• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any gun owners lurking...

Piggus

I got Azoom 12 gauge snap caps for my Citori from Amazon and they seem to work fine. Looks like they have 9mm as well.

My local Bimart has snap caps, but I'm not sure what sort of variety they have.

despire

Any good tips for cleaning an AR? I have the Otis MSR kit so I got the tools. Mainly I'd like info on the stuff I should use for cleaning like solvents/oils etc. Can I just use CLP or do I need other stuff as well? Any good videos to check out?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
So I took the pistol to the firing range today and the firing pin broke. I took it to a smith, he said he shouldn't need to replace the pin (which would be quite a task, since no one makes them any more) and that he should be able to repair the one there. Anyone have experience with a firing pin head replacement? I'm hoping it works.

He didn't want to look at anything else though, the slide catch doesn't function properly and he didn't want to look at that, the safety doubles as a slide catch while disassembling, but doesn't work well in that function and lets the slide go, he had no interest in finding out why that is (I have some idea, but he didn't care.) When I told him I wanted to refinish it he balked and said "with all the work you want to put in will cost about the value of the gun." I felt like saying "You don't want my money? Point me to the gunsmith that does and I'll go give it to them." But I should be able to fire it soon, so that will be good.

So this came into my possession somewhat unexpectedly:

Star Bonifacio Echeverria BKS/Starlight

1911 styling (obviously)
9mm
8 round magazine
Aluminum alloy frame

It's in need of some work, I'm trying to get in contact with someone who worked at the factory where they made these to see if he's got any parts it may need. I have an idea of everything that's not in good shape, but I'll be taking it to a gunsmith to get that all confirmed. It's been passed down in my family for a few decades, it's in the rough shape it's in because it was often carried directly against people's bodies, but at the moment I believe everything is original.

I've been told it's in working condition, so I'll be taking it to the range in the next few days to see how it does. Out of curiosity, does anyone else have trouble finding snap caps? This gun can't be dry fired at all, the firing pin it very delicate, and I had to go to four stores over several days to get some 9mm snap caps. Two didn't carry them and one was out of stock.

Wow. I Have one of these. Parts are getting harder to find but not impossible. It looks all original to me. Stars are tanks.

Edit: find a new gunsmith that person is an ass.

Watevaman

Hey guys, I'm looking for some suggestions. My gf and I recently went to a gun shop where she knows the owners to pick up some 22 ammo for my Glenfield Model 60 (my only gun) and she got to eyeing the 10/22 Takedown. She likes it and they can get us a good deal on it if we decide to buy it. Problem is, we would then have two 22s when we don't really need them. For the longest time, I've wanted a Mosin, but their prices keep jumping to the point where it seems it might be cheaper to get a modern bolt action hunting rifle. My question to you all is, what would be a recommendation for target shooting in a larger caliber than 22 that has prevalent ammo and won't break the bank (under 300 new/used if possible)? Is this even something that's achievable or should I still be looking at Mosins?

Piggus

A modern centerfire bolt-action for under 300 doesn't leave you with too many options. Maybe the Mossberg Patriot in .223? I probably wouldn't pay that much for a Mosin though (I got mine for like $120), but now is a good time to buy a WWII surplus gun as they are only getting more expensive. Maybe look for an Enfield, K98, or Swiss K31 instead. The K31 would cost thousands if it were built today.

You might be able to find a good deal on a used hunting rifle at a gun show or shop with used guns. My old roommate got an amazing deal on a Remington 700 a few years ago.

About the cheapest bolt action rifle I would go for would be the Ruger American with 22 inch barrel. It looks to be fairly universally praised. One can be had for a little under $400 without optics, but I think they include scope rings and sling swivels. Just add glass, ammo, and cleaning supplies.

Finnish Mosin Nagants for $250-$350 depending on condition (if you can find one). Russian Nagants selling for around $200 I think is about the norm now.

Rest

Wow. I Have one of these.
Any recommendations on a holster? I've seen one company claiming to make holsters that fit this gun specifically, and I'd hope it's true, but you can't believe ads on the internet. If you have any experience I'd appreciate it if you shared

Any recommendations where I should pick up a Mosin online? They've always been an interest and I'm kind of on a spree soooooo maybe now is the time

Rest

I took the BKS to the range again, a LOT of failures to extract, every third round or so. The last person to have this carried it because they'd been screwing some rich guy's wife, the husband found out about it and there was a fear the guy put a hit out (typing that out it sounds a lot stupider than when I heard it...) Opening the gun up and seeing everything inside so dirty makes me wonder why you wouldn't take care of a gun you thought you might have to use.

Anyway, I cleaned everything, oiled it, and will take it back to the range some time soon.

Any recommendations where I should pick up a Mosin online? They've always been an interest and I'm kind of on a spree soooooo maybe now is the time

Gunbroker is always good. Are you looking specifically for an M91/30 or are you looking for something in the Mosin-Nagant family? If it's the latter, Classic Firearms has pretty good deals on cracked stock M39 rifles. They're basically Mosins that have been completely remade by the Finns.

They break away from the "is rifle, is shoot!" mindset of standard Mosins, but they're the Rolls-Royce of the Mosin-Nagant world.

Rest

I took the mags for the Star apart and Je-fucking-zuz were they dirty inside. I would say the internals were probably oiled and then not wiped down by they amount of gunk in them. I couldn't even open them at first, the footplates were caked with crud, I had to pull them open with pliers.

Anyway, I took it to the range again. After a good cleaning it went through a mag and a half before it jammed. I cleaned it again, and I used an aerosolized cleaner to try and blow out the extractor slot. Since it did better after cleaning I'm hoping it just wasn't clean. If it does it again I'll call it unreliable and start looking for a replacement. The range I go to rents out guns, so I'll see what looks interesting that I can try out. I'm thinking an M&P Shield or a SIG P938 or 238.

The rebate on the Shield makes it more attractive than usual, but it's already an inexpensive gun. I'm a bit wary, anyone have any experience with them?

Rest

Took it to the range again today, I put somewhere around 60-70 rounds through, only one failure to extract, and it was early on. So, it seems cleaning it was what it needed, but I'm not quite sure what to make of that one jam. It had been suggested to me that the web of my hand was in the way, because I was getting hammer bite. I'm thinking that might be so, because I had one jam today and one hammer bite, and fired it more than I had either time before. But my memory tells me I had the hammer bite after the jam today. I'll have to pay more attention next time, and see if they coincide.

Is this sarcasm?
As someone with no knowledge of any particular training program, why would that be sarcasm?

And since I'm still not 100% confident in the Star, I still have this question:
The rebate on the Shield makes it more attractive than usual, but it's already an inexpensive gun. I'm a bit wary, anyone have any experience with them?
I'll add to that the store I use the range at is seems to be offering the rebate in cash.

Took it to the range again today, I put somewhere around 60-70 rounds through, only one failure to extract, and it was early on. So, it seems cleaning it was what it needed, but I'm not quite sure what to make of that one jam. It had been suggested to me that the web of my hand was in the way, because I was getting hammer bite. I'm thinking that might be so, because I had one jam today and one hammer bite, and fired it more than I had either time before. But my memory tells me I had the hammer bite after the jam today. I'll have to pay more attention next time, and see if they coincide.

As someone with no knowledge of any particular training program, why would that be sarcasm?

And since I'm still not 100% confident in the Star, I still have this question:

I'll add to that the store I use the range at is seems to be offering the rebate in cash.
The Shield is an amazing gun. I plan on getting one before the rebate ends. S&W have sold over a million of them and every gun review I have watched/read has been glowing. Hickock45 seemed to like it quite a bit.

Goofalo

I think the Shield is a great pistol. I shot the 2.0 and found the grip texture a little too aggressive, but that was my only issue with that.

hwalker84

Why would this possibly be misconstrued as sarcasm? It's fucking fantastic instruction from top-tier shooters who teach real world scenarios.
Got it. Could've sworn I saw some really bs things from their training but I'm probably remembering a completely different company.

Chorazin

Got it. Could've sworn I saw some really bs things from their training but I'm probably remembering a completely different company.

You absolutely are. The first few hours we didn't even fire a shot, it's all safety, reload, and dry fire drills. Instructors have an eagle eye for violations of safety and don't let stuff slide.

Rest

Man Smith and Wesson is practically giving away Shields right now with that $75 rebate.
That's what I'm saying. It's not in my budget right now, but damn if it doesn't make me want to splurge.

Bandit1

Man Smith and Wesson is practically giving away Shields right now with that $75 rebate.

Yeah my cousin is considering getting one. Heck of a deal. I suppose I'd probably be interested too but I already have and love my PPS, so I think I'll save for something else.

Doing a ton of overtime and sidework this month to justify the purchase. Wish I didn't have to pay that CA premium, it'll end up being close to $500 before rebate. Other states, people have been buying em for less than $300+rebate! Crazy deal.

Goofalo

Patiently abiding my time for AR prices to start to drop. Should be able to get something real nice for myself around Christmas.

Rest

Fired a shield today, did not love it. The stubby handle was uncomfortable, and the spacer on the 8 round magazine moved around, so it didn't help enough with the grip. The safety wasn't an issue, I've seen complaints about them but I had no trouble using it. The slide release was a little harder to use though. One thing I haven't seen advertised is that where the slide and chamber come together there's a small round hole that lets you see if it's loaded, I really like that, I'll be looking for a feature like that on any new guns I look at.

I wasn't any more or less accurate than with my own pistol, even though it has nice large sights I don't see them helping me with my shooting. It had more recoil being lighter, but I didn't feel that affecting my ability to get back on target.

There was a guy at the range that had a Ruger American pistol that he let me fire, that was much more comfortable, so I'll be looking at those in the near future.

I am ready to buy my first handgun, I was decided to get a Glock 17, but then I held the xdm 9mm and I think I changed my mind lol. I like the grip safety that the xdm has. I was reading that both are fantastic guns, and you can't go wrong witb either one. What do you guys say?

hwalker84

I am ready to buy my first handgun, I was decided to get a Glock 17, but then I held the xdm 9mm and I think I changed my mind lol. I like the grip safety that the xdm has. I was reading that both are fantastic guns, and you can't go wrong witb either one. What do you guys say?
Xdm was my first pistol. Hard to beat Springfield's goodies that it comes with. Also if you buy before June 30th you get:

4 EXTRA MAGAZINES
DOUBLE MAG POUCH
RIGHT HAND HOLSTER

https://www.springfieldpromo.com

If it feels great in the hand get it. Its a quality pistol.

Shot a CZ P10c at the range yesterday. I didn't wow me like I expected it to. Kinda bummed.

Got to talking to the range officer and he let me try his SP01 which was amazing. That might be my next gun.

Goofalo

I guess its more personal preference. Me, I don't like grip safeties at all, and I found the XDM to be one of the ugliest pistols I've ever seen. The one thing I have to say about Glocks, it's aftermarket support out there, which, I know is also out there for the XD series, but it is nowhere as broad and extensive as it is for Glocks.

But its ultimately personal preference. If the XDM is what you shoot most accurately, then go with that. If it fits you purpose of use best, get it. Some people hate Glocks, because they are Glocks. I own a Glock 19, it fits my hand well, I shoot it well and it fits what I need the handgun for.

Edit: The thing I hate the most about the XDM, is the what that acronym stands for. Its as if the marketing people at Springfield got ripped on dollar store energy drink and decided X-Treme Duty More was a good name for a gun.

Rest

I guess its more personal preference. Me, I don't like grip safeties at all, and I found the XDM to be one of the ugliest pistols I've ever seen. The one thing I have to say about Glocks, it's aftermarket support out there, which, I know is also out there for the XD series, but it is nowhere as broad and extensive as it is for Glocks.

But its ultimately personal preference. If the XDM is what you shoot most accurately, then go with that. If it fits you purpose of use best, get it. Some people hate Glocks, because they are Glocks. I own a Glock 19, it fits my hand well, I shoot it well and it fits what I need the handgun for.

Edit: The thing I hate the most about the XDM, is the what that acronym stands for. Its as if the marketing people at Springfield got ripped on dollar store energy drink and decided X-Treme Duty More was a good name for a gun.
To me it stands for the emote, XD, so it's XD Model.

Xdm was my first pistol. Hard to beat Springfield's goodies that it comes with. Also if you buy before June 30th you get:

4 EXTRA MAGAZINES
DOUBLE MAG POUCH
RIGHT HAND HOLSTER

https://www.springfieldpromo.com

If it feels great in the hand get it. Its a quality pistol.

great.

I found a black one , full size for $599 new.

Thinking about pulling the trigger.

What about cerakote, has anybody used here?
I was planning to cerakote the slide burnt bronze

5429444_03_custom_springfield_xdm_3_8_40s_640.jpg

Goofalo

$599 seems awfully pricey for a new XDM. A stock 4.5" 9mm should be going for between $450 and $500. Are you buying at your LGS?

Looking through Slickguns it is $450 and $500.

$599 seems awfully pricey for a new XDM. A stock 4.5" 9mm should be going for between $450 and $500. Are you buying at your LGS?

Looking through Slickguns it is $450 and $500.

really? are you looking at the new ones, FULL size 4.5 inch barrel?

online the price is around that ballpark if you buy directly from a store, if you go on gunbroker you can get cheaper.

Yes, I am looking at my local gun shop.

ps: the ones I found online were around 500-520 like you said, but then if you add the transferring paperwork, it will be almost the same no?

Goofalo

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr...upc_only=1&is_firearms_wikiarms=0&mobile=true

I guess it varies from gun store to gun store. My local does transfers for $25. I've seen LGS's really have outrageous transfer fees like $50+ or even $100 if it's a gun they already have in stock. And I understand that to a degree.

But with my preferred LGS/Range, I buy my accessories for the most part directly through them and I spend a lot of $ there for range time and bringing my friends in as new customers. They didn't mind when I transferred in a gun they had sitting in a case. It was a matter of paying $530 and not tax, versus $695 plus tax.

Like, I'm in the market to buy an AR. My LGS has the exact rifle I am looking st for $895. The owner literally said "buy it on line and transfer it." So maybe my LGS is just nice folks.

hwalker84

So they are legit ,? I will check them out and find a local FFL dealer and see how much it would cost . Thanks
I've order 6+ firearms from them and various other accessories. They even put a gun aside for me while working out issues with a gift card the wife had got me for Christmas. They're my most trusted go to gun site.

Goofalo

It seems weird ordering a firearm from a website. But, I think that's the route a lot of places are going now. The stores that sell them usually just contact their distributor to have a weapon sent to your FFL. Sales for them, and the warehouse space is on the distributor's tab.

I'm cruising the internets for my next purchase, which will be an AR-15 pattern rifle. I wanted to go with a BCM rifle, and have now realized my preferred build is being sold as the Springfield Saint. Or maybe I'll just order a Colt LE6920. Either way, I will wait, as it doesn't appear manufacturers counted for a Trump win, and the over production of AR's will inevitably lead to discounts later this year.

I've order 6+ firearms from them and various other accessories. They even put a gun aside for me while working out issues with a gift card the wife had got me for Christmas. They're my most trusted go to gun site.

so what happens if I buy from another state? i am in Michigan, grabagun is in Texas. I am about to finalize the purchase and they are not charging sales taxes. Do I pay taxes when I get my gun at FFL?

Goofalo

so what happens if I buy from another state? i am in Michigan, grabagun is in Texas. I am about to finalize the purchase and they are not charging sales taxes. Do I pay taxes when I get my gun at FFL?

You don't pay your taxes until you declare them at the end of the year, like all the upstanding citizens who declare the taxes on their internet purchases.

*wink*

Enjoy your XD, man!

Ok, I am still deciding between the xdm and XD mod 2. XD mod 2 has 2 sizes, 4 inch barrel and 5 inches barrel. Is there a major difference among the barrel length in terms of performance ? Obviously 4 inch would be more compact and maybe use as CCW, but if I want the gun just got home protection and range, should I get 5 or 4 ? 4 is probably more versatile. Thanks

Goofalo

I had that very same decision when I bought my first handgun.

5" is standard service pistol length, and 4" is compact-ish.

5" will give me a longer sight radius, but 4" is easier for me, personally, to conceal.

I ultimately decided on a Glock 19, because until I acquired more firearms, it was going to be my carry/defense/range gun. I can do everything with it, and I can use Glock 17 mags if I need a little extra capacity and my home defense 33rd magazine will fit in the 19 as well.

Top Bottom