• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf |OT2| You Can Stack Fruit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einbroch

Banned
AC is nothing like any of those games. I've played my fair share of both. Nothing like.
What is the gameplay of Animal Crossing, then? Instead of just dismissing me, tell me why, because I'm not seeing it.

As I've said, I'm early and I don't know if it opens up. Which is why I am asking in the official thread if it does open up and what gameplay there is.

Yes they are. You do your daily tasks and wait for the time to pass so you can do it again, except in AC it seems to be literal time and not "wait for your energy to recharge".

Gameplay-wise, no. But I just feel the Tiny Tower/Clash of Clans fatigue if there's not really any somewhat deep gameplay there to back it up.

Yes. After a couple hours you know everything there is to know.

Or, maybe, you don't.

Linius

Thanks to multiple people I've catalogued quite a large portion of my list, these are the remaining bits that I'm still looking for:

Ramshackle Wall
Lab series stuff: Lab Wall, Lab Floor, Medicine Chest, Unknown Machine, Amazing Machine

Hologram Machine
Large Bookshelf
Magazine Rack
Black Katana
Doghouse

I'm also looking to trade for a Sea Globe.

I have the Ramshackle wall and the lab floor. They would cost me 3000 to order at Nooks.

BowieZ

Banned
What is the gameplay of Animal Crossing, then? Instead of just dismissing me, tell me why, because I'm not seeing it.

As I've said, I'm early and I don't know if it opens up. Which is why I am asking in the official thread if it does open up and what gameplay there is.
I think part of the fun is the surprise in learning how deep the game goes, in what ways it opens up. The depth of items, customisation, characterisation, and sense of time and place.

It's hard to explain the experience without spoiling it.

The game is a Nintendo-developed timewaster with all the charm, easter eggs, and interface quirks you might expect.

If that doesn't sound appealing, the game definitely isn't for you.

Machine

Yesterday the museum expansion opened. This morning the new police station opened. Club LOL will open in another day or two. Plus, I finally got a slingshot this morning. Things are rolling along in my town.

Moe told me he was moving out and I told him to have a nice life. The bastard decided he would stay and annoy me since I wasn't upset that he was leaving.

The_Walrus

Neo Member
Thanks to multiple people I've catalogued quite a large portion of my list, these are the remaining bits that I'm still looking for:

Ramshackle Wall
Lab series stuff: Lab Wall, Lab Floor, Medicine Chest, Unknown Machine, Amazing Machine

Hologram Machine
Large Bookshelf
Magazine Rack
Black Katana
Doghouse

I have a dog house.

Einbroch

Banned
I think part of the fun is the surprise in learning how deep the game goes, in what ways it opens up. The depth of items, customisation, characterisation, and sense of time and place.

It's hard to explain the experience without spoiling it.
Sounds like it would be fun for some people, but I'm kind of a more gameplay guy. Games like Ico and Flower are just not enjoyable to me, there needs to a set of mechanics and rules that are fun to play, hence why I'm more into games like Vanquish, League of Legends, Fire Emblem, Dota 2, Tales RPGs, etc.

Getting lost in a world and wandering just isn't my cup of tea, I'm afraid.

Enjoy your game, though. Definitely has charm. Isabelle is too adorable.

Chopper

Sorry, not dismissing. Just on my phone.

Make a load of money and customise everything you can. You will unlock more and more features as you go. If you can't enjoy that, then maybe it's not for you. But it's definitely nothing like Tiny tower et al.

Animal crossing certainly has its own mechanics that require refining and quirks that you can grow to love. But yeah, it won't play like Vanquish.

Sounds like it would be fun for some people, but I'm kind of a more gameplay guy. Games like Ico and Flower are just not enjoyable to me, there needs to a set of mechanics and rules that are fun to play, hence why I'm more into games like Vanquish, League of Legends, Fire Emblem, Dota 2, Tales RPGs, etc.

Getting lost in a world and wandering just isn't my cup of tea, I'm afraid.

Assuming you already have a 3DS, I would skip AC and look into more mechanics-heavy gems like Etrian Odyssey IV or Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Einbroch

Banned
Wait, how long have you played it so far?

Played about an hour last night and about three hours this morning after all the shops opened up. Got a shovel, fishing pole, been picking fruit, fishing, digging up fossils, buying various things, opening fortune cookies, that kinda stuff.

No I don't need anything. I haven't played online yet. How does this work exactly?
If you haven't already done so you'll need to head to town to the photo booth and get your picture taken for your pass card so you can open your town gates. Other than that you need to add me as a friend on your 3DS (and I'll also need to add you), then go to the train station, open your town gate to faraway people and then I can visit your town. Let me know what fruit you have in your town and I'll swing by with some foreign town fruit for you to plant.

Shaffield

Ramshackle Wall

Hologram Machine
Large Bookshelf
Magazine Rack
Black Katana
Doghouse

i've got an extra black katana with your name on it yo.

i haven't been hangin out here in the OT because i don't have the time lol, but i feel like bein generous this morning :D

Lexxism

tumblr_mp9gitd1Go1svt5z8o1_400.jpg

Happy Canada Day!

The_Walrus

Neo Member
If you haven't already done so you'll need to head to town to the photo booth and get your picture taken for your pass card so you can open your town gates. Other than that you need to add me as a friend on your 3DS (and I'll also need to add you), then go to the train station, open your town gate to faraway people and then I can visit your town. Let me know what fruit you have in your town and I'll swing by with some foreign town fruit for you to plant.

Okay. FC: 1332-7709-6939. My native fruit are peaches. I'll go set it up now.

IrishNinja

....so i just took a look through that ordering machine in nook's not-a-struggle shop...okay, cataloging is hot shit. i dont gotta keep nothing in storage, i can sell it all and just buy it back when i want & ball outta control, this is the besssst

yo I can't cope with the pressure
settlin' for lesser

the god left lessons on my dresser

my boots hangin' over the telephone wire, word to metlife
my man moblins got insurance on his mic; smokin' mad ish and still got endurance when he fight

that's my dude. ima find some quality stuff and bumrush ya whole life/car one day man

ps oh man ima copy that katana off of one of youse later

Guys, I think ACNL is trying to tell me i'm the Hero of Time because I've gotten a Master Sword from fortune cookies 2 days in a row. Don't really need an extra. Anyone want it?

BowieZ

Banned
Played about an hour last night and about three hours this morning after all the shops opened up. Got a shovel, fishing pole, been picking fruit, fishing, digging up fossils, buying various things, opening fortune cookies, that kinda stuff.
My suggestion: keep at it, for a couple more days at least.

I also wondered the same thing when I first started (my first AC experience) - and I would've probably sought reassurance from GAF as well had I not been banned at the time.

But once you've got the hang of the basics and got your approval rating to 100% (shouldn't take more than 2 days), suddenly you have hundreds of things to do and it's hard to keep up - in truth, the game is about time management and some of that time is devoted to inventory management - but quickly enough you'll have all these goals to achieve (some set by the game, some set by yourself along the way), and you pray that you don't forget anything.

The game can be played with skill, with ingenuity, clarity of mind and a good memory, but of course, the beauty is that the game doesn't have to be played that way if you'd prefer not to think about it too much.

Linius

Catching all these new bugs is fun. Going Arapaima fishing tonight I guess.

Also caught an evening Cicada at 4pm just now :p

IrishNinja

RIP OT2, you prolly won't live to see tomorrow~

time for bed...dear moblins, know that your statue is now peeing on a fussy gyroid. smells like justice

This morning I saw a blue bubble on the AC icon so I went to the HHA to check it out.

tumblr_mp9gcav2i51sukkejo1_400.jpg

This guy doesn't seem like something Nintendo would send out via SpotPass, but the blue bubble and my lack of tags make me believe it can't have been from anything else.

Totakeke

By Isabelle's office?

:D

I put it near the train station in the end.

If there's any consolation, here's some pictures of Isabelle being an adorable cutie puppy.

tumblr_mp9gyusw5R1sw6f1ro1_400.jpg

tumblr_mp9gzzO7s51sw6f1ro1_400.jpg

Need to learn the dance emote fast and ask Isabelle to build public work projects just to have an excuse to dance with her. Oh yeah.

Einbroch

Banned
My suggestion: keep at it, for a couple more days at least.

I also wondered the same thing when I first started (my first AC experience) - and I would've probably sought reassurance from GAF as well had I not been banned at the time.

But once you've got the hang of the basics and got your approval rating to 100% (shouldn't take more than 2 days), suddenly you have hundreds of things to do and it's hard to keep up - in truth, the game is about time management and some of that time is devoted to inventory management - but quickly enough you'll have all these goals to achieve (some set by the game, some set by yourself along the way), and you pray that you don't forget anything.

The game can be played with skill, with ingenuity, clarity of mind and a good memory, but of course, the beauty is that the game doesn't have to be played that way if you'd prefer not to think about it too much.

Will do. It's not like this game's gonna plummet in value anyway, so I might as well stick it out a little longer.

Maybe I'll do a 180 like I did on games like Demon's Souls.

Yeah, laughing at someone who doesn't share the popular opinion and not offering one of your own.

Fuck OTs. They're seriously the worst, it's why I rarely venture into one unless it's to say "dis game is 10/10"

Alright. In which case that'll be a request to trade for that with someone then. The guide says it is only on the Club Tortimer island and I don't want to go through the hassle of messing around with that.

Sounds good. I know the Katana costs a lot to order so I'll pay you the bells to cover the ordering cost on that.

Ordered the stuff and it should be here in about 1 hour 40. Delivery at 5, right?

The katana cost 44k to order and the chair was 6k

Roto13

I can't find one of my fossils.

I wonder if I can go to my own dream town and decimate all of my trees looking for it.
Just picked this up last night, and...

I don't understand. Is this all there is to the game? This is just like a charming version of all those F2P iPhone management games. It's like Harvest Moon without the farming or Rune Factory without combat or farming.

I mean, it may open up later, but I feel like I've been playing this game for the past few years on my phone. I've never played an Animal Crossing, either.

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom