• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime from the 80's and 90's were the best. Look here for some recommendations.

Rydeen

Edit: And also Megazone 23 ... All 3 parts :)
Next to Project A-Ko, Megazone 23 just might be the most 80's anime of all time, and that's saying something!

tumblr_mypzs7ZnNu1s40tcxo1_500.png

Jaeger

My personal recommendations;

Fight! Iczer One
Dangaioh
Detonator Orgun
Iczer Reborn
Gunbuster
Hades Project Zeorymer
The King of Braves GaoGaiGar
MD Geist

jstripes

Banned
Along with Kimagure Orange Road, one of my favorites from the period was Bubblegum Crisis. Just got a new Blu-ray release, too.

I also really liked Here is Greenwood.

Edit: And also Megazone 23 ... All 3 parts :)

Here is Greenwood was pretty amazing.

The tone of those kind of shows was so different back then, before it was distilled into pure formulaic moe bullshit.

Well this thread seals it, I'm going to start to get my old collection back together. I'm guessing this is going to be expensive but the nostalgia high should be worth it.

Pyrrhus

Very little of what you've said here makes any kind of sense. Your argument appears to be that during the 80's Japan was running on ill defined magic power which some how, in some unspecified manner, made their anime better in some unexplained manner.

Nonsense.

The ill-defined magic power was the bubble economy. They were flush with money and eager to spend it on luxuries, they were happy, they getting out into the world at large and competing and experiencing things and were perceived to be punching well above their weight. Japan was the second biggest economy in the world and absolutely dwarfed their traditional rivals China and Korea. The Economic Miracle of the sixties had not yet curdled into the Lost Decades. You can't discount the importance of zeitgeist here. Of course, it was all built on an unstable foundation that eventually collapsed, but it made for some really good anime and video games at the time.

The Japan of today has been wracked by twenty years of economic stagnation, has major demographic and quality of life issues related to that, China and South Korea are eating their lunch economically and in terms of international stature, and the people of the nation understandably aren't feeling as bullish as they were back in the '80s. They're turned far more inward in terms of their pursuits and ambitions. They're not having kids, their young adults are struggling to find work and establish households of their own, they're not spending as much money on luxuries and entertainment, and so those markets have come to be dominated by the few people who will continue to spend on expensive luxuries. In the case of anime, we're talking otaku. Unfortunately, a particular type of otaku.

I'm not saying that they can't still make good stuff today or that they don't. I'm just saying I think more of the stuff they made back then is stuff I would consider to be good or at least intriguing. I'm saying on average, the economic and cultural conditions that made anime such a breath of fresh air to the rest of the world in the '80s and '90s are no longer there. They make different, frankly cheaper stuff for a different internal market and that stuff appeals to fewer people here in their secondary, international market. (Plus, the West has taken no small influence from anime and manga and stepped up their game at the same time.) There is something different about the stuff they made back then, that's really all I'm saying.

manfestival

1407810689593.gif

The golden age, when they drew their vehicles/mechs and it looked glorious

Robotech is what truly got me into anime. Seeing that macross plus(I believe) gif is so glorious. I get sad knowing that I used to watch shows where everything was animated compared to the 3d crap we get now. It is almost depressing at times.

Atenhaus

For me, the pinnacle of late 80s/early 90s near future anime for me was Patlabor -- especially the movies. The simple fact that Mamoru Oshii directed and Kenji Kawai produced the soundtrack makes for a simply kickass movie, but the art design by Hajime Katoki combined with that buttery smooth high budget animation just... it makes the movies absolutely wonderful.

FfWPE9N.gif

2cv3FIz.gif

Pf2YTxa.gif

This two minute clip captures the mood of the second movie very, very well. It also has dat wonderful ethereal Kawai vibe to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dmlwhaEEgE

Instro

There was a lot of well animated garbage in 80s and 90s, i.e. some of the stuff mentioned in the OP. Some of it is downright shit that would be a slideshow these days. Still a great era though, as were the previous and succeeding eras.

John Blade

Some good 80s and 90s anime on the list below which need to watch if you have the chance.

Gundam-0080-Banner.jpg

Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket

vision-of-escaflowne-featured.jpg

Escaflowne

iriakneel.gif

Iria-Zeiram The Animation

vlcsnap-2612075.png

GunSmith Cats

tylerpost.gif

The Iresponsible Captain Tylor

Nadia.jpg

Nadia The Secret of Blue Water

Some good 80s and 90s anime on the list below which need to watch if you have the chance.

vlcsnap-2612075.png

GunSmith Cats

Came to say this one. Will also double up to recommend Ranma 1/2 and Maison Ikkoku wholeheartedly. Also, if you like cyberpunky stuff, Armitage III isn't awful.

Here are some of my favorites that havent been mentioned.

Vampire Hunter D:

Bloodlust5.jpg

Battle Angel:

51G7WZ7MP0L.jpg

Armitage III:

2857.jpg

a bunch of my other favs have already been named like patlabor, akira, macross, gunsmith cats..etc. I really only watched anime until the late 90s. Since then I really haven't watched much as nothing has really been too interested. I usually just rewatch old OVA's or films from these series.

JLynn

Co-sign on Bubblegum Crisis. Best kickstarter backing I've done. It looks great on bluray.

Another awesome anime is Riding Bean. Dat soundtrack tho!.

Prototype

Man this thread is taking me back to my child hood. Vampire Hunter D was my first one morning on scifi. After that it was downhill lol. Seen most of the mentions in this thread , good stuff.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Record of Lodoss War

nmxp1Exl.jpg

Such a great show and character design. I wish anime would stop using the same character designs over and over again, make new one's and maybe use some older designs like i.e. Record of Lodoss War. What a waste.

Anyway back to topic

Tenchi Muyo

cWEk2g6.jpg

Trigun

zoGpqch.jpg

Slayers

hmnEYml.jpg

Cowboy Bebop

522gYcg.jpg

Berserk

XAlZnSh.jpg

Kidou Senkan Nadesico (Martian Successor Nadesico)

9wfQ2KN.jpg

Ghost in the Shell

4JqLsb3.jpg

Damn, how the fuck were Yu Yu Hakusho and the original Dragonball not mentioned in the first page let alone the op? Apparently not on this page either.

Jackpot

Banned
What....disgust?!

From the protagonist saying he doesn't take orders from a woman to his buddy saying if he wants a woman he needs to rape her to a female officer being told to act more like a woman by several different characters, yes, disgust.

Not to mention that terrible idol's songs.

Top Bottom