• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

DyersEve

Haha the closeups of his face as the plane starts to make a landing. Hes rigth though the landing and refueling were some of the hardest things ive ever played in gameing and if I would have played the game every minute of everyday I could have probably masterd it but screw that.

Mission 2: Destroy enemy aircraft carrier. Thats sounds ok.... as long as I dont have to land on the f***ing thing. :lol

Nicktals

Banned
KDups said:
If you think TMNT, BTTF, Roger Rabbit, and Top Gun were good games then I will never trust your opinion of games. Never ever.

Read my full posts please. He knew he could walk over that jump in TMNT, and for some reason he carried a block while trying to get between the 2 springs to get to the boat in McKids. That's what I meant. He's fabricating things for comic effect. Which is fine, but it just means that I won't take any of his comments seriously. I never even mentioned any other game besides those two, so I'm not sure why you did in response.

My point was that he could make valid points (rather than fabricating for comedic effect), while remaining entertaining and would end up with a better over-all product.

Top Gun sucks. I, like many others, have never seen the 3rd level. Although I don't think I tried for more than an hour.

Nicktals said:
He knew he could walk over that jump in TMNT, and for some reason he carried a block while trying to get between the 2 springs to get to the boat in McKids. That's what I meant. He's fabricating things for comic effect.
oh god. he's not fabricating things for comic effect, these things ACTUALLY HAPPENED to any sane person/kid that played these games back in the day. that's why it's funny ffs, because it's true. unless you were some pussy that called up a help line or something you had to play games on the nes with insane amounts of trial and error time included

thefro

Joseph Merrick said:
oh god. he's not fabricating things for comic effect, these things ACTUALLY HAPPENED to any sane person/kid that played these games back in the day. that's why it's funny ffs, because it's true. unless you were some pussy that called up a help line or something you had to play games on the nes with insane amounts of trial and error time included

Yep, I did the same thing with that jump in TMNT the first 3-4 times I played that area.

Steeven

I think his reviews are brilliant, because they are hilarious. Not only because of the swearing and his bad acting, but also because he points out situations in games that were f*cking hard when I was a kid. It's nostalgia. Please keep it coming, he needs to do every game that was released, ever.

Nicktals

Banned
Joseph Merrick said:

Dude, most video games on the NES allowed you to walk over 1 space gaps. I didn't need a ****ing tip line to tell me that, and I can honestly say I never had an issue with the jump. And why does he have the brick in McKids? There's no reason to bring that down there...It's like he did it just to make it more difficult so he'd have something to bitch about.

If that's not for comic effect, I don't know what is. And I'm guessing if I went back and watched the other videos of games I played a lot, I could find some other examples.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
his TMNT review is still the best one holy shit did I laughed out loud in that vid.

Christopher

Joseph Merrick said:
please do, because what you got so far isn't good enough

ok what are you arguing, it's not that serious. This dude tries too hard, it's informative, but it reeks of tryhard.

I liked Rodger Rabbit in the day :p

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
brings back some memories - i had a lot of these shitty games. That top gun shit was spot on, I can still remember that ****ing refueling garbage. that back to future game was just godawful too and I wanted to love TMNT but it was just too ****ing cheap

i got a good laugh these

KDups said:
If you think TMNT, BTTF, Roger Rabbit, and Top Gun were good games then I will never trust your opinion of games. Never ever.

I can't comment on BTTF and Roger Rabbit, they both looked terrible and I never played them, but TMNT and Top Gun were seemingly good software when they launched. I remember LOVING TMNT. There might have been a few bad scenes, but it was a GOOD game at that time. Top Gun WAS impossible and probably still is, but I can remember landing successfully and refueling successfully a few times. Obviously NintendoNerd overstates a few things, but TMNT was a SOLID game 8bit. Donatello was obviously everyone's pimp though.

I want to see one for a Boy and his blob. Someone rented that for me at the time and I could not figure out how to play the game at all :lol Back then I was forever playing games but getting nowhere because renting didnt come with a manual and I was clueless:lol

Nicktals

Banned
Joseph Merrick said:
please do, because what you got so far isn't good enough

Well, you never responded to the McKids, and eventhough I've never played the game, after watching the castlevania 2 vid it's just way too scripted. You've got to be kidding me if you don't think this is all scripted out, and edited for comic effect. But yeah, I agree with above that it reaks of trying too hard. Especially when he starts grasping for things to get mad about. And it's not worth it to me to go play any of these games (I think I own all of them, but I haven't played most of em) just to give you further examples. I'll check out the most recent reviews to see if any of them are ones I've played a lot.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Obviously NintendoNerd overstates a few things, but TMNT was a SOLID game 8bit. Donatello was obviously everyone's pimp though.

Pffft. I was a huge Turtles nerd and I still knew the game was poop. Terrible controls and bad level design, even a kid can see these things.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Nicktals said:
Dude, most video games on the NES allowed you to walk over 1 space gaps. I didn't need a ****ing tip line to tell me that, and I can honestly say I never had an issue with the jump. And why does he have the brick in McKids? There's no reason to bring that down there...It's like he did it just to make it more difficult so he'd have something to bitch about.

If that's not for comic effect, I don't know what is. And I'm guessing if I went back and watched the other videos of games I played a lot, I could find some other examples.

:lol

NES apologist.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Rambo, please.

I was stuck in the first area for at least an hour when I rented it, and finally took it back and got a different game.

Played it a few years ago and again was stuck in the first area for at least 30 minutes. I think you had to press down in some seemingly arbitrary place, and your sprite had to be in the EXACT right spot down to the pixel.

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
briefcasemanx said:
Rambo, please.

I was stuck in the first area for at least an hour when I rented it, and finally took it back and got a different game.

Played it a few years ago and again was stuck in the first area for at least 30 minutes. I think you had to press down in some seemingly arbitrary place, and your sprite had to be in the EXACT right spot down to the pixel.

You mean the part where you tried to leave the hangar/base so you can move on and get dropped in the jungle, right? I had the same problem. :lol

Nicktals

Banned
FlyinJ said:
:lol

NES apologist.

Heh. I wish. I've got about 150+ games, 75% of which would make for great material for this dude. I just don't think he does it well. Or, I should say, I think he could do it better. Being overdramatic and cussing, while giving an accurate depiction of the game.

Mashing

Top Gun was one of the first game I had for my NES (sadly, I've lost nearly my entire collection of NES games :( ). I remember getting some enjoyment out of this game. It's not nearly as bad as something like BTTF though.

Nicktals said:
Heh. I wish. I've got about 150+ games, 75% of which would make for great material for this dude. I just don't think he does it well. Or, I should say, I think he could do it better. Being overdramatic and cussing, while giving an accurate depiction of the game.
Any criticisms you might have are completely made invalid by his "Cowa****ing piece of dog shit" rant.

EDIT:

"Cowabunga. Cowa-****ing-piece of dog shit. This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick. This game is as appealing as a ****ing ooze-infested dirty ****ing sewer rat shit. I've had more fun playing with dog turds. Shredder's my ass and Splinter's my balls. This game is an inside-out asshole regurgitating, putrid, anal fecal matter. I'd rather ****ing yank all the hairs out of my scrotum. I'd rather drink diarrhea vomited out of a buffalo's anus. It sucking ****s, it ****ing sucks, it ****ing blows, it's a piece of shit, and I don't like it."

Gruco

Banned
Like a few others have pointed out, this would be much better if he'd just focus in ripping on the games and dropped a few less "I mean"s and "shit this sucks"s.

I really enjoyed the Back to the Future, with the bits from the movies thrown in.

The MC Kids did not get the point across though....now I want to play that game.

Funny videos. Could be a lot shorter, though. I could do without all of the footage of him talking to the camera and just swearing over and over. The truly funny parts are when he shows off the terrible game design.

I still can't believe he spent so long talking about a good game like MC Kids.

I had Double Dragon 3, I played it on and off for years and never achieved shit.

I lol'ed at the Top Gun bit, where the fuel jet just goes away if you get the sequence wrong. :lol :lol

"Its like, f*ck him and just flies away leaving you to die!"

Demigod Mac

The Double Dragon 3 one was a bit disappointing. Seemed like he was in a rush this week and had to whip together a quick video.

btw, DD3 isn't THAT hard until you reach the final level with its insta-death pitfalls and the insanely tough final boss.

Ok, I just played some Top Gun, and I'm not sure if some people miss it or not, but not only do you have to press what direction it tells you, but you need to adjust your altitude/speed to what it shows you. After playing for awhile I've got the landing down pat, it's no doubt unneccesarily difficult, but it's not near as hard as he makes it out to be.

And the refueling it REDICULOUSLY easy if you know what to do. Your first instinct is like the carrier, just to press the directions it tells you and wait, but if you keep speeding up while moving the direction it tells you, you'll get it within 5 seconds, no joke.

Double Dragon 3 definitely ruined my life for a bit when I was 9 years old. I was so excited to be the first of my friends to rent it, and so wretchedly dissapointed to find out how frustrating it was.

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
Synbios459 said:
Ok, I just played some Top Gun, and I'm not sure if some people miss it or not, but not only do you have to press what direction it tells you, but you need to adjust your altitude/speed to what it shows you. After playing for awhile I've got the landing down pat, it's no doubt unneccesarily difficult, but it's not near as hard as he makes it out to be.

And the refueling it REDICULOUSLY easy if you know what to do. Your first instinct is like the carrier, just to press the directions it tells you and wait, but if you keep speeding up while moving the direction it tells you, you'll get it within 5 seconds, no joke.

He does this with almost every game he reviews making the game seem far worse than it is. Just look at his Dr Jekyll Mr Hyde review.

BSTF said:
He does this with almost every game he reviews making the game seem far worse than it is. Just look at his Dr Jekyll Mr Hyde review.
I do agree with the DJMH review, I tried playing it after watching him and I couldn't get much farther.

Top Bottom