• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another World allegedly was to feature a gay romance between the male leads (NSFW)

Powerpuff

Wouldn't this be beastiality though?!

Nothing wrong...
2984872-1508238177-demot.png

Deft Beck

So I take it the grim Heart of the Alien sequel on Sega CD isn't canon?

It was made without Eric's involvement, so it is not canon.

Considering the 'plot' in the game is extremely minimal, this would have been a pretty odd twist.

Well, from what I can tell, there's a lot of potential "hints" in the interactions between the two.

Not really. The hero is about to die from his wounds and the Alien guy takes him away from the enemies. There's really no subtext there in a fame was was prety much devoid of any meaningfull dialogue

He puts his head on his shoulder.

Fularu

Banned
He puts his head on his shoulder.
Dude passed out when the alien picked him up from the ground. He was about to die. Also he's resting against his back on the dragon so taking that as some kind of romance hint is a super stretch.

But I'm not surprised shipping culture is now going back to 26 years old games with no subtext

Wasn't the main guy crippled at the very end and then rescued by the big alien?

Not sure the next thought would have been romance - it wasn't that sort of game.

What next? Guybrush and Stan cosying up in a coffin together!

s_mirage

You'll have to excuse me if I don't trust what this person says unless it's confirmed by Chahi. If they won't even release relevant snippets of correspondence, there's absolutely nothing to confirm what they're saying, and I have a natural distrust of people who appear to be a little obsessed. They have a tendency to make things out of nothing.

I seriously don't mean to be disrespectful but this strikes me as utterly hilarious.

The "matsula" guy has been brought up continuously by my siblings for so many years now.

Mael

Only thing I can say about Another IVorld is that I fucking hate it although I can absolutely recognize how important it is and how beautifully made it was.
I was always more of a Flashback guy anyway.
I still can't fathom how we just let Delphine software die just like they're nothing though.
Gay romance could work in the game, could have been a bit on the nose...
It would have been censored to hell and back on console though.

Only thing I can say about Another IVorld is that I fucking hate it although I can absolutely recognize how important it is and how beautifully made it was.
I was always more of a Flashback guy anyway.
I still can't fathom how we just let Delphine software die just like they're nothing though.

It always seemed odd to me that after Future Wars (good), Operation Stealth (great) and Cruise for a Corpse (landmark) they gave up on graphic adventures.

In the early/mid nineties, these were still a goldmine and they were obviously great at them.

s_mirage

Personally, I don't see how it would have worked. It wouldn't have just been on the nose, it would have felt very shoehorned in. At its heart, Another World was a short but pretty puzzle platformer. There was no time for character exploration outside of "let's get out of here" and "alien with red eyes is evil", and adding romance into it couldn't have boiled down to much more than "hi alien I've just met, let's fuck".

A longer game with more actual narrative could have supported such a subplot, but I don't see how the first Another World was that game.

It always seemed odd to me that after Future Wars (good), Operation Stealth (great) and Cruise for a Corpse (landmark) they gave up on graphic adventures.

In the early/mid nineties, these were still a goldmine and they were obviously great at them.

From an outside perspective, Delphine's progression as a developer was really disappointing. After Fade to Black they basically became the Moto Racer company, and their more artistic leanings were consigned to history.

Tiberius

You'll have to excuse me if I don't trust what this person says unless it's confirmed by Chahi. If they won't even release relevant snippets of correspondence, there's absolutely nothing to confirm what they're saying, and I have a natural distrust of people who appear to be a little obsessed. They have a tendency to make things out of nothing.
Yeah it's bullshit too unless we got words of chahi
Next time we're going to have someone telling us miyamoto endorsed their fanfic romance between koopa and mario ?
Please ....
And the oct 14 and nov 14 really make me unconfortable with how young the hero look like

Mael

If you look at their portfolio, you'll notice something interesting.
They steadily went on a more action bent.
They probably saw the tide of action games on console and decided to chase that after all despite being almost entirely reviled now stuffs like Shaq fu was pretty good for them.
It still doesn't excuse the utter lack of recognition and even support they got from the authorities who couldn't stop lavishing big movie productions releasing shit on screen and letting this kind of studio to die an ignominious death.
If you can't tell i'm still salty over Titus.
Personally, I don't see how it would have worked. It wouldn't have just been on the nose, it would have felt very shoehorned in. At its heart, Another World was a short but pretty puzzle platformer. There was no time for character exploration outside of "let's get out of here" and "alien with red eyes is evil", and adding romance into it couldn't have boiled down to much more than "hi alien I've just met, let's fuck".

A longer game with more actual narrative could have supported such a subplot, but I don't see how the first Another World was that game.

Nah, they could have put subtle hints here and there without being too obvious.
We're talking the early 90s here, don't expect a kiss or anything overt.
It might also have been cut because as you rightfully put it there was no space for it anyway.
Most of the projects at the time had some pretty out there ideas that never make the cut.
Most of the time it's for the best really.

From an outside perspective, Delphine's progression as a developer was really disappointing. After Fade to Black they basically became the Moto Racer company, and their more artistic leanings were consigned to history.

They went with what worked.
I doubt that Fade to Black was any kind of success, they probably didn't have the means to make anything but Moto racer stuffs to pay the bills :/
They still did Darkstone: Evil Reigns...

e: oh fuck npace closed down?!?

Not really. The hero is about to die from his wounds and the Alien guy takes him away from the enemies. There's really no subtext there in a fame was was prety much devoid of any meaningfull dialogue

Why would you crush my hopes like that?!

(yeah I was just being silly)

jett

D-Member
Pretty weird he refuses to show any proof of his correspondence with Eric Chahi. Not as weird as the pairing itself of course. :p But hey man, if anybody wants to believe this is true, more power to them.

CryptiK

I bet the dude got played into making a comic on the cheap. Currently has a decent following? Check, Creepily in love with the franchise? Check, ok at drawing? Check. Easy to underpay? You god damn bet thats a check.

Deft Beck

I bet the dude got played into making a comic on the cheap. Currently has a decent following? Check, Creepily in love with the franchise? Check, ok at drawing? Check. Easy to underpay? You god damn bet thats a check.

Well, that seems a bit cynical. Kale said that Eric seemed happy that someone is interested in Another World's lore over its current reputation as a technical milestone for early 90s Amiga and console gaming. It can't hurt to build upon that if someone shows an interest in it.

Kale said that Eric's a sweet, if very busy guy.

not like this

People discover games through many different means.

Opa-Pa

There's so much going on in here that I'm kinda overwhelmed haha. Definitely a weird story, but hey, if the author gets to add another layer to his game that he meant to from the start after all this time, and a fan can make their wish come true, then awesome, everyone wins.

I can't comment much on the relationship making sense in-game because admittedly I sucked bad at it back when I rented it for my SNES, but eh who cares. Devs have been shoehorning hetero romance forever so yeah!

All this actually made me want to play the game, so I guess I'll give that remastered version I bought long ago a try.

How is it gay if hes an alien?

Perhaps in this vast universe with infinite possibilities, we're all gay in someone's eyes.

Yeah I've only seen this from game grumps. The game seemed kind of boring really.

Two hundred and seventy pieces of
erotic
Mike Aruba fan art

I really can't process this right now

L Thammy

Maybe I'm misremembering Another World Out of This World - I'm not 100% sure I ever beat the game - but the context makes me think of something darker regardless of intention.

You're teleported to an alien planet. You have no way of contacting your friends or family. You have no one. You meet a race of aliens who resemble humans in their basic body plan, but you can't even speak to them. Some are trying to kill you and some are just trying to survive. You don't know why. You don't understand anything about them.

But you made a friend. He isn't a human. You can't look at him without thinking about the fact that you're alone here. You can't understand a word he says. But you know he isn't here to hurt you. He's even protected you, and you've protected him. You feel safe around him.

You're a human. You need love. You have no idea what this alien thinks of you, if it even experiences emotions the same way that you do. But he's the only way you can find something even resembling affection.

Kinyou

Why is the book called "fanbook" while the artist says it's official?

Add me to those who remain a little cautious

akira28

I'll admit. ok. i'll admit it dammit. I thought the alien was a woman, and I thought she was sweet on the hero. homosexuality never occurred to my young mind, but even I could tell there was something there. Strange how it all just came back to me.

It's amazing that that was the intention, and I say hey, full speed ahead. Love can bloom in alternate universes.

Deft Beck

Why is the book called "fanbook" while the artist says it's official?

Add me to those who remain a little cautious

The fanbook and the official comic are two separate entities.

I'll admit. ok. i'll admit it dammit. I thought the alien was a woman, and I thought she was sweet on the hero. homosexuality never occurred to my young mind, but even I could tell there was something there. Strange how it all just came back to me.

It's amazing that that was the intention, and I say hey, full speed ahead. Love can bloom in alternate universes.

From what I've surmised, it's less an outright, explicit intention, and moreso an idea that the author had that he chose not to act upon at the time.

Would add a really interesting new dimension to the game, and the whole story could function as an allegory for the homosexual experience (or any "other"ed group), in having to escape to another world to find oneself and feel loved. Particularly at the time and place when this released. Honestly had never crossed my mind, but I'm a straight male, so that also wouldn't be necessarily surprising.

That being said, Another World is such a deeply personal work for Chahi that I don't feel comfortable accepting new layers to his vision unless they come from him himself. Would love to hear from him on it, the more Chahi, the better.

God, when are we going to see another game from him? :(

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Why i'm not surprised at all?
Maybe it still was clear even without being explicit because all the game and characters were made with romance in mind.

Zubz

Banned
I want this to be true, but I want to hear it from Eric before I really get excited!

I never got that interpretation, but looking back, it seems to fit, even if just a little.

Vinnk

Let me see if I have this right:

It's an official authorized comic.. ("in collaboration with Eric Chahi as the artist of the official Another World comic") but Chahi won't publicly talk about it (or at least hasn't yet).. but he is OK that the comic writer is talking about it...

I mean if Eric is really behind it I would think he would mention it. Unless it is supposed to be a secret until it is done.. but then why is the comic writer allowed to talk about it now?

It just doesn't add up.

That said, if real that is progressive of Eric to be considering this 20 years ago. And it is cool that his initial vision will come to fruition on some way.

And if it's not true, there is nothing wrong with more well made fan fiction out there. The comic writer should be allowed to share his vision.

But until I hear an official statement I will remain skeptical of Chahi's endorsement.

zenspider

I don't understand the NSFW unless you work at Chik-Fil-A. I just see a cartoon rock monster getting hugs.

I'm trying to see some alien D!

eso76

Am I remembering a different ending though ?
I thought the alien died or was left on the planet after putting the red haired guy on the dragon.

Havoc2049

Am I remembering a different ending though ?
I thought the alien died or was left on the planet after putting the red haired guy on the dragon.

They both save each other in the final fight. Lester (human) passes out from his injuries and Buddy (alien) takes him off into the sunset on his dragon. In the extended ending on the 3DO version of Another World/Out of This World and in the intro to Heart of the Alien, you find out that Buddy takes Lester to his home village, so that he can be cared for and recover from his injuries.

Would add a really interesting new dimension to the game, and the whole story could function as an allegory for the homosexual experience (or any "other"ed group), in having to escape to another world to find oneself and feel loved. Particularly at the time and place when this released. Honestly had never crossed my mind, but I'm a straight male, so that also wouldn't be necessarily surprising.

That being said, Another World is such a deeply personal work for Chahi that I don't feel comfortable accepting new layers to his vision unless they come from him himself. Would love to hear from him on it, the more Chahi, the better.

God, when are we going to see another game from him? :(
I want From Dust 2. 😭

Top Bottom