• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any longterm Nintendo fans find the low tech route frustrating?

Quackula

I'm not really that bothered by it, but I do kinda miss the days when Nintendo was pushing cutting edge tech along with everyone else.

AniHawk

I'm not really that bothered by it, but I do kinda miss the days when Nintendo was pushing cutting edge tech along with everyone else.

the snes came out 2 years after the genesis, the n64 came out 2 years after the saturn/psx, and the gamecube came out 2-3 years after the ps2/dc. nintendo always preferred to sit on tech while the price came down, and for the most part, they could afford the wait.

It really frustrated me last gen, with the DS being and its super crappy 3D (2D games looked great though), and the Wii with its sd display that look like crap on an HD TV. But the 3DS finally has decent 3D (even if it's not up to the standard of high end smartphones and the Vita, but 3DS games look fine), and Wii U games won't magically look like shit one the PS4 and the next Xbox will be released, they will look outdated but good.

So I'm okay with Nintendo this gen. I'm worried about third party support for the Wii U though, it will be a pain to adapt "next gen" games on Wii U. I'll play these games on my PC though, so I don't care that much about that in the end. I'm not sure if I'll play that much third party games on the next Xbox and PS4 too, just like I don't play that much of these games on my PS3 and 360, the PC is just a much better platform, especially now with Steam.

rjc571

Banned
Okay I am nintendo fun and not care about graphics but believe me when i saw Zelda Wii U i were shocked .

Graphics + Fun= perfect game..Fun -Graphics= Good game not perfect.

I wish we get Pikmin 3 with Graphics like Disney UP.

Still didn't see Ps4 & 720 Graphics to know the result with Wii U.

Videogame graphics are never going to reach anywhere near the same level of detail as Up. You might as well quit gaming now if your standards are that high.

just tray

Banned
Yeah why add voice? I mean reading words has the same emotional appeal as facial expressions, tone of voice, etc.Even arcade and Psn games have voices.That's why Nintendo characters aren't as big as they could be. Their characters talk in their cartoons so why not their games? When you watch the Super Bowl watch them in subtitles because u know, voices don't matter. Guess I have been too spoiled by the Skyrims, Mass Effects,Fables, Uncharteds, etc. I am glad that at least one Japanese console maker gets it. You have to be modern to compete at a rate that satisfies investors.

Stop being so damn conservative Nintendo! Their Wii-u third party support is going to shrink considerably in the next few years because of newer and better tech and no third party game is going to start development on the Wii-U then ported to nextbox and ps4 (even though it makes mores sense to start on the wii-u with 360 and ps3 still selling) Developer A is going to want to be better than Developer B so the big titles will be made with the Nextbox and ps4 in mind first.

Who wouldn't love a Zelda with VA?

mantidor

I hate it mostly because:

A) It supposedly gets compensated by interesting tech and for the Wii U, it just isn't interesting enough to make up.

B) It gets in the way of game availability i.e. Devs who don't want to port because of weaker hardware (or in relation to A, the control scheme).

Well maybe this is mostly the Wii U. I'm perfectly satisfied with the 3DS but that may just be the nature of that part of the industry (where the 3DS is getting most of the games and it at least does things the PSP could never do despite being extremely weaker than the Vita).

People dismiss point A too early, Nintendo really doesn't go the "low" tech route, they just don't follow the "graphics" route, but the technology is there. The streaming on the WiiU is impressive, motion controls were also new tech. They also are extremely conservative which is why we didn't get state of the art motion, it would have simply been too expensive, for us as consumers and for them.

And that's the thing with gaming, you innovate or you die, Nintendo understand this too well and that's why the always come up with "gimmicks", we can already see the market shrinking again, we as actual enthusiasts would be happy with the same thing for decades, but the market would collapse.

Point B is just excuses at this point, grudges from old times or simply the fact that Nintendo just isn't "cool" seem to be the real reason of lack of support, very few developers even tried to give motion a chance, and the same seems to be happening with the WiiU, no longer the HD excuse will be enough, but surely they will come up with some other.

I see no real "low" tech in Nintendo endeavours, so I can't really be frustrated as a consumer. gaming quality is there, the games look awesome as well.

I don't see at all how it makes or breaks the game, you people must have an aneurysm when watching silent movies I guess.

I wouldn't love it, but I would be willing to tolerate it, VA acting is rarely something that adds to any game anyway.

Yeah why add voice? I mean reading words has the same emotional appeal as facial expressions, tone of voice, etc.Even arcade and Psn games have voices.That's why Nintendo characters aren't as big as they could be. Their characters talk in their cartoons so why not their games? When you watch the Super Bowl watch them in subtitles because u know, voices don't matter. Guess I have been too spoiled by the Skyrims, Mass Effects,Fables, Uncharteds, etc. I am glad that at least one Japanese console maker gets it. You have to be modern to compete at a rate that satisfies investors.

Stop being so damn conservative Nintendo! Their Wii-u third party support is going to shrink considerably in the next few years because of newer and better tech and no third party game is going to start development on the Wii-U then ported to nextbox and ps4 (even though it makes mores sense to start on the wii-u with 360 and ps3 still selling) Developer A is going to want to be better than Developer B so the big titles will be made with the Nextbox and ps4 in mind first.

To the first part of this post:

You don't seem to be getting it. The decision to have voice acting in their video games isn't some sort of arrogant decision. It's based on many factors including the fanbase. You act as if Nintendo is just digging their heels in and refusing to move along with the times. To that end, I'm going to tell you something that you might not realize...

All games don't need voice acting.

To the second, developer issues with the WiiU don't have as much to do with the powerbase of that system as you think. It's certainly a factor, because yes, the WiiU doesn't have the slickest, hottest new tech, but the gamepad opens up a ton of creative opportunities that could be used to make unique third party offerings. The problem is that in this new gaming wasteland, there aren't nearly as many risks taken, and videogames are being made with the ability to be played on multiple systems. Third parties USED to make games that were console exclusive. Back in the days of the SNES and the Genesis, you had SEVERAL compelling reasons to own both systems! Both first and third party offerings were varied and unique. Once we got to the PS2/Xbox/GCN days, that slowed way down, and now, here we are.

I'm not interested in a bunch of crappy ports of shooters. I want third parties to take chances and give unique experiences. I want people to stop bitching about low power and use what's there to create something special and varied in experience.

And finally, I don't want voice in Zelda, and many, many other people don't either.

I've always been fine with Nintendo not focusing completely on graphics/hardware as they seem to get the most out of whatever limitations they have on the system through unique design decisions and innovative control schemes ("gimmicks", I guess people would call them). With a Nintendo system you know you'll be getting an experience that you probably couldn't get anywhere else, for better or for worse.

Sony and Microsoft (Sony especially) aim more towards building a strong gaming console which is about pumping out the stunning visuals and less about creating a gameplay experience which is completely unique to their system. It just seems like they've geared more towards making a console which does the same thing as a higher-end PC can do at around the same cost. I can't deny that Sony and Microsoft do come out with some pretty unique gameplay experiences of their own, but personally it isn't on the same level as the innovative/unique styling of some games on Nintendo systems.

That said, it is somewhat frustrating when Nintendo makes some of the strange decisions like the weak CPU/bandwith of the Wii U, but somehow the games always manage to be just as fun (sometimes even more fun) as what can be found on games on other consoles.

Top Bottom