• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Announcing the Sea of Thieves Technical Alpha - December 16th-18th

Reminds me too much of Destiny/Division/etc. Just running around doing the same things over and over.

There is more to the game than what we can play at the moment?
That's not the impression I got.

It sounda very much like this curent playable build is a slice of a bigger pie.

If you are insider read the link on previous page. Game has lots more in store. When that will come and how etc is obviously not so clear...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
There is more to the game than what we can play at the moment?
That's not the impression I got.

Isn't what we played almost exactly what's been revealed for nearly a year now? Doesn't seem like a stretch to think they are holding back on content...

Literally just jumped on for the first time, met up with some randoms and had an absolute blast.

Rare have got a killer game on their hands, expand on the content and then make sure word of mouth gets around, the game needs to be played to be believed but the core gameplay loop is and how "manual" everything is is spot on. They've done a very good job creating a game where you can create your own stories. Can't wait for the next play session!

asocirev

First time playing today, it was fun being thrown into a ship with a team and having to figure out what to do. Communication is key, nobody on my first team would talk and our ability to do anything suffered. We sunk a ship at anchor, then tried to chase down another one. The problem is with full sails you can't see what's ahead of the ship while at the wheel, your shipmates have to navigate for you. Fun game but I can't fit a sandbox into family/work/life right now.

jesu

It sounda very much like this curent playable build is a slice of a bigger pie.

If you are insider read the link on previous page. Game has lots more in store. When that will come and how etc is obviously not so clear...

That just sounds like what they have planned.
Not what actually is playable in any form right now.

Vico

At this point I think they're waiting for a full reveal at E3. Seems like they showed the core concept, and I'm assuming they have a lot more to show soon.

Game's a looker, throw in a kraken and another player-controlled pirate ship and you've got a good demo to blow people out at E3.

Tawpgun

We learned sail management is key. If you work the sails well you can run circles around other ships.

Game is very fun. I think the sailing and navigating requiring everyone is fun but I think it could be made a BIT more accessible. Perhaps the full game will have a more ramp up turorial period.

Can't wait to see what else they flesh out. Still my most anticipated game.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I love how in complex sailing is. Hope other systems have that same level of depth.

Isurus

Blah I'm still not in. Feels like I've been trying forever. Have had a few close friends get in, so sucks I can't play with them yet. Shit!

I'm not entirely sure what I can and cannot say, but I had a lot of fun and I'm excited to see what's in store for the game! Day one purchase for me

Hawk269

Testing servers and looking for real time bugs. It's not the current state.

I not in the alpha, have signed up since day one, read all the insider emails, but have not been selected...but I know a few that have and they love the game. The belief from some are that this is a very small piece of the bigger pie and that it is mainly for testing servers and bugs etc. like you said. I am hoping that is accurate, because of all the videos and stuff I have read sounds great, but it needs to have a lot of content to keep people playing and it has to have a good "loot" hook that will keep people playing.

I hope there is a good mix of out on seas and exploration on land, finding caves and bosses on islands for good loot etc.

Dabanton

First time playing today and it was great. First people I matched with only one was using a mic who left within 5 mins. So after 20 mins of silence I backed up out of that one as well.

Next group was massively better everyone on the mic, talking saying what ship tasks they were going to do. One of the guys really explained the sailing mechanics so we were using the wind to our advantage. Amazing stuff.

I like how the mechanics are not easy but also not crazily complex, they're very learnable. But boy are mics very important in this game.

Sydle

First time playing today and it was great. First people I matched with only one was using a mic who left within 5 mins. So after 20 mins of silence I backed up out of that one as well.

Next group was massively better everyone on the mic, talking saying what ship tasks they were going to do. One of the guys really explained the sailing mechanics so we were using the wind to our advantage. Amazing stuff.

I like how the mechanics are not easy but also not crazily complex, they're very learnable. But boy are mics very important in this game.

This. The game feels amazing when the whole crew are communicating with each other.

I hope in matchmaking you can specify that you'd like to be matched only with people who use mics. It might also be cool if they somehow tracked the success rate of crews who communicate vs. those who don't and show the vast difference between the two on a loading screen or something, encouraging people to use their mic.

JlNX

This. The game feels amazing when the whole crew are communicating with each other.

I hope in matchmaking you can specify that you'd like to be matched only with people who use mics. It might also be cool if they somehow tracked the success rate of crews who communicate vs. those who don't and show the vast difference between the two on a loading screen or something, encouraging people to use their mic.

They have said they are looking into a system to match mic users with other mic users.

Tawpgun

That's great.
I think in one of ththink podcasts or YouTube vids they also mentioned some sort of system where you can communicate without a mic. Probably a radial menu with commands or something. At least give the non speakers some level of playability.

I think in one of ththink podcasts or YouTube vids they also mentioned some sort of system where you can communicate without a mic. Probably a radial menu with commands or something. At least give the non speakers some level of playability.

Ehhh... I'm not sure it's really doable. Emotes like "follow me" would help (hell, make it a voiced thing like the kind Overwatch has), but at the end of the day there's just too much going on lol. Can you imagine trying to conduct a ship-to-ship battle through emotes?

Rev3rb

Shouldn't you not be posting about the insider emails? Do you not know how an NDA works?

In a coconut shell, it simply means that you're now allowed to discuss and share the information in these emails, but sharing gameplay footage and/or images is still forbidden. We know this sounds rather daunting to read, but it's crucial to our continued development, and we really appreciate your continued support.

NDA was updated back in Feb.

Tawpgun

Shouldn't you not be posting about the insider emails? Do you not know how an NDA works?

NDA was updated back in Feb.

Yeah dummy!

You can also share general impressions.

As for the emotes/command menu. No... its not ideal. And Yes... a communicating crew will have a bigger advantage. But thats the same with any multiplayer coop/pvp game. This at least gives those people a chance. Plus, emotes are fun as hell lol

Why do people play this without a mic?

I think it might be a bug issue. I finally got in to a game and I couldn't hear anyone else on my crew and I don't think they could hear me either.

EDIT: I thought we were allowed to talk about this stuff now. Going to double check.
EDIT2: So I guess we can't talk about specific features? Thought it was just images and video we couldn't share.

You can also share general impressions.

I don't think that's accurate?

They've allowed discussions on their insider forums (which anyone can sign up for) and sharing their emails. I don't think they've allowed discussions outside the insider forum?

c. Do not describe any part of the Game on any venue unless we've instructed you to

That's still listed in the NDA.

I don't care if people break the NDA, just trying to make sure people aren't mislead.

Tawpgun

They've said you can share impressions but not sure if thats relegated to the forums or not. There's a certain post on the insider forums that shows a great vision for the game but I was told I can't share it. Trying to get clarification on sharing impressions outside the forums now.

Sydle

It's definitely a little confusing, but after reviewing here's my take on it.

Essentially, there are two categories of discussion for Alpha players:
  • Stories: your experience as a whole and what happened to you and your crew can be posted in the Insiders section of the forum in a specific thread in addition to the Alpha section. NOT your thoughts, opinions, issues, beliefs, or feedback.
  • Feedback: Things you liked, disliked, felt needed changing, or bug reports are for the Alpha section of the forum only.

You can discuss anything that Rare has posted publicly anywhere you like, but you cannot share what would be considered your feedback based on hands-on experience anywhere outside of the Alpha forum of the section. Anything not yet publicly disclosed by Rare that was in the Alpha is only for the Alpha section of the forums.

The part that seems to be tripping people up is that you can share your stories in the Insiders section of the forum, so long as you don't reveal any features not yet publicly disclosed. On the latest podcast they discussed how some people on Reddit shared what would qualify as stories and they appeared to be fine with some of it, so it appears where alpha players can share stories is under consideration, but they haven't changed the NDA terms to allow it.

They've said you can share impressions but not sure if thats relegated to the forums or not. There's a certain post on the insider forums that shows a great vision for the game but I was told I can't share it. Trying to get clarification on sharing impressions outside the forums now.

I think I know what you're talking about. Maybe watch the last 15 minutes or so of the latest podcast Rare posted on YouTube for public consumption and, assuming you can only share the extent of what's in the video, run it by them what you'd like to share. I'd be interested to see what they say.

Ushay

This looks pretty good, but it's still missing something crucial for me personally. Story or a Narrative of some sort.

Tawpgun

This looks pretty good, but it's still missing something crucial for me personally. Story or a Narrative of some sort.

Keep in mind its not even a public beta. Its a technical alpha to provide feedback on only certain systems. The full game is planned to be much more rich in content.

Theorry

"Sea of Thieves‏ @SeaOfThieves
We're having SEVEN more Xbox One Technical Alpha play sessions next week and inviting 10,000 more pirates aboard! Check your emails tonight."

Theorry

It sure does. Even on OG Xbox One it looked really nice and ran also good already.
Btw people played the PC alpha? How was it?

Top Bottom