• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime character designs over the years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grzi

I doubt that they have more than a passing interest in animes if they are.

Probably.

Yes and?

Overall I feel the switch to digital made anime lose a lot of it's appeal.

I feel at least back then people put some love into the craft.

Sure perhaps they do too these days, but my overall feeling it's that's far, far less.

So, to you, DBZ and Hokuto no Ken look better than this, this or this? (I know the last one is technically cheating since it's a movie, but the idiotic image everyone keeps quoting unfairly compares old OVAs to new TV shows so what the hell)

Also, take a look at this and tell me anime nowadays look bad.

EdreyV

Neo Member
almost nothing beats Osamu Tezukas style for me

tezuka.jpg

What are some current animes with different styles? Pretty much every anime I have watched in the past 5-6 years have all had that squeaky clean look. I do enjoy Naruto, but it really looks like every anime I watch looks very similar to it. Even Bleach etc

Grzi

Yeah to me it's not just an argument about advances in technology. Obviously everything will look "slicker" and "crisper" these days.

There's nothing gritty about that image, also, no shading whatsoever, but somehow you like it?
Did you even take a look at one of the videos I posted for you?

jmdajr

There's nothing gritty about that image, also, no shading whatsoever, but somehow you like it?
Did you even take a look at one of the videos I posted for you?

Where did I say I liked it? I mean I don't hate it, it's classic.

Perhaps what I like is nothing but that now.

What are some current animes with different styles? Pretty much every anime I have watched in the past 5-6 years have all had that squeaky clean look. I do enjoy Naruto, but it really looks like every anime I watch looks very similar to it. Even Bleach etc

Don't know about still running series, but last year's Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine looked quite a bit different

LupinThird.png

nynt9

This pic sums it up pretty well:

Anime design has gotten a lot simpler and doesn't really interest me anymore. It feels like the older style of anime had characters, while the newer style has caricatures. Plus the way that so much anime has gone "moe" to pander to otakus (see the pic above) is another good summation of what is wrong with anime.

The cherry picking in that image is insane. Also you clearly only know of good anime from the past and are unaware of good contemporary anime.

jmdajr

The cherry picking in that image is insane. Also you clearly only know of good anime from the past and are unaware of good contemporary anime.

I don't know if it's the type of thing that people just "got out" of anime, but the industry obviously did things to turn former fans off from it.

It's the perception that anime is nothing but moe and cheap by the numbers tv shows.

The selling of the product is much different.

So said former fan or disgruntled fan might be wrong in saying there is "nothing" of interest, but they didn't get to where they are at just out of a magical whim.

It's the perception that anime is nothing but moe and cheap by the numbers tv shows.

But it really looks like that, at least to me. I mean things like Tamayura are not really about photography, but about "cute girls doing cute things".
There are quite a lot of shows who just try to do this.
Or the ecchi-harem shows.

Those two kinda overshadow the really good anime. I mean when Aku no Hana was airing, everyone was pissed, that it doesnt use the manga-artstyle (which looks great) but rotoscope. The same people then watch shows like ToLoveRu.

It maybe a generational-gap. I mean I started Anime about... 1993, when a german TV-channel started airing those. And manga about 1998, when german publishers started really pushing it.
Then about maybe 2003/2004 a lot of people got into anime, because DBZ.
And then like 2007/2008, when the internet became kinda standard for everyone a new group of people joined.

And it seems the "newer" fans like those ecchi/moe-things, while, in my experience, the older ones like the anime me or hosannainexcelsis posted more.

People should watch Kaiji first and then watch Akagi was a tension reliever.

Would be good to learn the general mahjong rules though before watching Akagi.

I wish Zero would get an anime-adaption. Its far more fast-paced than Kaiji or Akagi.

Glad somebody created this thread. A friend and I have been talking about the differences between anime now and anime when we came up in the 80's, and it's frustrating.
Anime now is too wimpy. There are too many children. Most anime no longer respect 'The Intro' sequence.

I think this is why Attack on Titan is so popular. It has All of the attributes of the anime I would've loved growing up.

Lijik

Sorry to go against the grain, but I think that crazy 90's style is FUCKING AWESOME. Things actually were expressive and zany. it was really the Japanese equivalent of what Ren and Stimpy begat in the West.
lupin_nostradamus1.png

Speaking of lupin and zaniness, theres the pink jacket series from '85 which has some of my favorite unhinged animation in anime

L16-17.png

Grzi

I don't know if it's the type of thing that people just "got out" of anime, but the industry obviously did things to turn former fans off from it.

The selling of the product is much different.

So said former fan or disgruntled fan might be wrong in saying there is "nothing" of interest, but they didn't get to where they are at just out of a magical whim.

Nowadays people have access to more shows, since most shows are crap (as it is in any other medium) older anime fans (that had their anime cherry picked by other people and mostly only the good stuff translated) will dismiss newer anime shows because they only see what they want to see and it's easier to be an elitist prick than to actually try and find good stuff.
There was bad stuff before and there is bad stuff now, there was good stuff before, and there is good stuff now, I'd say even more so.
The only thing that seems to be dying out is 2d mecha animation, but we'll see about that, there's still hope, and that only started happening like 2 years ago or something.

Mael

I don't know. The movies are timeless but the style is in the past, just look at Snow White

And Rapunzel

Both are good but honestly I prefer Rapunzel, she looks alive and funny, SW looks like those porcelain figurines in grandma's house.

WTF is wrong with this thread?

jmdajr

Nowadays people have access to more shows, since most shows are crap (as it is in any other medium) older anime fans (that had their anime cherry picked by other people and mostly only the good stuff translated) will dismiss newer anime shows because they only see what they want to see and it's easier to be an elitist prick than to actually try and find good stuff.
There was bad stuff before and there is bad stuff now, there was good stuff before, and there is good stuff now, I'd say even more so.
The only thing that seems to be dying out is 2d mecha animation, but we'll see about that, there's still hope, and that only started happening like 2 years ago or something.

Yeah that's exactly what I am. Now I've solved everything.

Usobuko

Banned
Even when you look solely at Japan's Mangaka, there are many artists across the board that has distinguishable character design which are eye-pleasing most of the times.

Takehiko Inoue - REAL, Slam Dunk, Vagabond
Kentaro Miura - Beserk
Hiroaki Samura - Blade of the Immortal
Hiroki Endo - Eden, Endo Hiroki Tanpenshuu
Makoto Yukimura - Vinland Saga
Junji Ito - Gyo
Katsuhiro Otomo - Akira
Masasumi Kakizaki - Rainbow, Green Blood
Yugo Yuuki - Akumetsu
Norihiro Yagi - Claymore

etc.

The best part is it's only a rather small subset consisting of 'seinen' action manga and all ( or most of them ) are active in recent times. Generic character designs simply kill immersion for me.

massoluk

Banned
Glad somebody created this thread. A friend and I have been talking about the differences between anime now and anime when we came up in the 80's, and it's frustrating.
Anime now is too wimpy. There are too many children. Most anime no longer respect 'The Intro' sequence.

I think this is why Attack on Titan is so popular. It has All of the attributes of the anime I would've loved growing up.

Christ. Animes then and now ain't all that much different. There are plenty of truly terrible animes in the '80, they just never made it to the US. With the internet, people get everything and now think school of little highshool kids came out of no where.

Grzi

Christ. Animes then and now ain't all that much different. There are plenty of truly terrible animes in the '80, they just never made it to the US. With the internet, people get everything and now think school of little highshool kids came out of no where.

Exactly.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Character designs aren't really the problem with anime today. They're more fundamentally pleasing and much more consistently animated than they've ever been.

The problem's that the industry ratio of prominent young girl main cast members to prominent non-young girl main cast members has has become way, way, wayyyyyyyyyy overloaded onto the former side.

"But anime has always had cute girls!" misses the point. It has, but by and large they were there as a treat, not as the main course. Now you can't throw a coin without hitting a dozen shows where males don't even exist outside of occasional background noise.

Shouta

I stumbled across this picture, and while it is a sweeping generalization, I did notice some interesting points.

http://sociorocketnewsen.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/chart.jpg

Also this:

http://sociorocketnewsen.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/e5f05f83.jpg

I think it's pretty interesting that a lot of artists conform to a certain style given the decade. I suppose someone this is a bandwagon case, where one artist is successful and the others try to emulate that success. It may have to do with the genre and what aspect of anime fandom is particularly popular at the time.

I personally really enjoy character designs in 80s anime, though the hair is noticeably... 80s. What do you think about the evolution of a the stereotypical anime look? Do you have a favorite era? Favorite style? Down with moe? DISCUSS.

70s and 2000s for me.

90s looks the worse.

Don't care for the others.

That 90's version is pretty messed up looking.

90's ain't a good look fam.

Haha, the '90s example is hilarious.

The 90s image is the worst one because they chose the worst example. the Saber Marionette J style was jank as fuck when it was airing too, lol. Though to be fair, that was only really in the promotional art. The eyes and faces aren't that weird in the show.

But the terrible anime in the 80s e.g. was a totally different genre, that some people may have enjoyed. SciFi/Gore-Anime.

Nowadays a lot of them are really those slice of life anime (I love slice of life), that is centered around some girls doing boring stuff. I liked Aria and Hidamari Sketch, but things like Tamayura are just plain boring (imo).
And you have a lot of shows that try to copy the success of K-On and that is why the market is overrun by those.

Or compare the ecchi-anime of the 80s/90s/early 00s with the stuff you have now. You have girls in sexual poses, "orgasmic" juices, implied sexual actions and such stuff. I would think its okay if the topics would be dealt with in an adult way, but thats sadly not the case.
Especially incest-anime.

On the one hand you have Koi-Kaze, which tries to deal with it in an adult-way. Then you have Oreimo or ToLoveRu.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory is still the best produced anime I have ever seen and it's from 91 I think.

Holy shit it looks so goood, the story and characters might be total ass but visually, it's quite the spectacle.

Prepare for maximum size

Effect

80s designs will always be the best to me. Followed by the 70s. Stuff form that era is insanely detailed. I didn't mind 90s designs because designs like show in the example tended to be in shows I believe that were really up-beat so they actually fit. At least the shows I remember watching that used it and it wasn't for every character. The 2000s were nice but the designs seem like a throw back to the 80s but with less detail. The 10s are what I have a problem with (and later 00s) to be honest. To many shows where character seem like they have the same face. This is of course when animation is at its best. There is still crap animation and design regardless of the era.

Wanted to see the new Lupin series. How bad was it?

Usobuko

Banned
Those two kinda overshadow the really good anime. I mean when Aku no Hana was airing, everyone was pissed, that it doesnt use the manga-artstyle (which looks great) but rotoscope. The same people then watch shows like ToLoveRu.

I have exceptionally high praise for Mushishi's director ( the same guy for AnH even though I didn't watch that ). The manga is already in its own tier and the anime outdid it. One of the rare few, if not non-existant, example where the original source is soundly triumphed.

Narag

Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory is still the best produced anime I have ever seen and it's from 91 I think.

Holy shit it looks so goood, the story and characters might be total ass but visually, it's quite the spectacle.

Prepare for maximum size

Episode 10 was godly animation. Best experienced alone though unless wants to hear about the pritag's defining characteristic as refusing to eat his carrots.

I wish The Skull Man got more love from those longing for manime days too.

Yes and?

Overall I feel the switch to digital made anime lose a lot of it's appeal.

I feel at least back then people put some love into the craft.

Sure perhaps they do too these days, but my overall feeling it's that's far, far less.

Love went into DBZ? All of those training scenes sure did have some "love."

Linkhero1

It's kind of unfair. A lot of anime vary from one another in design and art style so I wouldn't treat them the same. I enjoy a bunch of designs from all of those decades.

Superflat

I don't mind that designs got more simplified. The more flat look is the current trend, and it'll be even more different a few years from now.

Animation in television series today are on average much more impressive than they have been in generations past. This season has plenty of shows with great quality animation (Coppelion, Kill la Kill, Kyoukai no Kanata, Kyousogiga, Monogatari Season 2).

And much of the improved animation is probably due to less of a focus on things like shading and details. In place of that they have a much cleaner look, which I like. I'm a sucker for line/contour art and things like that to begin with though :p

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It still cracks me up how every anime girl stares at the camera with her mouth open like she's catching flies.

Also lol @ that chart bitching about the lack of hyper-exaggerated shading

Loxley

It still cracks me up how every anime girl stares at the camera with her mouth open like she's catching flies.

Also lol @ that chart bitching about the lack of hyper-exaggerated shading

The fact that the creator tries to make a point by comparing well drawn anime from the 80's to He-man (a completely rushed cartoon made solely for the purpose of promoting the toys) and Rugrats (where the simplistic design and omission of shadows was a deliberate stylistic choice, since the show was aimed at 5-7 year-olds) tells me all I need to know, really.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Hahaha that chart is the most moronic weeaboo shit I've seen in ages.

Guess what, when you add shading, you're going to lose animation quality. You can't have both unless you don't care about money and time. Which is why the majority of the shaded examples are from OVAs.

I love when people use DBZ as an example of how great anime used to be when it looked like shit 70% of the time and had the worst pacing to ever grace the medium.

I guess now we have Attack on Titan for those people to latch onto now.

There's just too many ''cute girls doing cute things'' shows now for those manly men craving manly anime. 47 anime are airing this season and 4 or 5 fall into that 'cute' category. Totally equates to a majority.

Jakten

This pic sums it up pretty well:

Big Anime Comparison Image

Anime design has gotten a lot simpler and doesn't really interest me anymore. It feels like the older style of anime had characters, while the newer style has caricatures. Plus the way that so much anime has gone "moe" to pander to otakus (see the pic above) is another good summation of what is wrong with anime.

Japanese animators approach animation differently generally. Japanese Animation is more focused on graphical quality where as North American animation is more focuses on animation quality. Even some of the best animated anime is fairly basic for the most part and is usually just touched up pose to pose animation. So it isn't really fair to compare them. Modern anime for the most part has sacrificed the detailed style for slightly better animation. This image is also kind of picking some of the best examples of the 80s and worst of the 90-00s. In the past few years I'd say the quality of anime has picked up quite a bit in terms of style an especially animation though. Studio 4°C for example does both graphic and animation quality really well.

That said I prefer the 70s and 80s anime style as well for the most part. It was less abstract and felt like it had more character. Look at someone like Toriyama even, his older style was incredibly expressive and alive and around DBZ time it just died. It lost all it's wackiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom