• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anodyne |OT| Indie Zelda-Like

Boerseun

Banned
Gameplay vs. Graphics

ALL THE WAY

But I am getting tired of playing games that look like shit on purpose without any meaningful context as to why that particular look was chosen by the developers (aside from "we're rubbish at drawing").

Gameplay vs. Graphics

ALL THE WAY

But I am getting tired of playing games that look like shit on purpose without any meaningful context as to why that particular look was chosen by the developers (aside from "we're rubbish at drawing").

Says the person with a Harvest Moon avatar.....

llehuty

I didn't expect much from this, but somehow I've spent the last 3 hours playing it.

I love the ideas and overall atmosphere of the game. It's not something completely new, but not every game has to reinvent the wheel. The writing is also quite good, and some of genre made me chuckle. It's true that it plays the artsy card a couple of times, but it looks like the developer is truly trying to tell something. As it has been said before, I don't expect a wrap everything up ending, but who knows.

The jumping sections suck, though.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Posted this in the Custom Steam icons for Grid View thread but forgot to post them in here.

For anyone who bought Anodyne ($1 minimum).

LLMoF40.png
voQz9Ck.png

Here's the OT: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511997

Josh7289

All you people hating on the graphics, I hate you all.

Okay I don't hate you, but what the fuck!

Also, is this game any fun?

llehuty

Finished the game.

ikPoSlSLBMQR1.jpg

Got very frustrating at the end, but quick loading times and abundant checkpoints avoided rage quitting.

After ending the game, it unlocks a powerup
swapping tiles
needed for unlocking all the cards (48), and some extra objects, which I still don't know if they are only collectables or something else.

IMO, enough content for the entry price. Special mention for the atmospheric OST.

ibeiNAjYizxmJA.jpg

It seems like the developer is basically encouraging people to just torrent it on thepiratebay and pay later if you like it. I'd go that route, but I'm not sure I even have that level of interest in the game. I just noticed he paid for that homepage spot on piratebay, so don't feel bad about going that way if you're on the fence. He is promoting pirating the game himself.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It seems like the developer is basically encouraging people to just torrent it on thepiratebay and pay later if you like it. I'd go that route, but I'm not sure I even have that level of interest in the game. I just noticed he paid for that homepage spot on piratebay, so don't feel bad about going that way if you're on the fence. He is promoting pirating the game himself.

I don't think this is encouraging people to pirate it, more trying to at least take advantage of the inevitable for a little promotion.
While I of course prefer if you bought Anodyne (as we worked a lot on it), I understand that not everyone is able to purchase it. I guess what's more important is that more people get to experience the game. In any case, if you enjoyed Anodyne and have the funds, feel free to purchase the game from https://sites.fastspring.com/anodynegame/instant/anodyne or send me money at seagaia@f-m.fm . Anodyne was made by two guys - Sean Hogan (me -) and Jonathan Kittaka). We'd love to continue making games and any financial support we can get helps!

Of course he can't not know people who are able to pay will still simply download it, but he doesn't tell them to go ahead.

At least it worked a little.

http://seagaia.wordpress.com/2013/02/18/anodyne-pirate-bay-promo-post-mortem/

And where did you see he paid for it? He says it only cost $7, all of it to his host for the additional traffic generated.

Drakken

Played for a bit over an hour the other night. Definite Zelda feel. Beat the first dungeon as well as the cliffs dungeon (?), which I just happened to wander into. That was kind of cool - I wasn't positive I was in a dungeon till I started getting keys and eventually fought a boss. I'm glad the checkpoints are so generous.

Definitely digging the atmospheric soundtrack. I can't get that title screen music out of my head.

Marlowe89

Also, is this game any fun?

If you're fond of atmosphere, go for it. The puzzles are really nothing special for me so far though.

I personally haven't finished the game yet, but I have to admit I'm fairly impressed with it overall. Sean Hogan has my appreciation for the Desura key.

Lijik

Played for a bit over an hour the other night. Definite Zelda feel. Beat the first dungeon as well as the cliffs dungeon (?), which I just happened to wander into. That was kind of cool - I wasn't positive I was in a dungeon till I started getting keys and eventually fought a boss. I'm glad the checkpoints are so generous.

Definitely digging the atmospheric soundtrack. I can't get that title screen music out of my head.

Thats definitely my favorite thing about this game. You're not really sure you're in a dungeon into you've stumbled into. Great sense of exploration and atmosphere.
The jumping sections are so wonky, I think Im about halfway done but I can already see how they'd be a major pain late in the game. Only downside so far imo. The game is really evocative of playing Links Awakening for the first time as a kid. The strange world and NPCs, sense of exploration, and some of the puzzles (i think the broom/dust mechanic is pretty neat) make for an incredible experience so far.

Its too bad this thread is mostly gaffers bashing the graphics, because I think this is a great game (also I like the style though I can see some people's qualms with the gradient shading and rendered lighting)

Dascu

Played about two "dungeons" so far, ventured into the cliffs and got the jumping ability.

Very fun little game. I like the artstyle, atmosphere and music. Gameplay is fairly simple, but effective. The world/level design is quite nice as well.

Crub

I'm surprised at how much I am enjoying this! I was expecting a decent game at best. Ended up playing for 2.5 hours straight during my first session.

Crub

Send an email to the contact address on the site with your order details and you should get one.

Which version are you playing?That puzzle was disabled because it was too difficult I think, at least in some versions.

Steam version! Maybe the puzzle wouldn't be so hard to solve if I at least knew what I'm supposed to do. :(

Do you know where I can find the solution?

flowsnake

Steam version! Maybe the puzzle wouldn't be so hard to solve if I at least knew what I'm supposed to do. :(

Do you know where I can find the solution?

That must be newer than mine because it was just unlocked already for me. No idea about the solution myself.

general_tso

Neo Member
the puzzle was re-added to the 1.506 version (steam and others now have it), but with clues that are not misleading. even if you don't understand the clues completely it should still be brute forceable (hint: the clue near the puzzle itself is the most important)

Crub

I found the answer by going to GameFaqs. I did quite a bit of brute forcing beforehand but didn't realize that the location of the images mattered, nor that one colored block already was at the correct position. The issues I had was probably mostly due to my stupidity and English not being my first language, but either way I don't think it's a very cleaver puzzle. The puzzle in itself is really easy and the difficulty solely lies in trying to figure out the objective.

linko9

Just 100% completed this game. I'd voted for it on Greenlight a while back, and a week ago I went to check if any of the games I voted for had been greenlit, and saw that this game was out! Shame that I somehow missed the news when it came out.

Extremely minor spoilers below, I suppose:

I love it. This is one of my favorite games I've played in a while. I think the visuals, audio, ambiance, and most importantly gameplay are just wonderful. It manages to both successfully recreate the important aspects of Link's Awakening, and at the same time feel completely fresh. I've never played Fez, but from what I hear, the first half of the game is a simple-ish platformer, and the second half is where the real fun starts. That's exactly how this game felt. Except that the first "traditional" half is just a great game by itself; I had no idea that the second half was coming, and it's a gameplay mechanic that's executed perfectly, and that feels like nothing else I've done in any game. I was a bit disappointed that there was no big payoff or anything for completing all the post-game stuff, but the journey itself was enjoyable enough in and of itself. Extremely impressed that two guys could pull this off, and am looking forward to what they do next! Everyone must check this game out!

Kard8p3

I just downloaded it and played for about an hour. I'm really enjoying this. Nice to get new old school zelda like game.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Rise!

Since this game just got Steam Card support, I decided to actually play this one as opposed to just idleing...

And I gotta say, while the Zelda charm is there, I can't seem to find much of the things that keep bringing me back to a Zelda game.

The lack of Overworld Map, for one, kills this game.

Top Bottom