• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another 3DS Firmware Update!! (Themes)

Is there a way to preview themes without buying them?

Also, can you adjust them music? I'm getting internet 1998 vibes thinking about mandatory "ambient" music.
Yes hit up the theme shop, top option where you change themes. It shows a small image of what it looks like and givens details about the wallpaper (panoramic animated etc) It doesn't let you preview music though (it tells you what it is though*). The theme shop also had its own muzak.

*-Pretty useless for the non-game ones. I have no clue what "Elegance" on the Hanufuda theme even means. Another example is "Chill time" on the Chess Board one.

M3d10n

I noticed a few changes and tweaks besides the themes too.

- There's a callout/tooltip that shows received notifications directly in the home menu now, so you can view their titles without loading the notification app. The notifications app loads quite a bit faster too.

- You can force games that were set to "download later" to download right away directly from the home menu now. There's a popup with a progress bar and everything.

- The theme menu and theme shop can be accessed even while a game is suspended, which is quite neat.

Tom_Cody

Yes hit up the theme shop, top option where you change themes. It shows a small image of what it looks like and givens details about the wallpaper (panoramic animated etc) It doesn't let you preview music though (it tells you what it is though*). The theme shop also had its own muzak.

*-Pretty useless for the non-game ones. I have no clue what "Elegance" on the Hanufuda theme even means. Another example is "Chill time" on the Chess Board one.

Thanks guys.

I'm kind of torn on these featuring music. IMO the music in the various Mario themes as well as the LBW theme is kind of the wrong tone for menu music. It's weird to hear remixed mario music if you are about to jump into a session with Bravely Default, etc. That said, I do enjoy the more ambient music featured in the Hanafuda theme and the three different tracks spread between the black themes (1: Chess Board, Stripes, and Polka Dots) and the gold themes (2: Polka Dots and 3: Stars). The Hanafuda theme seems like the clear winner for my tastes, though I might bite on the black or gold ones if I end up wanting a change in music eventually.

Btw, here's a good video of the music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaE6_2o2pRA

Adamator

I noticed a few changes and tweaks besides the themes too.

- There's a callout/tooltip that shows received notifications directly in the home menu now, so you can view their titles without loading the notification app.

I'm sorry but can you explain what you mean by this? I don't see anything different with notifications. Maybe I'm just not seeing the change.

Thanks!

I'm sorry but can you explain what you mean by this? I don't see anything different with notifications. Maybe I'm just not seeing the change.

Thanks!

There's a popup on the touch screen that shows you your latest notifications, instead of having to go into the app itself to see your notifications.

Adamator

There's a popup on the touch screen that shows you your latest notifications, instead of having to go into the app itself to see your notifications.

Ah ok. Does it only happen when you have the system open and are using it? Most of my notifications come when I have the system closed.

Ninja Dom

Every time I browse the topics in Gaming Discussion and I see this thread I think there's Another 3DS Firmware. Then I see Themes and realise I just got that yesterday.

Page 23 of the system settings manual has info on the microSD management for New 3DS owners. Given it mentioned the "Nintendo 3DS" folder looks like you can copy everything off the card (there was speculation you could only copy the photos and music)

Likewise page 26 mentions the Super-Stable 3D function and page 30 covers the conundrum of I do a system transfer to a New 3DS how do I insert an SD card into a micro SD slot (you can wirelessly transfer to the microSD during the system transfer, if you do limited data sounds like only saves get transfered).

Ah ok. Does it only happen when you have the system open and are using it? Most of my notifications come when I have the system closed.
I got blue light, opened it up and then it showed the notification title. I await the Streetpass relays, Youtube, Miiversde and Steel Diver Sub wars spam that I get at least once a week (if you turn it off it means losing out on other notifications). Turns out there is a notification limit so these dupes are getting rid of all my Fire Emblem notices :(

I know Japan already got one so...
Actually I heard Japan doesn't get the theme shop until New 3DS comes out.

I'd expect theme to be slowly rolled out in any case.

adroit

Hmm it might have glitched local streetpasses as well. This morning spare system (previous owners NNID & digital bvounty so I'm weary of taking it online) which was not updated got streetpasses from my main but in return my main got nothing.

I think last night it worked but that may have been before I updated the main.
Yesterday I got a local StreetPass. But I got zero relay StreetPasses from the big AT&T store where I usually get six.

Maybe updated systems can't StreetPass with non-updated systems. And maybe that's the same reason relay StreetPasses aren't working either. They might start working once people with updated 3DSes walk past them.

Yesterday I got a local StreetPass. But I got zero relay StreetPasses from the big AT&T store where I usually get six.

Maybe updated systems can't StreetPass with non-updated systems. And maybe that's the same reason relay StreetPasses aren't working either. They might start working once people with updated 3DSes walk past them.
Chopper made a thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=908642
It would seem some relay SSIDs have stopped working.

As for me, still under investigation (I'm wondering if the 8 hour cooldown get changed) but I can get a firmware 8.x and firmware 9.x system to pass with each other.

JoeM86

First image of the Pokémon ones

themes.jpg

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
There's no way to change the music and keep the background image is there? I wish I could have the Yoshi theme with the default menu music. The theme ones are all too grating.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Page 23 of the system settings manual has info on the microSD management for New 3DS owners. Given it mentioned the "Nintendo 3DS" folder looks like you can copy everything off the card (there was speculation you could only copy the photos and music)

Likewise page 26 mentions the Super-Stable 3D function and page 30 covers the conundrum of I do a system transfer to a New 3DS how do I insert an SD card into a micro SD slot (you can wirelessly transfer to the microSD during the system transfer, if you do limited data sounds like only saves get transfered).

I got blue light, opened it up and then it showed the notification title. I await the Streetpass relays, Youtube, Miiversde and Steel Diver Sub wars spam that I get at least once a week (if you turn it off it means losing out on other notifications). Turns out there is a notification limit so these dupes are getting rid of all my Fire Emblem notices :(

Actually I heard Japan doesn't get the theme shop until New 3DS comes out.

I'd expect theme to be slowly rolled out in any case.

Yeah, just read a bit what's new in the settings manual. You know, maybe it could deserve a brand new thread, since it seems you can actually transfer everything wirelessly, and not just photos and music files.

Javier

Is the battery wearing down faster for anyone else since the update? I would take my 3DS to work and keep it on sleep mode for 10 hours and the battery would remain full. Now it wears down to half in the same amount of time.

BowieZ

Banned
They really need to update the bottom half of the themes. They're way too cluttered considering how much stuff sits on top of them.

I had to magnify all my icons to the biggest size to account for this, and even then, it's still a bit garish.

derwalde

well this update killed my 3ds XL. its booting with 2 black screens now. i can enter the update menu (L+R+Up+A) just fine, but thats it ("latest update installed"). nothing happens.

Effect

Picked up the Link Between Worlds and the Hanafuda themes. Pretty nice. I wish there was more to them but they do make the menu less dull.

well this update killed my 3ds XL. its booting with 2 black screens now. i can enter the update menu (L+R+Up+A) just fine, but thats it ("latest update installed"). nothing happens.
I take it you've tried the obvious thing of booting without an SD card inserted (I just wonder if a 3DS can banner brick like a Wii could). The fact you can still access system settings (I assume that is what the button combo does) gives hope that the next firmware update might give you a solution.

derwalde

I take it you've tried the obvious thing of booting without an SD card inserted (I just wonder if a 3DS can banner brick like a Wii could). The fact you can still access system settings (I assume that is what the button combo does) gives hope that the next firmware update might give you a solution.

yeah i tried that. well i hope the next fw update comes soon lol :/

yeah i tried that. well i hope the next fw update comes soon lol :/

Not to point out the obvious but have you actually tried waiting a while on the black screens? My original 3DS took its sweet time booting the first time when booting this firmware. Either way I hope you get it fixed :/

And I'm not sure what I should do, I'm so conflicted because the music of the Gold Stars theme is amazing but the actual theme is meh, I wish we could mix and match D:

Seriously though that music of the Gold Stars theme is just wow o.o

bobawesome

adroit

Many thanks for the link. I wasn't even thinking new thread. I just figured it would have been posted in some other existing thread. But new thread it is. Subbed.

Experien

Not sure where to post this but...my gf was late to DL this firmware so she tried last night. Only problem was her wifi (router?) sucks and it errored mid-DL and she tried a few more times and nothing worked.

She resetted her router, turned off and on her 3DS, deleted & re-entered wifi password, and still no avail...any ideas?

Was there a Maintenance last night? Nintendo's site doesn't list past ones but claims there is one tonight.

I want to buy a theme or two on my other 3DS but that NNID has no money in the wallet. Would I be okay redeeming a $5 eShop voucher from my primary NNID's Digital Deluxe Promotion or would it be safer to go buy a $10 card from the store?

I just got this update, sorry.

So you can only image share screenshots of your Desktop afaik??
Can't share images from games, nor images taken with 3ds cam. Plus they force a bunch of hashtags on there. Am i missing something??
Can it maybe share animal crossing screenshots since those can be taken w/out miiverse?

This is a big miss, right? Classic ntndo?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I just got this update, sorry.

So you can only image share screenshots of your Desktop afaik??
Can't share images from games, nor images taken with 3ds cam. Plus they force a bunch of hashtags on there. Am i missing something??
Can it maybe share animal crossing screenshots since those can be taken w/out miiverse?

This is a big miss, right? Classic ntndo?

The screenshot option only takes a screenshot of the desktop, but the image share site can upload screenshots from multiple sites since it just opens the photo browser for you to select an image, so if a game sends screenshots to that when you can share without Miiverse. Also you can go to other image upload sites and upload images and not just Nintendo's.

Top Bottom