• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anita Sarkeesian's astounding 'garbage human' moment at Vidcon

Status
Not open for further replies.
A conflict started by a jilted ex, has set alight the flame of the internet and has developed into a full blown culture war between the right and the left.

It's now 2017
The war still isn't over. Thousands have been harassed and and abused. The Internet has gone mad. The world has gone mad.
That this shit has taken over the internet to such extend is still something so incredibly pathetic. And it shows no signs of stopping, and no internet companies are even trying to protect their users against this harassment. I didn't really take notice of gamergate at the start, but fuck, that really was the point where the assholes came out and went into full harassment mode. It was already there to some extend, but afterwards they didn't even try to hide it anymore.

Ominym

Banned
not a drive-by, anita is not a person that wants to make video game better, she does this in order to make money. it really is that simple. yet people on this site are always ready to keep giving her more.

I hate to alarm your "I'm 13 and this is deep" inner monologue spouting, but sometimes people do things because they're important and not just for money. Sometimes getting paid for doing something important is a bonus.

After all, why does Bill Gates want to cure malaria when he could be using his time to become more and more wealthy?

Fisty

I mean it's clearly both? For a living she's trying to make games better... just like every other internet critic who gets funded through patreon or kickstarter or whatever.

It's funny, she's criticized for making money by giving (their definition of) shitty criticisms and feminist viewpoints... while they make money for giving (actual) shitty criticisms and mysoginistic viewpoints.

Kuugrr

It's funny, she's criticized for making money by giving (their definition of) shitty criticisms and feminist viewpoints... while they make money for giving (actual) shitty criticisms and mysoginistic viewpoints.

300k a year, as someone pointed out earlier. I'm still reeling.

LionPride

Banned
Is she doing it out of the goodness of her heart? No. It's a job, she's getting paid, AND THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

Like everyone you like on twitch or youtube with very little exception is doing it because they're getting paid.
I had to step down to some dumbass levels to get my point across since some people believe if you ain't doin it for free ya heart ain't in it

boiled goose

good with gravy
not a drive-by, anita is not a person that wants to make video game better, she does this in order to make money. it really is that simple. yet people on this site are always ready to keep giving her more.

It's almost irrelevant to the topic at hand, which is about harassment.
or are you saying that because she only does this to make money (irrelevant and unsupported?), that the harassment is justified?

Mesoian

Who gives a shit? There are people making way more for doing far less that are universally beloved in this crazy headspace of a fandom and no one cares. Why is she the outlier?

I had to step down to some dumbass levels to get my point across since some people believe if you ain't doin it for free ya heart ain't in it

The concept of "EXPOSURE" has ruined us all forever.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
sitting quietly in a room and hearing what your opposition has to say is a bad thing?
If only there was a forum, a forum with an OP, that specifically bolded the part where they clearly laid out their motives. Gee what a world that would be. I genuinely chose the best sections of the article to quote in the OP:

And before we get the usual suspects saying "Maybe they actually were there to have a debate?" Not having it ITT!

Dave Cullen lounges on what appears to be a bed in a hotel room, pointing a camera at himself. He looks tired and slightly pleased with himself. He is an ally of Benjamin's, a fellow YouTuber who makes a full-time living feeding the internet's appetite for masculine fear and hurt.

He was there, he says, at the VidCon Sarkeesian session. As he speaks, he claims that the first three rows were taken up by allies. (These allies have co-opted an internet term of derision to describe themselves: shitlords. They are generally identified by their hostility to progressives and to "social justice warriors.")

He goes on to talk about how these allies coordinated among themselves at the event. "We carefully organized this so that on one side of the audience we would all make up the top three rows," he says. ”We would all be sitting there filming it," he adds, before naming several allies. "Anita spoke. And they were asking about why is it important to still have women talking about sexism or some victim bullshit in video games." He recounts Sarkeesian's comments.

He repeatedly claims the group is there to "engage" with Sarkeesian, but later, he says something very different.

"We had a blast with this. It was such an adrenaline high to be there in the situation, to shit-post, in this trolling kind of way." He goes on to claim there was "no malice" in their actions and that it was ”playful."[

BiggNife

sitting quietly in a room and hearing what your opposition has to say is a bad thing?

Oh hey it's time to go back to the very first post I made in this thread because I knew someone was going to say this

For the record, anyone who says "lol Sargon was just sitting and looking at her, that's not harassment" needs to do some research on what harassment is.

Going out of your way to sit in the front row of a talk for someone whom you have called a number of horrible slurs in the past and staring at her with a knowing smirk is 110% harassment. That's an intimidation tactic. He's trying to make her afraid to speak in public. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

guys all I'm saying is that if some guys harass you and endanger you and your family and try to make your life a living hell for years maybe all you have to do is sit down quietly and listen like a good little woman

Also like someone pointed out earlier, planning to go to the speech of someone you've been harassing for years just to sit down and look smugly at her is some psychopath shit.

I get that, but in this specific scenario calling him out just boosted his platform. I would say that ignoring the fact he was there period would have left him in relative obscurity. That being said I'm sure they both will profit from the whole shakedown.

Going over the article, it seems she didn't address the wastes of air taking up the first few rows until she was directly asked about the harassment.

Besides that, some of these dudes are basically getting an income from the amount of people that are donating on patreon. That's far from relative obscurity, and pretending like no one would know who they are if only she hadn't directly spoken about/to her harassers is head scratching.

And maybe they'll both profit. Maybe Anita gets more chances to speak about the representation of women in games and inspires more companies to do better about their character designs and writing ala Naughty Dog and Last of Us. Maybe Sargon gets more patreon money to make another article calling feminists the real monsters for not sleeping with a homicidal killer, thereby making any murder he committed their fault.

Basically:
Anita does critical commentary for money

Sargon runs a harrassment campaign

spot the difference

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Feminist Frequency is a non-profit. Sarkeesian does make money but that's because it's her job.

Meanwhile GamerGate edgelords on Patreon pocket most of what they make to spend on skull-themed decor or whatever.

Famassu

It's not wrong to get some compensation for fighting for equality. That does not make her a money-hungry bitch who is only doing it for Teh Munnies.

Like, holy fuck, grow some fucking sense. Would you go through all the harassment she has gone through just to earn some money? No job is worth what she's going through, least alone Youtube video game criticism.

FyreWulff

The humanity of women, black persons, and transgender persons is not up for debate. Why would anyone want to entertain a dude that has his banner set to him dancing with a photoshopped pic of Anita? He's a fucking stalker, not a debater.

this may surprise you but the entire video games industry is about making money?

Armaros

Not a drive by? thats why you are posting this on an obvious alt account?

God i love Neogaf, have a different opinion get banned.

i will get banned for this

And what does all the games have in common? they under performed compared to there other counterparts.

Diversity is all good and well but diversity does not equal to good game.

Instead of giving so much attention to reaching a diversity quota they should focus on making the good game instead.

Oh look, you're one of those "Diversity is all good and well but..." guys. I'm shocked by this.

Those guys were there just to rattle her cage. The issue isn't was it right. The issue is these guys are dumpster fire

And for the record if you get pushed and pushed and pushed and you speak out against it, that isn't wrong. It's ironic people are pushing that she should shut the fuck up instead of stand up for herself.

yup

I love how this big conspiracy is supposed to be Anita makes money.

No shit? Even if her videos were about how she actually hates videogames and they all suck that doesn't justify the harassment she gets.

Bronx-Man

Banned
He repeatedly claims the group is there to "engage" with Sarkeesian, but later, he says something very different.

"We had a blast with this. It was such an adrenaline high to be there in the situation, to shit-post, in this trolling kind of way." He goes on to claim there was "no malice" in their actions and that it was “playful.”

It just finally clicked for me.

These are children.

These aren't intellectual debaters or master hackers we're dealing with. These are fucking children we are dealing with. 4th graders. These are children so mentally and emotionally stunted, the only thing that seems "fun" to them anymore is hurting other people because seeing someone else upset is all part of their game.

If I wasn't so disgusted by these pieces of shit, I'd almost feel sad for them.

Ominym

Banned

Haha, okay here we go. Even if we assumed that they all sat quietly and listened, which they didn't; how would you feel if you were giving a talk and I organized 30 of your harshest opposers, some of whom have riled up hate mobs of people who threaten your life online and then got all of us to completely fill the front rows of your talk?

Even if these idiots didn't speak a word, which they did, their intent was loud and clear. They wanted to intimidate her and silence her.

Now, you'll probably fire back with "oh well they didn't mean to silence her..." Yes, they very clearly did when they organized to fill the front rows, Anita's clearest indicator of the crowd, with a Rogue's gallery of internet hate-mob leaders.

Oh look, you're one of those "Diversity is all good and well but..." guys. I'm shocked by this.

lol

"diversity in games is bad because it makes them underperform"

"uh, statistics? plus that doesn't have any correlation"

/vanishes only to reappear saying harassment is actually good

thekin

Banned
And you're back, so not a drive-by; you've proven me wrong.

Just a shitty post then.

say what you want, but anita and the rest of her group do not want to help games become better, look at japan, manga, anime and games are doing great. yet they are not going about shitting on people, insulting the fans and asking for special treatment because they are women, they make good products and the fans repay them with respect and admiration.

Yet in the west it's not like that, if a woman should make a game and it's shit people like you are the 1st to defend the game and deflect any criticism, calling it harassment or misogyny

See, this is where we get into dishonest territory.
There is no way you honestly believe this is what was happening and the intention of those that attended.

You can't have a debate with these people when they aren't even willing to start from an honest point. And then they complain that "debate" is being stifled. They can go fuck themselves.

Edit: and my point is proven two posts above. Acting like no one here is willing to criticize a game made by a woman, complete strawman purposely misprepresenting the argument being made.

Crossing Eden

See, this is where we get into dishonest territory.
There is no way you honestly believe this is what was happening and the intention of those that attended.
It's the fact that THEY don't even believe it is the craziest part. Like it's in the OP. The usual suspects can't get away with that kind of disingenuous logic this time. And yet they're still trying.

DNAbro

These are children.

These aren't intellectual debaters or master hackers we're dealing with. These are fucking children we are dealing with. 4th graders. These are children so mentally and emotionally stunted, the only thing that seems "fun" to them anymore is hurting other people because seeing someone else upset is all part of their game.

Children have the capacity to learn and grow.

Armaros

say what you want, but anita and the rest of her group do not want to help games become better, look at japan, manga, anime and games are doing great. yet they are not going about shitting on people, insulting the fans and asking for special treatment because they are women, they make good products and the fans repay them with respect and admiration.

Yet in the west it's not like that, if a woman should make a game and it's shit people like you are the 1st to defend the game and deflect any criticism, calling it harassment or misogyny

nothing in your troll laced statement have you made any sense.

Nepenthe

Who gives a shit? There are people making way more for doing far less that are universally beloved in this crazy headspace of a fandom and no one cares. Why is she the outlier?

The underlying sentiment between this thread and the one about the women's game conference are that women are obligated to make sure that anything they do for themselves that's not explicitly in line with male gamer's sensibilities must be done in such an altruistic manner that it would make Buddha blush, otherwise we are the real issue.

If we want to talk about feminism in ways that can help facilitate reaching wide audiences, we can make absolutely no money doing it.

If we want to organize among ourselves, we cannot, because not allowing men into the fold of a private event or party is literally the same thing as Jim Crow and is setting us back.

Everything we do must first pass the arbitrarily applied political thresholds of sensitive men who cannot see women helping themselves as anything but an affront to their existence, before we're allowed to do them, because ultimately women are still considered "outsiders" in gaming and thus can't be trusted to act in anyone's best interest. But men are automatically given the benefit of the doubt that they care about the medium, hence why the people bitching about Anita don't care that some of these assholes make thousands of dollars a month on Patreon doing nothing but harassing a woman.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm listening to the Joe Rogan interview of Sargon and...

Joe: "What the worst thing you did to Anita?"
Sargon: "Saying she's wrong."

*10 minutes later*

Sargon: "You're a dick, Anita. You're a bigot."

These are children.

You just now realized that these people are children?

Oh my...

Bit-Bit

Holy shit, I'm currently listening to Joe Rogan's podcast with Sargon and at the 1 hour and 10 minute mark, Joe got sick of Sargon bringing up Anita and called him out on playing the victim. It's hilarious listening to Sargon try to worm his way out of his shitty views.

jacobeid

Banned

Guys we have a new meme.

Hey I found a Western game with lots of females I think you'd like

lol glad I'm not the only one.

Hey I found a Western game with lots of females I think you'd like

Gestault

guys all I'm saying is that if some guys harass you and endanger you and your family and try to make your life a living hell for years maybe all you have to do is sit down quietly and listen like a good little woman

Also like someone pointed out earlier, planning to go to the speech of someone you've been harassing for years just to sit down and look smugly at her is some psychopath shit.

Precisely. Anyone in this discussion who can't recognize (1) the irrational demand on her and others, and (2) the clear absurdity of Sargon's moviations? That's a person worth ignoring.

What? Like truly...what?

DNAbro

Ahh glorious Nippon

Fat4all

Banned

What the fuck are you talking about?

Crossing Eden

Oh shit we even got a healthy dose of asian fetishism too!
My partner is asian and we routinely discuss how disturbing that shit is....

Alavard

Excuse me?

People like you... people like you... The problem is always someone else, isn't it?

Yes, wanting to see better representation of women in games is exactly that, wanting to help games become better.

You act like feminist cultural criticism just straight-up doesn't exist in Japan. That isn't true at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom