• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime is Oversaturated with Adolescence Protagonist. Is there No Room for Young Adult / Midlife Characters?

I find it surprisingly difficult to relate to anime protagonists today.

Now, I've never been one to say I need a character to have to same race or gender to be relatable. But when it came to a character's age, even as a child growing up in the 90s, I've always felt older protagonists in anime, and their progression was more..... tangible and grounded.

If I could speak on western animation for example; Superman, X-men, Thundercats, character with either Young Adults or, in the case of Batman/Bruce Wayne, Midlife, I felt that ”looking up" to those character's as role models were more important then being simply "relatable".

It seems Japanese animation, anime, (and even most Western animation) have lost that older (age 30s-50s) role model character for more age-specific (age 12-19) characters.

Gone of the days of character like Spike from Cowboy Bebop, Kiba from Wolf Rain, or the ensemble cast in Ghost in the Shell.

Today, most anime can be group together as "Kids vs Adults" where adults have 'destroyed or corrupted" the world in some way and kids, with their "free spirit" must save it...in some way.

But I feel that there could be just as much older, Midlife protagonists in anime as much as there are adolescence.

Who are some of your favorite older adult anime main characters?

Last edited:
anime all starring young teens who hate themselves and are afraid of relationships with women/men started in the 90s and i mostly blame Evangelion for that.

I miss the 80s where even if it had teens or young adults they wanted to be adults and went for the older love interest...not the 13 year old.

A612-451621464.1531461045.jpg

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Thoughts on this? @SLoWMoTIoN

I tried to box modern anime in the same way. I may nitpick about the digital art style and excessive use of moe characters; but I do believe there's still some anime with strong adult characters.

Kev Kev

Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo are the only two anime I like, and I think it has a lot to do with the characters being older and the themes/stories being a little more mature.

NahaNago

Yeah, I really would like the characters to at least age up to college age so I don't feel I'm at risk of going to jail when I'm watching some of these anime.

High school (and to a lesser degree college) is seen as the highlight of your life in Japan. After that, it's just working yourself to death at some shitty office job. No wonder there's not much interest in manga and anime about adult life; For most Japanese it sucks balls.

My suggestion is gonna be Mushishi though. It's set in ancient(?) Japan, and follows a travelling doctor who treats people affected by paranormal creatures called "mushi." I'm not sure how old the MC is, but he looks to be in his thirties.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
This is because of the work culture in japan, their best years are literally in high school, everything after that is just to be a good boy salaryman.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

I tried to box modern anime in the same way. I may nitpick about the digital art style and excessive use of moe characters; but I do believe there's still some anime with strong adult characters.
I couldn't relate to protagonists from older eras either so I don't get this thread. I watch or read things to see others not myself. Hell most of the shows I watch (modern) are snail pace and are usually about nothing.

Mistake

There are anime with younger cast which are fairly serious, and not your typical shonen/shojou trash. But if you want stuff with older characters there's.... s-CRY-Ed, Break Blade, Hellsing, Jojo, Outlaw Star, Speed Grapher, Wolf's Rain, Jin-Roh, Vampire Hunter D, A.D. Police
to name a few

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Just watch Kaiji or Akagi or something.

I read some fire trash manga recently that is getting an anime in April I think. Tournament fighter but they're all full grown men either historical figures or gods:

Gotta actually go out and look for these things.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I watch or read things to see others not myself.
What you said there... spot on. Many may think that I'll defend any thread that praises retro anime and down plays modern. I try to discourage dividing between the older and new outside the respective community threads we have for them on GAF. I personally watch anime for the same reason as @SLoWMoTIoN in a way. To me, it's a creative escape from any reality of mine. The fact that new anime is being created gives younger generations a chance to escape their own realities and unlock the creative side of their brain. I'm in 30's and the older I get the more I tend to focus on the artistic experience or joy ride I get from anime.

SirTerry-T

Vinland Saga, Dorohedoro, Golden Kamuy, Run With The Wind, Wave Listen To Me...there have been a few in recent years.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
That I can immediately think of:

The Zone of Enders anime

Coyote Ragtime Show

Cowboy Bebop

Monster (this one is super good imo)

Inuyashiki

One Punch Man

Gangsta

Samurai Champloo

Patlabor

Mushishi

Berserk

Lupin the Third

EDIT: Oh and Gate, I enjoyed Gate.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

The target audience are man children who can't let go of their youth. So it makes sense the protagonists are aged the way they are.
Basically all that needs to be said. The anime fans as a group became more and more insulated as time went on. This is the same as all the jRPGs pondering to loli and waifu crowd.

Last edited:

I couldn't relate to protagonists from older eras either so I don't get this thread. I watch or read things to see others not myself. Hell most of the shows I watch (modern) are snail pace and are usually about nothing.
That understandable, I too watch Batman for example for the same reason. The problem is anime, which is supposed to be more diverse in storytelling and maturer content, has been giving us Avatar: The last Airbender(a good show I might add).

I'm simply questioning why is there more of one age group than another in anime.
What you said there... spot on. Many may think that I'll defend any thread that praises retro anime and down plays modern. I try to discourage dividing between the older and new outside the respective community threads we have for them on GAF. I personally watch anime for the same reason as @SLoWMoTIoN in a way. To me, it's a creative escape from any reality of mine. The fact that new anime is being created gives younger generations a chance to escape their own realities and unlock the creative side of their brain. I'm in 30's and the older I get the more I tend to focus on the artistic experience or joy ride I get from anime.

I think your confusing the OP with Old Anime vs Modern Anime. Im actually seeking Old Protagonists in anime regardless of Era. (And its the problem that's being raised here that reveals many older character can only be found in older anime.

Last edited:

Fbh

Modern anime mostly sucks.
Come read manga instead.

Like Vagabond (it'll never have an ending though so be aware)
58ac03e864fc062564ecc7e33b3f73e8bc8af674v2_hq.jpg

Or Berserk (which might also never get an ending but you'll get to enjoy a couple of chapter every year for as long Miura lives)
cropped-Berserk.png

And 20Th Century Boys (or most stuff by Urasawa really)
9ba3fb64aa5720a5c238dee1e6dcd5ae-1000x600.jpg

And Dorohedoro (which does have an anime adaptation but it's of the ugly Ps2 CGI type and doesn't do the awesome art style justice:
EbOIa4cXkAAb_q3-1-764x1024.jpg

And Planetes (which is quite different and so much better than the anime adaptation)
Planetes-integral.jpg

Codes 208

My favorite anime is DBZ and it starts off with Goku at 22 (not including the OG dragon ball) and by super he’s a grandpa so there’s that.

Sakura

There is plenty of anime with adult characters. There are several shows airing this season with adult characters.
You probably just don't actually follow anime OP, or you are only aware of the most popular stuff, which is generally aimed at a younger demographic/starring younger characters.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
That understandable, I too watch Batman for example for the same reason. The problem is anime, which is supposed to be more diverse in storytelling and maturer content, has been giving us Avatar: The last Airbender(a good show I might add).

There is plenty of anime with adult characters. There are several shows airing this season with adult characters.
You probably just don't actually follow anime OP, or you are only aware of the most popular stuff, which is generally aimed at a younger demographic/starring younger characters.
Nobody watched Sakura Quest.

Last edited by a moderator:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Don’t underestimate My Hero Academia, it has an opportunity to be the best anime ever... Deku isn’t even close to full strength, I just can’t wait till the show is back on Hulu.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
watched a few episodes of dbz super since yesterday & its the first time i watched an anime in like over a decade its pretty funny and vegeta/goku had been grown definitely looked up to those characters as a kid haha

O-N-E

Generally speaking, yeah, youths are overrepresented in anime and it makes sense. Younger people are more open to watching anime and I think writers have an easier time coming up with conflicts for youthful characters that aren't set in their ways as an adult. There's still a decent chunk of good stuff focusing on adults or college-age kids, though. Overall a wider variety to choose from than Western toons. Like you mentioned role models, but your examples are all "caped defenders" or underwear super heroes. A bit of that can go a long way, but it's lame how "oversaturated" the western market is with it.

Another thing worth pointing out is that even though so many of these shows focus on teens / kids, they still don't shy away from subjects that Western cartoons steer clear of (unless they're gag shit like Simpsons / Family Guy, which feel outdated at this point).

Last Airbender was very good. It had a good solid arc. The last good anime I watched.

I was recommended that Attack on Titan show because it's supposedly a mature story. It was just a bunch of nonsense. Of course it's also a bunch of kids fighting stupid shit.

Pejo

Well don't get me wrong because I enjoy anime, but it's primarily made for high school age kids, so that's who you see in the stories. I think if you want to find some stuff with older main characters, just look for "seinen" tags. There's always going to be some great stuff with older casts.

dave_d

Cowboy Bebop
Mushishi
Monster
Berserk
Samurai Champloo

It turns out that it is actually quite rare.
I'll second Monster which is one of my favorites which is also one of the few animes I've seen that doesn't feature magic, monsters/ghosts, aliens, robots/space, or super powers.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
Hellsing Ultimate
Claymore
Gungrave
Overlord
Ergo Proxy
Outlaw Star
Golgo 13
Monster

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Vinland Saga, Dorohedoro, Golden Kamuy, Run With The Wind, Wave Listen To Me...there have been a few in recent years.

Yeah, Dorohedoro and Vinland Saga have been two recent standouts for me. I sympathize with OP though, I've watched a lot of anime over the last ten years or so since my daughter got into it, it's been something we do together, and over the years anything with a high school cast has become a really tough sell for me, there really is a focus on this age group that grows tiresome especially for an old dude like me. But, like has been mentioned, there's a lot of other good stuff out there, you do have to seek it out as it's not always the most popular shows.

SirTerry-T

Yeah, Dorohedoro and Vinland Saga have been two recent standouts for me. I sympathize with OP though, I've watched a lot of anime over the last ten years or so since my daughter got into it, it's been something we do together, and over the years anything with a high school cast has become a really tough sell for me, there really is a focus on this age group that grows tiresome especially for an old dude like me. But, like has been mentioned, there's a lot of other good stuff out there, you do have to seek it out as it's not always the most popular shows.
Your reply is my own "journey" back into anime almost to the letter :)
I started watching it again with my daughter...she's the quiet type and my wife and my other daughter refuse to even try watching it.
I have enough years on the clock to remember the first anime popularity wave so I can identify with some of the points the op is making.
The more adult oriented stuff is out there, you just have to look a bit harder for it.

I can understand why the big production firms stick with what they know is going to sell though.

Jeeves

I'm not usually trying to put myself in the character's shoes when I watch, so I never minded teenage characters too much. But you're right, that is the overwhelming majority of shows, and it's been that way since at least the early 2000s.

It's pretty odd since anime has had a pretty big following for decades now, and there's not really been any effort to target an older demographic at all, which would now include many existing or lapsed anime fans. They won't even take the baby step of putting the characters in college instead of high school.

Top Bottom