• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anova introduces $99 (or $69) sous-vide device

ColdPizza

Banned
You do get charged immediately for this.

We're really starting to get pedantic about "best," "crust," "reverse," etc. Ultimately, sous-vide is just a damn easy way to get a fantastically-cooked cut of meat (among other dishes).

More information isn't pedantry, and neither is refuting unproven claims.

I enjoy sous-vide. In fact, I still use my Anova kickstarter circulator.

Nabs

can someone help me out with some questions?

-worth waiting on this one or getting a current model?
-am i charged when i preorder or when it ships?
-is there any accessories I should be buying for this?

Current model is great. It's also on sale right now everywhere for $109.

there is a tendency of a lot of people that use sous vide to think it's an end-all, be-all rather than a tool to use.

sous vide really shines with chicken, pork, fish, eggs, vegetables, or tougher cuts of red meat.

while it's certainly true that you will get more of a temperature gradient without it (although with thicker steaks the difference can be minimal), i've personally found i simply enjoy a steak that's grilled more.

the benefits of sous vide are much more pronounced when you're cooking a chicken breast to a temperature that would be unsafe through any other means.

ColdPizza

Banned
Thanks. Ordered.

So for most meats do you cook to a temp slightly below your wanted done-ness, then sear for a minute?

I don't. I like filets at 134F so I take it right there. Searing for a minute or two on each side won't do much to overcook the steak in my experience.

jwk94

Thanks. Ordered.

So for most meats do you cook to a temp slightly below your wanted done-ness, then sear for a minute?

With my Joule, I just cook it to whatever temperature it specifies, then sear. So, with another device, I don't think you'd cook it below your desired temp. Just only sear for a short period of time.

noomi

I didn't even know this was a method of cooking.....

I usually do my steaks up on a cast iron grill, sear for 2 min on each side and then bake @ 350 for like 3-5min depending on thickness. They are amazing this way.

Is sous vide cooking really that great? Is it cooking meat in water at a specific temp (how would you know how long? I imagine different meat types and thickness plays a roll), and then searing it off to lock in juices and give it a proper cook?

I'm interested... but not sure if I want... especially if it takes a lot of time and effort. Neither of which I have much of these days.

I didn't even know this was a method of cooking.....

I usually do my steaks up on a cast iron grill, sear for 2 min on each side and then bake @ 350 for like 3-5min depending on thickness. They are amazing this way.

Is sous vide cooking really that great? Is it cooking meat in water at a specific temp (how would you know how long? I imagine different meat types and thickness plays a roll), and then searing it off to lock in juices and give it a proper cook?

I'm interested... but not sure if I want... especially if it takes a lot of time and effort. Neither of which I have much of these days.
Yeah, you cook it to whatever your desired temperature is then, if needed, give it a hot and fast sear to brown the outside. The cool thing about it is the timing doesn't really matter that much. You set the water bath to the temperature you want your food, then come back an hour or two (or three) later. Thicker stuff will take longer to come up to a consistent temperature but you can't really accidentally overcook it.

It does take longer than other methods for a lot of foods, but the control it allows and the generally hands-off process actually makes it really easy. And it's not just for meat. Eggs are maybe my favorite thing to cook sous vide.

ciD_Vain

Bought. I'm getting married in October so this will be a nice little wedding gift to ourselves when it arrives that month lol.

I just realized that the serving has drastically reduced from previous Anova (7-8 people) to 4. Yeah, not for my family. Glad I ordered the original.

Seems like this is targeted towards solo eating or couple eating.

Xtyle

can't seem to pre-order now.
nothing happens if I choose quantity 1, and with 2 it takes me to payment but it gives error on shipping with this message "There are no shipping methods available for your cart or destination."

edit: nevermind. was able to resolve the issue and order one for 89 plus tax.

shira

Gottamn, they are pushing the Gaf mobile ads hard for their Fathers Day sale. Seen it like 20x

Pretty good deal for Canada $60 off, shipped within Canada. No customs fee

Llyranor

Bah, you can only preorder for 10% off in Canada. And since the 800w model is 60$off right now, there's only a 10 bucks difference btw them, so I think I will just bite on the bigger model.

All the sous-vide talk finally got me to looking into the thing. It turns out my hubby (who is a disastrous cook) had tried it out a few years back based on a recipe he found from the internet. He used no special tools--just the ziplock bag and our Japanese IH rice cooker and hot water to hold it in. We didn't even have a thermometer so I think he just poured boiling water over it and closed the lid of the rice cooker. A little less than an hour later and we had the moistest and juiciest chicken breasts ever. I remember being a bit jealous because I considered chicken breasts my specialty and even I had trouble getting all the pieces cooked just right.

Anyway, I wanted to try it out again and can't be bothered to get a Joule or Anova (I don't know if they're sold here in my country) but I do have an induction range cooker and a candy thermometer so that's what I used. The induction range makes temperature control relatively easy. I experimented with some white fish cut into small fillets this weekend and the texture weirded me out--it was cooked through but felt raw on the tongue. Kinda like sashimi. I think I prefer my fish a bit more flaky and cooked through.

Tonight is my second attempt, this time with chicken breasts. Hopefully this goes better than the fish.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I think I am going to pull the trigger on a Joule this weekend. Serious Eats tweeted a coupon code (SOUSVIDETIME) for $20 off at Amazon bringing the white model to $159. They say it's good for the rest of this month. I feel that is very much worth it considering the extra features and extra power you get with a Joule.

But I'll keep my Anova. I got a 12qt cambro and lid that I cut to fit it, no sense in getting rid of it.

BigBeauford

Got an email saying the preorders aren't coming this year. They offered to exchange for the Precision Cooker Bluetooth. Is that a decent deal?

Got an email saying the preorders aren't coming this year. They offered to exchange for the Precision Cooker Bluetooth. Is that a decent deal?

those ones usually go for 100-120, so it's a decent deal if you got the preorder at 69

i'm probably just gonna wait until may for a nano :V

BTA

Eh, that sucks. I'll probably just wait for the Nano, though? Is the bluetooth one much better or something?

FinKL

Torn, wanted the Nano because it's small and occupies less room. The bluetooth one is definitely worth it though...

lenovox1

70 dollars feels like a scam for some reason. Not sure how it can be so cheap, but maybe that's just my misconception of the devices being several hundred dollars each typically.

Given the electronics involved, I'm not sure why a sous vide machine would necessarily have to be much more expensive than a high end Crock Pot.

Nafai1123

Banned
So getting the bluetooth is a no-brainer right? Don't have to wait and it's actually the better device (other than being larger)?

Ronabo

So getting the bluetooth is a no-brainer right? Don't have to wait and it's actually the better device (other than being larger)?

Seems to be. That what I'm gonna go for. Kinda funny this happened today. I was just about to look into changing my shipping address since I am moving soon.

Ashhong

Aw man...now I don't know what I want to do. Does anybody have a size comparison between the nano and the other one they are offering?

Nafai1123

Banned
From their site:

What's the difference in terms of power between the Nano and the other Anova Precision Cookers? The Nano is a smaller unit with slightly reduced heating capacity. The Nano is 700W, current Bluetooth APC is 800W, current WI-FI APC is 900W. Additionally, the Nano is meant to feed up to 4 people, the current Bluetooth model up to 8 people, and the WI-FI up to 12 people.

So yeah, I'm going for the BT APC.

Narroo

So, apparently, they canceled the pre-sale: Their website now has a message saying that the cooker has been delayed till May; you can now either get a bluetooth model, wait, or get a full refund.

Wow that sucks, I really wanted to buy one.

bounchfx

what do people use for the bags? I bought a sous vide cooker almost 4 years ago now and it's still in the box... because I never bothered figuring out the bag part once I realized you had to do that. Doh. Are there any cheap, reliable options?

Hmm, this sucks. I already have the Bluetooth one and the Nano was going to compliment it by being a second one that we could utilize at the same time like for Thanksgiving. So I'm not sure if I want another Bluetooth one, but man not coming this year as a result certainly puts a dent in to plans.

what do people use for the bags? I bought a sous vide cooker almost 4 years ago now and it's still in the box... because I never bothered figuring out the bag part once I realized you had to do that. Doh. Are there any cheap, reliable options?

We used to use vacuum sealed plastic bags, but lately we've been using reusable silicone bags.

Top Bottom