• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animes where you really like the English Dub?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
FLCL is the gold standard for me

"Fondling her yum yums?"

"FONDLING HER CUPCAKES?!?!?!"

Been saying that line for over a decade.

All the animes I watch which are just Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Samurai Champloo, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Ghost in the Shell.

Well, actually, Ghost in the Shell's is just alright.

Beth Cyra

Kannazuki No Miko - Michelle Ruff's Chikane was so damn good I named my daughter after her.

Trigun - Vash and Wolfwood in English are fucking perfect.

DBZ - much prefer Goku in English.

Gundam Wing - overall enjoy the cast much better in English.

Nephtis

Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star had good English Dub.

I recently saw the movie Blame! and I actually preferred the dub over Japanese.

Ezalc

Remembered another good dub: G Gundam. Domon and Master Asia are fun as hell, though the original voices are also great.

Dimmle

I've listened to the sub a few times and it's fun, too, but FLCL's dub is incredible and its deliveries are etched into my brain for eternity.

remz

qaS18mF.gif

Gurren Lagann. I wish the movies were dubbed, that final fight scene is just so emotionally over the top and satisfying.

Saying Simon like (see-moan) Simone instead of the english name Simon (sai-mon) was kinda sketchy tho... I know it's how they say it in the jp dub but I feel like the english name simon would have been better?

FMA bebop and FLCL are my answers... FLCL was for sure part of my formative years tho so maybe i'm biased

I feel confident in saying that even though I haven't seen Golden Boy subbed that the dub is approximately 1,000,000 times funnier.

TI82

Banned
Saying Simon like (see-moan) Simone instead of the english name Simon (sai-mon) was kinda sketchy tho... I know it's how they say it in the jp dub but I feel like the english name simon would have been better?

Little strange but hey, anime fantasy names I didn't judge. In animes about magic drill robots I have more ability to suspend disbelief I guess.

Strimei

Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, FMA (both versions), FLCL,Golden Boy...

edit: Darker than Black's another one I love the dub for.

UrokeJoe

I remember watching Cowboy way back when and everyone was like anime no dub, and I was like what the fuck?? This is good!

PixelatedBookake

Yeah My Hero Academia's dub is pretty spot on. I've been watching it on Funimation Now and there's not a single weak voice in the cast. One voice actor in particular did a pretty bang up job in the most recent episode.

All of them for me I guess?

I'll always watch the dub if an anime has one. Or I'll wait to see if it'll get licensed and gets a dub before watching.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
NANA and Honey & Clover were exceptional, both rival the Japanese original for me.
Cromartie Highschool was entertaining too.

Evangelion's dub is top. Love Kaworu's voice.

Recentlyn seconding OP, My Hero Academia's dub has been one of the best. Christopher Sabat voicing All Might is a match mae in heaven. PLUS ULTRA!!! Justin Briner has Deku is also super on point. Well all the cast is on point.

Here is funimation's simuldub trailer. It's excellent.
https://youtu.be/broyogKLs2Y

Durarara and Bacano are also top.

I mean I could go on and on.

D.Gray-Man
Beck
Gundam SEED
Fairy Tail
Shaman King
Digimon

All of these and more have some excellent dubs and in all these case I think the dub is superior. MHA though I think ther are equal.

Oh yea and if the show is dubbed I will watch it dubbed.

mhayes86

Cowboy Bebop. Easily.

I also prefer the Dragonball series, YuYu Hakusho, Rorouni Kenshin, Outlaw Star, FLCL, and Samurai Champloo in English to name a few.

I'll put the requisite votes in for Cowboy Bebop and Yu Yu Hakusho. Bebop feels like a series that needs to be heard in English since many of its influences and characters are Western. Yu Yu Hakusho, on the other hand, is very Japanese but benefits greatly from a dub script that takes some liberties, but makes things insanely enjoyable. The dub actors are allowed to stretch their acting legs and you get a dub that feels natural. Even the dubbed version of the first opening is fantastic.

I'll also second My Hero Academia. I watched the entire first season subbed on Hulu, but I've been rewatching it dubbed on VRV. A series about Western-styled superheroes feels like it would benefit from a dub, and all of the actors shine.

KillLaCam

Banned
Only really old anime like DBZ, Bebop, Ninja Scroll, Demon City Shinjuku, or any of those shows that came on adult swim.

Modern anime dubs are really cringy to me now for some reason.

I thought it was because I know Japanese now but it's not since I saw Demon City Shinjuku for the 1st time last year.

Ninjimbo

Black Lagoon is better dubbed and actually then proper canon
No lies here.

Also, Baccano and Mushishi have really great dubs. And Gurren Lagann's dub kicked ass. Most people won't admit it but deep down you know that dub was way better than it has any right to be.

geomon

Cowboy Bebop
Black Lagoon
Psycho-Pass
Assassination Classroom
Gangsta
Steins;Gate
Ghost in the Shell
Ergo Proxy
Summer Wars
Prison School
Death Parade
Log Horizon
Time of EVE
Future Diary
Haganai
Spice & Wolf
Welcome to the N.H.K.
Redline
B Gata H Kei

Those are ones I consider to be really good to great dubs.

Modern anime dubs are really cringy to me now for some reason.
Blame the time-constrains of simuldubs and general faster turnaround times.

Coupled with crunchyroll insisting on using only a few companies like Bang Zoom, which means you get the same handful of actors for everything.

Cool new series with an ensemble like Free or Yuri on Ice? Look forward to it sounding absolutely atrocious because Vic Mignogna and Johnny Yong Bosch are guaranteed two of the spots, talented as they are.

Strimei

Cool new series with an ensemble like Free or Yuri on Ice? Look forward to it sounding absolutely atrocious because Vic Mignogna and Johnny Yong Bosch are guaranteed two of the spots, talented as they are.

Neither of those two are in Yuri on Ice, for what its worth.

NightOnyx

All of them for me I guess?

I'll always watch the dub if an anime has one. Or I'll wait to see if it'll get licensed and gets a dub before watching.

I am the same way, I always watch the dub if available, and I have no problem holding off on watching something if it's likely to be dubbed later on.

Subs are fine and I understand if people prefer watching a show that way, but I just rather watch a show in English. I don't watch a ton of anime, but when I do I have found all the dubs to be perfectly fine. Sure some are better than others, and once in a while I'll feel someone is a miscast for either not fitting the part, or just being a bad voice actor, but all in all I think they are usually pretty good.

Blame the time-constrains of simuldubs and general faster turnaround times.

Coupled with crunchyroll insisting on using only a few companies like Bang Zoom, which means you get the same handful of actors for everything.

That's not true. In what role did Vic Mignogna even appear recently? Digimon Tri? Funimation has increased greatly their talent pool recently with their huge focus on SIMULDUB. One of their biggest new title has Sabat as All Might yes, but the main lead is voiced by a *newer and less known* VA named Justin Briner for exemple.

Crunchyroll's dub of Mob was also made with newer and less known talents.

Bebop
Outlaw Star
FLCL
Inuyasha
Berserk
DBZ (I grew up with it, I'm biased
Trigun

I'd throw Tenchi Muyo in there as well because I loved the female cast, but I thought the male cast was okay at best.

Oh yeah, Code Geass and Death Note were also fantastic. Hearing Amuro Ray plot the death of L was excellent.

GoldCrusader said:

Neither of those two are in Yuri on Ice, for what its worth.
Oops, passionate rant instead of rational rant.

I looked it up and it's Jerry Jewell as Viktor who I thought was Vic Mignogna, hopefully not just because of the name.

I've enjoyed him in other works, but the decision to go with the accent was so wildly off-putting to me.

Gardios

Space Dandy
Michiko & Hatchin
Black Lagoon
Dragon Ball Z Kai
Soul Eater
Fullmetal Alchemist(and Brotherhood)
Steins;Gate
Panty & Stocking
Baccano!
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Ghost Stories
Gurren Lagann
Golden Boy
Gundam Unicorn
Gundam Thunderbolt
Death Note
Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop
One Punch Man
Mob Psycho

Branson

Kai dub had ruined the original Z for me. So Kai is my preferred way to watch that anime dubbed.

Sword Art Online and Cowboy Beebop are decent dubs too.

I like the Akira one too but I need to watch it again. See if it holds up. I know they re dubbed it.

lupinko

Macross Plus, Gundam Wing (TV and OVA), the Sanrio Animated Series dub by YTV.

Actually anything done at Ocean Studios in Vancouver.

But I still like the original over the dub regardless.

That applies to everything really.

CONCH0BAR

Came here to post Hero Academia. Proud of you, GAF.

I'd like to add Hunter X Hunter (the newer anime). Keith Silverstein as Hisoka just knocks it out of the park.

Top Bottom