• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another person in my life has been deported for being an undocumented immigrant

Status
Not open for further replies.

NandoGip

I just need to vent, wall of text incoming I guess..

Today I received word that my good friend was taken in by ICE while working this past weekend. I guess he's been in jail for a few days while waiting for court on the 20th. He told me he hasn't been able to bathe, brush his teeth, or eat food. In his words "it's been a living hell".

This isn't the first time a friend or family member of mine has gone through this. Chances are, he'll be deported. Maybe he'll sneak back into the country? That's what every one else I know did.

To give background, I was born in this country. In the mid 80's to the mid 90's many south americans illegally immigrated to this country, and two of them were my parents. Thankfully for my brothers and I, my parents had the sense to give birth to us in the U.S. making us citizens. None of my friends growing up could say the same.

Can you imagine growing up in this country since you were 2, 3, 4 years old, but not being legal? It's one thing to hate an undocumented immigrant who chose to come in illegally, but how can you hate someone who never had an option? Their entire lives were exactly the same as yours.

The town I grew up in had a large south american community. Thousands of people. It wasn't until I was about 16 that I realized that every boy I hung out with since I was young, was illegal. The reason I realized is that when it came time to get a drivers license and a car, I was the only one that could.

Next, high school graduation came. I was never the smartest one in my group, but some of the kids were borderline genius. The most intelligent of the group was dead set on college, but because he was undocumented, they had to pay out of state tuition, and set up this huge system of him technically living in another state. Not only did he have to go through all this effort, but pay much more than the kid that sat next to him in class his entire life, all from a decision that he didn't even make, from when he was 2 years old.

The next time it hit me, was in my early twenties. I had a corporate job, enjoying all the benefits that came with it. Paid time off, health insurance, etc. Most of my friends? A combination of labor and restaurant jobs.. some had fake identities so maybe they found something else, but good luck getting a real job with a fake social.

A few of them were the types that nothing could stop them. Opened up their own construction businesses using a network of loopholes and they've doing great for themselves, especially for being in their mid-20's. The type of guys that if they were legal would probably on their way to being millionaires somehow.

I've only spoken about my friends, but my mother was actually legalized a few years ago. She went about 25 years as an undocumented immigrant running a house keeping business. Once my older brother turned 21, my mother hired a lawyer, and she's been a legal citizen ever since. I'll never forget that day, not having to fear for your mother being ripped out of your life. She entered school at 50 years old, graduated and works in the medical field.

My father though, was deported. Thankfully (if that's the right word) he wasn't a major part of my life. The court date was brutal though, even with us being estranged. They broadcasted his face on a tv instead of having him in court. Looked like he aged 20 years in just a few weeks. That was the last time I've ever seen him.

A few of my uncles were deported as well. Seeing my young cousins going through that was devastating. They snuck back in though. A few parents of friends were deported and returned the same way. It's just a day in the life for us I guess.

It sucks because for all of the good things that Obama did with DREAM and etc, he was bad also due to his high number of deportations. Being from a community highly connected to anything immigration-related, I can personally attest that fear has only heightened thanks to Trump. I can only offer anecdotes, but I feel that ICE has become emboldened. Only time will tell.

To the people who have a hardline stance against undocumented immigrants, I ask you to find some compassion because the majority of people here illegally come from backgrounds you can't imagine living in. Third world countries, gangs, corrupt governments, war, terror, famine. They are good people. Many immigrants pay taxes, because they know it can be a factor once they inevitably get caught. Of course there are some bad people, but that's human nature.

I won't disagree that breaking the law is breaking the law, but why does the kid who has been here for 24 out of his 26 years deserve to shipped off to another country? No job prospects. a lack of mastery of the language, no education applicable to the country, no friends, no family. Prison would be better.

I just needed to get these thoughts off of my chest. I don't have a solution, but I guess I'm just sad right now for my friend.

The imigration process needs serious reform. Im very sorry op, thats terrible. There is no reason people should have to jump through the hoops they do to be allowed here. America is a country of imigrants and we need to remember that

Boney

Banned
Immigration laws are completely fucked up, I'm sorry this is happening to you and to him.

Amy Goodman describes this as the modern day civil rights movement, and she is right. Numerous people were willing to get deported to stand up to Obama because they knew how bad it was going to get if Obama a moderate was the president who deported more immigrants than any other president.

https://youtu.be/SXTtHKN1vTQ
Give her speech a go and it might push you to help the community with everything you can and stand up to this injustice.

geomon

The situation is complete bullshit. There's no reason to deport these people if they aren't violent or gang affiliated. Have them pay a fine and have them start a naturalization process.

It's these shithead politicians that want to look tough on something. Tough on crime, tough on drugs, tough on immigration, so they go after the weakest and most vulnerable.

Glix

I'm so sorry OP. It's small comfort but know that myself and many others here on GAF support you and your friends and your family.

There really needs to be better legal ways to move to the US. Right now there's so much administrative bullshit that it's almost impossible unless you're rich or marry a citizen.

Looks like Trump wants to get rid of every undocumented, not just the serious criminals. I wonder how bad South America really is for people to be this desperate. Governments there are really failing their citizens.

I support the DREAM act, but I also feel that immigrants should follow the proper channels. It's definitely a tough one. I certainly do not support the idea of ICE roaming the street and hunting undocumented immigrants like dogcatchers... that's dehumanizing.

On a personal level, that is a pretty gut-wrenching story. I'm thankful I've never had to deal with that sort of anxiety.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm sorry to hear so many of the people you know/care for have been deported.

My mother was pregnant with me when she crossed. I'm extremely happy and grateful she did. I could easily be in the situation that countless others are in.

In my life, I have never feared my mother or father being deported. Not until the piece of shit was voted into office. They have lived here for over 30 years. They don't know what the fuck Colombia is anymore. They are American. And it fills me with sadness and anger when I read/hear people against undocumented immigrants. Like someone in your fucking family didn't hop on a boat or crossed over to get here.

I don't know anything about the lives and struggles of undocumented immigrants, so thank you for shedding a light on that. I'm hopeful there is reform on this front, to make it easier to get employment in higher paying jobs if you have the skills.

Ric Flair

Banned
The funniest thing is these people want to (by and large) contribute to the community and economy, and we kick them out because a group of old white people in rural America don't like the idea of a Mexican not having to 'work' for their American citizenship. These people, whom have never had to really work a single day in their fucking lives , who get all the best privalages of living in suburban/ rural White America.

NandoGip

Immigration laws are completely fucked up, I'm sorry this is happening to you and to him.

Amy Goodman describes this as the modern day civil rights movement, and she is right. Numerous people were willing to get deported to stand up to Obama because they knew how bad it was going to get if Obama a moderate was the president who deported more immigrants than any other president.

https://youtu.be/SXTtHKN1vTQ
Give her speech a go and it might push you to help the community with everything you can and stand up to this injustice.

I mean like I can't even feel bad for myself, it's my friend who's going through hell right now. I will check out that speech, and I've always considered getting involved somehow but it's difficult to know how to make the best impact. No matter what, I'm going to contribute some how.

The situation is complete bullshit. There's no reason to deport these people if they aren't violent or gang affiliated. Have them pay a fine and have them start a naturalization process.

It's these shithead politicians that want to look tough on something. Tough on crime, tough on drugs, tough on immigration, so they go after the weakest and most vulnerable.

I agree. Politicians have invented this boogie man called the illegal immigrant to motivate their base to vote, all the while they're passing laws that fatten each others wallets.

I'm so sorry OP. It's small comfort but know that myself and many others here on GAF support you and your friends and your family.

I appreciate that. As an American citizen from birth, I'm put in situations with people who regurgitate the bullshit political talking points about immigrants and I just want to lash out.

There really needs to be better legal ways to move to the US. Right now there's so much administrative bullshit that it's almost impossible unless you're rich or marry a citizen.

Looks like Trump wants to get rid of every undocumented, not just the serious criminals. I wonder how bad South America really is for people to be this desperate. Governments there are really failing their citizens.

I know legal immigrants right now, and they fear for their (very delicate) situations as well. This one woman, she runs the international business department for an organization in my area. She has been going through the legal immigration process for at least 5 years now. As soon as word broke about the bans, even though she is not muslim, and not from any of the countries, the CEO ordered that anyone in the immigration process to stay in the country for the time being.

I support the DREAM act, but I also feel that immigrants should follow the proper channels. It's definitely a tough one. I certainly do not support the idea of ICE roaming the street and hunting undocumented immigrants like dogcatchers... that's dehumanizing.

On a personal level, that is a pretty gut-wrenching story. I'm thankful I've never had to deal with that sort of anxiety.

I agree that people should follow the proper channels, but I urge you to look into the incredible amount of effort and luck it takes for someone to legally immigrate into the U.S.

Also, the way you painted a picture of ICE roaming, is the reality in many places today. They walk around in plain clothes, at bus stops, train stations, restaurants. The other day they raided a local restaurant and threw a couple cooks in the back of a van.

I'm sorry to hear so many of the people you know/care for have been deported.

My mother was pregnant with me when she crossed. I'm extremely happy and grateful she did. I could easily be in the situation that countless others are in.

In my life, I have never feared my mother or father being deported. Not until the piece of shit was voted into office. They have lived here for over 30 years. They don't know what the fuck Colombia is anymore. They are American. And it fills me with sadness and anger when I read/hear people against undocumented immigrants. Like someone in your fucking family didn't hop on a boat or crossed over to get here.

We're both very lucky. I agree with your sentiments completely..

I feel for you OP, I really do. What gets me the most is that the majority of people in this world (more specifically this country/US) will never be put in one of the most stressful decisions that will impact how you live your life forever. The decision between choosing between your country and your family. It's a decision I hope no one ever has to go through, but if it does happen, the lessons learned in sympathy towards immigrants/refugees/illegals happens quick and the impact is strong.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
As a third person and on a surface, to me it seems that there is nothing wrong in deportation if legal route was not followed when coming. But I also understand that the issue might be deeper. Can someone guide me to a link or video where I can look at the other side of the argument (or both sides) in a neutral and emotionally unencumbered way?

emag

As a third person and on a surface, to me it seems that there is nothing wrong in deportation if legal route was not followed when coming.

I support the DREAM act, but I also feel that immigrants should follow the proper channels.

There are no proper channels. Legal immigration to the US is only available for direct job hires, refugees (miniscule openings with stringent requirements), immediate family of US citizens (often 24+ year long line), or a small lottery for countries without much emigration to the US. The vast majority of undocumented immigrants don't qualify under any of those provisions.

Sakura

I think there should be a process for kids who were brought by their parents, with no choice of their own, to stay in the states. Maybe not outright citizenship from the get go, but an easy legal path for them to stay there.
At the same time, if their parents weren't able to illegally get into the country in the first place, this wouldn't be a problem that exists today. I think there should be more done to stop people coming illegally into the states, but the kids shouldn't be punished.

CrocoDuck

I'm with you op. My parents came to this country illegally as well, from Mexico. It took my father 15 years to become a US citizen; my mother is now a resident and is in the process of citizenship, she got it through a similar way in which she hired a lawyer and used me to protest for her when I turned 21.

At my job where I work, along with my father, employs a few undocumented immigrants. It's fucking depressing since these are hardworking people who I have know since I was child. They have kids and don't have any criminal backgrounds.

I asked them one time, if there was a path to citizenship would they take it. They said they would in a heartbeat, but I think what impedes them from trying is generally ignorance, cynicism, and fear. Apart from the low wages they receive (far below the minimum wage), they rely on their children for a chance of doing better than them. In some ways I think they are playing it safe, and when their children reach 21, they'll apply similarly with how I did with my mother.

commedieu

Banned
Sucks. Nothing else to really say. America utilizes illegal labor, and offers opportunity to people willing to risk their lives to get here.

Breaking law is bad, sure. But so is not addressing a known issue. If we accept the labor, we need to make a path for people to be here legally and contribute to our gdp, legally. Or at least have a system where you have a process.

Trump doesn't like minorities. The Mexican community is a easy target. Folks lied to themselves and said "it will only be the bad ones!!!" Most people with a sense of history, knew this wasn't going to be the deal. It never is. And it won't stop with mexicans. There is nothing about him that suggests they would spend time to do something logically. The Muslim ban, and open season on mexicans is proof of this. And well, every thing else he does.

This is a human rights violation the way these people are being rounded up and treated. We have room here, and there are jobs Americans will not do, and companies will not raise wages for americans. Immigration needs to open a door to those who want to be here and not kill anyone. If we didn't rely on damn near slave labor, things would be different. But we can't accept the labor, and demonize it. This is fundamentally broken.

I'm so sorry. This administration cares nothing for its citizens, especially immigrants and minorities. I hope they can get back in soon. Makes me angry and sick hearing about these stories, and feeling helpless to do anything about it other than voting.

My biggest fear is that my pregnant wife will be taken away because she was born in Saudi Arabia while her dad had a contracting job there, but they moved back to the US when she was 7 months old.

Jackpot

Banned
There has been a massive increase in stories on ICE raids and detention at airports on BS charges (see the holocaust surivor story just today). Has there been an increase in raids or just in reporting?

necrosis

my concern for members of my family has been magnified considerably since the election of this orange fuckhead

i can't imagine how i would feel in your position. i'm sorry

AoM

The funniest thing is these people want to (by and large) contribute to the community and economy, and we kick them out because a group of old white people in rural America don't like the idea of a Mexican not having to 'work' for their American citizenship. These people, whom have never had to really work a single day in their fucking lives , who get all the best privalages of living in suburban/ rural White America.

How'd you come to know this?

sinxtanx

He told me he hasn't been able to bathe, brush his teeth, or eat food. In his words "it's been a living hell".

what the fuck

I now realize I had some subconscious assumption for the deportation process to at least be humane but screw that I guess

NandoGip

Update: Court came and went, they pushed it back another month. Lawyer says he has a small chance of staying in the country.

Imagine being in jail for 2 months not knowing your fate, while your wife and kids are struggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom