• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime from the 80's and 90's were the best. Look here for some recommendations.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I feel like a broken record, but anime wasn't better in the 80s and 90s, we just got a highly filtered version of it because there wasn't internet streaming. We pulled back the curtains and saw the old man operating the giant head.

That doesn't make any sense.

So much good shit posted in here, Giant Robo, Royal Space Force, Patlabor, Gunbuster, GITS, some real good shit in here. I wrote a little review for a little film called Do Yo Remember Love, I guess I'll post it here in case anyone is interested in it :)

Well you certainly sold me to go back and rewatch the series. Never watched any of the movies or later series, how do they hold up? Other then Do you Remember Love, of course, since I think you already covered that.

MrChom

Dammit, I want the shading of 80s and 90s anime back! It looked gorgeous. Can't wait for my BRD copy of Wings of Honneamise to arive so I can weep at its visuals and the lack of that stuff in modern anime.

Also if we're doing recommendations I second whoever originally said Ranma, Slayers, Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, and Outlaw Star. Man that's some good TV...oh, and if it's not been said then I also suggest Gundam 0083 and Gundam Wing because I love Gundam series.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That doesn't make any sense.

He's saying today we're aware of everything anime wise, the good and the bad. Back in the past we were reliant on what was imported and thus the gatekeepers only brought in what they thought would sell thus mostly just the good stuff. It gives the skewed impression that in the past we only had good shows whereas now there are suddenly a ton of bad. The real reality is that we were just not aware of the bad stuff back then.

Corpsepyre

Banned
He's saying today we're aware of everything anime wise, the good and the bad. Back in the past we were reliant on what was imported and thus the gatekeepers only brought in what they thought would sell thus mostly just the good stuff. It gives the skewed impression that in the past we only had good shows whereas now there are suddenly a ton of bad. The real reality is that we were just not aware of the bad stuff back then.

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

taimoorh

Shame on everyone for not recommending the best anime to hit in 1999!!!

GREAT TEACHER ONIZUKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NqERZD8.gif

He's the coolest there is!
PfAXNNb.gif

And the best teacher ever, who doesn't discriminate!
UqQz0Q3.jpg

With great life lessons!
1KFUdw2.jpg

I swear if I had seen this anime in highschool, my life would've been much better back then!

cajunator

Banned
I really miss the OVA market.

This is the one thing in this thread that has a truth to it.
This is pretty much what people mean when they say "things used to be better".
OVAs were more prevalent, and shows were not Tv series but mostly a handful of high budget OVA episodes. Of course they would look better when not stretched to 26 episodes.

True. but a lot of people still like this stuff better. I like it, but I'm not hardcore enough to sum up anime eras, I just know what I like and what I don't.

ShinZed

Not enough Dragon Half love in this thread. Only ran two eps, sadly, but was crazy funny.

My other main likes of the time were Dominion Tank Police, Record of Lodoss War and RG Veda.

I love old stuff too, but some of the shit that's being done right now is crazy good too. Some of the animation that's being made at the moment makes me seriously impressed, especially since many of these were done on a really small budget relatively. The integration of CGI has actually been quite a boon for some shows, where it would have taken several times to budget to do things by hand and it still looks fucking awesome.

http://a.pomf.se/nvkdfo.mp4
Kekkai Sensen (airing RIGHT NOW)

http://a.pomf.se/gmppjd.mp4
http://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/5528/animated-background_animation-debris-effects-fight
Tetsuwan Birdy Decode S2 (this scene was the inspiration for the final action scene of Man of Steel)

http://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/14738/animated-debris-effects-explosions-fate-stay_night
http://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/14712/3d_background-animated-cgi-effects-fate-stay_night
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works S1 (airing right now, too)

http://a.pomf.se/fvuluo.mp4
Wasurenagumo (from a couple years ago.)

Very impressive! If only I hadn't totally grown out of action anime. Can't stand the predictable plots, characters, and progression. I can't get into Attack on Titan, only liked DBZ cause of nostalgia, Bleach and Inuyasha were ehh (more my sister's thing), never liked Naruto.

Wasurenagumo looks great, might check that out though.

bodyelectrics

Neo Member
I'm amazed that JoJo hasn't been mentioned yet. While JoJo's Bizarre Adventure isn't a mecha anime I'd highly recommend the anime series that started in 2012 and is still ongoing to people that long for 80s style anime as what's currently being animated was published in manga form in the mid 80s to late 90s and is still very evocative of that era. The first arc is largely horror-supernatural while the later parts mellow out a bit though are still quite gruesome, it doesn't hurt that every major character in the series is cleverly named in reference to 80s hair metal and prog rock acts as well. I've been told that the references extend to other genres in later arcs that haven't yet been animated. Clever viewers might notice a few characters that heavily inspired Street Fighter 2/3rd Strike designs. The entire series up to what is currently airing in Japan is available on CrunchyRoll.

tumblr_nmiqe8OtzQ1thgcq5o4_540.gif

tumblr_nmiqe8OtzQ1thgcq5o1_540.gif

giphy.gif

I'm amazed that JoJo hasn't been mentioned yet. While JoJo's Bizarre Adventure isn't a mecha anime I'd highly recommend the anime series that started in 2012 and is still ongoing to people that long for 80s style anime as what's currently being animated was published in manga form in the mid 80s to late 90s and is still very evocative of that era.

The anime TV series has zero interest for fans of the manga and is much less interesting than the first 93' OVA series. Its only redeeming feature has been helping to popularize Jojo in the West, at long last.

bodyelectrics

Neo Member
The anime TV series has zero interest for fans of the manga and is much less interesting than the first 93' OVA series. Its only redeeming feature has been helping to popularize Jojo in the West, at long last.

oh wow none of this is true based on my own experience

I'm currently watching Stardust Crusaders with a lot of people that are caught up with the manga, and David Production is probably staffed with the biggest JoJo fanboys on the planet.

I'm surprised you even mentioned the OVA honestly.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

This is the first time an animated adaptation of JoJo has followed the manga properly. While the 90s OVA is more appropriate for this thread's subject, it's a bit silly to suggest it as a substitute rather than a complimentary serving seeing as it cuts whole chucks of the story out (let alone if being based on part three only). Lots of people who like the manga are watching the anime adaptation for the same reason fans of other mangas look for to anime adaptation, they like to see their favourite stories animated.

bodyelectrics

Neo Member
The OVA has key animation from Mitsuo Iso ! ;D

Oh cool. I've watched a little bit of it but honestly the animation seemed lacking to me, I'm also not really a fan of the more realistic art style. Once the SDC anime concludes I'll likely go back and watch it all the way through. If you gave up on the anime you should really give it another shot imo. So many shots are scene for scene from the manga.

You might like seeing this as well

Good.gif

GDGF

Soothsayer
The new stuff looks way too clean.

Can anyone recommend modern anime that doesn't look like it was drawn on a tablet? Something with a sketchy aesthetic.

Basically something that looks like it was made by human hands.

(and bonus points for muted colors and a grim setting)

TAFK

Someone recommend me some good mecha animes from this era. I've never seen any of them surprisingly, apparently when I was younger I was way more focused on the fighting/action adventure oriented ones.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Crappy anime has always been around. The difference being that in the 80's/90's since western distributors were tied to a physical format they had to pick and choose what to localize. Now everything is available instantly so the impression is that it's gone to shit. I do prefer the old school drawing style though.

Loona

Can anyone recommend modern anime that doesn't look like it was drawn on a tablet? Something with a sketchy aesthetic.

Someone recommend me some good mecha animes from this era. I've never seen any of them surprisingly, apparently when I was younger I was way more focused on the fighting/action adventure oriented ones.

Can I interest you in some Ideon?

VOTOMs was also mentioned in this thread, and I'd also recommend it on both categories.

For something light at the end of the 90s, Dai Guard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EHmbrK8KZI

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

Hmm, how about Xam'd - Lost Memories (Bounen no Xamdou) ?
It's like a Ghibli movie but as a tv series.

xamd_lost_memories_506_1680.jpg

Theonik

Crappy anime has always been around. The difference being that in the 80's/90's since western distributors were tied to a physical format they had to pick and choose what to localize. Now everything is available instantly so the impression is that it's gone to shit. I do prefer the old school drawing style though.
I wouldn't say that. Western distributors were better at bringing trash over in the past before they drove themselves out of the business by dropping huge amounts of money in it.
Entire Japanese studios grew in that era by milking western distributors, until they went bust with the western distributors.
Since then western licensors became more conservative with regard to what they release but digital distribution has allowed more shows to be inexpensively released to the west.

Although, the real change is not digital distribution. It's internet access and piracy which allowed a much greater portion of content to be viewed by more people.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I wouldn't say that. Western distributors were better at bringing trash over in the past before they drove themselves out of the business by dropping huge amounts of money in it.
Entire Japanese studios grew in that era by milking western distributors, until they went bust with the western distributors.
Since then western licensors became more conservative with regard to what they release but digital distribution has allowed more shows to be inexpensively released to the west.

Although, the real change is not digital distribution. It's internet access and piracy which allowed a much greater portion of content to be viewed by more people.

I don't doubt anything you're saying. But I think exposure levels have definitely played a role here. If my only exposure to Japanese animation as a kid was my friends VHS copy of Ninja scroll, Akira and and Ghost in the Shell, inevitably I'm going to think anime is different nowadays when I see 10+ new poorly-drawn moe shows released every year. And those exposure levels were an artifact of scarcity due to internet video being impractical during the 80s/90s.

Theonik

I don't doubt anything you're saying. But I think exposure levels have definitely played a role here. If my only exposure to Japanese animation as a kid was my friends VHS copy of Ninja scroll, Akira and and Ghost in the Shell, inevitably I'm going to think anime is different nowadays when I see 10+ new poorly-drawn moe shows released every year. And those exposure levels were an artifact of scarcity due to internet video being impractical during the 80s/90s.
I am agreeing with you. What I am saying is it was the internet not publishers that brought about this change.

Oh cool. I've watched a little bit of it but honestly the animation seemed lacking to me, I'm also not really a fan of the more realistic art style. Once the SDC anime concludes I'll likely go back and watch it all the way through. If you gave up on the anime you should really give it another shot imo. So many shots are scene for scene from the manga.

You might like seeing this as well

Good.gif

Also, was this an uncredited role? I don't want to dig too deep so as to avoid spoilers for SDC - I don't see anything on his IMDB page referencing him working on the OVA

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0411378/

What OVA did you see ? The 1993 animation is amazing. And yes Mitsuo is credited. Check animenewsnetwork for instance. Its style is easily distinguishable in the final episode.

Subscribed so I can go back through and check out anything I didn't pick up as a teenager. Sorry Bloodborne, not tonight.

Had to buy the dubbed stuff because the subbed was $10 more at Suncoast video.

Jex

The worst part about this period in anime is how it generated so many poorly formatted images. What part of these years left fans without the ability to at least post their unseemly pictures in quote tags?
True. but a lot of people still like this stuff better. I like it, but I'm not hardcore enough to sum up anime eras, I just know what I like and what I don't.

Sure, but you're not comparing like and like.

On one hand you have people looking at all the anime that Japan produced during a time period (say 2000-2009) vs a tiny subset of products that got distribution in the West.

Grzi

A lot of shit being recommended here, as is usually the case with these types of nostalgia fueled threads.
Anime is doing just as good as it did back then, it's just that the most popular shows being recommended by the majority of fans aren't very good (Sword Art Online, Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill etc.) so the real gems don't get the deserved love, but real ninjas know the deal.

Hell, we had a show better than most of the titles being recommended here in 2012 (I'm talking about Hyouka, of course) and another one that comes pretty close to it in 2014 (Ping Pong), not to mention a huge number of other great shows in the last few years.

andymcc

Banned
lmao it's 2015 and people are still repping MD motherfuckin' Geist.

Central Park Media must have cornered a very lucrative niche market in the 90s.

Fjordson

I think the first one is Macross, which one though?
2nd is clearly GITS, and maybe 3rd image is too?
But what are the last 2 GIFs from??? Never saw this in Initial D...

Also, for anyone who loves sci-fi, or even Interstellar, please watch Gunbuster (Top wo Nerae).
XAWUEOl.gif

And that visually cool transition from 80's to 2000's anime art style (which is also dated by today's standards), Diebuster (Top wo Nerae 2).
80DZWeC.gif

Both are also available in Bluray format (Gunbuster vs Diebuster).
So which blu-ray am I looking at if I want to watch the series? Just the Gunbuster vs. Diebuster one? Isn't that a movie?

Top Bottom