• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animes where you really like the English Dub?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Dubs have improved a lot. I think it's very difficult to find a dub that's actually that bad anymore. Like, regular DBZ's dub wasn't even that great. Kai is a pretty substantial step up over Funimation's original dub.

Ionic

It makes sense that you like both DBZ and Hero Academy's dub given English All Might also voices Vegeta and Piccolo. I really like the Japanese Hero Academy more overall, but I prefer Sabat's All Might.

I watched Moribito in English and thought the dub was well done.

Also have a real affinity for the "Streamline" dubs like Akira, Fist of the Northstar movie and Robotech.

Squire

Banned
Bebop is good, but I actually don't think it's so easily the best dub, of it is at all.

The bar is FLCL for me. Closest recent series is Steins;Gate. The writing really elevates both.

blakep267

DBZ. I don't care about how long the actress has been doing the Goku family. It's terrible and it makes me not want to watch the new db series

Nuu

Banned
I'm usually in the "subs are objectively superior camp". However, there are exceptions where I would consider the dub to be objectively superior to the sub:

Steins;Gate:
The characters English voice actors really spring them to life and give them personality. In contrast to the Japanese voting actors who make them seem generic or even off-putting. Kurisu in the English version sounds like an intelligent and proud young woman, who does have a shy side she desperately tries to hide. In the Japanese version she is lacks her intelligent and proud persona, and seems to be just a nervous shy girl who always seems to get borderlined bullied by the main character. Mayuri is even more ridiculous. While she admittedly seems a bit "off" in the dub, with the sub I believe that she is literally mentally challenged with how "out of it" she seems.

Dragon Ball Z: The dub just simply nails everyone. While the sub is okay, it doesn't "match" the characters anywhere near as the dub does. Also, I don't give a shit how iconic the voice is, Goku's dub is terrible. Yes, he's essentially a kid in an adult's body, but an adult has an adult voicebox. Hence he should speak like a kid, but not sound like one, just as the dub portrays.

Cowboy Bebop: Similar to Dragon Ball Z. The sub is serviceable, but the dub is incredible. The casting team continually caught lightning in a bottle with all of the main cast.

moomoo14

Cowboy Bebop
Baccano
Death Note
Fullmetal Alchemist
Paranoia Agent
Full Metal Panic
Attack on Titan is actually pretty good.

In general, dubs have gotten way better, and most are quite watchable.

Cowboy Bebop.

And, uh, that's probably it.

Well, I guess both FMA adaptations are good too, but Brotherhood's English dub had some issues.

Cowboy Bebop the thread

Ha, yep.

Others off the top of my head:
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Fullmetal Alchemist, FLCL, Space Dandy, Trigun, Hellsing, Samurai Champloo, Gankutsuou, Baccano, Fate/Zero, etc. I know I'm missing a ton of others. I think Wolf's Rain was quite good, too. As people have said above, I still really like both the original and the rebuild Evangelion dubs. Recently, the the localization/dub for Yuri on Ice was great, it ended up being a lot more laugh out loud funny than the original Japanese version.

Moaradin

Dubs have improved a lot. I think it's very difficult to find a dub that's actually that bad anymore. Like, regular DBZ's dub wasn't even that great. Kai is a pretty substantial step up over Funimation's original dub.

Sentai is pretty much the only one that puts out bad dubs regularly. Funimation, Aniplex, and even Viz puts out some good dubs these days.

TI82

Banned
qaS18mF.gif

Gurren Lagann. I wish the movies were dubbed, that final fight scene is just so emotionally over the top and satisfying.

Kickz

Durarara's English Dub is excellent

InuYasha dub is arguably better than the sub

Yuyu Hakusho is also awesome

Yawnier

Banned
This might be sacrilege to some people but I like a good chunk of the dubs that Funimation does. A few examples from the last few years I can think of that I liked are Ping Pong, Prison School, D-Frag and The Devil is a Part Timer.

Raxus

Cowboy Bebop
Baccano
Death Note
Fullmetal Alchemist
Paranoia Agent
Full Metal Panic
Attack on Titan is actually pretty good.

In general, dubs have gotten way better, and most are quite watchable.

Truly bad dubs are getting more and more rare. The popular shows definitely get most of the effort (as seen above).

Baccano, Cowboy Beebop, Cromratie High School, YuYu Hakusho, HxH, Dragonball (funimation) are all top tier dubs surpassing their OG VA's. Lots of ties. I am sure I will think of more dubs when the time comes but those 4 are the ones that spring into mind.

TI82

Banned
This might be sacrilege to some people but I like a good chunk of the dubs that Funimation does. A few examples from the last few years I can think of that I liked are Ping Pong, Prison School and The Devil is a Part Timer.

Yeah I don't generally like dubs much but Funimation does well, their One Piece dub is superb imo

ab72ae9f1eeec620e6362a8e5c7599c2.jpg

Crazy to think that Berserk was the first role for a lot of the talent involved, and that Viz/crunchyroll really screwed the pooch by not even bothering to bring them back for the cg abomination.

espher

I feel weird in that I really don't like the Cowboy Bebop dub voices (the dub isn't bad, though).

Some of these others I can agree with.

Top Bottom