• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime - Summer 08 - Show info and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
1stStrike said:
You guys should check out Mnemosyne..it's rather interesting. Multiple groups subbing it, 4/6 eps out so far (each about 45 mins long though).

Mnemosyne: Mnemosyne no Musumetachi (Mnemosyne -ムネモシュネの娘たち-, Mnemosyne: Mnemosyne no Musumetachi? lit. Mnemosyne: Daughters of Mnemosyne) is a six-episode Japanese anime television series produced by Xebec and Genco, featuring grotesque and erotic visuals. The anime is to commemorate the tenth anniversary of the AT-X network, which it originally aired on.[1] The plot, rich in the mix of murder and action, is set in modern and near-future Tokyo, and revolves around Rin Asōgi, an immortal female private investigator.

My preferred sub group is: doremi

I caught the first episode a few weeks ago. It tries a little too hard to be cool at times, but I enjoyed myself. The premise is extremely close to Painkiller Jane, I wonder which came first.

Holy shit, how have I not heard of the new Slayers series?!? It's one of my favorite animes of all time. Any videos of the new show up anywhere?

Koshiba

Zoe said:
Just think, there are many who have never even seen Sailor Moon :(

*gasp* That's crazy. :lol Slayers is so 90's though, back when Megumi Hayashibara seemed to be in everything. I recognize most popular 90's seiyuu when I hear them but not so much anymore with all the new people on the scene.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
2252800010103570232S500x500Q85.jpg

Only thing that interests me. Love the first series, didnt even know they were making a second one.

1stStrike

Banned
Zoe said:
Just think, there are many who have never even seen Sailor Moon :(

The..op for sailor moon back when I was a kid..it was so addicting. I felt embarrassed watching the show and never, ever talked about it. It was my dirty secret D:

Koshiba

1stStrike said:
The..op for sailor moon back when I was a kid..it was so addicting. I felt embarrassed watching the show and never, ever talked about it. It was my dirty secret D:

Fighting evil by moonlight winning love by daylight, never running from a real fight! she is the one named sailor moon!

I liked Sailor Moon a lot growing up. :lol

rykomatsu

Based strictly on the voice actresses, I'll probably watch the following regardless of content:
Ikkitousen
Strike Witches
Blade of the Immortal
Koihimie Musou
Sekirei
Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu

Kinda want to watch Hidamari Sketch just because of Gotou Hiroko, but...nah i'll pass :|

Also, the center dude on blade of the immortal looks like ... i think it's Mon? from Seirei no Moribito

Busaiku

Cannot wait for Antique Bakery.
The manga was a real treat, and unless the adaptation ends up half-baked, I'm expecting a very sweet series.

Shouta

Koshiba said:
Blade of the Immortal, Birdy the Mighty (I have a soft spot for the original.. :lol ), Someday's Dreamers, Yakushiji Ryouko no Kaiki Jikenbo (I like supernatural detective stuff.~) and Slayers are the ones I'm interested in this time around. :)

Yakushiji Ryoko novels are a lot of fun and Ryoko's personality is great.

This guy's giant post about the series basically sums up my feelings.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=1578723&postcount=9

batbeg

Blade of the Immortal and Natsume Yuujin-chou I guess, though either of these could be dropped very quickly. I'm somewhat hopeful for World Destruction as the game looks fuck-awesome, but the story sounds like shit, so, eh...

What a lame looking season :(

bjork

When I watched Ultraviolet, I thought it looked like it should've been cutscenes to a really fun and mindless action game. Might be cool as an anime. :)

Pachael

Having liked the first series', I'm definitely following Hidamari Sketch and Mahou Tsukai. The others I'll wait for impressions.

bloke

The only thing I'm interested in here is soundtrack for new Someday's Dreamers show, and that's in case Takefumi Haketa is behind it again (well ANN says he is, so \o/).
I liked first Hidamari Sketch but I don't think I'll have patience for another season.

7Th

I find it baffling people are actually looking forward to Blade of the Immortal. You guys know it's by Bee Train, right?

Dundar

it could be from whatever studio there is, at the end it's impossible to recreate the same raw feel the manga has. At least on a long running series..... it would have worked as a series of (very high quality) ovas.... maybe. Anyway bee train's animation style doesn't really mesh with the boti look. There's hoping the story doesn't get butchered though it most likely will, since the manga hasn't ended yet. It's close to being wrapped, but still has some way to go.

by the way, Eden manga will end in the next Afternoon, let's hope it gets an anime treatment (w/o bee train or gonzo, please). A 52 episodes epic would be insane.

BluWacky

Looks like an alright summer, I guess, although summer is never very good for anime. Interesting to see the continued lack of bishoujo game adaptations from spring; have they just run out of popular stories to animate now?

I'm mostly looking forward to Natsume Yuujin-cho (love the manga, it's like Mushishi with a bit more snark) and Mahou Tsukai ni Blahdeblah because I really liked the first season (even if this one is all uglified by Osamu Kobayashi and his evil animation style). Others that could/should be good are Antique Bakery (Noitamina, after all) and Birdy the Mighty (Kazuki Akane is one of the best directors in anime, and I love Ryoochimo; not sure about the story but I'm sure there'll be plenty of kickass action).

I was mildly looking forward to World Destruction, but the trailer on Gamespot left me rather underwhelmed. In as far as I can judge these things the small clips of voice acting were actually quite good (not just as a Maaya fanboy, but Miyano's good too), but the animation looked pretty bargain basement. Hopefully the 13 episode length will mean it's not too padded, though.

Otherwise... might give Ryoko's Case Files or whatever a shot, and maybe Blade of the Immortal although a) Bee Train are totally the wrong studio for it and b) I don't really care. Slayers can go die in a fire for all I care unless they pull some spectacular animation out the bag, I've always found it desperately unfunny.

(oh, I forgot about Telepathy Shoujo Ran, which I am quietly hoping is going to be awesome on a stick because it's on NHK and starts about the same time that Dennou Coil did last year. Man, that was a great show.)

Ikkitousen

this doesn't need to be animated anymore, fuck yuri, and fuck Shoujo Ai ( I know it's not Shoujo Ai). Woman\Woman relationships need to be axed hardcore, I'm sick of this shit. I don't have any problem with homosexuality in real life, but in anime I do, because it's just fan service shit.

Koshiba

EverSoTrendy said:
Ikkitousen

this doesn't need to be animated anymore, fuck yuri, and fuck Shoujo Ai ( I know it's not Shoujo Ai). Woman\Woman relationships need to be axed hardcore, I'm sick of this shit. I don't have any problem with homosexuality in real life, but in anime I do, because it's just fan service shit.

I admit my guilty pleasure of secretly watching Ikkitousen for Ryomou.. :lol

FnordChan

Considering that I have yet to really watch any of the spring shows, I can't really get too excited about the summer season. (Yes, as always, I'm utterly behind in my viewing. That includes Macross Frontier. I know, unthinkable!) However, I poked around the Fansub Wiki some and here's what looks to be of interest:

Detroit Metal City - It's from Studio 4oC for god's sake. You've gotta love it.

Chocolate Underground - From the director of a show about Japan cracking down on books, a show about Japan cracking down on chocolate. I sense a theme. Click on the link above to get an idea of what the show looks like - pleasant, with that clean Production I.G. style. Intriguing.

Ultraviolet: Code 044 - I was ready to dismiss this completely, but then I realized it was being directed by Osamu Dezaki. Shit, now I have to look forward to this show. I think I'll try to forget the lame ass movie it's based on (why couldn't they have made an anime spin-off of the awesome British vampire TV series instead? At any rate, I'm going to go into this assuming it's a sequel to Brother, Dear Brother. Oh, and did I mention it's being directed by Osamu motherfuckin' Dezaki? Woah.

Antique Bakery - Okay, so the director hasn't done anything of note, but the manga is, by all accounts, a hoot and a half if you like baking and/or goofy shounen ai hijinx. I'm not so into the latter, but baking I'm down with. Fingers are crossed.

Birdy the Mighty Decode - I never paid attention to the original OVA, which now strikes me as utterly foolish, as it's based on the manga by Masami "Patlabor, Assemble Insert" Yuuki. Where in the hell have I been? Thank god someone decided to make a TV series in order to remind me of the awesomeness I've been missing. By "someone" I mean "all sorts of competent people", such as the guy who directed Escaflowne. Awesome.

Natsume Yuujinchou - This show seems a lot like Mushishi, but that's okay, I liked Mushishi. Besides, the director did the key animation for MADOX-01, which rules, so I gotta at least check it out.

Mission-E - Was Code-E any good? Anyone? Bueller?

Blade of the Immortal - As 7th is fond of pointing out, this is being produced by Bee Train. But, the director did originally work on Irresponsible Captain Tylor (not to mention the Dirty Pair: Project EDEN flick), so perhaps this is his big comeback project just waiting to happen. Oh, and it's being subbed by Live-eviL, which is generally a plus.

Ryoko's Case File - Shouta, thanks for the heads up on this one. I had no idea the LoGH guy had ever worked on a over the top detective show like this. Not only that, but the director contributed episodes to Gurren Lagann, Ookiku Furikabutte, and Eureka 7, so now I've absolutely gotta check it out. Finally, the jaunty music and awesome promo pic on the website kick ass. I'm there.

All in all, not a bad summer.

FnordChan

tri_willy said:
school rumble... where are you?

animesukiforums said:
スクールランブル三学期
School Rumble San Gakki

2 OVA episodes.

Volume 21 limited edition of School Rumble manga will come with the first OVA episode, and Volume 22 limited edition of School Rumble manga will come with the second OVA episode.

Release date of Volume 21 limited edition: 17/7/2008.
Release date of Volume 22 limited edition: 17/9/2008.

I was hoping for a full third season, but after 2 years this is what we get.
Here's the official site for the ova

Dead

well not really...yet
Not a summer show, but apparently, for the few of you who might stille care (lol), Sunrise are STILL going to continue milking the HIME franchise. New project revealed on the official site. http://www.my-zhime.net/

karasu

Exploding clothes, Birdy the Mighty Decode and Blade of the Immortal will make this summer a fun one.

Calcaneus

Meh, I've lost interest in almost all of the Spring shows, and that was a season I thought would be packed with good shows. It doesn't bode well that there are only about three shows I'm looking forward just going by those previews.

Pellham

Banned
typhonsentra said:
Clannad sequel is scheduled for Fall so it's now or never for it. One thing that's confirmed is a Lucky Star OVA for the summer. Might want to add that to the OP.

there's a clannad sequel? i thought they were just going to wrap it up with a couple OVAs or something.

anyway, looking forward to mahou tsukai season 2.

shift J

I've been meaning to watch Slayers, but there are so many different seasons/movies/OVAs, I wasn't sure where to begin. All this excitement for the new season has got me interested again, and I was wondering where should I start and what seasons/movies/OVAs should I watch?

Zoe

shift J said:
I've been meaning to watch Slayers, but there are so many different seasons/movies/OVAs, I wasn't sure where to begin. All this excitement for the new season has got me interested again, and I was wondering where should I start and what seasons/movies/OVAs should I watch?

Start with all of the TV series. The third season may or may not be relevant to this new one since it was completely original (not based on the novels), so you may be able to skip it. The first two should be essential though.

I've never even seen the movies/OVA's.

zoku88

The movies that I watched seemed to be just 'okay' Not as good as the series. How is Try, btw? It's the one I've never watched.

Holtz

zoku88 said:
The movies that I watched seemed to be just 'okay' Not as good as the series. How is Try, btw? It's the one I've never watched.
It's very good, worse than Next but better than the original, imo.

According to my girlfriend, Blade Of the Immortal being made by Bee Train is not a good sign. She says they hav terrible management issues and don't get things done on time.

FnordChan

Deadly Monk said:
According to my girlfriend, Blade Of the Immortal being made by Bee Train is not a good sign. She says they hav terrible management issues and don't get things done on time.

I wouldn't say those are problems so much as the relentless mediocrity of their projects. Expect to get a version of Blade of the Immortal that has been put through the generic anime filter. Considering how unsuited the art style of BoI is to animation in general, with it's sketchy pencil style, I dunno if anyone could really make a good go at at anime adaptation. As it is, don't expect much out of the Bee Train series. This isn't to say that a miracle could occur and it could turn out great, but it's a wee bit of a long shot.

FnordChan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom