• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another terrorist attack on Shia muslims in the Gulf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suen

So we have another attack targeting Shia muslims on a Shia gathering in one of the Gulf countries, Saudi Arabia - Qatif.Very surprising, maybe they want to have another Qatif Uprising.

Five people were killed after a gunman opened fire on a Shiite Muslim meeting hall on Friday in the Eastern city of Saihat, Al Arabiya News Channel correspondent reported.

Shortly after the attack, in which six people were also wounded, Saudi security forces said they killed the attacker and arrested two suspects linked with the incident.

Meanwhile, the Saudi-owned television channel Al Ekhbariya TV had quoted sources as saying that the “person who opened fire on a husseiniya was killed, and the attacker was in his twenties.”

The channel said the motive remained unclear.

A resident reached by telephone told Reuters that an attacker approached the meeting hall in a taxi but was stopped at a checkpoint. Police arrived and a gun battle broke out, which the resident said injured several people and left the attacker dead.

This is not the first time a Shiite site was targeted in the kingdom this year.

In August, a suicide bomber killed at least 15 people in an attack on a mosque used by members of a local security force in southwest Saudi Arabia.

In May, a suicide bomber blew himself up during Friday prayers at a mosque in the village of al-Qadeeh in eastern Saudi Arabia, killing at least 21 and wounding 81 others.

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) militant group claimed responsibility for both attacks.

Since the attacks, volunteer security guards have sprung up around holy sites in the largely Shiite Eastern province of the kingdom, whose rulers follow a strict version of Sunni Islam.

The militant group has also targeted Shiite mosques and places in other regional countries such as Kuwait and Iraq.

Source

Here's a video from a guy who was in the gathering when the shooting broke out. There's no blood or any gore, but you hear the shots and see Shia muslims panicking and running away from fear. The father on the bottom left (6th second of the video) grabbing his child and running away...absolutely terrifying.

Shuja Al Dawseri, ISIS new Bahrain(?) branch claimed they carried it out:

CRd_gegWwAAg1sL.jpg:large

This attack now adds on top of the two deadly bomb attacks back in May in Saudi Arabia. Both of them were carried out against Shia muslims who had gathered at their mosque. You also had another terrorist attack before that in Saudi Arabia when a gunman drove in high speed and shot Shia muslims on the streets. This summer you had a Saudi Arabian suicide bomber blowing hismelf up in a Shia mosque in Kuwait. These terrorists attack don't even include all war crimes against Yemeni Shias nor the oppression of Saudi Arabian, Bahraini and Kuwaiti Shias (with regard to Kuwait it's not as bad on a daily basis). If we go outside the Middle Eastern boundaries we have the oppression and killing of Shias in Afghanistan, Pakistan, and even the oppression in Indonesia and Malaysia. Going back to Middle east we have the almost daily bombings done by terrorist against Shia muslims in Iraq since 2003 and...well fuck the list could go on forever I suppose.

Sijil

To be killed by the followers of Yazid during Ashura, in a majlis remembering Hussein, that's a true honor. No one will care about this massacre, the West will keep supporting their puppet regime to further their own ends, it is to be expected.

Chariot

Because it's irrelevant to the discussion since it ended years before 9/11 and the subsequent redefinition of the word 'terrorism' to mean 'Islamic violence'?
You literally said "No non-Muslim violence is ever called terrorism." and I corrected you. Yo

It's depressing how Shia muslims are treated and attacked. You only have to ask sunni muslims on what they think of Shiites even in developed countries, the negative attitudes only legitimise these kind of actions.

Suen

Another attack on a Shia gathering in Bahrain (Dumistan) this time. People reported bullets fired from a car, fortunately no injuries.

DiscoJer

It's depressing how Shia muslims are treated and attacked. You only have to ask sunni muslims on what they think of Shiites even in developed countries, the negative attitudes only legitimise these kind of actions.

Who can't you say that about though? Seems like every religion in the region has suffered.

I'd say the Yezidis probably have the biggest complaints. The world didn't exactly step in to help them, either, lots of their women are still enslaved. .

edit: Or for that matter, so are those girls Boko Harum took. The world responded with a twitter hashtag, rather than a rescue mission.

Who can't you say that about though? Seems like every religion in the region has suffered.

I'd say the Yezidis probably have the biggest complaints. The world didn't exactly step in to help them, either, lots of their women are still enslaved. .

edit: Or for that matter, so are those girls Boko Harum took. The world responded with a twitter hashtag, rather than a rescue mission.
True, but outwardly according to media as I've never been to these places, it seems attacks and harassment against shiites are reported more. Maybe I don't keep up about yezidi discrimination, that's a fault on my end to not be as informed. In-fighting within religions is nothing new but it's depressing how tribalism dominates more than unification.

Beefy

Walpurgis

Banned

Beefy

Just because a news report does not include some key words does not mean that the act is not perceived as terrorism.

The word terror isn't used as much these days to describe IRA attacks as people label it as such anyways. You don't have to have the word terror in a article to make people think of it as such when it has been going on this long.

Here is a article with terror in tho:
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...port-infrastructure-court-hears-30986643.html

But the wording does count.

Language is powerful and the way the media uses it shapes people's views of the world.

Beefy

But the wording does count.

Language is powerful and the way the media uses it shapes people's views of the world.

You really think years and years of the IRA being called terrorists will just change because articles start dropping the word?

You really think years and years of the IRA being called terrorists will just change because articles stop dropping the word?

I don't know shit about the IRA. But it would be nice if those rednecks that shot up a Sikh temple a couple of years ago were referred to as terrorists.

Or that crazy white boy that shot up the black church.

Terrorism in the modern sense of the word comes from russia imo. BUt then 9/11 changed everything and only muslims can commit acts of terror now apparently.

I find it crazy to think, of all places, bahrain has an isis contingent.

Bahrain is... just... so small.

Beefy

I don't know shit about the IRA. But it would be nice if those rednecks that shot up a Sikh temple a couple of years ago were referred to as terrorists.

Or that crazy white boy that shot up the black church.

USA media problem not a world problem.

Suen

This is amazing. Post it Diipu!

I knew Shia and Sunni of course had problems.....and Shia more pacifist than Sunni? I just always thought it was shit flying both ways....didn't know it was predominantly Sunni attacking Shia.
Shia are for the most part a group that has been oppressed by Sunni world. It's something that has been going on for centuries. Even in Shia majority countries or areas (excluding countries like Iran and Azerbaijan) the most frequent target of terrorism (and thus also most of the victims) are Shia Muslims. That applies for both state and non-state supported acts.

Shit flying both ways wouldn't make sense in the context of decades, sometimes even centuries, of oppression and persecution in some of those countries. Try treating a minority in your country the same way they do, and as many years as they did. When the minority responds back do you then say "shit flying both ways"?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
This is amazing. Post it Diipu!

I knew Shia and Sunni of course had problems.....and Shia more pacifist than Sunni? I just always thought it was shit flying both ways....didn't know it was predominantly Sunni attacking Shia.

Shias definitely take most of the brunt in the conflict. Some Sunni apologist will probably come here and try to claim otherwise, and there are definitely bad apples when it comes to Shias, especially in Iraq, but historically and in modern times it's not even close, the vast majority of casualties in the Shia-Sunni conflict are Shias.

Take Pakistan for example, the Shias there haven't instigated a single attack on any population, yet they are frequent targets for Sunni extremists.

Suen

Shias definitely take most of the brunt in the conflict. Some Sunni apologist will probably come here and try to claim otherwise, and there are definitely bad apples when it comes to Shias, especially in Iraq, but historically and in modern times it's not even close, the vast majority of casualties in the Shia-Sunni conflict are Shias.

Take Pakistan for example, the Shias there haven't instigated a single attack on any population, yet they are frequent targets for Sunni extremists.
They are going to always take most of the attacks due to the simple fact Sunnis are a majority and have branches of ideologies with lots of followers who are encouraged to wipe out any non-Sunni Muslim.

Regarding Shia in Iraq: considering how they have taken most of the damage and had to go through all the crap in modern times compared to any other Shia group it's hardly surprising some bad apples popped up there.

If Iraqi Shia were US and they retaliated in the same manner the US did for less than 3000 civilians then the corresponding response would be blowing up the planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom