• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Announcing the Sea of Thieves Technical Alpha - December 16th-18th

Tawpgun

Pray for the servers.

Check the recent insider email as well, looks like we are getting a shiny new toy this build.

Simo

Well hot damn I got in the alpha! Looks like a good time too given the newest insider news.

If you get in the alpha, are you automatically in any future alpha tests?

Electret

I know it's late in the game, but if anyone wants to party up for tomorrow's alpha, PM me and we'll exchange gamertags. It would be fun to play with gaffers.

Gamertag is GammaLyra

Simo

Mine is DGSimo and it'll be my first forray into the alpha so I'm stoked!!

I rarely use my Xbox honestly so I can't remember if I got a headset or piece with the S? Lol

Typical, I fire up the Xbone and I have to download an update instead of getting my pirate on.

Matchmaking is not working for the thus far. Not good! I had better get in.

Keep trying. This happened the last time they opened up the Alpha and the servers got hammered from all the extra player, I kept getting errors but eventually it worked.

Simo

Got in no problem. Had a ball but had to leave. Lol

We were doing good until a new crew member joined up and moved the Chest of Sorrows and sank us. :/

Strootman

Saw a video of the alpha, it's one of the best looking game of this generation. Hopefully it will have the same level of quality for gameplay and contents.

This game is just so fucking good. Reminds me of Live back in the day when people communicated without trolling and just played to have fun.

The last couple of sessions I've had in the alpha over the last few weeks have been some of the most fun I've had playing a game in ages, playing with total randoms as well but everyone seems to be trying to play the game in the right way and actually help each other out.

Can't wait for them to open up more of the gameplay mechanics.

Strootman

This game is just so fucking good. Reminds me of Live back in the day when people communicated without trolling and just played to have fun.

The last couple of sessions I've had in the alpha over the last few weeks have been some of the most fun I've had playing a game in ages, playing with total randoms as well but everyone seems to be trying to play the game in the right way and actually help each other out.

That time never existed...

Electret

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by the cooperation and straightforwardness folks showed in my time with the alpha today. I can definitely see playing regularly with a GAF group if Rare can deliver quality content.

Dynasty

I aint that interested in the game that much tbh but have they mentioned anything about bosses like a Kraken, AI enemy Ghostships, Hydra etc. Honestly stuff like that could get me more interested in the game, having ship battles with human players is fun and all but there needs to be AI enemies that are threats and acts as buffers for ship combat to be more enticing for me. Two human controlled ships fighting each other and all of a sudden Kraken comes out and screws both teams over, the teams will then have lots of options. Run, work together, one team might use the kraken as a distraction to steal the treasure of the opposing team.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I didn't really read the legally binding document (nda) are we allowed to share impressions/experiences?

I aint that interested in the game that much tbh but have they mentioned anything about bosses like a Kraken, AI enemy Ghostships, Hydra etc. Honestly stuff like that could get me more interested in the game, having ship battles with human players is fun and all but there needs to be AI enemies that are threats and acts as buffers for ship combat to be more enticing for me. Two human controlled ships fighting each other and all of a sudden Kraken comes out and screws both teams over, the teams will then have lots of options. Run, work together, one team might use the kraken as a distraction to steal the treasure of the opposing team.

Yup that's going to be my biggest sticking point. No game has been able to tow that line between proper AI threats and a free form sandbox PVP type experience. It could be something magical, but otherwise it will just be a PVP combat pirate simulator.

Simo

I think so but I haven't followed much of their recent developments or podcasts. They've mentioned Voyages being more objective or main quests that you can do but mostly want players to carve out their own narratives. That said there were AI threats in the alpha and my hour or so time today, I never encountered another crew or ship.

They recently talked about you can be a Merchant if you like going about tansporting goods or if pesky pirate players are praying on these merchants or others then you and your crew can be bounty hunters to go after those swines!

Game really is ambitious and telling my friend about it today, the feel is more along I guess POTC because of the undead and other supernatural stuff. Loved it!

I have insider forum access, and good to see the forums are actually pretty active....unfortunately I still haven't gotten an invite so this is just a big fucking tease :(.

Theorry

I just dont know if the state the game is in now is the close to the build they are working on. Or is this a really slimmed down build just to test the servers, matchmaking etc.
If its the first one. Then this game is not coming out in 2017.

I feel theres a good base here, but expanding on it is NECESARY if Rare wants to create a game with an active playerbase. I know development isnt close to being over, so hopefully my issues will be addressed by then.

gamz

I just dont know if the state the game is in now is the close to the build they are working on. Or is this a really slimmed down build just to test the servers, matchmaking etc.
If its the first one. Then this game is not coming out in 2017.

Testing servers and looking for real time bugs. It's not the current state.

Top Bottom