• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

any fellow kids watching this new Netflix show "13 reasons why"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinsei

Banned
Your points don't make much sense. Who cares if there are other ways to kill yourself. Just because they exist does not make it any less valid to show suicide via slit wrists. What is really your concern here? I don't understand you.

It just felt outdated and cheesy.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

Oh please get out of here. I'm all for discussing the reasons why people choose one method of suicide over another, but if you're going to just say that she KILLED HERSELF IN A CHEESY WAY, then hop off.

And why do you keep saying this is an outdated way to commit suicide? Why does that even matter? Why?

Hanging oneself is one of the oldest ways of committing suicide. Had she done that instead, what would your response have been? "Not new enough of a suicide method."

I'm ten episodes in and the show hasn't risen out of mediocrity yet. Also I can't see this having a good ending unless
Justin, Marcus, Tyler, Courtney, and Bryce all die horrible deaths.

I finished it. The show wasn't very good and the ending was really bad.

To say something good about the show, the walk scene was well done. I've been there a few times so I would know.

The suicide scene was really bad. Who the hell would try to cut their arms/wrists in this day and age?

A lot of people that needed their comeuppance didn't get it.

I figure most people that are serious about killing themselves would look up methods to see what has the highest success rate. Cutting your arms/wrists is pretty inefficient.

What the flying spaghetti sauce are you talking about? Outdated and cheesy? Wishing death on teenagers?

How old are you?

Kinsei

Banned
explain yourself lol

You grow up in the late 90's early 00's? There were a bunch of suicide PSAs/after school specials to try and deter kids from doing it. Most of these specials used wrist cutting to show suicide so when a show nowadays uses it I get flashbacks to those days. Hence why I called it cheesy.

finished it last week
regarding the last episode

that tub scene is probably the most disturbing and graphic scene i have seen on TV - seriously i couldn't watch the scene. Felt as if the razors were cutting my own arms. Makes you just sad, how desperate people become when they are willing to go so far. i needed 1-2 days to get over it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
You grow up in the late 90's early 00's? There were a bunch of suicide PSAs/after school specials to try and deter kids from doing it. Most of these specials used wrist cutting to show suicide so when a show nowadays uses it I get flashbacks to those days. Hence why I called it cheesy.

I did actually. I'm 35. None of those PSAs made me feel anything remotely close to how this scene made me feel...

Too each his own I guess.

JaseMath

Haven't watched the show, but I was interested, so I watched the trailer, and it killed any interest in my watching it.

Tell me the trailer isn't indicative of the overall quality or the acting.

Haven't watched the show, but I was interested, so I watched the trailer, and it killed any interest in my watching it.

Tell me the trailer isn't indicative of the overall quality or the acting.

I never watched the trailer, but I thought the show was fairly well acted with certain people standing out (Katherine Langford and the woman who played Hannah's mom), and the show never feels low budget.

Kinsei

Banned
So you called it cheesy because of PSAs you watched as a teen making you say and think these really really dumb things about suicide?

I didn't say anything dumb about suicide. The dumbest thing I did was not realizing that it's probably for the best that one of the most common depictions of suicide in media is inefficient.

I could hardly watch the scene. I kept looking away and peering up for a second before I drop my head multiple times.

13 Reasons Why really affected me. I'm just halfway through my college years so I'm not far off of high school age. It really made me think of my mistakes and times I could of helped others and didn't because it was just easier to stay silent. I think the show shows that reaching out in anyway you can make an incredible difference.

LionPride

Banned
I finished it. The show wasn't very good and the ending was really bad.

To say something good about the show, the walk scene was well done. I've been there a few times so I would know.

The suicide scene was really bad. Who the hell would try to cut their arms/wrists in this day and age?

A lot of people that needed their comeuppance didn't get it.

I figure most people that are serious about killing themselves would look up methods to see what has the highest success rate. Cutting your arms/wrists is pretty inefficient.

It's just odd to me that a modern show would portray suicide in that way. I'm sure it still happens but I figure it would be pretty rare with the resources most people have at their fingertips these days.
This shit was pretty pretty dumb

Boogie9IGN

Finished it today and man, that last episode was rough af. The
bathtub scene
was incredibly hard to watch
(especially how difficult and painful it was to cut, you can tell she pauses for a second from the pain and then just starts again with a renewed speed and determination that must have just been based on fear and anger)
and the immediate subsequent reactions just tore me apart.
Clay's tape
was also one of the times where I felt that sadness that just sinks to the pit of your stomach (don't know how else to explain it). Not really hoping they do a season 2 but if it happens, I especially don't want Tyler
to become some school shooter
as it seems they're building him up to be.

I hate Marcus and Courtney the most (just based off how they act, not based on their actions), but especially Courtney. Man fuck her

And what made watching this series all the more difficult is that my little sister looked almost spot-on with Hannah (mainly the long hair/head) so it was pretty trippy at times.

Seik

Banned
I just finished the season yesterday.

Holy shit, the tub scene was hard as fuck to watch.

I was with my GF and told her how much she meant to me after that, not like I never said anything like that, but I felt the need to say it after watching this.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I know the book came first but I got a lot of "Life is Strange" vibes from the show.

Last few episodes were really tough to watch. But as some users have pointed out, poor Clay got a lot of shit, more so than he deserved probably.

Acorn

5 eps deep, I'm not sure how I feel about this beyond teenagers fucking suck. Is beyond the grave possible one sided truths the way to deal with it?

Randomly watched the third or fourth episode (was at friend's house). Seems to me the girl was sick, and to come up with a plan like this to blackmail so many people from the grave requires more psychological issues than just mere depression (or whatever the supposed contributing factors were). I hate to victim blame though.

???

Acorn

Randomly watched the third or fourth episode (was at friend's house). Seems to me the girl was sick, and to come up with a plan like this to blackmail so many people from the grave requires more psychological issues than just mere depression (or whatever the supposed contributing factors were). I hate to victim blame though.

???
I've watched 5 eps. I feel kinda the same way but I'm obviously missing vital info that could possibly change my mind.

Strikes me as watch(well, yeah not actually watch cuz dead) the world burn-ish at the moment.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

???
Thankfully there are 12 other episodes.

I know the book came first but I got a lot of "Life is Strange" vibes from the show.

Last few episodes were really tough to watch. But as some users have pointed out, poor Clay got a lot of shit, more so than he deserved probably.
It's the intro that reminds me of Life is Strange. It really is kind of fucked up how much psychological damage she is doing to Clay, unless he turns out to be a piece of shit (which I doubt and would be royally pissed if it turns out he is)

???

They do mention that she was a dramatic girl, so her going to these lengths isn't too surprising I guess.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I mean, I have no intention of watching the show. Can you spoiler tag me the punchline?

Ending spoilers.

All those people in the tapes chip away at her, to the point where she no longer has anyone to turn to for support when she most needed it.

She witnesses a rape, isn't able to prevent a person from dying, which is the fault of someone on the tapes, and if that wasn't bad enough, she is then brutally raped herself. She gives life one more chance and then is victim blame by her counselor.

B3N1

Just finished this. First 3 episodes just pulled me in with the soundtrack and the LiS vibe.

After all the hyped scenes, honestly, what hit me hardest was
Jeff's death. Out of fucking nowhere, but the foreshadowing was really well done. Like someone pointed out, the Director already was talking about two deaths, then the mentioning of the booze run, the start of episode with the accident, and then they drop the name of the coolest fucking guy in the show and it just adds up.

Oh and with the above I loved that the show doesn't overexplain stuff:

Around Ep3-4:
I was furious that they left the lights on the car, I mean shows miss stuff like this. But nope, it was a whole plot point.

Also ep 12:
It's never really stated what Clay's plan was, I only got it when he started the "But Bryce, I want to hear you say it" talk.

I think there were a bunch more like that.

I didn't like how support characters were conveniently leaving names and acts out, up until the viewer was caught up. Even in private chats, once Clay heard it, it was open season on stuff they were being secretive about 3 episodes before.

With all the product placement though I don't get how they couldn't get some normal looking game footage for Bryce's house instead of that mobile shooter.

Ashhong

I mean, I have no intention of watching the show. Can you spoiler tag me the punchline?

Are you serious? Why even post in here if you have no intention of watching the show? The show deals with some serious issues that you seemed to have brushed aside after watching one random episode. There is no "punchline". It's a show about a girl who was so depressed that she chose to commit suicide after recording her reasons why.

fr0st

Banned
No show or movie or any form of entertainment has ever made me cry but this show has made me come damn close.

I'm about to start episode 12 and the fact that this is the only episode so far to start with a WARNING has me trembling. It's going to get even more disturbing and uncomfortable? Not tonight, Poor GRIMES.
You should see grave of the fireflies and Schindler's list

Are you serious? Why even post in here if you have no intention of watching the show? The show deals with some serious issues that you seemed to have brushed aside after watching one random episode. There is no "punchline". It's a show about a girl who was so depressed that she chose to commit suicide after recording her reasons why.

Because I was surprised by how seemingly vicious this girl's vendetta was and was wondering how the show attempts to / successfully justifies it, without having to spend 13 hours finding out? Sorry?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Because I was surprised by how seemingly vicious this girl's vendetta was and was wondering how the show attempts to / successfully justifies it, without having to spend 13 hours finding out? Sorry?

Because it'd be like "the prestige" of a magic trick.

There's a good chance you won't care anymore once somebody tells you what it is.

Acorn

Man Clay is
getting fucked over repeatedly. He's my boy man, poor guy.

Only person thus far that seems to possess any emotional intelligence despite some dumb mistakes. Only ep 6 though so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom