• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Antichamber: A reason to say 'non-euclidean'

Can someone in the US help me buy this? EU store has it at a tad more expensive than I'd like. I can paypal the $15 immediately.
EDIT: Done, thanks HoosTrax!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
BOUGHT!

throwing-money-away_zzej64.gif

Installing now.

I am completely new to this game; haven't heard anything about it. But bought it on a whim because it looks amazing. Hope I'm not disappointed!

Daedardus

Wow. Just wow.

Played 30 minutes into the full game, and it just blew my mind. You have to see for yourself though or else you would be spoiled, but I can seriously recommend this to anyone having a spare 15 dollars.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The title reminded me of White Chamber and how it was a famous freeware horror adventure game that I didn't download back in the day because I was on dodgy dial up and its ~400 MB seemed like they'd take years to complete. I wonder how it holds...

Wok

As I have said in the Steam thread, I can confirm the beginning of the game is very close to the one of the 2010 demo.

After 1h25m in the game (5 minutes left before the countdown), I went to
the second gun (spoiler link)
but could not unlock it. I felt really bad watching it without being able to take it. It was not easy to get there, I don't remember the steps to do it again.

There is a kind of in-game achievements. As you can see,
it tells the story of your life

Man this game is tough.
I got the green gun
and am completely stuck on the puzzles following it. This is one of those games that you need to take a break from when you're completely stuck, otherwise you just end up fumbling around hoping to stumble into something you didn't earn. And that won't happen with this game.

derder

What is the average gameplay time? I don't know if I want to start this if I can't finish it in 20 hours or so.

Man this game is tough.
I got the green gun
and am completely stuck on the puzzles following it. This is one of those games that you need to take a break from when you're completely stuck, otherwise you just end up fumbling around hoping to stumble into something you didn't earn. And that won't happen with this game.

Please tell me how you get
the green gun
. I'm really stuck. I've been playing for 2 hours and for 30 minutes I've had no idea what to do. I feel like giving up.

Edit: Nevermind. OH I FEEL SO CLEVER

Got home from work, installed it and only spent 30 minutes on it.

The events so far have been eye opening, I really do wonder how long it's going to take to see everything and beat the game, I reckon the game will beat me first.

Also that counting down clock has me anxious, I am calling it the doomsday clock.

Gilby

I want to buy this soooo badly but it says it requires Shader Model 3, which usually means I can't run it... Anyone know if I'll be able to run it without it? I REALLY want to play this game, even if it runs like crap. I thought I would be able to run it for sure from the videos, I was pumped for this game all week.

Wok

What is the average gameplay time? I don't know if I want to start this if I can't finish it in 20 hours or so.

Three hours if you are a genius, from 6 to 8 hours if you are Mr Smith, and 15 hours if you want to unlock every in-game achievement.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, this game is awesome. I went in completely blind. Its such a mindfuck. Holy Christ.

Odrion

Banned
The game starts out being phenomenal. Exploring a non-euclidean environment and solving puzzles purely through observance is brilliant. The simple environments and nature sounds go great together. A very mind bending (and opening) experience.

Then it introduces the block-gun and the non-euclidean puzzles become less and less important. Eventually it turns into another puzzle FPSer. Bleh.

I'm about an hour in, this game is great. It really messes with your mind though, I had to take a break. I'm also curious about the nebulous countdown on the main menu, got about 15 mins left on it.

kazinova

Can't figure out the room marked "connect the pieces". Feels like I should just have to connect the pieces, but nothing I do works. I'll take a break but I might need help if I can't get it later.

Got bored in one of the rooms and decided to see how far this game could be pushed. Method's involve kind of spoilers so:
Using the green gun to create more cube's I covered an entire room wall to wall with green. I then proceeded to close all the exits and windows. I started to do the ceiling and when it started to duplicate the blocks to close the area the game dropped to around 5 fps and then hard crashed to desktop. Not really sure if that would have happened if I just did the ceiling piece by piece or if I just had too many cube's on screen.

What's really funny is that is the second time I broke the game. Earlier, I was cube hopping to reach an area I shouldn't have been able to get to and then the game sent me back to the starting room and took away my gun haha. I had to restart and everything was fine though. Also one of the bouncing elevators goes down way further than it needs to. While pushing it down I stopped it with a cube and I went so far down on it that the game flung me threw the geometry when I finally let it go. Awesome game though, really enjoying it.

Wok

Got bored in one of the rooms and decided to see how far this game could be pushed. Method's involve kind of spoilers so:
Using the green gun to create more cube's I covered an entire room wall to wall with green. I then proceeded to close all the exits and windows. I started to do the ceiling and when it started to duplicate the blocks to close the area the game dropped to around 5 fps and then hard crashed to desktop. Not really sure if that would have happened if I just did the ceiling piece by piece or if I just had too many cube's on screen.

What's really funny is that is the second time I broke the game. Earlier, I was cube hopping to reach an area I shouldn't have been able to get to and then the game sent me back to the starting room and took away my gun haha. I had to restart and everything was fine though. Also one of the bouncing elevators goes down way further than it needs to. While pushing it down I stopped it with a cube and I went so far down on it that the game flung me threw the geometry when I finally let it go. Awesome game though, really enjoying it.

I did the same : covering the walls in the puzzle room (just before
the yellow gun
) until I found the solution of the puzzle.

And I somehow managed to get to the
red gun
with the
blue gun

I did the same : covering the walls in the puzzle room (just before
the yellow gun
) until I found the solution of the puzzle.

And I somehow managed to get to the
red gun
with the
blue gun

That's awesome, that's the exact room I did it in!

Wok

I have played the game for 3.2 hours and I have almost finished the game I think (the wall of in-game achievements seems to confirm it). I am missing
the red gun
which I had seen during my first 1h30 play session, and which I thought I could get, but it was definitely for the end game. I had played the demo first, so a fresh player would be slower during the first part of the game. I have no idea where to look for it though, since I forgot the path I had followed. Here is

That's awesome, that's the exact room I did it in!

And there was a strange ghost:

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I have no idea what this game is about, even after watching the trailer on Steam. But from what I've read, it's better not to spoil myself.

I'd like to get this game, but I'm saving the money for Runner 2 (but will probably end up not getting either this month), so this will have to wait a while.

Odrion

Banned
I can't for the life of me solve
too many lasers
. Wtf?
Hint: If you don't have the gun that corresponds to the colors yet, you're not ready for that puzzle.

Don't like these puzzles too much. They remind me too much of your typical box puzzle game. Blegh.
And there was a strange ghost:
That thing appears numerous times behind glass throughout the game. When you start he's even by the exit door. :V

Hint: If you don't have the gun that corresponds to the colors yet, you're not ready for that puzzle.

All these puzzles feel like more FPSery versions of your typical crate puzzle game. Blegh, super disappointing.

I've got the green gun right now but I just can't figure it out.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Played about 2.5 hours and I've only got
the green gun

I can see
yellow
but I can't quite get there yet.

Currently have about 4/5 rooms I'm trying to figure out

So good

Create an outline of a square with your gun and see what happens.

Yeah but where?! I hate getting spoilers like this, but im not sure if I will progress otherwise! haha.

edit: Nevermind I think I got it!

Edit2: BLARG! Now im stuck in with all the lifting doors that
that you can see the yellow gun in
haha stupid game is so awesome.

Zocano

Been playing for 4 hours so far and I feel like I've still got a good chunk of the game left but I *think* I have
all the guns: Blue, Green, Yellow, Red -- I collected them in that order
. I am going around doing things that were locked out before. This game is definitely getting the metroidvania feel the more I play it.

On another note, this is a potential secret or required thing for the end? I am not quite sure but I'll spoiler it anyway.
I hope y'all have been finding purple cubes that move when you look at them. I've found 3 (EDIT: Actually 4 now) so far and I'm sure there are at least a few more. I remember when I asked Alex about them at PAX he vaguely hinted that they involve the end of the game somehow.

yggdrasil

Please tell me how you get
the green gun
. I'm really stuck. I've been playing for 2 hours and for 30 minutes I've had no idea what to do. I feel like giving up.

Edit: Nevermind. OH I FEEL SO CLEVER

Can't get to the final room with more than two cubes. What am I missing?

Why exactly do people call this a "non-Euclidian" game? From what I can tell, it uses perspective tricks and subtle portals in really cool, inventive ways. Is there some essential mechanic involving spheres that I missed?

Jintor

My brain can't handle this right now, i'm going back to fusing personas into other personas to make personas

Top Bottom