• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, lets talk sous vide cooking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MercuryLS

Banned
Ok, so I just found out about this a week ago and it looks legit.

From wikipedia:

Sous-vide ( /suːˈviːd/; French for "under vacuum")[1] is a method of cooking food sealed in airtight plastic bags in a water bath for a long time—72 hours in some cases—at an accurately determined temperature much lower than normally used for cooking, typically around 60 °C (140 °F). The intention is to cook the item evenly, and to not overcook the outside while still keeping the inside at the same "doneness", keeping the food juicier.

I also found out about this machine and just barely missed the cutoff date to pledge:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nomiku/nomiku-bring-sous-vide-into-your-kitchen

http://www.nomiku.com/

So for people that have used this method for cooking, what say you? Ae there any other machines you guys would recommend? I'll probably end up getting the Nomiku when it's available on their website.

Edit: Also because I love you guys, here's a pic of a steak cooked to medium rare using sous vide.

meat-interior.jpg

RevDM

Banned
I had a roommate that invested a ton of money into this. I couldn't get behind the idea of letting my steak cook for a week before I ate it.

Also, I don't want to die.

I built a temperature control box, mostly for sous-vide cooking. There was a pretty good Make magazine article on building one, FYI. I think you can read it for free online.

Anyway, I'm still a neophyte at it, but I've made some crazy good steaks. I cooked chuck steaks, the toughest of tough steak, for 48 hours at 133 degrees. Then I seared it for a minute a side. It was overkill probably, but the steak had the texture of filet mignon and the taste of a strip steak with little to no gray section of overcooked steak on the edges. An incredible steak that cost very little.

Ferrio

Banned
Mreh, don't want invest that much money into a machine.

If I was going to buy some crazy ass cooking machine, it'd be a anti-griddle. Why? I don't know... they're just cool.

AntiGriddle_LG.jpg

jchap

Mreh, don't want invest that much money into a machine.

If I was going to buy some crazy ass cooking machine, it'd be a anti-griddle. Why? I don't know... they're just cool.

AntiGriddle_LG.jpg

You could just go down to the local airgas store and get a small dewar of liquid N2 and slate tile

Then you can take the other 5k you saved and roll around in it for fun

As for Sous Vide I use it all the time because I can drop a piece of protein in the water bath in the morning and when I get home it takes about 5 seconds to finish it. Flank steak cooked this way is better than any other cut (also it helps if it cooks for more than 8 hours to dissolve the connective tissue)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, let's! Always been interesting in learning the ins and outs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom