• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anova introduces $99 (or $69) sous-vide device

jwk94

http://mailchi.mp/anovaculinary/meet-nano-announcing-the-anova-precision-cooker-nano?e=0e6d27f84a

First 5,000 orders get it for $69. I personally have a Joule, but this is a fucking steal for less than $100.

For the uninitiated:

Sous-vide is a method of circulation cooking that helps you get the perfect doneness for your food. So, the perfect steaks, chicken, turkey, fish, and/or other meats. You can cook other things too. I've seen people use it for canned stuff, heating up baby bottles (lol) and more.

Piggus

Amazing deal. I use my Anova all the time. It obviously isn't good for everything, but you simply cannot get the same edge-to-edge results with traditional methods, especially with steak, chicken, and pork.

Love my Anova too! I used their reverse-engineered Starbucks egg bites recipe to make my own. They're amazing, one of my fave keto foods to make :D

Philly40

http://mailchi.mp/anovaculinary/meet-nano-announcing-the-anova-precision-cooker-nano?e=0e6d27f84a

First 5,000 orders get it for $69. I personally have a Joule, but this is a fucking steal for less than $100.

For the uninitiated:

Sous-vide is a method of circulation cooking that helps you get the perfect doneness for your food. So, the perfect steaks, chicken, turkey, fish, and/or other meats. You can cook other things too. I've seen people use it for canned stuff, heating up baby bottles (lol) and more.

not really

Piggus

How the fuck does this thing work?

NVM im not boiling meat unless its corned beef.

Yeah, that's not how it works. You're not boiling the meat. You're choosing a temperature that corresponds to a specific doneness and slow-cooking the meat separate from the water. So if you want a medium rare steak, you cook it at 129F and then finish it on the grill to give it a sear.

QYx0Al5.jpg

not really

Well, you can't get an edge-to-edge medium rare with other cooking methods. So unless you WANT a gradient in the meat, sous vide it the best way to get a consistent doneness throughout the whole steak.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
70 dollars feels like a scam for some reason. Not sure how it can be so cheap, but maybe that's just my misconception of the devices being several hundred dollars each typically.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Is this thing legit? The site looks very Kickstarter-ey, which looks suspicious to me these days.

I think sous vide is putting meat in a bag and then boiling the bag, so it's not directly boiling the meat. I hear that it makes good steaks very consistently, though I'm not sure how it works.

On one hand I'd like to hop in but on the other I probably wouldn't use it very much

70 dollars feels like a scam for some reason. Not sure how it can be so cheap, but maybe that's just my misconception of the devices being several hundred dollars each typically.

I think these guys have been around for a while?

mattp

Is this thing legit? The site looks very Kickstarter-ey, which looks suspicious to me these days.

I think sous vide is putting meat in a bag and then boiling the bag, so it's not directly boiling the meat. I hear that it makes good steaks very consistently, though I'm not sure how it works.

you're not boiling anything

you set an exact temperature and then the device maintains that exact temp in the water. so the food you have in the bags will rise up to that temperature, but never go over
thus you can exactly cook the food how you want

aka set it to perfect medium rare, and let it just sit til you're ready, cuz it will never overcook
then just take it out and sear before eating

Sous vide is not boiling. You don't ever approach boiling temperatures. It's a method of slow cooking that evenly cooks the entire piece of meat over an extended period (relative to normal methods).

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Ah, thanks.

Do you need special bags for this? I'm not sure if normal ziplock backs are meant for any cooking temperatures, even if it's below boiling.

Piggus

Ah, thanks.

Do you need special bags for this? I'm not sure if normal ziplock backs are meant for any cooking temperatures temperatures, even if it's below boiling.

Ziplocks work fine for lower temps, but if you're cooking higher than 140F or for an extended period of time, it's best to get a cheap vacuum sealer.

Anova has been around for a long time, and their consumer sous vide isn't that expensive. Mine was ~$130 back in December.

jwk94

As others have said, it's not boiling.

not really
What do you mean?

Ah, thanks.

Do you need special bags for this? I'm not sure if normal ziplock backs are meant for any cooking temperatures, even if it's below boiling.
You can use those devices that suck the air out of a bag so it's nice and tight, but ChefSteps also says you can use a gallon freezer bag. That's what I've been using since I got my Joule last September or October. Never had a problem.

Nabs

I picked up my Anova for about 95 bucks from Best Buy a few months back. I love this thing.

JBuccCP

Pre-ordered one. It's not coming until October so I'm gonna forget about this completely and get a nice surprise.

Kas

I have my regular, $150 one, and I love it. I use it at least once a week, and it make's the best meat.

zulux21

you're not boiling anything

you set an exact temperature and then the device maintains that exact temp in the water. so the food you have in the bags will rise up to that temperature, but never go over
thus you can exactly cook the food how you want

aka set it to perfect medium rare, and let it just sit til you're ready, cuz it will never overcook
then just take it out and sear before eating

hmmm.
I have heard of this method before but never looked into it.
reading this....

I would imagine I could get a similar result by taking my programmable induction burner and setting it to 140-160 or so.

never really thought about doing such a thing, but it makes sense on how to get a nice medium rare and have a nice sear.

What are the specs? Have they revealed anything yet?

I don't see the page. It keeps on kicking me to "Coming soon" possibly cause I'm not in US.

So, what are the specs and is it better than it's existing counterpart?

How's the plastic waste on these things? How much are the vacuum bags and the device that seals them? I assume you throw out a bag after it has been used once.

Bought it for about ~120 a year and a half back, best kitchen purchase ever. Makes ribs so tender, chicken juicy and steak perfectly cooked through. Takes less active cooking time too.

Just looked up: 700WATT!!

NO THANKS. You can buy the 2nd Generation 800WATT Anova from their website right now for $100 from their website, and you won't have to wait till October.

RuGalz

How's the plastic waste on these things? How much are the vacuum bags and the device that seals them? I assume you throw out a bag after it has been used once.

I didn't like the idea of cooking in plastic bags. You can use silicone bags if you can fill up the space between food and the surface of the bag. I'm probably going to try that route.

Top Bottom