• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Tomita

Thanks for the link, Dremark!

Alpha Omega Sin...Okay, I recognize that dude, but don't recall him in a Cinemassacre video. Must have missed that one. I only watched maybe two of AOS' videos years ago and it was purely about video games, so I dunno about his opinions outside of what's being said here.

I kind of agree with the notion that if someone holds toxic views on subjects like sexism and racism it's not too cool to help "promote" that person, but I'm sure people like James are also incredibly busy, and aren't aware of some of this stuff unless it's explicitly brought to their attention. Like, I don't think James 100% agrees with everything AOS, or whoever else, thinks just because the guy is in one of his videos, you know? I would be more concerned if the person was a recurring presence on the shows. A "guest spot" and a recurring role are two different things to me.

The video was excellent, and I don't get the hate for Mike. I think he balanced James out. James being the soft spoken guy, while Mike is the louder more outspoken one. I think that works.

As for AOS, I'm not a fan. I don't know whether he's a gamergater or not, but here's the thing. Considering how people say James and Mike are so out of touch with modern gaming, I doubt either of them are even aware of what it is.

Sorry if this was asked before but whats with all the mikes giant penis comments in the comment section? Mike even replied and said it was 10 inches? Wtf?

Why what why

Thanks for the link, Dremark!

Alpha Omega Sin...Okay, I recognize that dude, but don't recall him in a Cinemassacre video. Must have missed that one. I only watched maybe two of AOS' videos years ago and it was purely about video games, so I dunno about his opinions outside of what's being said here.

He was in video tour video where Mike showed off his room. He was also in the cast of people that played Jekyll & Hyde with James and Mike. I'm not really a fan of his, to be honest. He's consistently obnoxious in the videos I've seem him. He's quite vocal and tends to over take others in conversations.

That being said, I really enjoyed the last AVGN. It was one of the better ones that have come out recently. Bootsy Plays... is a great idea, too! I've always liked when he's on camera, and the man really knows how to play video games. I don't mind Ryan, either. You can tell he's still a bit nervous on camera, but that's fine.

Haunted

Is this one of the oldest still running threads on GAF? I love how almost every time I click on this, I see demi's post from 9 years ago, describing that he basically stumbled upon "pretty funny stuff".

Tomita

He was in video tour video where Mike showed off his room. He was also in the cast of people that played Jekyll & Hyde with James and Mike.

I had a blast watching that Jekyll and Hyde video when it first came out, but I don't remember him in that video either! My brain doesn't like AOS, apparently, lol. Also, I should rewatch that vid. I remember the part with the logs killed me.

The video was excellent, and I don't get the hate for Mike. I think he balanced James out. James being the soft spoken guy, while Mike is the louder more outspoken one. I think that works.

I agree. James has a different energy when Mike's around, and I mean that in a good way. I don't mind James alone either. The way the two will crack jokes together, it's great. You can see how old their friendship is.

I should say my thoughts on the Seaman review; it was pretty good. I haven't played Seaman myself, because I've never had much of any interest in digital-life games, and this video definitely didn't make me want to play the game, but it did a good job of showing how the game is, I thought. My only real criticism is that he's returning to the silly-conspiracy-theory thing a bit too often in his reviews; it was funny the first time he did that kind of thing, but while somewhat amusing, it's starting to get cliche because of how often he's used it. Also... is that froglike form the final evolution of Seaman, or is that just where he stopped playing? The video didn't make that clear. Otherwise though, good fun episode, I definitely liked it.

I kind of agree with the notion that if someone holds toxic views on subjects like sexism and racism it's not too cool to help "promote" that person,
That's the main reason I brought it up, because I agree with this last sentence here. I strongly believe in free speech so AOS can say what he wants, but I don't like them giving him free publicity without mentioning any of the questionable stuff he says.

but I'm sure people like James are also incredibly busy, and aren't aware of some of this stuff unless it's explicitly brought to their attention. Like, I don't think James 100% agrees with everything AOS, or whoever else, thinks just because the guy is in one of his videos, you know? I would be more concerned if the person was a recurring presence on the shows. A "guest spot" and a recurring role are two different things to me.
Three videos, not one, as has been pointed out (the two-part room tour and the Jekyll & Hyde video). It isn't just one, I didn't mention it when it was just the first video he appeared in, which was the Jeckyll & Hyde convention-panel one.

But beyond that, that they might not know is a fair point, and yeah, it's entirely possible that they don't know. Do they actually watch his videos, or do they just know him in person because he also does Youtube videos? Sure, it could well be the latter. And no, I don't think James 100% agrees with him; not talking about an issue isn't agreement, it's not talking about it.

He was in video tour video where Mike showed off his room. He was also in the cast of people that played Jekyll & Hyde with James and Mike. I'm not really a fan of his, to be honest. He's consistently obnoxious in the videos I've seem him. He's quite vocal and tends to over take others in conversations.
Yeah, if it was just the one Jekyll & Hyde video I wouldn't (and didn't) mention it, but he's been in three videos now, because the room tour is a two-parter. And I do agree about the way he comes across in videos.

That being said, I really enjoyed the last AVGN. It was one of the better ones that have come out recently. Bootsy Plays... is a great idea, too! I've always liked when he's on camera, and the man really knows how to play video games. I don't mind Ryan, either. You can tell he's still a bit nervous on camera, but that's fine.
Yeah, the Bootsy videos are pretty good, it's cool to see someone so good at that super-hard game play through it. The strategy video is nice too, I hope he does more.

Too bad we never got this in the us

:(

Seaman_2.jpg
Sega being Sega, they manage to mess up good things so often. :( I personally wouldn't have played it, but for the people who would, and I'm sure there are plenty of them, it's really too bad they didn't bring it over. Maybe a PC version would have been a good idea? Digital-life games seem more popular on computer than TV consoles...

PaulBizkit

That seaman video was great. Seeing james get angry over malfunctioning games is one thing, but seeing him puzzled and confused by bizarre games is another. Amazing.

tearsofash

"Do it for Nimoy!" needs to be on a shirt.

I had this game. I never could beat it. I'd always get to the middle part and then I think I ran out of food.

depths20XX

Sorry if this was asked before but whats with all the mikes giant penis comments in the comment section? Mike even replied and said it was 10 inches? Wtf?

Why what why

You're talking about Mike here. The dude's pinnacle of comedy is saying the word "fuck" or "pussy".

Operation C - James & Mike Mondays

AKA the Contra game for Game Boy

I felt the exact same way that Mike did about the GameBoy. I loved the library of games it had when I was a kid, but I also hated the machine because of the monochrome screen and lack of back light. I begged my parents to get me a GameGear instead for Christmas, and they did.

It wasn't until the release of the Super GameBoy that I started to enjoy the GB library. The GBC was slightly more tolerable as it does have a better screen with no ghosting, but still, the lack of backlight was a pain on that machine. But I loved the games selection for the GBC.

I have never played Operation C on the Gameboy, but it actually looks pretty good.

TheContact

This episode was pretty great. I had the unfortunate experience of having played the game on the dreamcast with my friend. I never got the point of it. Never even got as far as the avgn did. What a weird game asking you personal questions like that. That data must have been sent to sega for marketing

I am not sure if it would have actually been Seaman or a spiritual successor, it didn't sound like Sega was involved from what I read about it.

Anyway the creator talked about what happened to the project and his relationship with Satoru Iwata shortly after Iwata passed. He ended up giving up on the project and seemed to greatly regret it.

It's honestly a pretty sad read but you can look at it here: http://www.destructoid.com/yoot-saito-on-iwata-canned-seaman-3ds-game-296034.phtml
I came here to post the same thing. Watching the video made me think "gee we have not heard about Seaman 3DS in well...ever". And I searched, and I found that :( . Also I notice it is technically GAF>Internet>GAF.

Great Board James episode! Those glasses cracked me up.

One of the thing I love about Cinemassacre is that we're the same age, so I've experienced a lot of their frustrations and excitement about growing up in that era.

Board James is great!

Is the line
, "You're such a nerd" a clue? Board James the happy alter ego of the Nerd, and sometimes his rage seeps through the facade? It is so wonderfully dark, what an awesome surprise it is to have a new Board James to come home to.

Man, I think I've outgrown AVGN. I still love his James & Mike Mondays series though. Also Board James is great!

I thought the same thing, but recently I've just been sitting and watching old AVGN episodes, and I still laughed my butt off during some of those older episodes, like Karate Kid, Friday the 13th, and Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout. They're still super funny, and I don't think I've outgrown AVGN anymore, I think James has outgrown AVGN.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I thought the same thing, but recently I've just been sitting and watching old AVGN episodes, and I still laughed my butt off during some of those older episodes, like Karate Kid, Friday the 13th, and Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout. They're still super funny, and I don't think I've outgrown AVGN anymore, I think James has outgrown AVGN.

Yeah, I think he's been tired of doing it for a while. He just wants to move on and live his dream of making films and he just does AVGN every once in a while to throw a bone to the fans.

The old episodes are still great.

I liked the Seaman episode. The insane tangent thing is pretty funny.

I'm gonna have to start watching board james. Seems like his heart might be more in that these days.

Wonder how well the Nerd movie did.

I still haven't seen it. Is it any good?

Yeah, I don't know what the hell he was thinking with that movie. I understand his desire and wanting to make a movie for a long time, but I would think someone who appreciates cinema so much like he does would understand how flat that movie was. There was only one joke in the entire thing I found funny, and WHY did he have to cast someone he had no chemistry with to be his "best friend" or whatever. I didn't have hopes it'd be a masterpiece by any means, but it could've been so much better.

I just started Heroquest and so far it's kind of cute, but there's no real story lines yet. It's AVGN-lite, which is fine and great.

In this, and AVGN, and James and Mike, I still don't get the Mike hate. He's so essential to AVGN and his humor that I find it hard to believe people separate the two.

Edit: Oh god, I may have spoken too soon. This Mr Bucket one is great. Might be in the top 10 things he's done. Wow. That was great.

Edit 2: As someone who has only so far been exposed to Bootsy in the Mike and James Mondays, I thought he had the personality of a wet mop. He's great so far in these Board James videos (currently completed Donut Disaster).

Edit 3: I know it is non-canonical, but I wish when they moved the couch in Battle Masters Kyle was behind it. I also love how Mike is a cheater. It's great. Board James is this weird meta-thing. It's great.

Edit 4: Ok, Shark Attack broke me. I'll pick this up again tomorrow. It's amazing and took a while to get great. Wow at Bootsy.

clav

Decent episode. I thought James was sick of his own AVGN character, and it kinda did show in his newest videos to the point that he just went to filming himself playing games. I lost interest when he started doing those, but I guess there's a group who likes it.

He's been putting a lot more effort in his board game series.

Yeah. That Silver Surfer episode never gets old.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yeah, I don't know what the hell he was thinking with that movie. I understand his desire and wanting to make a movie for a long time, but I would think someone who appreciates cinema so much like he does would understand how flat that movie was. There was only one joke in the entire thing I found funny, and WHY did he have to cast someone he had no chemistry with to be his "best friend" or whatever. I didn't have hopes it'd be a masterpiece by any means, but it could've been so much better.

That sucks. James seems like a real genuine dude so I was hoping the movie would do well for him.

Juding from his other more theatrical stuff I'm not surprised though.

This was one of the best episodes in a long time! Not counting Board James, which I consider to be one his finest works, because it's just pure genius!

Top Bottom