• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime from the 80's and 90's were the best. Look here for some recommendations.

Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma (aka Curse of the Undead: Yoma) [1989]

Not sure how popular this one is but I always liked it. Haunting atmosphere, depressing story, gory, gritty animation.

hvboUYJ.jpg

3Cm3M7l.jpg

GDGF

Soothsayer
Good taste, OP.

517oH7UmjOL._SY445_.jpg

One that gets overshadowed but is seriously worth tracking down is Crusher Joe. Released in the early 80's, it pretty much laid the groundwork for every non-mech sci-fi adventure series of the 80's and 90's. Written and created by the author / creator of the Dirty Pair and directed by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko who did the character designs for the original Gundam and directed some of the best episodes. Total throwback to classic pulpy sci-fi adventures with space pirates, sexy girls, horny robots, tough talking cyborg co-pilots and danger around every corner. If you like Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop or heck, even Guardians of the Galaxy, Crusher Joe should be watched immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiDB8pIayQ0

Gonna watch this one right now! Looks pretty awesome.

cj_iwakura

El-Hazard: The Magnificent World(OVA) is truly fantastic. One of the best endings to any series ever.

And The Wanderers ruined it by turning Ifurita into a ditz.

piggychan

I really like the magical girl transformations stuff, apart from sailor moon I also enjoyed the following shows:

Creamy Mami show and Tonde Boorin series.
mahou_no_tenshi_creamy_mami_177474.jpg

I hope someday this will get a translation...
Super%2BPig.jpg

Cardcaptor sakura and Fushigu Yuugi are also huge favourites of mine.
cardcaptor-sakura_00347680.png

fushigiyuugi1.jpg

Will Ulysses 31 also count as anime? It's a collaboration between french and japanese studios and also another show I am a big fan of.
th

I really like the magical girl transformations stuff, apart from sailor moon I also enjoyed the following shows:

Creamy Mami show and Tonde Boorin series.
mahou_no_tenshi_creamy_mami_177474.jpg

I hope someday this will get a translation...
Super%2BPig.jpg

Cardcaptor sakura and Fushigu Yuugi are also huge favourites of mine.
cardcaptor-sakura_00347680.png

fushigiyuugi1.jpg

Will Ulysses 31 also count as anime? It's a collaboration between french and japanese studios and also another show I am a big fan of.
th

oh i love this genre when was younger

would you know of this anime where the protagonist was a lil princess and she had a scepter and could change costumes / disguises to solve the episodes? her father is stocky and chubby and the king.

it was super cute amg

Moe-blobs.

You know, Kantai Collection. Strike (Pantsu) Witches.

In the 80's those would have been really cool ships. Now, they're just anthropomorphized into ... blobs. And they sell. Shows you where the market has gone. :-/

Kancolle and Strike Witches have their fans but the thing is there are more anime getting released nowadays than at any other time, with this season having around 40 anime starting alone. Of course not everything available will be to everyone's taste but you should find at least one or two that you want to follow.

Also to counter that last point of yours, anthropomorphising mecha has been a thing in anime for a while. Gundam's MS Girls started in the 80's after all!

GDGF

Soothsayer
Crusher Joe is rad.

Anybody got any more recommendations similar to it (besides Venus Wars)

Series or OVA will do.

- Anything by Osamu Dezaki.
- World Masterpiece theater series. 'Meisaku' series are what I miss the most in the current anime landscape, the last series I would remotely associate to this genre being Fantastic Children and Patapata Hikosen no Boken ? (Nadja also, maybe)
- Dirty Pair Project Eden. Koichi Mashimo was god-tier when he worked on full-feature movies, his talent has vanished since then.
- Yoshikazu Yasuhiko has have an interesting (but short lived) career as a director at the time; Arion, Venus Wars, Kaze to Ki no Uta and Crushed joe are must watch.
- omnibus movies : Manie Manie, Robot Carnival
- Sherlock Hound
- Lupin III : the first three series, Mamo and Fuma's conspiracy. At this point I assume that everybody has seen Cagliostro (which is a good Miazaki movie but a bad Lupin movie if you are more interested in Monkey Punch's original vision of the character, free from Miyazaki's heavy re-interpretation)
- The Galaxy Express first two movies; Harlock - Arcadia of my youth.
- Kamui no ken for filling my list with another Rintaro movie

I can probably think of another 40 or 50 good ones if I have some time.

Also, Beautiful Dreamer isn't the alpha and the omega of Oshii's involvement in Urusei Yatsura. Can't believe the number of people who watch it and never watch the other movies - or the TV series, and miss some clever Oshii and/or Kazunori Ito crazyness.

Way more ancient but for the love of the gods people, WATCH DOUBUTSU TAKARAJIMA.

Ninja Scroll, yay. Ninja Resurrection, eww.

All they way up to 1999 is not cheating right? Checking thread search I couldn't find...

The Hakkenden
Spriggan
Perfect Blue
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
X (Movie) (actually, it was terrible)
Shadow Skill (Kind of a personal favorite. I have some cels of this.)
Now and Then, Here and There
Ayane's High Kick (Only 2 eps)
Jubei-chan: The Ninja Girl
Some Ghibli

I also couldn't find Fushigi Yûgi in a search but that is obviously a mistake.

EDIT - Oh yeah, Kurogane Communication.

EDIT 2 - And Eat-Man. I have brought shame to myself.

DocSeuss

Legit surprised we're four pages in without a single mention of Evangelion.

Incorrect. Modern anime looks better, has better characters and stories, better music, and is so much cuter!

I don't get it. Modern anime put me off in part because it's obsessed with this sort of pointless, saccharine cuteness, where older anime was just plain sweet when it was being cute. Part of the reason I gave up anime has been the massive increase in really, really crappy, rote, poorly-written stories and characters. I don't think anime has ever had storytelling as good as it did in the late-90s.

Dahbomb

Surprised to see no mention of Bastard.

Bastard.jpg

Shame it was discontinued... like most of the stuff mentioned in this thread.

Subitai

In general, everybody should just check out everything Yoshiaki Kawajiri has made, he's directed pretty much everything that's awesome, like Wicked City, Demon City Shinjuku, Ninja Scroll, Cyber City Oedo, Goku Midnight Eye, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, etc. He's got such a great eye for sexy visuals. His segment The Running Man from Neo Tokyo is a short format masterpiece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaIM4OOZB_A

This!

I so want him back in the game to do another Ninja Scroll.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I feel at home in this thread. Thanks, OP.

I cannot view all the replies now but my recommendations are:

Lady Oscar: Rose of Versailles,
Space Adventure Cobra,
Memories,
Serial Experiments Lain,
Vampire Hunter D movies,
Rurouni Kenshin: Trust&Betrayal
X-1999 Tv series
Ganbare Genki
There's the live action film that came out recently for Rurounik Kenshin based on the show. Gaf had a thread too, but I'm too lazy to dig it up.

FUME5

Aw man, back when anime was shorthand for adult animation, and not moe garbage.

I'd kill for something in the vein of Cybercity Oedo.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Patlabor's the best.

As someone who prefers 80s/90s anime in general and who hadn't seen any Bubblegum Crisis until recently, I was actually pretty disappointed by it.

I watched it for the first time a month ago and felt it kind of petered out after the first few episodes, which were really strong / hella '80s (in a fun way). I still like it, but it's not really the classic I was hoping for.

Squishy3

Yeah there totally isn't good anime made after the 80s and 90s OP, you're absolutely right.

1501590.jpg

One of the best sports anime/manga available with one of the most well-rounded and hilarious supporting casts ever.

Great band drama, albeit somewhat bogged down with teenage romance but the cast is pretty good and the song performances are amazing. Unfortunately, the Funimation version replaces one of the more impactful moments in the series with an original song because it involves a cover of "I've Got a Feeling" by the Beatles, and obviously the original song is nowhere near as good. Sadly does not finish the entire storyline and is unlikely to be finished in a new series.

The_Girl_Who_Leapt_Through_Time_poster.jpg

Brought to you by Mamoru Hosoda, the director behind Digimon The First Movie and is just a great movie all around and the title kind of speaks for itself, along with wonderful art direction and good animation.

Also directed by Mamoru Hosoda, just going to copy-paste the wikipedia description as I can't put it into my own words at this time:

The film tells the story of Kenji Koiso, a timid eleventh-grade math genius who is taken to Ueda by twelfth-grade student Natsuki Shinohara to celebrate her great-grandmother's 90th birthday. However, he is falsely implicated in the hacking of a virtual world by a sadistic artificial intelligence named Love Machine. Kenji must repair the damage done to it and find a way to stop the rogue computer program from causing any further damage.

And to complete the Hosoda trilogy, the Wolf Children Ame and Yukki, a tale of a mother who falls in love with a wolfman, who passes away, and she ends up saddled with the massive responsibility of raising 2 wolf children without her husband's help. Wonderful story with amazing art-direction and animation.

...and I just realized everything I've listed has been animated by Madhouse, and to keep with that line of thinking, HEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE'S REDLINE!

redline.jpg

A completely hand-drawn high octane anime movie that took seven years to make and has some of the most impressive animation ever, along with an amazing OST composed by James Shimoji. No really good plot here, just sit back, kick up the volume and enjoy the visual feast. This is the one most everyone who liked 80s/90s stuff will enjoy.

Oh, going to include the Satoshi Kon stuff too. Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paranoia Agent (series) and Paprika are all worth checking out, along with the short he completed before he died, Good Morning.

But anyway, carry on with the narrative that 80s-90s anime is awesome and anything released after isn't as good. Like anything, you have to wade through the shit to find the good stuff. If you think anime is now lacking, I'd at least recommend giving these a look at.

1407810689593.gif

tumblr_mhhz3eWAcJ1rjhn1to1_500.gif

The golden age, when they drew their vehicles/mechs and it looked glorious

No nostalgia needed. Anime from the 80s and 90s was terrific. A guy at work was telling me how much he loved Ghost in the Shell Arise, and never saw the original. I told him the original shits all over Arise.

Legit surprised we're four pages in without a single mention of Evangelion.

I'm legit surprised too. Evangelion has A LOT of flaws, but despite them manages to still be an amazing anime. It's in my top five if for no other reason than it's art style. I'm not a giant robo type of guy normally, but goddamn those mech designs are fantastic. More than fantastic, iconic.

4d8a9a3f-ec7b-42dd-a5db-d1fb383b968b_zpsua1arffi.png

kaiju

Great to see some love for Cybercity Oedo 808, and I just want to say that right now you can score the DVD for under 5 bucks on Amazon. Well worth it indeed.

Other recommendations:

Hades Project Zeorymer

tumblr_n918owjMt71rjxyrgo8_250.gif

Hyper Psychic Geo Garaga

3329.jpg

Amon Saga

amon2.jpg

Detonator Orgun

tumblr_mycqtwu2Vp1spjmjdo1_r1_400.gif

Genesis Survivor Gaiarth

sousei-kishi-gaiarth-genesis-survivor-gaiarth-e-d_1.jpg

Metropolis