• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anova introduces $99 (or $69) sous-vide device

Ashhong

Already submitted for bluetooth but then saw this, any idea what the discount is?

Wait for the Nano. If you choose to wait for the Nano, we’ll do our best to provide you with email updates and give you insight into Nano development. We’ll also give you a discount to purchase one of our existing systems, so that you receive a system before the holidays.

RuGalz

Not sure if I should wait or get BT model. How useful would multi-step be? Or how is it different than just kind of track it yourself.

Vlaphor

I went ahead and just got the BT model. It was kind of an impulse decision to begin with, so getting a better version for cheaper sounds like the best way to go.

sangreal

I took the old bluetooth model. I only ordered the nano as a stopgap until the next-gen full model is released (I assume this has also been delayed) so no point waiting and getting a discount on the current model

I had to email support for my order number. They need a better store front.

It's in big bold letters in the email they sent

ViciousDS

Banned
Bought one for my step mother for Christmas.....the regular one not nano.

Do you have to follow recipes or is it pretty easy to put whatever sized steak and stuff you want in it and just select the doneness of it?

Machine

It's in big bold letters in the email they sent

I didn't save it. I didn't think it was necessary to save it. I assumed they had a normal storefront where I could log in to check the status of my order. Do you save the email w/r/t every order you make with Amazon?

Hanzou

I didn't save it. I didn't think it was necessary to save it. I assumed they had a normal storefront where I could log in to check the status of my order. Do you save the email w/r/t every order you make with Amazon?
I have every email I have ever received on my Gmail account since I opened it 12 years ago or so. Who deletes emails unless it is spam?

dohdough

Given the electronics involved, I'm not sure why a sous vide machine would necessarily have to be much more expensive than a high end Crock Pot.

My thoughts exactly.

Personally, I think this is just another fad like fondue and if sous vide is what you like, then more power to ya. I can see the appeal for tougher cuts of meat, but not for a better cut. I also don't know how people can say that leaving it in the water is ok because it doesn't get any more "done." Well, it's going to turn to mush because it's still breaking down as long as it's at a high enough temp; it's exactly how a slow cooker makes lesser cuts more tender. Too bad tender!=good steak.

Ashhong

He means its in the email that they just sent us that notified us about the delay. It's at the bottom.

And yea I save every email in Gmail

My thoughts exactly.

Personally, I think this is just another fad like fondue and if sous vide is what you like, then more power to ya. I can see the appeal for tougher cuts of meat, but not for a better cut. I also don't know how people can say that leaving it in the water is ok because it doesn't get any more "done." Well, it's going to turn to mush because it's still breaking down as long as it's at a high enough temp; it's exactly how a slow cooker makes lesser cuts more tender. Too bad tender!=good steak.

You can't see the appeal in an easy and dummy-proof way to cook? Even if you buy a 100$ cut of meat you have to prepare it correctly. I wouldn't trust myself to not overcook it, but this would do the work for me.

My thoughts exactly.

You should read up more on how sous vide works, its not really "high temps" it goes into water for the temp you want, so if you want a medium rare steak the water goes to 135ish, the steak can literally not get anymore hot than 135.

Ashhong

You should read up more on how sous vide works, its not really "high temps" it goes into water for the temp you want, so if you want a medium rare steak the water goes to 135ish, the steak can literally not get anymore hot than 135.

But if you keep a steak at 135 for an extended period of time wouldn't it cook more?

My thoughts exactly.

For a lot of people, cooking is hard and difficult and stress-inducing. I mean, look at all the threads we have on this board about people fawning over really expensive fast food that isn't very good, or people who have trouble even cooking a chicken breast. If a sous vide can help them get more comfortable with home cooking, then I think that's a plus.

I like to cook and I'm good at it, so a 100 dollar peripheral for very specific and rare reasons isn't that great of an investment for me like I assume you, but for a lot of people, this might mean they eat home cooked food, healthier food, and better tasting food that they normally wouldn't consume.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I went ahead and just got the BT model. It was kind of an impulse decision to begin with, so getting a better version for cheaper sounds like the best way to go.
I'm thinking this as well. Sounds like I'm getting an upgraded over the eventual Nano and I impulse bought it as well.

Ashhong

What made me jump onto the BT was the fact that the nano will be priced at $100. Most places will surely have at least a 10$ or 20$ discount. That means we really only saved like 10-20$ whereas the BT is $120 on Amazon. Just buy the Nano later on

It would need higher temps to cook more? something cant just get hotter in the same temp water, as what it is. The steak cannot get any more done than 135*

In my head it's hard to imagine for some reason. I'm not saying it has to get hotter, but I would imagine that it cooks more. Guess that's stupid to think.

Nafai1123

Banned
But if you keep a steak at 135 for an extended period of time wouldn't it cook more?

The proteins will break-down the longer you cook it, but it will never get past the cooking temperature you set. Just a quick sear on both sides and you get a steak like this:

Anova-Steak-Guide-Sous-Vide-Photos15-beauty-thumb-1500xauto-423558.jpg

When it says one is for 4 people, another is 7-8 people, and the best is 10-12 people, how does that work exactly? Is it simply how big of a pot you can use? Is it just the number of items you can throw into the pot? I was mistaken early and thought I had a BT one, but I have the BT w/ WiFi and my wife is trying to figure out what it really means to go down to the Nano and it only works for 4 people. I can't seem to find a straight answer other than it's just 4 people vesus 10-12 people but that doesn't really mean much to me without knowing how it figures out the number of people.

Narroo

The proteins will break-down the longer you cook it, but it will never get past the cooking temperature you set. Just a quick sear on both sides and you get a steak like this:

Anova-Steak-Guide-Sous-Vide-Photos15-beauty-thumb-1500xauto-423558.jpg

Sorta. Someone mentioned crock pots, and crock pots will continue to cook meat until it breaks down. The thing is, the crockpot is hotter.

With a Sous Vide, it's a bit different. The food eventually reaches an equilibrium with the water and will cease to continue cooking in the normal, crock-pot sense. It will still continue to change, the consistency can change, but not in the same sense as overcooking. That said, there's a several hour window for this and the food still good in the end.

Also, for those asking: Apparently pro Chefs use Sous Vide; they're the ones who invented it (hence the French name), so it is a more general technique than you might think.

dohdough

HYou can't see the appeal in an easy and dummy-proof way to cook? Even if you buy a 100$ cut of meat you have to prepare it correctly. I wouldn't trust myself to not overcook it, but this would do the work for me.

I definitely see the appeal of "set and forget." That's why I love roasting a 4lb ribyeye every once in a while. It's just as fool proof and all you need is salt and pepper. I just think that there are cheaper ways to do it.

The heat is still breaking down the meat if you leave it in, just like how a crock pot works.

For a lot of people, cooking is hard and difficult and stress-inducing. I mean, look at all the threads we have on this board about people fawning over really expensive fast food that isn't very good, or people who have trouble even cooking a chicken breast. If a sous vide can help them get more comfortable with home cooking, then I think that's a plus.

I like to cook and I'm good at it, so a 100 dollar peripheral for very specific and rare reasons isn't that great of an investment for me like I assume you, but for a lot of people, this might mean they eat home cooked food, healthier food, and better tasting food that they normally wouldn't consume.

The infamous italian meal always makes me chuckle. I'm very lucky in that my father is a great cook that always made a variety of healthy things for us to eat, which imbued in me with a sense of what cooking actually involves: lots and lots of prepping...haha.

Like I said, I totally get the point. I think it's a total rip off, but I get the point.

Sorta. Someone mentioned crock pots, and crock pots will continue to cook meat until it breaks down. The thing is, the crockpot is hotter.

With a Sous Vide, it's a bit different. The food eventually reaches an equilibrium with the water and will cease to continue cooking in the normal, crock-pot sense. It will still continue to change, the consistency can change, but not in the same sense as overcooking. That said, there's a several hour window for this and the food still good in the end.

Also, for those asking: Apparently pro Chefs use Sous Vide; they're the ones who invented it (hence the French name), so it is a more general technique than you might think.

"Overcooking" is probably the wrong word because it brings up images of meat with the consistency of leather, but it's also possible to sous vide it into "mush." My personal preference is that a well cooked steak has gradients because it gives a variety of textures and flavors, which is why I love ribeyes so much. 30 minutes(including resting time) with a pan or skillet gives me a far better experience than sous vide and a sear.

The Argus

Been rocking my Bluetooth model for two years now. Makes amazing food, not just meat. Really stepped my game up when I invested in a Foodsaver. The water displacement ziplock bag thing is fine for shorter cooks, but you risk contamination of the water, food, and leaks over 5+ hours.

Argyle

Not sure if I should wait or get BT model. How useful would multi-step be? Or how is it different than just kind of track it yourself.

I have never, ever done anything multi step in the sous vide assuming you mean a mode where you dump things in there, and the cooker cooks at a certain temperature for a certain time, then automatically switches to a different temperature for a given time. I can't even imagine such a mode being useful at all.

The closest thing I can think of is if I have to make a well done portion of say, salmon separate from the rest...but then I have to switch the meat out as well as change the temperature so that requires me to be present anyway.

tenchir

https://anovaculinary.com/nano/

The Nano has newer BT 4.2 and "MultiCook + MultiStep
Support", while the 800W version don't.

There isn't a big difference between the 700W and 800W. It's just how fast both are able to hit their targeted temp. Once you hit the target temp, the wattage used are far lower just to maintain the temperature. I have no idea why the Nano is listed as 4 servings with the BT is listed as 8, there shouldn't be much difference based on the spec.

You would use multi-step for making soft boiled eggs faster. For example once you hit the targeted temp to cook the egg enough to soft-boiled it for 5 minutes, you then have to lower than temp after getting it to the consistency you want or it will continue to cook the egg York further.

RuGalz

I have never, ever done anything multi step in the sous vide assuming you mean a mode where you dump things in there, and the cooker cooks at a certain temperature for a certain time, then automatically switches to a different temperature for a given time. I can't even imagine such a mode being useful at all.

Ya it does seem more like preset reminders and maybe if you want to cook a couple different things at same temperature but different length of time. But it's not that much different than just set a timer on Echo/Home for each step. I guess BT model it is!

RuGalz

There isn't a big difference between the 700W and 800W. It's just how fast both are able to hit their targeted temp. Once you hit the target temp, the wattage used are far lower just to maintain the temperature. I have no idea why the Nano is listed as 4 servings with the BT is listed as 8, there shouldn't be much difference based on the spec.

I wonder if the difference is with the pump strength that makes it 4 servings instead of 8.

totowhoa

Banned
Switched to the Bluetooth. The reason I got the Nano was price of entry as a sous vide noob. They're handling this delay with class. If I dig this thing I'll definitely stick with Anova

I wonder if the difference is with the pump strength that makes it 4 servings instead of 8.

Maintaining the temperature of more stuff is going to take more power, surely? More servings = more volume of meat and presumably more water. To keep the water bath within 0.1 degrees of the target temperature is going to get harder as you move to bigger water baths with more things in them.

I switched to the Bluetooth model also. Hopefully they ship soon!

Argyle

I decided to just get a refund. Heard about problematic bluetooth issues with the BT model and already have a Sansaire

For everyone else, I have never even used the Bluetooth functionality and I doubt anyone else will either. Generally you set a temperature on these things and walk away. You need to put the food in the container anyway so it's not like your phone is more convenient than the dial.

I asked for a refund. I have a BT version already; this was a Xmas present for my father, who is skeptical of it anyway, but I thought he was more likely to use the smaller unit.

Llyranor

I'd just recommend the old BT model if you ever intend to cook for more than 4 people.

Also, sous-vide is the real deal. As someone who habitually overcooks steak, this was my first sous-vide attempt. Perfectly juicy and tender.
ym8Qjmg.jpg

I decided to just get a refund. Heard about problematic bluetooth issues with the BT model and already have a Sansaire
The bluetooth itself is not particularly useful (disconnects when I'm three rooms away from the kitchen). I just set the temperature directly on the machine and put an alarm on my phone.

chogidogs

You can definitely "over cook" sous vide food if you leave it in for too long. I left chicken breasts an hour longer than the recipe I usually follow and it turned to a paste texture. Gross.

Top Bottom