• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime - Summer 08 - Show info and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoku88 said:
Now that I look at it, doesn't that look like one of the Digimon from, like, the 2nd season?
Terriermon.jpg

It's actually the third season.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
MickeyKnox said:
I fucking hope to god that Blade of The Immortal isn't some god awful bastardization.

It was recently informed that it's going to suck.

Mandoric

Banned
I'd threaded this elsewhere; while copy-pasting the whole thing would be redundant, here's the OVAs and theatrical releases that were missed.

Someday's Dreamers (theatrical, early summer)
Director: NAKAHARA Shun, Script: YAMADA Norie
Live-action adaption.

Highlander (theatrical, 07/05)
Director: KAWAJIRI Yoshiaki, Production: Madhouse
The Highlander series appears to have been put out to pasture in Japan, much like aging baseballers and B-list actors often are.

Negima! Ala Alba #1 (OVA, 07/17)
Production: SHAFT
Covers chapters 176-177.

School Rumble Third Semester #25 (with book 21 of the comics, 07/17)
Director: TAKAMATSU Shinji, Composition / Script: TOKITA Hiroko, Production: Studio Comet
Continuation of the popular romcom.

Amuri in Star Ocean vol. 2 (OVA, 07/25)
Creator / Director / Script: YONETANI Yoshitomo, Production: Studio Hibari CG Team
Continuation of the 3d fanservice OVA.

The Sky Crawlers (theatrical, 08/02)
Director: OSHII Mamoru, Script: ITO Chihiro, Production: Production I.G
Adaption of alternate-history novels following a young fighter pilot squadron in a world where war is waged as a sport; there's an early review up at http://jasongray.blogspot.com/2008/05/sky-crawlers-takes-flight.html .

Cobra the Animation vol.1 (OVA, 08/29)
Script / Storyboard / Director: TERASAWA Buichi
New OVA production for the 30th anniversary of the famous comic.

Lucky Star OVA (OVA, 08/29)
Director: TAKEMOTO Yasuhiro, Production: Kyoto Animation

Gurren Lagann movie: Gurren Arc (theatrical, 09/06)
Director: IMAISHI Hiroyuki, Composition: NAKASHIMA Kazuki
Summary of the earlier portions of TV.

School Rumble Third Semester #26 (with book 22 of the comics, 09/17)
Director: TAKAMATSU Shinji, Composition / Script: TOKITA Hiroko, Production: Studio Comet
Continuation of the popular romcom.

Amuri in Star Ocean vol. 3 (OVA, 09/26)
Creator / Director / Script: YONETANI Yoshitomo, Production: Studio Hibari CG Team

Detroit Metal City (OVA, summer '08)
Director: NAGAHAMA Hiroshi, Production: Studio 4°C
Adaption of gag comic about a farmboy who joins a heavy metal band after moving to Tokyo. Sadly, the thread appears to have fallen.

Detroit Metal City (theatrical, summer '08)
Director: LEE Toshio, Script: OOMORI Mika, Distribution: Toho
Live-action adaption.

Kara no Kyokai 5: "Contradictory Spiral" (thread) (theatrical at Teatro Shinjuku late show, summer '08)
Production: ufotable

Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (theatrical, summer '08)
Director: MIYAZAKI Hayao, Production: Studio Ghibli
Miyazaki + heavy watercolor style. A goldfish princess strives to become human, befriending a human boy on the way.

Personally, I'll be following Slayers and Hidamari definitely, will watch World Destruction until I can't force myself to anymore (though, with it confirmed for 13 now, that might be all the way,) and am teetering on the edge of going for Birdy (no nostalgia for the original, since I never got the chance to watch) and Ryoko (would be sold, but "classy promo except for the machine-gun maids" is somehow worse than "promo not classy to begin with.")

More interestingly, with Sky Crawlers, Ponyo, Gurren, and Kara no Kyokai, this season looks to have more interesting or notable theatrical releases than TV.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This season looks terrible. I guess I'll just be watching WD, and catch up on Golgo and Macross.

Zyzyxxz

Immortal Blade sounds interesting though seems like it may be stereotypical.

Gurren Lagann hopefully will be better than the 2nd half of the show.

Other than that I see nothing good this season again...sigh will they ever produce a series based off the 2nd book from the series of Seirei no Moribito?

thetrin said:
This season looks terrible. I guess I'll just be watching WD, and catch up on Golgo and Macross.

how can hate on slayers???

Personally, nothing interested me in the spring season...but slayers is fun. one or two good new shows is about all I need

7Th

Zyzyxxz said:
Gurren Lagann hopefully will be better than the 2nd half of the show.

Better than the same second half that includes the best episodes in the entire show? I would love for that to be the case, it would make for an incredibly amazing movie.

zoku88

thetrin said:
Go die in a fire >_<

No one insults Slayers like that... not in front of me >_<

RAWR

I still love you

Lain

What's the word on the reworked Ghost in the Shell that should come out in Japanese theaters this July?

kamikaze

Mandoric said:
More interestingly, with Sky Crawlers, Ponyo, Gurren, and Kara no Kyokai, this season looks to have more interesting or notable theatrical releases than TV.

got an early screening of the sky crawlers (skywalker sound did the sfx). :D

beautiful cg scenes with the planes. i didn't know anything about the sky crawlers going into the film so i thought it'd be an action heavy film but it soon became obvious that the movie was more of an introspective character film. once i got my head around that, i really enjoyed it.

i'm curious what sort of release (if any) the sky crawlers could get in the u.s. they already have a subtitled version so it'd be nice if it could get a limited release. i'm also really curious to see how namco handles the story in their wii game.
will you be playing a game of their war game?

Pellham

Banned
vas_a_morir said:
I agree. To me, a Harem is a Love-Comedy with no plot, and characters you hate.

Funny how you say you agree but only call out harem anime and ignore the other pervasive type of anime that Shidoshi mentioned. IMO harem anime are pretty much harmless and only have a bad reputation because of the types of fans it attracts, but the crappy generic action anime w/ vampires/ninjas/whatever crap is far, far worse and only manchildren watch that shit.

Anyway, Zero no Tsukaima season 3 and Somedays Dreamers season 2 for me.

Jason

Watched a couple raws this morning.

Telepathy Shoujo Ran - Follows the lives of two girls with telepathic powers. I'm not very good with comparisons but think The Girl Who Leapt Through Time with a dash of Dennou Coil (minus the technology). I was impressed with the backgrounds and the lead characters seem interesting enough. Will continue to watch.

Chocolate Underground - City goes on a health kick and bans chocolate. The CG sticks out like a sore thumb in the first episode but is pretty much non-existent in the second. Lead character designs are great...everyone else not so much. Silly premise yes, but I still find it strangely compelling. I'm hoping it turns out like that Beer Baron episode from The Simpsons. :lol Each episode is only 3-5 minutes long.

rykomatsu

anyone see ep1 of Sekirei? or is that this weekend? I thought it took the timeslot that Kamen no Maid Guy was in, the week after that ended..

Jason

rykomatsu said:
anyone see ep1 of Sekirei? or is that this weekend? I thought it took the timeslot that Kamen no Maid Guy was in, the week after that ended..

I just skimmed through it...not much to say really other than boobs, boobs and boobs. Probably right up Smiles and Cries' alley. :lol

Also watched Ultraviolet Code044 yesterday. Really ugly art and the lead character has the personality of a stick. Avoid.

Fireblend

Banned
vas_a_morir said:
I had no idea there was a new season of Zero no Tsukaima next week. How'd I miss that? Last season SUCKED, though.
Agreed. I don't see myself watching the third one after that, honestly.

Fireblend said:
Agreed. I don't see myself watching the third one after that, honestly.

They say that it's going to be like the first season, a kind of a romantic comedy with them hanging out at the school.

C'mawn! Now, that at least has to get you to watch the first eppy. Moar spankings! Moar Tsundere! Less awful fantasy plot!

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Huh, nothing seems interesting apart from Blade of the Immortals but all the anime gaf says it's going to suck...

At least Studio 4C is doing something, can't be bad!

When is the next Gainax series coming?

Shouta

Sekirei was pretty bleh, at least it was consistent looking rather than all over the place like Macross Frontier.

Slayers Revolution is just like the first ep of the last 3 series. Amusing as hell. :lol

rykomatsu

Shouta said:
Sekirei was pretty bleh, at least it was consistent looking rather than all over the place like Macross Frontier.

downloading the raw atm...i heard the manga is pretty good..ordered vol1 but it still hasn't arrived yet :|

Shouta

The Sekirei manga is good for a quick read and laugh. Artwork for it is fairly appealing but the series itself is pretty lulz.

rykomatsu

Shouta said:
The Sekirei manga is good for a quick read and laugh. Artwork for it is fairly appealing but the series itself is pretty lulz.

well...1st ep wasn't THAT bad...but also wasn't THAT good. I'll keep watching the series though since Hayami Saori's performance thus far in Wagaya has been pretty good and I'd like to see how she progresses as a VA.

Bebpo

Banned
Mahou Tsukai ~~ 2 / Someday's Dreamers 2 was ehhhhhh, ok.

The photo-backgrounds are great, but the pacing is a sloooooooow slice of life show :\ Needs more indie rock and sex like Beck & Paradise Kiss. Hopefully they introduce some guitar playing characters in Tokyo next ep.

kiryogi

Banned
Bebpo said:
Mahou Tsukai ~~ 2 / Someday's Dreamers 2 was ehhhhhh, ok.

The photo-backgrounds are great, but the pacing is a sloooooooow slice of life show :\ Needs more indie rock and sex like Beck & Paradise Kiss. Hopefully they introduce some guitar playing characters in Tokyo next ep.

Never saw the first one eh? That's exactly what it is. Never really went anywhere, just total slice of uneventful life almost. Not sure if i'll follow up with this one.

On another note, SLAYERS IS BACK. ITS FUCKING BACK. New megumi/masami songs and all! :D :D :D

hirokazu

Wow, all of the ones in the OP don't look too interesting to me.

If you were to recommend one of them what will it be?

I haven't been watching anime for a while, except Soul Eater, which is so-so as well anyhow.

Also, WTF is with the Rei eyepatch ripoff shit. Hate eyepatches. Fucking hate that shit, why does it turn people on?

Bebpo

Banned
kiryogi said:
Never saw the first one eh? That's exactly what it is. Never really went anywhere, just total slice of uneventful life almost. Not sure if i'll follow up with this one.

On another note, SLAYERS IS BACK. ITS FUCKING BACK. New megumi/masami songs and all! :D :D :D

I really like the original, which is why I'm watching this. But ep1 of this was MUCH slower than the first show ever was. Hopefully it'll pick up in ep2. Also the old show had better music and character design ^^;

Pachael

Zeouterlimits said:
Did OP just rob from Giapet without credit?

I think duckroll already pinged him in the first reply.
That said, is anyone bothered to make a new one or shall we use this one? :|

7Th

Bebpo said:
I really like the original, which is why I'm watching this. But ep1 of this was MUCH slower than the first show ever was. Hopefully it'll pick up in ep2. Also the old show had better music and character design ^^;

What? No. Visuals were clearly the best part of this first episode, it was full of lovely Kobayashi magic.

hirokazu said:
Blade of the Immortal, has a great manga to go on.
World Destruction might be good, Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto might be {my 2 hopefuls}.
Right on, ongoing is Code Geass R2, 12 episodes into the 2nd season, pretty good.

If you haven't watched Gurren Lagann get on it. Now.

I'll never get Slayers love...oh well hope World of Destruction is fun to watch but more important hope Sega brings the game out to the west.
Is there anything mecahish this season aside from Macross? Oh and I heard of a show called Aquarion is that any good?

hirokazu

Zeouterlimits said:
Blade of the Immortal, has a great manga to go on.
World Destruction might be good, Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto might be {my 2 hopefuls}.
Right on, ongoing is Code Geass R2, 12 episodes into the 2nd season, pretty good.

If you haven't watched Gurren Lagann get on it. Now.
Thank you very much. :)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Bebpo: Aside from the OP/ED, I didn't notice any new composition for Slayers R in that ep, just old stuff.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
BLADE OF THE IMMORTAL ANIME!!!!!!!

:D

zoku88

Bebpo said:
Do you mean character design or art direction. Because the character design should be the same... (ie, the characters still based on the novels.)

Or are you talking about the designs of the new characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom