things have changed.

Lothar

Banned
They need to do a Dark Souls AVGN episode. If James ever played it, I'm sure he would think that would be perfect for one.

Karsha

Is the original contra force this slow or it was the hacked japanese version? I remember loving this game, having the characters with different specialities really added to it and made the gameplay different with all 4 of them , didn't know it was considered the worst old school contra :/

Pretty much. I don't mind GCN/Xbox/PS2 era, but after that, it's less about the games & more about "UUGGHH, THINGS ARE SO DIFFERENT NOW, LET'S COMPLAIN ABOUT THE CONSOLES oh right we're playing this gaAAAHH THINGS WERE BETTER BEFORE THIS".

They really didn't complain about the Wii U the few times they played it. In the Nintendoland, they commented on an update, but after that they had a good time. Their biggest complaint are the constant updates and the need to update games on the day of their release.

I like watching them play newer games. Mike certainly is more well versed in modern gaming, but it's fun to watch how connected and disconnected James is to the current gaming trends.

The latest episode of James & Mike was pretty good. I've never played Contra Force, but this version seemed really slow and not fun.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well the thing is, they don't turn on their new systems constantly like some people, so of course after months of not playing it, it'll need an update. I haven't turned my 360 on in months & was fully expecting an update and it happened.

To be fair, updating a game on release or waiting to play a new game you bought because your system needs to update are valid complaints, but there's only so much before they sound like "well back in MY DAY games were better". I understand they're busy adults so they can't always keep up with modern gaming, but it's just an annoyance when it gets brought up for the #th time. Comparing today to the past is fine, but it's just tiresome when it's about the same things over & over.

I just remember their NES Remix video beginning with them talking about Miiverse and the internet & such. I think after that, it wasn't as bad as you said.

Well the thing is, they don't turn on their new systems constantly like some people, so of course after months of not playing it, it'll need an update. I haven't turned my 360 on in months & was fully expecting an update and it happened.

To be fair, updating a game on release or waiting to play a new game you bought because your system needs to update are valid complaints, but there's only so much before they sound like "well back in MY DAY games were better". I understand they're busy adults so they can't always keep up with modern gaming, but it's just an annoyance when it gets brought up for the #th time. Comparing today to the past is fine, but it's just tiresome when it's about the same things over & over.

Gaming is kind of their business though, and in some ways it seems like they're growing out of touch. They've also mentioned on occasion how N64 isn't there forte, yet there's a rapidly growing demographic of gamers whose nostalgic memories are N64 or newer. I'm curious how they and other retro themed personalities will retain viewers if they can't stay relevant.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Bill is likely meant to be Bill Rizer, the protagonist of the first Contra.
Though, in the actual game (which was only released in America), the characters are called Burns, Iron, Smith, and... Beans. Yeah, that's who I want to play as, a guy called Beans.

I think the "Bill" in that game is supposed to be Billy Lee...except that gave Billy Lee's character sprite to "Ryu" on that select screen, lol.

Gaming is kind of their business though, and in some ways it seems like they're growing out of touch. They've also mentioned on occasion how N64 isn't there forte, yet there's a rapidly growing demographic of gamers whose nostalgic memories are N64 or newer. I'm curious how they and other retro themed personalities will retain viewers if they can't stay relevant.

Interest in retro gaming isn't going away anytime soon. I think they'll be OK.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
lol
https://twitter.com/lloydkaufman/status/630445896262619136?lang=en

Lloyd Kaufman
‏@lloydkaufman

Got to cross streams w @avgn @cinemassacre at live taping w @DougSakmann @badtechno @cathercorcoran Kabukiman Show

CL_LLXWWoAARd2Z.jpg

Bluth54

I don't think I want to see the nerd move into the 360/PS3/Wii era aside from the occasional bad game/episode though I would like to see him do more N64 and Playstation games.

Timu

I don't think I want to see the nerd move into the 360/PS3/Wii era aside from the occasional bad game/episode though I would like to see him do more N64 and Playstation games.
Yeah I agree, and more Dreamcast and Sega Saturn as well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh yeah, I'm totally for him going into the N64/PS1/Dreamcast era stuff, that's fine. It's been so many years since he's started that those systems are now old enough to be worthy of an episode. & as I've said before, it'd open the door for many more games.

Seaman is a great example. The game was a great choice & there was nice small moments like questioning the placement of the controller cord or that silly rant about the system having a clock.

Or heck, go back to stuff like the 3DO.

goldenpp72

What about the Sega Master System? I am sure there is some *ahem* "Gold" to be found?

Believe it or not, there aren't a lot of outright bad games on that system, at least in the US. Keep in mind almost no one published games for the system outside of Sega, which led to something like 100 releases on the system proper.

There are a few stinkers but, not a lot of terrible ones.

Lothar

Banned
From the bit I saw, people were just asking dumb "joke" questions and generic stuff like what's your favorite genre of games.

I saw that the last question was someone asking him what his favorite FF was. What a waste. He's repeatedly said FF6 was one his favorite games ever made and I've never seen him talk about another FF. But even if he had said nothing about FF before, of course he would say a SNES game.

It'd be awesome if someone could convince him or Mike or Bootsy to come either here or on Something Awful where there's older more intelligent gamers.

The thing I most wonder about is what are his thoughts on survival horror games. He loves games and loves horror movies, it seems like it would be a perfect fit. Yet he never mentions them. The original Resident Evil begs for a AVGN episode. One of those like Ninja Gaiden or Zelda 2 where he gives it credit for what it does well and takes it to task for it's bad parts.

Top Bottom