• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any gun owners lurking...

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
So there's someone buying old public domain books about guns, ammunition, shooting, reloading and various topics to have them scanned and make them available to the public. There's a Go Fund Me page here. I think this is a worthwhile cause, so please make a donation or spread the word.

Here's the text from the campaign:
Hi Folks, my name is Phil, and I've been collecting classic books on firearms, ballistics, and reloading for a number of years. Many of these books contain "lost" information about guns, powders, loads, and shooting techniques.
Copyrights have lapsed, and books are constantly being added to the public domain as copyrights run out.

I intend to purchase these books, and have them professionally scanned for public domain free release.
The first round will inclue 10-20 books, at a cost of $50-$90 per book for the scanning. I will pay for the original books myself, but need help to defray the scanning cost.

Please support my project! Books will be released individually as scanning completes, and will be uploaded to archive.org to insure perpetual access.

Thanks guys! I originally wanted a stainless or nickel but the prices for those are too outrageous. She will be a (carefully handled) shooter. I have no safe queens haha

I a planning to buy my first revolver , and I narrowed down to 2 options, Ruger gp100 6 inches talo edition and SW 686. I prefer the looks of the Ruger better , plus the ruger is not expensive. What do you guys say ? I love the Ruger

Bandit1

I a planning to buy my first revolver , and I narrowed down to 2 options, Ruger gp100 6 inches tall edition and SW 686. I prefer the looks of the Ruger better , plus the SW is not expensive. What do you guys say ? I love the Ruger

The GP100 is known for being very reliable and built like a tank. Some people prefer the 686, but I don't think you can go wrong with the GP100. And with a .357 chambered gun you'll also be able to shoot .38 Special rounds, which would be cheaper and easier to handle.

I think between those it comes down to personal preference. I have a 686p that I love to death. I chose it because of grip and aftermarket parts availability and the 7th round. My biggest gripe with the Talo Rugers is that I hate the grips they choose. The pistols themselves are beautiful but I hate those grips that look like wood paneling from an 80s trailer home.

Goofalo

Stupid bolt catch pin is stuck. Well, I guess I should bought a bolt catch pin punch, but I'm a dummy. Ordered one, hope it'll back out

I think between those it comes down to personal preference. I have a 686p that I love to death. I chose it because of grip and aftermarket parts availability and the 7th round. My biggest gripe with the Talo Rugers is that I hate the grips they choose. The pistols themselves are beautiful but I hate those grips that look like wood paneling from an 80s trailer home.

you can always get hogue grips which are not that expensive, $70 , and htey look beautiful

2059476_01_ruger_gp_100_true_4_factory_gr_640.jpg

2488599_01_ruger_gp100_640.jpg

a520e465842bec47c854257d37edb918.jpg

Used-ID

True, but I could use a concealed carry. All my pistols are full frame. My first gun was a Taurus PT809. It's as accurate as I am, but out of 18 rounds, 1 will eject into my eyewear, 1 off of my forehead, another will land into my left breast pocket, while 2 will try to go down the neck of my t-shirt.

My Beretta PX4, and FNH 5.7 thankfully don't.

Piggus

I have a Taurus PT111 G2 and it's fine. It's a decent looking gun, holds 12+1 while still being pretty compact, and feels very well built for the price. Most people consider it pretty damn good for the money. The trigger breaks in a weird spot though, and I'm still not used to it.

Chorazin

Spent 16 hours on the range Saturday, got to do a lot of night shooting when I never get to do! Shooting with one hand holding a flashlight sucks, I need to get a mounted light.

My dad passed his guns on to me when he passed away. I sold one years ago and one was also stolen. Miraculously I was able to find the one I sold earlier this year. The one that was stolen was the cheapest one - a hi point c9. I know they're generally considered junk but I shot at least 2k rounds through my dads without a failure. Still I never got one to replace his. It's on sale right now for $99 bucks. I'm kind of thinking why not? Complete my dads collection again.

Give it to me straight gun gaf

Chorazin

My dad passed his guns on to me when he passed away. I sold one years ago and one was also stolen. Miraculously I was able to find the one I sold earlier this year. The one that was stolen was the cheapest one - a hi point c9. I know they're generally considered junk but I shot at least 2k rounds through my dads without a failure. Still I never got one to replace his. It's on sale right now for $99 bucks. I'm kind of thinking why not? Complete my dads collection again.

Give it to me straight gun gaf

I mean....it's 99 bucks. And the knife it comes with is actually really decent, assuming you're talking about the Cabela's deal.

It's a garbage weapon. But if you want one for sentimental value, might as well grab one.

I mean....it's 99 bucks. And the knife it comes with is actually really decent, assuming you're talking about the Cabela's deal.

It's a garbage weapon. But if you want one for sentimental value, might as well grab one.
That's what I'm thinking. $100 is nothing compared to what I spend on ammo or reloading supplies. It'd be nice just to have his stuff 100% again. I wouldn't have given a thought if I hadn't found the other one but I did so now that's nagging me

Goofalo

I mean, sometimes a $100 pistol is all people can afford for self-defense.

The Hi Point does its job. People who get that aren't going to put in a lot of time at the range. They'll get the Hi Point, ball ammo and feel safer, I suppose.

The Hi Point carbine is oddly solid. Its hideous as all get out. All Hi Points are fucking hideous. But much like the Pontiac Aztek, they do their job.

Also: Got that stuck roll pin out, it bent on the way in. Bought proper tools. Proper tools so important.

Rest

I have a friend that has one. I've never heard him complain about reliability. Ive shot it quite a bit and the trigger is terrible, but it's accurate enough and easy to handle.

I too, have shot one, and it seems fine.

And yes, the trigger is rubbish.
I see. I'll see if I can rent one to try out the trigger. I'm going to the range in a couple days and I'll see what's available.

The only thing about the deal I don't care for is the NRA membership, but that's a whole different thing.
NRA membership is a mail in thing.

You've got to remember, the NRA is a lobbying organization, every gun maker with any kind of market share already gives them money. Like them or not, unless you only buy used you give them money with purchases. Even if you reload, you can't buy used slugs or gunpowder.

I think the NRA likely hates me. Membership is required for my range so I am an NRA member. But when they call me I usually give them a really long earful on Trump and why they should stop sucking his dick and how they need to work on including gun owning liberals.

Rest

I think the NRA likely hates me. Membership is required for my range so I am an NRA member. But when they call me I usually give them a really long earful on Trump and why they should stop sucking his dick and how they need to work on including gun owning liberals.
Have you heard of The Liberal Gun Club? There's a lot of similar sentiment there.

I like their forum because it's a gun forum that doesn't allow political bashing or veiled (or open) racism.

when you talk about liberal, are you considering yourself a classic liberal or a "democrat"? because there is a lot of confusion nowadays about both terms, and most people that call themselves "liberals" are not really classic liberals (I don't care either way, but usually classic liberals like 2nd amendment and less government, which is something democrats hate )

ps: finally freedom munitions send me 1000 9mm rounds. waiting to get to the range againA

when you talk about liberal, are you considering yourself a classic liberal or a "democrat"? because there is a lot of confusion nowadays about both terms, and most people that call themselves "liberals" are not really classic liberals (I don't care either way, but usually classic liberals like 2nd amendment and less government, which is something democrats hate )

ps: finally freedom munitions send me 1000 9mm rounds. waiting to get to the range againA

I just want to point out that a lot of gun owners vote Democratic.

I just want to point out that a lot of gun owners vote Democratic.

I know that, I just wanted to get a sense of what did he mean by liberal. Yes, I know a lot of democrats own guns, but statistically speaking, most people that protects 2nd amendment are classic liberals and conservatives. Remember I am talking about 2nd amendment, not gun ownership

Piggus

Gun ownership is literally the only "issue" where I tend to side with republicans. They've always seemed backwards as fuck when it comes to just about everything else, especially recently with all the bigotry and cowardess with regard to minorities. I love guns and all, but I value basic human dignity and respect toward all people a lot more. And one side has that a lot more than the other right now.

Yup. I'm all for the NRA pushing back against ineffective legislation like the assault weapons ban, but they also lobby against even the most sensible legislation that would have no impact on law-abiding people. It's going to come back to bite all gun owners sooner or later.

I know that, I just wanted to get a sense of what did he mean by liberal. Yes, I know a lot of democrats own guns, but statistically speaking, most people that protects 2nd amendment are classic liberals and conservatives. Remember I am talking about 2nd amendment, not gun ownership

You are talking as if there is some objective distinction between gun ownership and the 2nd A, which I don't agree with.

Goofalo

If I was a single issue voter, I would be a fan of the NRA. But they donate money to politicians who I am politically diametrically opposed to. I would rather give to groups like the Liberal Gun Club, at least they get better traction amongst progressively minded politicians and less of my money goes to someone who believes in gun rights, but is also a homophobic, xenophobic, radical theocrat. I'm done with the NRA's fear mongering.

Used-ID

I'm all for better background checks. I'm not even totally against having a store make a copy of my driver's or handgun permit everytime I buy ammo.

Which many might think strange as am a Texan through and through.

I'm also a registered nurse that's only worked in psych hospitals for the last 5+ years - so I know some people shouldn't even be allowed in the parking lot of a gun store.

That said:

I had to go out and buy a Daisy 880 BB-gun to shoot some stray dogs around my house. One literally disemboweled one of my cats one night in my garage. Living in a neighborhood meant I can't use my Beretta CX4 Storm 9mm or my PS90. Animal control had been useless too.

Anyone know a "good / decent" setup to reload brass? I'm totally knew to it and would be wanting to work on reloading 5.7x28mm first, then maybe .308, 5.56, 9mm and finally possibly 12 gauge shotgun shells.

Piggus

I'm all for better background checks. I'm not even totally against having a store make a copy of my driver's or handgun permit everytime I buy ammo.

Which many might think strange as am a Texan through and through.

I'm also a registered nurse that's only worked in psych hospitals for the last 5+ years - so I know some people shouldn't even be allowed in the parking lot of a gun store.

That said:

I had to go out and buy a Daisy 880 BB-gun to shoot some stray dogs around my house. One literally disemboweled one of my cats one night in my garage. Living in a neighborhood meant I can't use my Beretta CX4 Storm 9mm or my PS90. Animal control had been useless too.

Anyone know a "good / decent" setup to reload brass? I'm totally knew to it and would be wanting to work on reloading 5.7x28mm first, then maybe .308, 5.56, 9mm and finally possibly 12 gauge shotgun shells.

Is that you, Dean?

2kDgdT3.png

Used-ID

My Obsidian 45 finally came in.

How is that FNH? I was thinking of getting it when I feel it's time to go from 9mm to .45...

Congrats on the approval and delivery. How long did the approval take btw? Did you go the personal route or legal trust route?

hwalker84

How is that FNH? I was thinking of getting it when I feel it's time to go from 9mm to .45...

Congrats on the approval and delivery. How long did the approval take btw? Did you go the personal route or legal trust route?

FNH 45 Tactical is an incredible gun.

Form 4 was submitted 7/4/2016. Tax stamp was approved May 18th. Tax stamp was received by the FFL on June 7th which is when I picked it up.

Edit: Trust. It's silly to not do a trust for NFA items.

Used-ID

I've been toying with a creating trust for several things, firearms just being one part.

I'd love to put a 10 inch barrel on the PS90.

Also I remember reading somewhere that Texas law allows a gun to shoot twice with 1 trigger pull (probably a holdover for double barreled shotguns), which makes me wonder what the exact law language is....

Top Bottom